Recent acquisitions

Post your recent buys, new or old.

16951240477457719744790766412787.jpg
This order just came in today from Play-Asia. I love the Asia/Non-Specific Regional boxes -- no ugly rating stickers poster over the box art (see Ghost Trick, FF Collection).

I'm not a huge FF fan, but it seems like this is maybe the best way of owning the first 6 games.

Not sure what I'll play first out of this group, but it will probably be either Tunic or Ghost Trick.

The Lion King/Aladdin/Jungle Book bundle is cool. I never even realized there was a Jungle Book game though.
The original one didn't! It also was missing the SNES Aladdin. They re-released it a year or two after with these added games. I had the original but sold it when I heard this one was coming out. Finally got it today.

Reactions: TD
In an attempt to round out my collection, I started picking up and ordering a number of games.

List:

Kirby's Dreamland Collection (Wii)
Kirby's Return to Dreamland (Wii)
No More Heroes 2 (Wii)
Sin and Punishment Star Successor (Wii)
Super Paper Mario (Wii)
Syphon Filter (PS1)
Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2 (PS2)
Star Wars Force Unleashed 2 (360)
Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
Spyro Reignited Trilogy (Switch)
Crash Bandicoot 4 (Switch)
LoZ: Skyward Sword (Switch)
Shantae (Switch)
Nights into Dreams (Saturn)
Nights Journey of Dreams (Wii)
Obama (Gamecube)
Oddworld Stranger's Wrath (OG XBox)
Sonic Adventure DX (Gamecube)

I was surprised to find that Gamestop still has some Wii, Wii U, and Xbox 360 games. The Paper Mario game was cheaper there than any complete version being sold on Amazon. The Shantae is a Limited Run release of the original Gameboy Color. The GBC version was either completely unavailable or just way overpriced. The Saturn Nights, I bought for 45. I'm assuming it's just the disc. The seller stated the disc works, so that's enough for me. I can just order a custom box for the game. Full complete copies with box and manual were over 200 bucks. Christmas Nights just isn't happening. Seems only the Japan release is available in any capacity.

I tried looking for copies of some games both to see if anything was being sold at a decent price, or just to see just how much people were asking for.

Panzer Dragoon Saga is being sold for 3k.
MGS Twin Snakes ranges from 90 to 250. Skies of Arcadia is being sold for as little as 118 on the Dreamcast and 180 on the GCN, but those are both barebones disc only, probably has scratches offerings. Decent copies are being sold for 200+ easy. Cubivore ranges from 500 to 1400. LoZ OoT+Master Quest is 56-200.

I recently found out that there is a Bayonetta prequel game for the Switch (as well as Bayonetta 3), I feel like that thing is going to become a rare commodity. Best Buy had a copy, but not Gamestop. Also, Konami released a compilation game with all 13 of the classic TMNT games from the NES, SNES, Genesis, Gameboy, and Arcade. Definitely grabbing that at some point. There are also some other games on the Switch that I might pick up closer to the release of the next Nintendo console just like I did with the Wii U when the Switch came out. Gotta get the games I might wanna play before they're out of a reasonable price range. You guys can have the Xenoblade, Fire Emblem, and Pokemon games, though.

Some nice additions! I still have to pick up Super Paper Mario. I played it a looooong time ago and didn't like it, but I think I ought to give it another chance.
Panzer Dragoon Saga is being sold for 3k.
That is fucking insane. Just get the remake for Switch for like $50 :D
MGS Twin Snakes ranges from 90 to 250
First (and only!) MGS game I ever played. It's trash, but it is an interesting collector's item.
Cubivore ranges from 500 to 1400
I got Cubivore at the very start of the pandemic before game prices start going nuts. It's a bit janky, but surprisingly the writing in this game is fucking hilarious. I really like the game, even if it has some serious flaws.
I recently found out that there is a Bayonetta prequel game for the Switch (as well as Bayonetta 3), I feel like that thing is going to become a rare commodity
Bayonetta: Origins was quite good. I have the worst barometer ever for rarity though.

That is fucking insane. Just get the remake for Switch for like $50
So, I watched the "Wha Happun" video on the game. For some dumb reason, Sega didn't include Saga with Orta like they did for the first Dragoon game. Even worse, the source code may be lost forever, which would explain why there has never been a remake. And since copies of the game are so rare and expensive, no one made a emulator ROM for the game. If I were willing to purchase the game, I'd learn how to RIP the game and make a ROM readily available. The fact that no one who isn't swimming in disposable income can't play the game is fuckig stupid. Even Thrill Kill can be easily played and that game never officially released.

So, I watched the "Wha Happun" video on the game. For some dumb reason, Sega didn't include Saga with Orta like they did for the first Dragoon game. Even worse, the source code may be lost forever, which would explain why there has never been a remake. And since copies of the game are so rare and expensive, no one made a emulator ROM for the game. If I were willing to purchase the game, I'd learn how to RIP the game and make a ROM readily available. The fact that no one who isn't swimming in disposable income can't play the game is fuckig stupid. Even Thrill Kill can be easily played and that game never officially released.
This whole time I thought the Panzer Dragoon remake was of Panzer Dragoon Saga. Wild.

For games that were never officially released but which you can play, Bound High is a good one. Arcade-style platformer for the Virtual Boy and IMO the system's best game.

Good luck finding that anywhere at a reasonable price. It went bonkers. I got super lucky in getting my copy, but it is well worth the hype.
So...uh, when you releasing the emulator ROM for it?
Tbf I found "buy it now" prices for CIB for 1k. Still crazy for a single game, especially when Saturn games are supposed to disc rot fairly easily. 😱
Should I be concerned about the handful of Saturn games I own?

Should I be concerned about the handful of Saturn games I own?
I really don't know. It's my biggest fear about my GC collection. Apparently MGS:TS rots pretty easily, but my copy is fine.

It's hard to know how much of disc rot is a meme and reality. Some people say it won't happen if you store your games well, others say it is only a matter of time no matter what.

Slightly unrelated, when going through my stuff for reorg and putting things in better boxes, I found that ai can't locate my Saturn controllers (outside of the one with the thumbstick) and Link to the Past for the GBA. This doesn't appear to be the first time I've misplaced LttP as I have two fucking manuals and no game. Kinda annoying because I thought I put all of the Gameboy games together in the same box. Super annoying. I did think I lose Smash Bros for the Switch when I moved, but I found it later on, so maybe I'll have the same luck. I'd prefer to not have to buy LttP again again, and a controller for a system I almost never touch.

I've been snatching all sorts of goodies either locally or via eBay.

I picked up the following:

Via Ebay:

- Ninja Gaiden Black - I wanted to replace the original with the updated better version and sell the original.
- Far Cry Compilation (360) - Physical Copy of FC2, FC3, and Blood Dragon. Blood Dragon was the important one. I still have the digital copy on the 360, but they're closing the store in April, and I want to make sure I have the game on disc just in case.
- Virtua Fighter Remix (Saturn) - Basically a straight port of the arcade original.
- Capcom vs SNK 2 (Dreamcast JPN) - The original sucks. Wanted Dreamcast version of #2 even though I already EO on the Xbox
- Marvel vs Capcom - The XMen vs Street Fighter Saturn games might not be affordable, but the JPN copy of MvC was within my price range. Lack of training mode to learn moves is going to make this a hard play.
- Top Gear Rally (GBA) - I lost my copy of this game at some point despite still having the manual. Needed to get a copy back. It's a solid racing game on the GBA that also looks really good for a 3D game on the GBA.
- Top Gear Rally (N64)(JPN) - When browsing eBay for the GBA game, I found this:
1000003287.jpg
I needed a copy, ASAP. They were cheap, and this has very appealing art. The NA version is kinda bland. I need to get an adapter for my N64 in order to play the game, but I'm definitely happy I found this game. I kinda wanna just shop for games that just look cool from the labels because of this game.

Via Local Stores:

- Far Cry Instincts Predator (360) - Like Ninja Gaiden Black, I bought this to get the upgraded version of Far Cry Instincts from the OG Xbox which was a port but not a port of the PC version of Far Cry.
- After Burner (NES)
- Gauntlet (NES)
- Duck Tales (NES) - Long had the Gameboy version, wanted the original.
- River Raid (2600)
- KoF 97 (Saturn) (JPN)
- Panzer Dragoon Zwei (Saturn)(JPN)
- Vampire Savior (Saturn)(JPN) - Saturn is known for its 2D fighting games, needed to get what are considered the two best on the console. Vampire Savior is very easy to pick up and play as it seems very easy to do moves that seem like specials. It starts kicking your ass quick, though. Definitely playing this a lot more.
Power Stone (PAL) - NA version, too expensive. PAL version, just right. Doubt I'm getting #2 at a decent price, though. I still suck at this game, but this time I'm not trading it in for peanuts like I did the first time.
- LoZ Spirit Tracks (DS) - Don't have many DS games. Spirit Tracks was like 50 bucks item only. Bought it local. Probably the most expensive game I've purchased that wasn't on the Switch.
Activision Classics (PS1) - Haven't tried it yet, reviews for this were very poor, but Activisions games are considered among the best on the 2600, and this is the easiest [legal] way to try out their games. Plus, RF really blows and my 2600 hasn't been modded [yet] to have a AV out.
- Sly Cooper Trilogy (PS3) - Why get 3 games for a system that I know works, when I could get all threw on one disc for a system that doesn't work?

Last edited:
I've been snatching all sorts of goodies either locally or via eBay.

I picked up the following:

Ninja Gaiden Black - I wanted to replace the original with the updated better version and sell the original.
Far Cry Instincts Predator (360) - Like Ninja Gaiden Black, I bought this to get the upgraded version of Far Cry Instincts from the OG Xbox which was a port but not a port of the PC version of Far Cry.
Far Cry Compilation (360) - Physical Copy of FC2, FC3, and Blood Dragon. Blood Dragon was the important one. I still have the digital copy on the 360, but they're closing the store in April, and I want to make sure I have the game on disc just in case.
Virtua Fighter Remix (Saturn) - Basically a straight port of the arcade original.
After Burner (NES)
Gauntlet (NES)
Duck Tales (NES) - Long had the Gameboy version, wanted the original.
Capcom vs SNK 2 (Dreamcast JPN) - The original sucks. Wanted Dreamcast version of #2 even though I already EO on the Xbox
Marvel vs Capcom - The XMen vs Street Fighter Saturn games might not be affordable, but the JPN copy of MvC was within my price range. Lack of training mode to learn moves is going to make this a hard play.
River Raid (2600)
KoF 97 (Saturn) (JPN)
Panzer Dragoon Zwei (Saturn)(JPN)
Vampire Savior (Saturn)(JPN) - Saturn is known for its 2D fighting games, needed to get what are considered the two best on the console. Vampire Savior is very easy to pick up and play as it seems very easy to do moves that seem like specials. It starts kicking your ass quick, though. Definitely playing this a lot more.
Power Stone (PAL) - NA version, too expensive. PAL version, just right. Doubt I'm getting #2 at a decent price, though. I still suck at this game, but this time I'm not trading it in for peanuts like I did the first time.
- LoZ Spirit Tracks (DS) - Don't have many DS games. Spirit Tracks was like 50 bucks item only. Bought it local. Probably the most expensive game I've purchased that wasn't on the Switch.
Activision Classics (PS1) - Haven't tried it yet, reviews for this were very poor, but Activisions games are considered among the best on the 2600, and this is the easiest [legal] way to try out their games. Plus, RF really blows and my 2600 hasn't been modded [yet] to have a AV out.
- Sly Cooper Trilogy (PS3) - Why get 3 games for a system that I know works, when I could get all threw on one disc for a system that doesn't work?
Top Gear Rally (GBA) - I lost my copy of this game at some point despite still having the manual. Needed to get a copy back. It's a solid racing game on the GBA that also looks really good for a 3D game on the GBA.
Top Gear Rally (N64)(JPN) - When browsing eBay for the GBA game, I found this:
View attachment 4127
I needed a copy, ASAP. They were cheap, and this has very appealing art. The NA version is kinda bland. I need to get an adapter for my N64 in order to play the game, but I'm definitely happy I found this game. I kinda wanna just shop for games that just look cool from the labels because of this game.
Good finds! The Sly Cooper trilogy is great. Hopefully you can get your PS3 fixed soon.

I'm gonna be in the US in a month. I'm hoping to go shopping for a few games I want: the Bomberman 64 games, some odd other 64 games, Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2, and Mega Man Command Mission X.

Maybe pick up some cheap PS3 and PS4 games I want if I can find any.

Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2
I saw these a million times back in the EB Games days and never gave them the time of life because they were RPGs and I just assumed all RPGs were those turnbased games, like Final Fantasy. Couple months ago, they're kinda action-RPG where you select cards for certain abilities and I thought that would be a fun way to play a game, but man, they are not cheap now. Especially the second one.

Bomberman 64 should be easy to find as long as you're not looking for a CIB. I didn't even know two others existed. Unfortunately, because Second Attack was released in 2000, it's super expensive now (200+ for a loose item). Only Bomberman game I have is Bomberman Generation for the Gamecube, which is surprisingly affordable for a Gamecube exclusive.

I saw these a million times back in the EB Games days and never gave them the time of life because they were RPGs and I just assumed all RPGs were those turnbased games, like Final Fantasy. Couple months ago, they're kinda action-RPG where you select cards for certain abilities and I thought that would be a fun way to play a game, but man, they are not cheap now. Especially the second one.

Bomberman 64 should be easy to find as long as you're not looking for a CIB. I didn't even know two others existed. Unfortunately, because Second Attack was released in 2000, it's super expensive now (200+ for a loose item). Only Bomberman game I have is Bomberman Generation for the Gamecube, which is surprisingly affordable for a Gamecube exclusive.
I'm interested in trying out some of From Soft's early games. I know they have nothing to do with the Souls games, but I heard the games are good so I'm looking forward to getting them.

Bomberman 64 is such a good damn game. I've never played the other 64 entries, and I suspect they don't hold up as well, but I still want to get them and try them out some day. I don't care about CIB for games with cardboard boxes.

I played Bomberman Generations and I really wasn't a fan :/

I'm interested in trying out some of From Soft's early games. I know they have nothing to do with the Souls games, but I heard the games are good so I'm looking forward to getting them.
From has generally always been a quality unit, if a bit... eccentric and with copious amounts of (usually endearing) jank. Armored Core is solid if you like numbers/customization, without the overt RPG trappings. Lost Kingdoms was fun. Enchanted Arms is... a thing. Turn-based RPG on a grid. I enjoyed it, but, it's better in the beginning with the goofiness and kind of just becomes a bit "eh, it's fine" as the game progresses. Ninja Blade was a completely serviceable, janky almost-kinda Ninja Gaiden/general action clone. Didn't get suuuper far into it, but I immediately picked up a copy after playing the demo back in the day.

I don't have any experience with King's Field - their other big pre-Soulsborne franchise that isn't called Armored Core - but people have always sworn by them. I'm usually pretty okay with first-person RPGs of a turn-based nature, but first-person and action is yet alien to me.

I'm super miffed I missed out on trying Chromehounds because that was apparently well ahead of its time and pretty good, again if you're into mechs and numbers and custom builds and shit.

I
From has generally always been a quality unit, if a bit... eccentric and with copious amounts of (usually endearing) jank. Armored Core is solid if you like numbers/customization, without the overt RPG trappings. Lost Kingdoms was fun. Enchanted Arms is... a thing. Turn-based RPG on a grid. I enjoyed it, but, it's better in the beginning with the goofiness and kind of just becomes a bit "eh, it's fine" as the game progresses. Ninja Blade was a completely serviceable, janky almost-kinda Ninja Gaiden/general action clone. Didn't get suuuper far into it, but I immediately picked up a copy after playing the demo back in the day.

I don't have any experience with King's Field - their other big pre-Soulsborne franchise that isn't called Armored Core - but people have always sworn by them. I'm usually pretty okay with first-person RPGs of a turn-based nature, but first-person and action is yet alien to me.

I'm super miffed I missed out on trying Chromehounds because that was apparently well ahead of its time and pretty good, again if you're into mechs and numbers and custom builds and shit.
I've seen gameplay from King's Field before and I just can't stomach it. It looks too archaic for me, in the same way that I love Morrowind but Daggerfall looks unapproachable. I imagine zoomers coming from Skyrim think the same thing of Morrowind

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I'm just gonna say it.

King's Field is ass.

Homer Simpson Trash GIF

20231215_181636.jpg
Stopped by a used game store that had an amazing selection. There were even Sega CD games, Colecovision, Atari, Virtual Boy, etc.

I picked up a few games I'd been meaning to own -- some I never expected to find. I still want to get a hold of Lost Kingdoms II and Chameleon Twist 1. After playing Super Sami Roll, I've been in the mood for 3-D tongue-based platformers
(I made that joke before but I'm making it again because I think it's a good one 😌)

Some nice gems right there, rare or otherwise. Folklore was actually the first PS3 game I ever bought, before I even had a PS3, because people were super into it. I have... never actually put the disc into my console. Shocking, I know. :chuckle

My brother loved Chameleon Twist when we were young. Still asks me about the game every couple of years when he invariably forgets, again, the damn name of it. That and Stuntman. Odd pairing.

Some nice gems right there, rare or otherwise. Folklore was actually the first PS3 game I ever bought, before I even had a PS3, because people were super into it. I have... never actually put the disc into my console. Shocking, I know
Someone recommended Folklore to me lately. It's supposed to be really good. Excited to try it out, and going into it knowing nothing.

CoD3 is the most unlike any game I would buy, but it's the only CoD game not on PC so I figured I'd pick it up. I still have a bunch of PS4 games I want, but my PS3 collection is mostly rounded out at this point.

Just need to get Mega Man X Command and Lost Kingdoms II and my GameCube collection is complete

View attachment 4724
Stopped by a used game store that had an amazing selection. There were even Sega CD games, Colecovision, Atari, Virtual Boy, etc.

I picked up a few games I'd been meaning to own -- some I never expected to find. I still want to get a hold of Lost Kingdoms II and Chameleon Twist 1. After playing Super Sami Roll, I've been in the mood for 3-D tongue-based platformers
(I made that joke before but I'm making it again because I think it's a good one 😌)
How much did Lost Kingdoms run you?

Being a Scorpio, assuming I haven't been too frivolous elsewhere throughout the year, November is always A Thing™.

black_friday-1.png
black_friday-2.png

Also bought a bunch more shelving that was on sale, and we started pulling out some of The Abyss:

black_friday-3.png

Messing around with totes and shelves is what did my back in last year, so... this is very much a "I would like to maybe be done with this by Summer" sort of deal. Very, very slow chipping away. :chuckle

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Being a Scorpio, assuming I haven't been too frivolous elsewhere throughout the year, November is always A Thing™.

View attachment 4730
View attachment 4731

Also bought a bunch more shelving that was on sale, and we started pulling out some of The Abyss:

View attachment 4732

Messing around with totes and shelves is what did my back in last year, so... this is very much a "I would like to maybe be done with this by Summer" sort of deal. Very, very slow chipping away. :chuckle
Beautiful! Nothing like a great collection display! For a start, it's a good one!

Beautiful! Nothing like a great collection display! For a start, it's a good one!
Definitely not going for anything fancy, since most will be in the basement and the rest in a now-former coat closet. But yeah! Will be nice having stuff, uh... not in boxes again. My word all the dust and debris at the moment though. Hence no proper pictures for the other thread! :chuckle

I'll have to see if we have any pictures from the old house still. Basically just had it all set up in the spare bedroom-turned treadmill room, so all the walls were shelves of games. 'Cause there wasn't space anywhere. 😂

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Definitely not going for anything fancy, since most will be in the basement and the rest in a now-former coat closet. But yeah! Will be nice having stuff, uh... not in boxes again. My word all the dust and debris at the moment though. Hence no proper pictures for the other thread! :chuckle

I'll have to see if we have any pictures from the old house still. Basically just had it all set up in the spare bedroom-turned treadmill room, so all the walls were shelves of games. 'Cause there wasn't space anywhere. 😂
A true collector! The hobby overruns all common sense :D

View attachment 4730
View attachment 4731

View attachment 4732

Holy hell Raine, that is a sexy collection. I weep for your backlog though 😂 mercifully, jrpgs seem to be getting shorter nowadays. Tales of Arise is 60 hrs to 100% compared to Berserka and Zestiria's 200hrs.

I'm surprised you bought a PS5 but few games for it! I've been holding out on playing Elden Ring and Tsushima until I get one.
have you played it before?
Nope, never learned it existed til a few months ago.

Holy hell Raine, that is a sexy collection. I weep for your backlog though 😂 mercifully, jrpgs seem to be getting shorter nowadays. Tales of Arise is 60 hrs to 100% compared to Berserka and Zestiria's 200hrs.
My backlog has always been way too big... but then I started playing MMOs?! I think I've started (and finished) only like ~50 games in the last decade as a result. Stark contrast to the lowest and most unhealthy part of my life circa 2006, wherein I started and completed 52 games in a single year - a lot of which were RPGs. And yet, I keep buying the occasional new game and picking up loads of cheap/used stuff during holiday sales. 😂

But yeah, PS is 100% just going to be RPGs and exclusives moving forward. Going to probably look at offloading the mountains of PS3, and a lot of PS4, stuff we've got but don't really have a ton of interest in pursuing anymore.

Smacktard said:
I'm surprised you bought a PS5 but few games for it! I've been holding out on playing Elden Ring and Tsushima until I get one.
The whole PS4-PS5 thing is so weird to me. Like the collector side of me would like to have PS5 versions for display purposes, but... damn near every PS4 game I picked up gives you access to the digital PS5 version when you put the disc in the console? Makes no sense and really should just be like Xbox, wherein the box is marked both Xbox One and Xbox Series and it's otherwise the same deal - put the disc in that console, play that version of the game. :shrug

damn near every PS4 game I picked up gives you access to the digital PS5 version when you put the disc in the console?
Ohh, I had no idea. I guess in that case it makes sense to just get the PS4 version. Personally my backlog is so huge that I don't mind waiting until I eventually pick up a PS5 to get the PS5 versions.

My backlog has always been way too big... but then I started playing MMOs?!
This is the reason I quit playing online/multiplayer games. I like having something that I can finish and move on to the next one.

CoD3 is the most unlike any game I would buy, but it's the only CoD game not on PC so I figured I'd pick it up. I still have a bunch of PS4 games I want, but my PS3 collection is mostly rounded out at this point.
CoD3 was my first one and is one of the better campaigns IMO. I haven't played many of the more recent CoDs, but I'd say 3, 4 (MW), and World at War are the worthwhile campaigns.

OK, I got some goodies over the last few days. God Pacman World 2+PacMan Vs for Christmas. Since I was in PA, I took the opportunity to browse some local gaming stores here. Bought some game that I had either been wanting or found cheap, as well as a couple complication games for the Switch.

Then I found this:
1000003439.jpg

That, my friends, is a Game Gear ONLY Sonic spinoff game starring Tails. There are very few Sega Game Gear exclusive games, and probably even less worth playing. This is one of the few that are worth playing. Problem is, that a loose copy can cost around 70 bucks. This one was 75, which was cheaper than most eBay listing and I immediately jumped at the chance to get a game that gives me a reason to keep my Game Gear.

I never thought I'd find a game like this just out in the wild, especially in Hermitage, PA. Usually these type of games I can only find online.

Now if only I could find a damn copy of Gaunlet Legends for the Dreamcast and Need for Speed Most Wanted U....

It took ages of refusing to buy on eBay, but I managed to score both the N64 AND Dreamcast copies of Gauntlet Legends. I found the N64 one at a decent price and thought that was fine. But then I found the Dreamcast copy CIB in a different store for less than what Price Charting had it at... and that store had Diablo 3 for the Switch at almost 50 bucks for some unknown reason (Gamestop sells them new for 25).

And since I'm waiting on season 31 for D3, I guess I know what I'm playing in the meanwhile.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
today is the first time I've ever even heard of this game. I feel like Ive come across a piece of history and got to buy it for less than market rate (the box is broken like most Saturn games).
Yeah, it's very underrated and unknown. I bought it brand new when it came out because I saw Virtua Fighter was in it, and I loved Virtua Fighter, and I absolutely loved it. So many characters, so many secrets, and the mix of the two series really works well. I think I mentioned it in @Smacktard's thread about good Saturn games. A real hidden gem.

Back
Top Bottom