• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

September Debate thread

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
But I'm still a LEGAL alien, so that won't work.
200.gif

same

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
That broke my brain when I heard it. Did he just randomly string together a bunch of fear mongering topics? Does the threat of that make enough sense to anybody to scare them?
Between claiming immigrants were eating dogs and schools were sending kids home with vaginas, yeah, he's pretty much off the rails.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
That broke my brain when I heard it. Did he just randomly string together a bunch of fear mongering topics? Does the threat of that make enough sense to anybody to scare them?

Remember when SEO tag clouds were a big thing to display on websites and all you had to do was go to the tag page and see all of the different keywords in varying font sizes?

Yeah. That’s my guess.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
From what I've seen, it's a conspiracy theory pushed online that JD Vance might have picked up, and Trump overheard it. I at least saw some "omg you guys actually got him to repeat this on TV lol" reddit post.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
From what I've seen, it's a conspiracy theory pushed online that JD Vance might have picked up, and Trump overheard it. I at least saw some "omg you guys actually got him to repeat this on TV lol" reddit post.

That’s what I’ve gathered, and the same goes for the whole cat-eating thing. There was probably some isolated incident in Ohio somewhere (because, of course, Ohio) where someone did something down those lines and it got blown up into house pets being snatched up by ravenous, starving migrants and doggos on the grill. We really can’t say that something down those lines hasn’t happened despite no reports, either, because how much crime goes unreported everyday? Point being… even if one person… or even a few dozen did do what is being claimed, because consuming animals that we consider pets is normal in other cultures, that’s by no means the pet-crazed zombie horde we were being told about last night.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
I keep trying to fathom the perspective super rich people have on the world. Like... I'm pretty sure a lot of them don't even see society at large as people. If you can hit and kill a pedestrian with your car and just have your rich daddy pay off the judge, do you truly learn any lesson?

Elon is even worse, because his daddy had an emerald mine and I'm sure he didn't treat his 'employees' all that well.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I keep trying to fathom the perspective super rich people have on the world. Like... I'm pretty sure a lot of them don't even see society at large as people. If you can hit and kill a pedestrian with your car and just have your rich daddy pay off the judge, do you truly learn any lesson?

Elon is even worse, because his daddy had an emerald mine and I'm sure he didn't treat his 'employees' all that well.

I’ve rubbed elbows with money rich people, but nowhere near that scale. Not a single one of them had a clue. The closest thing I’ve ever seen to someone become rich and stay grounded was a dude that hit the lottery for several hundred grand. Never quit his job. You’d never know he has money, because he doesn’t show it. Otherwise… catch a celebrity or a professional athlete within your professional capacity, it won’t take long to see how they really feel about you.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
What exactly is the conspiracy? Immigrants are being forced to change gender against their will? They want the surgery and it's just a waste of tax payer money? Any reason why specifically immigrants in jail that get the surgeries?

It was a mixture of things. Where Harris, as AG argued that immigrants should get healthcare in prison, and then there was something else when she was senator where I believe she voted to allow prisoners to get gender reassignment drugs as they needed.

So it became she's making immigrants get their gender changed in prison.

It was a mixture of things. Where Harris, as AG argued that immigrants should get healthcare in prison, and then there was something else when she was senator where I believe she voted to allow prisoners to get gender reassignment drugs as they needed.

So it became she's making immigrants get their gender changed in prison.
He’s, as Homer Simpson says, smart… s-m-r-t.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
What exactly is the conspiracy? Immigrants are being forced to change gender against their will? They want the surgery and it's just a waste of tax payer money? Any reason why specifically immigrants in jail that getjail that get the surgeries?
I actually meant the pet eating thing being a JD conspiracy.

I actually meant the pet eating thing being a JD conspiracy.
No. That actually started with a literal neo nazi posting a video of a woman in a mental health crisis who killed and ate part of her own cat and then racistly said Haitian immigrants were doing that at large scale and it wasn't an isolated incident involving someone who needed help.

Then the right wing ignored the nazi part and thought they could score anti immigrant points on Harris with it.

And also grabbed a picture of a guy, not in the same area, carrying a dead goose, and said it was more hatians in the same area.

Reactions: Ben

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
There is an entire side of culture that's just... What the fuck dude.

But there are also people in America who legitimately think werewolves are real and living in the woods, and sometimes I wonder how much that weird paranormal streak overlaps with the right.

It's gotta come down to just some complete lack of critical thinking and blind faith in what your circle says. Jimmy said he saw Bigfoot in his bedroom so he must be telling the truth, never mind the paint thinner stored in Jimmy's bedroom closet.

(tangent, ho)

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
There is an entire side of culture that's just... What the fuck dude.

But there are also people in America who legitimately think werewolves are real and living in the woods, and sometimes I wonder how much that weird paranormal streak overlaps with the right.

It's gotta come down to just some complete lack of critical thinking and blind faith in what your circle says. Jimmy said he saw Bigfoot in his bedroom so he must be telling the truth, never mind the paint thinner stored in Jimmy's bedroom closet.

(tangent, ho)

Exactly, and part of the issue is these bullshit stories are built on fragments of truth. Do other cultures eat animals we’ve domesticated? Yup. And some even think what goes into a Big Mac is an animal of holy significance. The fact is, even if there are people out there chomping on someone’s outdoor cat, they’ve grown to do so by necessity. Baltimore has crabs. New England has clams and lobster. Texas has beef. Louisiana has crawfish. People make what they have work, and not everyone is acclimated to American life just yet. There are people born here that don’t know how to behave “civilized” by our country’s fickle definition. When you factor in someone having a mental health crisis like the story here? Man… we live in the same damn country where people were snorting bath salts and turning into flesh-eating zombies several years ago. How is it that hard for people to comprehend that when someone is going through it, they might do something that could raise some eyebrows? The mind is a crazy thing, and adding chemicals to it or having your body produce too many or not enough of one or the other chemical is not some far-fetched thing… the dots are there to connect.

More viewers than the Biden one. More younger viewers especially. 69% of Trump supporters admit that Harris did better in the debate according to this as well.

Also in there: ~340,000 people went to vote.org directly from Taylor Swift's Instagram post to register to vote. In a single day.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Good thing her endorsement isn't important, huh, Donald?!

This is part of my issue with celebrity endorsements… people would be singing a different song if someone with her reach endorsed Trump. I don’t like the fact that a celebrity has more of a say in how an election could turn out than your average voter, because all it takes is one to endorse the “wrong” candidate.

This is part of my issue with celebrity endorsements… people would be singing a different song if someone with her reach endorsed Trump. I don’t like the fact that a celebrity has more of a say in how an election could turn out than your average voter, because all it takes is one to endorse the “wrong” candidate.
I don't disagree, but there is a reason Trump gets people like Hulk Hogan, Kid Rock and Elon Musk and Harris is getting people like Swift, George Clooney and Viola Davis.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I don't disagree, but there is a reason Trump gets people like Hulk Hogan, Kid Rock and Elon Musk and Harris is getting people like Swift, George Clooney and Viola Davis.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad that he’s only pulling those kind of names, but, imagine what it would be like if he managed to get in the ear of a “decent” celebrity… the type of individual he is, he’d take that endorsement and run wild with it as he has with the C and D list celebrities he has gotten endorsements from. Yeah, I admit, it’s a little speculative, but I always try to think about the flip side to these kind of situations and how it could adversely impact things. In light of recent events, it doesn’t seem as impactful, but, imagine a generation of voters who grew up watching Mr. Beast or one of those other streamers following their political endorsements. You’d have millions of fresh voters ignorantly siding with someone, much like those 340,000+ people who had no dog in the race until Taylor Swift said it was cool to vote for a candidate. They’re not voting for Harris because they’ve had a revelation about her policies, they’re just following the herd… and that’s exactly how we ended up in the position to begin with where Donny is a legitimate candidate.

Reactions: Jon
You’d have millions of fresh voters ignorantly siding with someone, much like those 340,000+ people who had no dog in the race until Taylor Swift said it was cool to vote for a candidate. They’re not voting for Harris because they’ve had a revelation about her policies, they’re just following the herd… and that’s exactly how we ended up in the position to begin with where Donny is a legitimate candidate.
You don’t know they are ignorantly siding with her or that they have no dog in the race. They are likely people who never registered because they didn’t think it was important. They still may not vote come November

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
You don’t know they are ignorantly siding with her or that they have no dog in the race. They are likely people who never registered because they didn’t think it was important. They still may not vote come November

You’re right, I can’t say that for sure, but, it isn’t beyond the realm of possibility that it’s true either. That’s like speculating that the “it” team would be different in the NFL if she was dating a Tennessee Titans player instead… or friendship bracelets wouldn’t be a big thing if she favored anklets instead. People are fickle and indecisive, and often look to their role models when making choices. That doesn’t necessarily mean that they don’t share the same beliefs as the party they chose after her endorsement, but, the fact that it took that endorsement to pull them off of the fence is what concerns me… because all it’ll take is the wrong endorsement to shift the scale. It reminds me of the “Vote or Die” campaign during the heyday of MTV’s TRL era… think about the impact that campaign had, it brought comparable numbers to register years before the viral nature of the modern internet.

the thing with trump is that he has been in/around hollywood and celebrity circles for decades longer than any us politician and he has had all of that time to curry favor and whisper sweet covfefes in peoples ears. and if his a-team after all that time is musk, the hulkster, kid rock, ted nugent, and the proud to be an american guy, it means he spent 30+ years building connections and all he has to show for it is a music festival for people who are one bad decision away from being neo-nazis

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
the thing with trump is that he has been in/around hollywood and celebrity circles for decades longer than any us politician and he has had all of that time to curry favor and whisper sweet covfefes in peoples ears. and if his a-team after all that time is musk, the hulkster, kid rock, ted nugent, and the proud to be an american guy, it means he spent 30+ years building connections and all he has to show for it is a music festival for people who are one bad decision away from being neo-nazis

I agree, but I’m not necessarily referring to Trump specifically. He’ll be dead inside of a decade, so he won’t matter. What will matter are the up-and-coming politicians taking notes on the recent elections… you know damn well that the next shithead is out there strategizing, thinking to themselves “if Donald Trump can…”, and that’s what really concerns me. Collectively, as a society, we’ve shown our strengths and weaknesses when it comes to choosing a president. That’s a recipe for disaster in the future if we don’t get a grip.

I agree, but I’m not necessarily referring to Trump specifically. He’ll be dead inside of a decade, so he won’t matter. What will matter are the up-and-coming politicians taking notes on the recent elections… you know damn well that the next shithead is out there strategizing, thinking to themselves “if Donald Trump can…”, and that’s what really concerns me. Collectively, as a society, we’ve shown our strengths and weaknesses when it comes to choosing a president. That’s a recipe for disaster in the future if we don’t get a grip.
Much agreed, the road is paved for Nazism to come back, and if we're not careful, we might very well end up repeating history.

Trump coming into politics was bad enough, but we've seen firsthand how bad of a precedent it set and how other right-wing populists have gained traction over the years. It wasn't that Nazism was dead or anything, but rather dormant like a volcano. Well, now that volcano is active again and we have ourselves a dangerous situation on our hands.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Much agreed, the road is paved for Nazism to come back, and if we're not careful, we might very well end up repeating history.

Trump coming into politics was bad enough, but we've seen firsthand how bad of a precedent it set and how other right-wing populists have gained traction over the years. It wasn't that Nazism was dead or anything, but rather dormant like a volcano. Well, now that volcano is active again and we have ourselves a dangerous situation on our hands.

The wild thing is, that’s just one harmful ideology. There are countless others out there that could sneak right on by while focused on any specific one, and that’s where my concern is rooted. Trump’s dangerous because of his ego, but it’s all self-serving for the most part. Ego is the root of the problem, but it can branch off beyond a self-serving dickbag and into real dangerous territory pretty quickly. Like @Jon mentioned earlier in another thread… it’s wild that we’re at a point in the timeline where people wish we were back to the likes of Bush running the GOP… and you remember what people thought of the guy back then. Fast-forward 10-15 years… I hope I’m wrong, but we could be wishing for an egomaniac that just wants to seem impressive instead of whoever sits behind the desk then.

• Respect
The wild thing is, that’s just one harmful ideology. There are countless others out there that could sneak right on by while focused on any specific one, and that’s where my concern is rooted. Trump’s dangerous because of his ego, but it’s all self-serving for the most part. Ego is the root of the problem, but it can branch off beyond a self-serving dickbag and into real dangerous territory pretty quickly. Like @Jon mentioned earlier in another thread… it’s wild that we’re at a point in the timeline where people wish we were back to the likes of Bush running the GOP… and you remember what people thought of the guy back then. Fast-forward 10-15 years… I hope I’m wrong, but we could be wishing for an egomaniac that just wants to seem impressive instead of whoever sits behind the desk then.
It's sad that we're at that point right now. It's sad that we look back on people like Bush running the GOP as more favorable.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I doubt anyone went from "I don't care about the election at all" to "I'm voting for Harris because TayTay said so". Maybe they watched the debate after she mentioned it and felt inspired to vote. Maybe they're just registering and will look more into which candidate better speaks to them.

Anything that gets more people to vote is good. We'd have a lot less pandering to extremists if everybody voted.

I doubt anyone went from "I don't care about the election at all" to "I'm voting for Harris because TayTay said so". Maybe they watched the debate after she mentioned it and felt inspired to vote. Maybe they're just registering and will look more into which candidate better speaks to them.

Anything that gets more people to vote is good. We'd have a lot less pandering to extremists if everybody voted.
I don't know, people are known to be fickle like sheep. One thing I'll never discount is the sheer ignorance of the general populace.

I think a lot of 18-20 years olds are more inspired to vote because she says so. When I was 18 I was into politics but most aren’t. Most don’t care. And it’s those young voters that are missing to stop extreme maga idiots from taking over. Kids don’t have the same “it’s a civic duty for our future” mentality that older generations have. I think she wields a lot of influence over the younger crown than either side will admit

I think a lot of 18-20 years olds are more inspired to vote because she says so. When I was 18 I was into politics but most aren’t. Most don’t care. And it’s those young voters that are missing to stop extreme maga idiots from taking over. Kids don’t have the same “it’s a civic duty for our future” mentality that older generations have. I think she wields a lot of influence over the younger crown than either side will admit
Same can be said for influencers, especially those with large followings. Unfortunately, every damn single one of them are known to be terrible pieces of shit....

In the wake of the new right wing talking point that Kamala and one of the moderators are part of the same sorority (at different schools and years apart):

View attachment 20516
Thanks for this @VashTheStampede

This is exactly what it felt like watching it and it’s good to see it described. He was going to get the last word no matter what. And they let it happen. Can’t cry foul when you won the bullying aspect of the debate.

But he still got his ass kicked.

Thanks for this @VashTheStampede

This is exactly what it felt like watching it and it’s good to see it described. He was going to get the last word no matter what. And they let it happen. Can’t cry foul when you won the bullying aspect of the debate.

But he still got his ass kicked.
Got his ass handed to him so badly he doesn't want another round, lol. Loved the look on Kamala's face when he went on that rant too.

Back
Top Bottom