Recent acquisitions

Who are the hidden characters?
Two "Virtua Fighters Kids" versions of VF fighters (Sara and Akira), two characters from Sonic the Fighters (Bark and Bean), Rent-a-Hero (a character from a Japan only Mega Drive game), Janet from Virtua Cop 2, the Hornet car from Daytona USA, a powered up version of a Fighting Vipers character, an original character named Deku, a VF cancelled character named Siba, Mr Meat (an original character), and the Sega AM2 logo palm tree.

It's just a bunch of characters added for the lolz. No truly recognizable characters.

Yeah, it's very underrated and unknown. I bought it brand new when it came out because I saw Virtua Fighter was in it, and I loved Virtua Fighter, and I absolutely loved it. So many characters, so many secrets, and the mix of the two series really works well. I think I mentioned it in @Smacktard's thread about good Saturn games. A real hidden gem.
I noticed the VF character on the cover and just had to look into it. I saw it in the store and was like "What the fuck is this?!"

Also saw a CIB copy of Wipeout. Had no idea Wipeout came out on the Saturn.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
I noticed the VF character on the cover and just had to look into it. I saw it in the store and was like "What the fuck is this?!"
Yeah, caught me off-guard too when it came out, never expected a megamix fighting game from Sega, but glad they did it!
Also saw a CIB copy of Wipeout. Had no idea Wipeout came out on the Saturn.
Yep, that's how I first experienced Wipeout, the PS version is WAY better, but it's still fun on the Saturn.

Great find! I never really looked into this game because fighters are not my jam usually, but this one looks interesting given the crazy cast. Hope to pick it up some day. I think I've only ever seen NSTC Sega Saturn games in the wild like... Three or four times my entire life though.
Yeah, Saturn is an extremely expensive console to collect for, Saturn versions are always the more experienced.
*screams in MM8 being 10x the price of PS1 version*

I think I've only ever seen NSTC Sega Saturn games in the wild like... Three or four times my entire life though.
Two stores that are in the St Louis area that I go to have as many if not more Saturn games as Dreamcast games for some reason. It's super weird. Gamecube and Wii U games are on the rare side, too. One store has a handful of 32x games. The other has MULTIPLE graded copies of video games.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
I'm lucky to have a couple of great stores near me that always have decent stock of Saturn games, but it's super rare to find them out in the wild on the hunt. Just retro stores. Expect to pay mucho dinero there

Yep, I hear you there, online is about it for the hardest to find games anyway. It's a shame, because it removes the thrill of the hunt
I wish I lived in a country where yard sales were a thing. I like scoping them out and occasionally finding deals. But even when I was in Japan, I went to the largest flea market in Tokyo, and I didn't see a SINGLE games booth. Pretty incredible really.

The hunt is the most fun part! Getting a good deal on eBay just isn't the same.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
I wish I lived in a country where yard sales were a thing. I like scoping them out and occasionally finding deals. But even when I was in Japan, I went to the largest flea market in Tokyo, and I didn't see a SINGLE games booth. Pretty incredible really.

The hunt is the most fun part! Getting a good deal on eBay just isn't the same.
Yeah, that's one advantage to here, plenty of yard sales still, though the pickings aren't anything like what they used to be. Everyone thinks they've got gold when they've got old games now, it's quite sad

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
I blame the abundance of people who buy as many shitty sports games and shovelware as they can just to pad out their collection :/
This was me when I first started collecting. I was so desperate to pad the numbers I didn't care about quality, lol. Thankfully that's all been trimmed away and it's down to just decent (or obscure) stuff now.

This was me when I first started collecting. I was so desperate to pad the numbers I didn't care about quality, lol. Thankfully that's all been trimmed away and it's down to just decent (or obscure) stuff now.
I only keep games I actually enjoy playing -- games that are good enough to complete, at least. There's a few small exceptions, like I have multiple versions of Okami because it's one of my favorite games. I also kept Spinch because it's artistically interesting, and the first 3 or so worlds are pretty good, but damn does that game fall completely apart.

...Although I do also have the Virtual Boy collection, so I do have a small collection of shit games :D

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
I only keep games I actually enjoy playing -- games that are good enough to complete, at least. There's a few small exceptions, like I have multiple versions of Okami because it's one of my favorite games. I also kept Spinch because it's artistically interesting, and the first 3 or so worlds are pretty good, but damn does that game fall completely apart.
Yeah, that's kind of where I am now, at least in terms of acquiring. I can't afford much, so what I do pick up I want to be something that I will actually play and hopefully enjoy. I still have a lot of trash in my collection, like my Saturn collection, because I was going for a complete collection back when it was doable, but I never finished and so I have a lot of garbage mixed in with the great stuff, lol. It's funny how a collection can evolve over time!
...Although I do also have the Virtual Boy collection, so I do have a small collection of shit games :D
Awkward Sewing Bee GIF by The Great British Sewing Bee

I made the mistake of just buying random games back in the day without being able to look at the quality of the game. A lot of times, if "Suggestive Themes" was included in the rating, I was more likely to buy it. lol. I have two of PS2's more expensive games now because of that habit (Haunting Grounds and Shadow Hearts: From the New World).
Although I do also have the Virtual Boy collection, so I do have a small collection of shit games
I refuse to touch the Virtual Boy. I would buy a 3DO and 32x before I buy a VB and games in the library. I hope you at least have the Wario game, it's supposedly one of the few good games for thar hunk of junk. Hell, I have an Atari Jaguar and I refuse to buy a Virtual Boy.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
I made the mistake of just buying random games back in the day without being able to look at the quality of the game. A lot of times, if "Suggestive Themes" was included in the rating, I was more likely to buy it. lol. I have two of PS2's more expensive games now because of that habit (Haunting Grounds and Shadow Hearts: From the New World).
Nice impulse buys! :D

I hope you at least have the Wario game, it's supposedly one of the few good games for thar hunk of junk
It and Jack Bros are legitimately both pretty good. The 3D effect in some of the games is nice, and Wario does it the best. The game looks like a pop-up book. It's a cool effect. The best game though IMO was never officially released. Bound High. Really good game.

New stores, new finds.

For the first time ever, I found a store that ACTUALLY had Atari Jaguar games. I found the ONE game I had been looking for: Alien vs Predator. Game and manual. They also had had Rayman, but I was not about to spend 150 dollars for a copy of a game that I already had on PS1 AND Gameboy Color and could get for the Saturn at a cheaper price. But AvP is a Jaguar exclusive and it was NEVER officially released anywhere else.

Other pick ups, I finally snagged a copy of Super Princess Peach for the DS. It was game only, but the it was under market price and the CIB copy I found somewhere else was WAAAAAAY overpriced. I can just get a custom box and find a manual on eBay if I really want to make it "complete". Also found Paperboy for the Genesis, which is supposed to be the best port of the game and is nearly arcade perfect. Got Ico/Shadow of the Collossus and the Infamous PS3 collections for cheap. As well as the SNK collections mentioned in the NeoGeo thread.

I wanted to snag NFS High Stakes complete for the PS1, but for some reason I put it back on the shelf. I already have the game on its own, but not a complete copy. TBH,I have other games I'd much rather find complete. Mostly Dreamcast games.

Got The Getaway and the 7th Xbox Demo disc, and also the Mario Bros/Duck Hunt/World Track and Field cart. If the game works, I'll just trade in the Mario/Duck Hunt cart at a "MASSIVE" profit (I got it back when Funcoland was selling it for !a quarter because of how common it was).

Finally, one of the stores had a copy the Tomb Raider 20th Anniversary art book for Rise of the Tomb Raider on PS4. It didn't come with the disc, so I'll have to get the game for a console I still don't have, but I do intend to get it at some point, if only for Gravity Rush.

Woah! What a find! I miss scouring through retro game stores like this. Good news is though that I found a retro game store that opened up back home recently, so next time I'm home I'm going to go and try to snag a few deals.

I've been buying a few things from jauce.com. Got some good deals on Japanese Saturn games for way less than eBay prices.

Yeah, AvP is literally the only Jaguar game I care about finding, but because it's a Jaguar game, I never cared to search on eBay. AvP is THE Jag game. They also had a Jag+Jag CD combo for $1500. A Jag is expensive... a Jag with the CD add-on is insane. The CD drives were supposedly extremely prone to defects, so they became even more rare. The store even had Jag CD games for it.

They also had a like 3 copies of Kasumi Ninja, one of the worst fighting games ever created.

It's actually pretty cheap to buy, but I already have another Uber bad MK knockoff for the system called Ultra Vortek and THAT is not a cheap game.

Side note: I got my Jag, a controller, 10 games, and the multi-tap adapter that allows you to plug in more than two controllers all the way back in 2003 for like 60 bucks. I bought it off some poor dude on eBay who had to be suuuuuper annoyed with how long it took me to send payment because I was am 18 year old kid who had no idea what he was doing. Assuming I can get the damn system to work again, that collection is definitely worth well over 1000 bucks now. All of the games are CIB (except for AvP). Nothing is missing from the games and the carts are all in near perfect condition because they were protected by those boxes which almost always stayed in the console box with the console and stuff.

Cool and very unique collection! You should post a pic of the full collection sometime. I know of AvP as the best reason to own a Jaguar. You'll have to give us your review of it when you finally play it. Also I had no idea the Jaguar had a CD mount. It looks rare as fuck -- I see only 2 working models on eBay, and the cheapest one is 1.5k.

And what a fantastic pick-up you got back in the day. Unfortunately, I really feel like we missed hey-deys of collecting. I started saving my games from around 2000 onward, but I really only started getting into ACTIVE collecting the same time everyone else did -- Covid. Prices have gone nuts since then. Wish I'd started a few years earlier instead of wasting my money on dumb(er) stuff :dunce

Back
Top Bottom