• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Recent acquisitions

Smacktard

Connoisseur of fine video games
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Here's a quick look video comparing the GB, NES, SNES, and Genesis versions:

These quick look comparison vids tend to be misleading, though. Sometimes using emulators to show the differences, and also only using a single section or two to compare. Any many do not provide addition commentary.

Console Wars did a video going more into depth in comparing the SNES and Genesis versions. They also provide some brief comparisons to the NES version.

Damn, each version is so cool, but for their own reasons. I don't know which I'd prefer out of NES/SNES/Genesis...

Damn, each version is so cool, but for their own reasons. I don't know which I'd prefer out of NES/SNES/Genesis...
Based on the colors and some of the animations, the Genesis version seems like a straight port of the NES version with higher details and improved sound, but the SNES version changes some things so that it stands out as different for people in the 90s.

Traded in about 200 dollars with of games and strat guides. Had some discs resurfaced. My copy of Marvel vs Capcom 2 for the Xbox looks great now. It had a gnarly scratch and now I couldn't tell you where it was before.

I grabbed Motorstorm for the PS2, World Heroes 2 for the SNES, Battle Arena Toshindin for the Gameboy, Yars Revenge, Endro, and Demon Attack for the 2600.

Need more SNES and GB fighting games. I may have traded in Fatal Fury and Super Street Fighter 2, but I definitely need to find more fighting games for the system. Still annoyed I can't find a decent copy of Fatal Fury Special...

I think I've given up on Mortal Kombat games. I just cannot get into how they play. I'm honestly convinced they were only popular because of the blood and fatalities and not the gameplay because every single one I play seems to play like total ass. Even those early 2000s 3D jankfests that I found fun.

I wasn't even anticipating hitting up game stores, but I found one driving through the Ozarks.

1000008655.jpg

I FINALLY found Solaris. Found Rad Racer 2 (which I hadn't added to wish list yet), and got it for free as a part of the promotion they had going on. DKC2 was right at the market price.

The last one, the Dreamcast game, Tokyo Xtreme Racer, was an oddity in the store. They had two copies of the game. One was in a locked case for around 25-30 bucks, which is the market price of a CIB. This one was 11 bucks, and it was taped on the open edit to avoid entry. The manual alone is ~11 bucks on the market. I considered asking what was wrong with it, but chose against it and risked it.

It's a complete copy. The disc isn't even in bad shape. The disc box is not a Dreamcast game case but it has the back cover art, and the manual is definitely legit (it has the Crave Entertainment registration card. I happen to already have the game and was looking to make it a complete copy. I do not see a difference in the discs. The fact that is has the manual with registration card leads me to believe that it's legit. I don't know how the game slipped through the cracks, it was just hanging out on top of a bunch of Genesis games. Fuck it, I have a complete copy of the game and I can just trade in the other one which is just the disc and see if I can get 11 for it. The disc alone is ~18, so I feel like the local stores will be fine with it as they'll likely sell it for 20 anyway.

Also, that store was great. It had a fantastic selection of games for just about every major console that was popular. Even a solid Atari Lynx selection, and two Wonderswans. They had a Black Game Boy Pocket, but they were selling it for 70, and market rate is below 50. This store had the largest Gamecube and Wii U selections I've seen in any store in recent memory. They also had two side rooms for people to play tabletop and card games. Hell, the front counter is all cards from some game (maybe Magic, I didn't check). Also had one of those claw machines with need related goodies. And for some reason, all of the employees were female, which I actually think is a smart marketing strat. I didn't see/hear and weirdness coming from other customers, just LOTS of nerd talk. This place was great. I wish it wasn't an hour away. The game selection is worth visiting alone.

THIS is Solaris, BTW. Beware, some flashing lights and pretty colors.

That is an Atari 2600 game. A 1986 released game on a console released in 1977. Not the 5200 or 7800, a 2600. Not a fan game, either. Official release, made by ONE guy. As soon as I saw the gameplay, I knew I had to find a copy.

According to Wikipedia, it was initially being programmed for release when The Last Starfighter came out in 84, but it got scrapped. But then, Atari, needing to promote a new updated 2600, tasked the dev to finish the game. Atari did the right thing. Many consider Solaris to be one of the best games released on the system and definitely one thar has the best graphics.

Last edited:
I think that's the first Atari game I've ever seen that I think "damn I really want to play that"
If you got the Atari 50 collection, it's in there apparently. The game was less than 10 bucks and since I already had a 2600, I feel like getting what is considered to be one of the best games on the system to be a no trainer. I now have Pitfall 2, River Raid, and Solaris. I just wish H.E.R.O. wasn't 100 bucks alone loose. The emulated version in the Activision Classics for the PS1 is garbo. I don't know if it was common for people to drop bombs accidentally and then immediately die because they didn't realize it until too late, but it happened far too often when I tried it on the PS1.

Cosmic Ark is supposedly pretty good and it's stupid cheap, too.

I also got Yars Revenge a month ago along with Demon Attack and Enduro. I'm getting pretty close to where I can say I have all the games I could ever want to play for the 2600. Keeping to a library of under 20 is very likely.

Having played Solaris now, I can definitely say it's a good game. I think youre supposed to clear the areas on the map and then move on to others. I think I went into the wrong section for my skill level and got immediately destroyed.

Need something other than crappy RF to get the most out of the graphics. Supposedly the 2600 Jr is easy to mod, so I might end up doing that.

Love that I can use a Genesis controller on the 2600. The 2600 joysticks are not good for lefties.

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I'm going pretty heavy with the collecting now, but I have a problem. I have most of my games shipped to my parents' home, and when I go home once a year, I unbox the shipments and put them in plastic tubs for some day when I can eventually organize and display them. The approach I've been taking lately is focus on the more expensive ones:
1. They rise in price more quickly than the cheaper ones
2. Focusing on the expensive ones means less space is taken up in the meanwhile

Still, my parents are trying to downsize and it's getting annoying for them when they get another shipment once every couple of months. I talked to them about buying storage space and leaving my stuff there, but they backed down on that. I think I might pay for yearly storage anyway, but it doesn't solve the issue of them getting annoyed by shipments. Not quite sure how I could solve that. I could have stuff shipped to Saudi. And I sometimes do, but that could be quite cumbersome to bring back home every year. I have to lug a whole fuggin arcade board and most of my Japan pick-ups + a bunch of big-ass Saturn games home this year.

I'm not really into getting expensive titles, unless I really want them. I shelled out 90 bucks for a complete copy of Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves with the intention of selling the loose copy I have. Most of the expensive titles I would want, I already have, save for Atari Jaguar titles and select Saturn games. Most of the other expensive stuff that I'd like are "I'd like to haves but spending that kind of money is financially irresponsible" type things. Things I should just get Everdrives for.

Oh My God GIF by South Park

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I bought a few Saturn games, and I'm going to have them shipped to me in Saudi in a month or so when the weather starts to cool down. Looking forward to trying some of the better-rated titles for the system. I'll probably play DragonForce first.

I also thought of buying some repro games -- the JP-only games with English translations, like this:

I wasn't really a fan of physical repros, but the quality of these looks pretty great, and there's no official way to play the English versions, after all

I wasn't really a fan of physical repros,
I recently ordered a repro of Little Samson for the NES. I have to wait another week for it.

I have ZERO issue with physical repros of games. ESPECIALLY if they're not available by any other means (like Little Samson) and are excessively expensive on the secondary market. As long as the seller isn't trying to trick you into paying a lot of money thinking it's legit, I have no issues.

Repros are supposedly a contentious topic among collectors, but if people expect me to pay thousands of dollars for an NES game to "maintain the integrity" or some shit, they can fuck off.

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I recently ordered a repro of Little Samson for the NES. I have to wait another week for it.

I have ZERO issue with physical repros of games. ESPECIALLY if they're not available by any other means (like Little Samson) and are excessively expensive on the secondary market. As long as the seller isn't trying to trick you into paying a lot of money thinking it's legit, I have no issues.

Repros are supposedly a contentious topic among collectors, but if people expect me to pay thousands of dollars for an NES game to "maintain the integrity" or some shit, they can fuck off.
I think my issue with repros is.. if I'm getting a repro, why don't I just play the ROM or something since they're not "authentic"? But my thinking kind of changed with Dragon Force II and Silhouette Mirage. The idea of having a box with nice art and translated text is pretty cool.

I think my issue with repros is.. if I'm getting a repro, why don't I just play the ROM or something since they're not "authentic"? But my thinking kind of changed with Dragon Force II and Silhouette Mirage. The idea of having a box with nice art and translated text is pretty cool.
I want to play on original hardware, not my computer. I would love to have a repro of Panzer Dragoon Saga if it ever got made.

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I want to play on original hardware, not my computer. I would love to have a repro of Panzer Dragoon Saga if it ever got made.
oh hey it's me, ur magic wish-granting genie:

I'm think I'll probably pick up DragonForce 2, Silhouette Mirage, and Policenauts. I think any other Japan-only game I might want to play is approachable enough without needing a translation.

View attachment 18691

Dreamcast Arcade Stick - Built by Agetec and officially licensed by Sega. The stick feels really good.
So, I finally got around to putting the arcade stick through it's paces by playing around on Marvel vs Capcom 2 (also pictured). The stick works pretty well. The issue is that the buttons are borderline trash. Not because the seller screwed me over, but because they were poorly made. The start button gets stuck for no reason. The face buttons miss inputs all the time. I'm sure they work find in most normal arcade game type scenarios, but in a fast paced game like MvC2, it is not good.

Unfortunately, upgrading the buttons is not as simple as hot swapping the buttons like some more modern controllers. The holes are juuuuuust too small and it requires using a Dremel to file away at the edges to increase the size by a couple millimeters. There's also rewiring required. Pretty much work I'm not interested in doing now.

Today's pick up at today's con:
1000008862.jpg
Top down, left to right.

- Brawler 64 Wireless
- Ape Escape
- Spyro 1 Collector's Edition
- Die Hard Trilogy
- Dynasty Warriors
- PS1 memory card holder (memory cards didn't come with)
- Silent Scope
- PSO V2
- Feet of Fury
- Mario Kart DS (I am surprised I didn't have this)
- Capcom vs SNK 2 EO
- Donkey Kong Jungle Beat
- Viva Pinata
- Mega Man Anniversary Collection
- Metal Gear Solid Twin Snakes
- Motorstorm Apocalypse

Feet of Fury and the Brawler 64 controller was bought at a local store, not the con.

PSO V2 was 2 bucks! 2! Price Charting has loose copies for 16. I assume he just wanted to get rid of the games. They were in a small binder. Feet of Fury is a post discontinued release. Price Charting has it about 20 complete, I bought it for 5.

Everything except for Mario Kart was bought below market rate. All of them were at least in decent shape.

Not related to video games, but I think I'm going to make it a habit of getting Western Asian cuisine for lunch during construction. First one was Indian. Recent two were Persian (same Persian place both times).

Last edited:
Nice pickups! Let me know your thoughts on MGS:TS when you play it.
might be a while

I've been trying to reorganize my stuff and put things in protective tubs, and having to take them up and down the stairs each time I want to pay games on a system has become a hassle and leaving everything in my living room gets messy quick. Reaaaaallllllly need to set up one of my basement rooms with an entertainment system already, but everything is a total mess down there.

Back
Top Bottom