• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Very Important Text-Based D&D discussion

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
I got so much catching up to do with this thread since every time I’ve had my phone in my hand I’ve been dicking around with settings to come up with something cool for this…

Joe Biden Thank You GIF by The Democrats

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor

I just dig the positive reaction it’s getting… it’ll be fun for y’all to do something a little less traumatic. I’ve expressed concern about how these wolf games are weighing on people for a while now to different people in conversation, and even though things have sorted themselves out each time… there always seems to be some kind of casualty, and in the case of this recent game, I think it became pretty clear pretty quickly that we may have lost a good one.

It sucks losing anyone, I’m disappointed that we’ve lost the people that we’ve lost prior to this, especially for some of the reasons that we’ve lost them. This seems like something much less competitive, and if that’ll help mend some fences then I’m down to do what I can to help. From an admin standpoint, you don’t want to be that guy to say “if y’all can’t play without hurting each other, y’all can’t play at all” to one of the biggest draws of the community, but at the same time you don’t like just sitting back and watching person after person roll out because of shit that should be able to be resolved, should have never happened to begin with, or should have been addressed differently. The fact that people are this passionate about this project already is reassuring to me, because I know we have the potential to make something cool with this community as long as we work together.

Dragmire

So I think something we're gonna have to overcome pretty quickly is being able to keep the narrative moving at not a snail's pace. If I imagine a party of like half a dozen communicating over a forum, you can spend quite a long time mulling over a singular experience. I wonder how to best structure things so we don't get stuck everywhere way too long

VashTheStampede

Jawneh is possibly The Sorcerer
You think you've seen trauma? Wait until someone loses a character that's gone through 3 campaigns and lived and loved and lost for an entire lifetime.

I'll show you trauma.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Little does anyone know the ulterior motive I have is to just kill everyone over and over again as DM.

This implies I’m not already a sadistic fuck that would thoroughly enjoy watching one of you mindfuck a group of y’all for shits and giggles and do everything possible to enable it within my capabilities.

VashTheStampede

So I think something we're gonna have to overcome pretty quickly is being able to keep the narrative moving at not a snail's pace. If I imagine a party of like half a dozen communicating over a forum, you can spend quite a long time mulling over a singular experience. I wonder how to best structure things so we don't get stuck everywhere way too long
Yeah, I'm gonna do a bit of reading on how people have done it previously. It's doable, but it might take some trial and error.

VashTheStampede

I think a lot of it will have to be up to the DMs to be very targeted with decisions.

Like say occasionally deciding on a specific character for each interaction. This would also help ensure each player gets equal time to shine and we don't have Main Character Syndrome issues.

Reactions: Ben

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Alright, I’m *kinda* caught up with this thread and I think I caught the general ideas among the character renders and realizations that Tommy is just gonna play the same character in every game.

To those of you that aren’t Vash, Ben, or Christina… I have a forum set up and have given Ben and Vash the ability to play around with the user fields so we can come up with a good way to implement the stats and all that fun stuff.

We’re gonna take our time knocking the rust off of Vash and ensure that Ben doesn’t have plans to nuke you idiots that spammed the Bengay image because you couldn’t get more original and tease him about his haircut or something, so don’t be surprised if you notice weird user fields show up on your profile. You don’t need to worry about filling anything out until the game actually begins, because I don’t wanna be that asshole and delete your character backstory that you spent 3 hours creating since you noticed the field and figured you’d get an early start. Don’t be an eager beaver. We are old. We are slow. We aren’t smart. Mostly.

If you’d like to get involved in the building process, I think it would be better to reach out to @VashTheStampede or whoever ends up taking the lead on it and see what y’all can work out. I’m just the button pusher and chief instigator here.

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
I get it. Ben is fun to pick on. He did not make it to admin without being “hazed” (tortured?), that’s for sure. He had both Maj and I making his life a living hell. In real-time. On AIM. On voice chat. On the forums. It was inescapable if he was online.
im right here schitts creek GIF by CBC

I get it though. I was a big dick. The biggest dick.

Moonsprout Beandirt

Connoisseur of fine video games
I get it. Ben is fun to pick on. He did not make it to admin without being “hazed” (tortured?), that’s for sure. He had both Maj and I making his life a living hell. In real-time. On AIM. On voice chat. On the forums. It was inescapable if he was online.
It's his fault for trying to force rules on a group of unruly teenagers. It's like he was a substitute teacher at age 17 😂

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
It's his fault for trying to force rules on a group of unruly teenagers. It's like he was a substitute teacher at age 17 😂

Because y’all ding dongs were GENTLEFOLK AND SCHOLARS? Right? Ben’s only examples of how to do the job came in the form of Maj and I dealing with …people… or watching his ex go about it a nicer way until… she didn’t.

I would NOT have used teenage me as a role model for shit. Not even make believe internet power.

How DARE I? Though I legit can't remember what came first, you twats being twats, or my trying to out-twat you all. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Wait, I do remember. Mark started it all.

They were definitely twats first. Remember, the purpose of PIMI/CV/etc. was so they had a place all their own… we TRIED to contain it.

It was undoubtedly us being twats, and you trying to be fair despite that 😂

Fair went out the window after someone irked the staff enough back then. There were too many people and not enough patience to go around, so if you ended up on the shit list back then, you got fucked with until you snapped and got banned.

Cartman infamously is mad about having a small penis.

But that's not what I'm saying about you. Just your choice in character

We don’t kink shame here, just keep it to the DM’s. No one likes unsolicited dick pics. I don’t care what that girl at the bar said back when you were in college.

Tuberius of Wadawurrung

CFO of Shitposting, Head of Data & Insights
Guys I'm only on page 2 because of focusing on my game, please don't take my silence as me not going keen to play. Looking at it I have a very steep learning curve but when I catch up I'm still down

I may need a Sherpa! And may need to watch a campaign (is that the right word?) before I play as I don't want to ruin good players fun

Reactions: Ben
Guys I'm only on page 2 because of focusing on my game, please don't take my silence as me not going keen to play. Looking at it I have a very steep learning curve but when I catch up I'm still down

I may need a Sherpa! And may need to watch a campaign (is that the right word?) before I play as I don't want to ruin good players fun
I've never played before. We also might have a "legit crew" and a "just for fun crew"

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor

Don’t worry, as with 98% of content here, it’s mostly bullshitting around with an impressive 2% of actual brainstorming as opposed to the usual 1% of general activity and 1% of emotional torture with 98% of bullshit.

didn't realize "I'm a 23 year old sophomore no wait don't tell the people who work here" would be a useful addition to this conversation.

I got nothing… I ain’t dealing with you… I gotta smoke more first.

@Ben - @Tubby23 is a beast master who talks to animals, but every animal he meets insults him, so he keeps his ears covered. He also wears his clothing upside down because he’s from a land down under.

Let’s see his artwork

THIS is gonna be good.

Someone needs to split out character development talk and game development talk

I’m working on it. Considering opening up the main D&D forum and moving it all there since the DM forum can still be used for the building part.

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
@VashTheStampede @Mark

So here's where I got things to so far:

1000003820.jpg

Everything shows on the "More" link in it's own section. I would have stuck it below the contact info but I don't think I can reorder categories. So I just tried to group them as I could. I'll try to work on the alignment later.

Options are found on the Account Details page.

1000003826.jpg

Most are basic text or dropdown fields. The alignment is multiple choice, so I tried to convey only pick two. Dropping a URL into the character sheet box should make it an active link. I imagine I can get the character picture on there too, it'll just likely have to be uploaded externally. I'll work on that later, too.

1000003825.jpg

Attachments

• 1000003821.jpg
    1000003821.jpg
    638.8 KB · Views: 1

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
@VashTheStampede @Mark

So here's where I got things to so far:

View attachment 5140

Everything shows on the "More" link in it's own section. I would have stuck it below the contact info but I don't think I can reorder categories. So I just tried to group them as I could. I'll try to work on the alignment later.

Options are found on the Account Details page.

View attachment 5142

Most are basic text or dropdown fields. The alignment is multiple choice, so I tried to convey only pick two. Dropping a URL into the character sheet box should make it an active link. I imagine I can get the character picture on there too, it'll just likely have to be uploaded externally. I'll work on that later, too.

View attachment 5143

This looks great, you definitely made it work with what we have here.

Back
Top Bottom