• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Very Important Text-Based D&D discussion

Zesty Zapcrackle

Diplomatic Immunity
200.gif
cat GIF

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
I really am impressed with how quickly this is coming together. There’s no way in hell we would have been able to configure this without doing a lot of homework on the game or having a lot of dialogue with y’all.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
I just appreciate the effort y'all have been putting in for all this

It’s just like anything else here, dude. We want it to succeed because we want to make this place a reflection of what everyone enjoyed about the old forums, and the best way to do that is to give the people what they want.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
So… what do y’all want the DM badge to be? Went looking for a few ideas to get some gears turning.

IMG_5587.pngIMG_5586.pngIMG_5585.png

I like the red one personally, but I'm no DM so I don't get a vote :D
You could be one day if you wanted to. A D&D story doesn't have to be big or have a lot of people. You can be a DM for 1 other person if you wanted. There are also ways with random encounter generator type stuff to do a solo campaign just by yourself. I think it could be lots of fun to see the different types of DMs and stories we can have in this place.

Zesty Zapcrackle

Diplomatic Immunity
You could be one day if you wanted to. A D&D story doesn't have to be big or have a lot of people. You can be a DM for 1 other person if you wanted. There are also ways with random encounter generator type stuff to do a solo campaign just by yourself. I think it could be lots of fun to see the different types of DMs and stories we can have in this place.
I am neither creative enough, nor do I have the patience though, lol.

That said I vowed I would never GM a game of wolf either... lol

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
The photoshop trial I had could only scale to a minimum of 50x50, so I still couldn’t scale them appropriately.
You should check out GIMP. After I stopped being a pirate, and therefore stopped using Photoshop, it's honestly filled every niche I've needed it for. Sure it's not got all the new super advanced features like AI outpainting or whatever, but it's A+ for GNU software.

I disabled a lot of these fields from displaying on the post display itself. I just left the name enabled, with everything else under "more".

I also worked on getting an image to fit in there. My largest problem with it was not having luck trying to plug an imgur link in here, but that's got to be something about inline linking from that specific service. For this test, I honestly just linked directly to the GWF attachment URL that I'd uploaded in this thread. I'm not 100% on whether this is going to cause any substantial server lag, nor whether it's being loaded all the time even when you don't expand the More section. @Crystal @Mark I'll put that one on you two, whether you're okay with me directing people to upload any image as an attachment under whatever thread we choose, then using that URL. Alternately, if you know of another preferred image service that'll work as an alternative that'd work too.

1703385565919.png

• Love
Reactions: Jon

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
You should check out GIMP. After I stopped being a pirate, and therefore stopped using Photoshop, it's honestly filled every niche I've needed it for. Sure it's not got all the new super advanced features like AI outpainting or whatever, but it's A+ for GNU software.

I disabled a lot of these fields from displaying on the post display itself. I just left the name enabled, with everything else under "more".

I also worked on getting an image to fit in there. My largest problem with it was not having luck trying to plug an imgur link in here, but that's got to be something about inline linking from that specific service. For this test, I honestly just linked directly to the GWF attachment URL that I'd uploaded in this thread. I'm not 100% on whether this is going to cause any substantial server lag, nor whether it's being loaded all the time even when you don't expand the More section. @Crystal @Mark I'll put that one on you two, whether you're okay with me directing people to upload any image as an attachment under whatever thread we choose, then using that URL. Alternately, if you know of another preferred image service that'll work as an alternative that'd work too.

View attachment 5196
What if I setup an ftp account that you, Vash, Mark (and Cole if he wants to jump in!) and myself can access to upload images to a directory on GWF?

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
What if I setup an ftp account that you, Vash, Mark (and Cole if he wants to jump in!) and myself can access to upload images to a directory on GWF?
That's an option and perhaps the best one, it'll just put more on us to help configure/maintain each player's profile.

But I was just thinking how there's potential for people to abuse it if they're just given free reign to include their own image link, and to give the full link to the D&DBeyond profile. I need to redo the character sheet field and require that they drop their sheet ID into it, to parse into the full link, not just ask for the full link. The character image would be more secure if it was just us able to fill that one out, and/or if I similarly make it require they drop the attachment ID into the custom field and not an entire img URL.

VashTheStampede

Jawneh is possibly The Sorcerer
Now I'm starting to realize that my biggest problem is too many people wanting to play for a single campaign.

Gonna have to run a couple at a time.

Gonna need a lot of caffeine. :link

• Haha
Reactions: Jon

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
That's an option and perhaps the best one, it'll just put more on us to help configure/maintain each player's profile.

But I was just thinking how there's potential for people to abuse it if they're just given free reign to include their own image link, and to give the full link to the D&DBeyond profile. I need to redo the character sheet field and require that they drop their sheet ID into it, to parse into the full link, not just ask for the full link. The character image would be more secure if it was just us able to fill that one out, and/or if I similarly make it require they drop the attachment ID into the custom field and not an entire img URL.
Hmm. Well if all they could enter was the filename and it is then appended to the remainder of the URL, that also cuts down on the ability to input full URLs, but you're right, it might just be easier to use the attachment id (still potential for abuse there, as they could upload anything anywhere and use that id). I'll let you decide, I'm good with either if it'll work. :)

Dungeon Master

Blind Guardian
Hmm. Well if all they could enter was the filename and it is then appended to the remainder of the URL, that also cuts down on the ability to input full URLs, but you're right, it might just be easier to use the attachment id (still potential for abuse there, as they could upload anything anywhere and use that id). I'll let you decide, I'm good with either if it'll work. :)

I tweaked it to this for now. It's at least a whole lot more secure, and if they did upload an attachment that's inappropriate then staff here have the ability to delete it fairly easily. Plus it'd be attached on a post, so it'd hopefully get moderator eyes anyway.

For the Images, I've got it pointing to "https://gwforums.com/attachments/FILENAME/" with it accepting "1000003808-png.5128" in the custom field.
For the Character Sheet, it's pointing to "https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/CHARACTERID" and accepting "115107227" in the custom field.

So if anything not uploaded as an attachment on GWF is inserted, it'll show a broken image. If anything not a valid character ID is entered, it'll be a broken link. That should be enough guardrails to stop it being horribly abused for now.

I tweaked it to this for now. It's at least a whole lot more secure, and if they did upload an attachment that's inappropriate then staff here have the ability to delete it fairly easily. Plus it'd be attached on a post, so it'd hopefully get moderator eyes anyway.

For the Images, I've got it pointing to "https://gwforums.com/attachments/FILENAME/" with it accepting "1000003808-png.5128" in the custom field.
For the Character Sheet, it's pointing to "https://www.dndbeyond.com/characters/CHARACTERID" and accepting "115107227" in the custom field.

So if anything not uploaded as an attachment on GWF is inserted, it'll show a broken image. If anything not a valid character ID is entered, it'll be a broken link. That should be enough guardrails to stop it being horribly abused for now.
I’m not sure how to add the Kutshort image to my profile

Crystal

Formerly Apollo

Perfect! If that works long term, awesome, if not we can look at any other ideas, including ftp to make sure we have something that'll work.

• Cheers!
Reactions: Ben
Back
Top Bottom