Post Your Game Ideas!

Alu:

Captain Phillips GIF

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Some more thoughts on how to get it brewing activity in a thread as well:

Every player gets some piece to the puzzle, but not nearly enough to figure it out on their own. They need to choose when and how much of that piece to share in order to try to be the first person to figure the whole thing out in order to gain immunity. It would involve teamwork to get the answer figured out, with only one person getting to take advantage of it. Voting would be done in secret with no side chats going (unless there are temporary teams, or unless it's an Amazing race style with two people per team).
Definitely liking this so far, the two person team idea sounds like it'd be a fun spin, and sticking with amazing race themes, maybe even have road blocks and things like that.

Definitely liking this so far, the two person team idea sounds like it'd be a fun spin, and sticking with amazing race themes, maybe even have road blocks and things like that.
I think amazing race would be more along the lines of the last team to figure it out and get the information in the right direction would be eliminated, right?

Whereas Survivor the first to the answer is the only one guaranteed to move on.

The difficulty with survivor is trying to figure out how to determine a winner.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
I think amazing race would be more along the lines of the last team to figure it out and get the information in the right direction would be eliminated, right?

Whereas Survivor the first to the answer is the only one guaranteed to move on.

The difficulty with survivor is trying to figure out how to determine a winner.
Well it doesn't have to follow either style OR it could be a hybrid of both ;)

For Amazing Race could you use GeoGuessr?
Oh now there's an interesting possibility. Everyone has the same map and needs to get closest to the high scores or something. Need to look into that, I know there are limits to how many and what kinds you can play without buying a full version of it. But that's definitely a good thought.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Just making sure this would be fine. I'm nowhere near having something ready to kick off:

@Cole @Mark @Crystal if there were to be a game type that involved solving problems the quickest and sending the results to someone (figuring out who that someone was being part of the problem) would any of you be okay with being on the list of potential people who gets the PMs? Also if this sounds more like something up your alley to play, no worries, would welcome that and can get some others involved. Think in the style of the amazing race or survivor with challenges. Trying to come up with competitive games that don't involve deception.

I’m on board with this, just let us know what you need.

@Tubby23 - since you brought it up just want to run it by you:

For the Amazing Race the in thread challenge would be to figure out which of the 5 linked maps (using the "share" or whatever the "play with friends" method is on geoguessr) is the right one to play. Then it would be a combination of "first to finish" plus "best score" minus "first doing incorrect maps" or something to figure out who wins/loses for the day.

Does that sound right? I think it's a 5 game limit per day, so that would let you do it without needing to buy it.

@Tubby23 - since you brought it up just want to run it by you:

For the Amazing Race the in thread challenge would be to figure out which of the 5 linked maps (using the "share" or whatever the "play with friends" method is on geoguessr) is the right one to play. Then it would be a combination of "first to finish" plus "best score" minus "first doing incorrect maps" or something to figure out who wins/loses for the day.

Does that sound right? I think it's a 5 game limit per day, so that would let you do it without needing to buy it.
That's one option, likely the best option.

The other option would effectively be manual GeoGuessr where the game host takes a street view picture near 5 landmarks/points of interest in a country.

The first picture is provided to every team in thread and then each team needs to guess in private message the location to receive the next street view picture and so on.

Team with the quickest time, with time penalties added for every incorrect guess is first and then last is the slowest/most inaccurate.
Then when you get to the next leg you have some form of time penalty for your placement the previous round.

Second option is free and doesn't require anyone to sign up to GeoGuessr just a very transparent scoring system.
Problems with second method would be timezone potentially (although that's always liable to be an issue).

That's one option, likely the best option.

The other option would effectively be manual GeoGuessr where the game host takes a street view picture near 5 landmarks/points of interest in a country.

The first picture is provided to every team in thread and then each team needs to guess in private message the location to receive the next street view picture and so on.

Team with the quickest time, with time penalties added for every incorrect guess is first and then last is the slowest/most inaccurate.
Then when you get to the next leg you have some form of time penalty for your placement the previous round.

Second option is free and doesn't require anyone to sign up to GeoGuessr just a very transparent scoring system.
Problems with second method would be timezone potentially (although that's always liable to be an issue).
Ah I see - so that option would essentially be a "manual" version of GeoGuessr right? I could see that work as well, and would be less random in what it could be.

Though GeoGuessr has various types of maps, so maybe it could be limited in some way based on that. Hm. Both are good ideas. I'm liking it.

Say you had 8-10 teams of two, either randomly put together or people picking each other. You could do landmarks/places of interest from 8-10 countries or regions.

Roadblocks/challenges once arriving at each landmark could be a nice addition (perhaps a puzzle, a Wordle, a sudoku, simple crossword, general knowledge quiz etc)

Ah I see - so that option would essentially be a "manual" version of GeoGuessr right? I could see that work as well, and would be less random in what it could be.

Though GeoGuessr has various types of maps, so maybe it could be limited in some way based on that. Hm. Both are good ideas. I'm liking it.
GeoGuessr you can nominate landmarks and countries etc, but I think some of that is controlled by whether you are paying for a membership or not

You can use we, I'm not going to throw all these ideas at you and then abandon ship.

I think if we did it the manual way we could doit one of two ways:
1. everyone is competing at the same time and the first image gets posted in the thread and then it's a race against the clock with no care for timezones etc (e.g if you're signed up and become busy your teammate just has to cover it) but start each day at a pre-scheduled time.
2. is each team competes one at a time with an agreed time that both members will be available. Each team is guessing the exact same 5 images/competing in same challenges like the normal version but each teams time is posted in the chat thread so people know what they need to beat.

First option, everyone is racing at once and some more fun banter etc can be had in the game thread eg: "Hey Alu we are map 4, better try and catch us sucker".
Second option, the pressure becomes about knowing exactly what time you have to beat but does disadvantage the team going first as they don't know what a quick time is. Advantage of option 2 is that each time can nominate the most optimum time to compete so there will be less complaints about unavailability or busy personal lifes impacting it.

But again, it would probably be fun while still be competitive but less emotionally taxing.

You can use we, I'm not going to throw all these ideas at you and then abandon ship.

I think if we did it the manual way we could doit one of two ways:
1. everyone is competing at the same time and the first image gets posted in the thread and then it's a race against the clock with no care for timezones etc (e.g if you're signed up and become busy your teammate just has to cover it) but start each day at a pre-scheduled time.
2. is each team competes one at a time with an agreed time that both members will be available. Each team is guessing the exact same 5 images/competing in same challenges like the normal version but each teams time is posted in the chat thread so people know what they need to beat.

First option, everyone is racing at once and some more fun banter etc can be had in the game thread eg: "Hey Alu we are map 4, better try and catch us sucker".
Second option, the pressure becomes about knowing exactly what time you have to beat but does disadvantage the team going first as they don't know what a quick time is. Advantage of option 2 is that each time can nominate the most optimum time to compete so there will be less complaints about unavailability or busy personal lifes impacting it.

But again, it would probably be fun while still be competitive but less emotionally taxing.
Also, it could become an advantage to choose a teammate on the other side of the world so you can easily cover the full 24 hour time period as needed.

I like the idea of this. I'm trying to figure out a way how to keep this hidden in PM while also encouraging discussion in the thread without having it be all about spoilers. That could be where the "roadblocks" you're mentioning come in though. It could also be discussions are a highlight in between each round where people talk about how they were able to figure things out or where they struggled and such.

Not sure where the right place to suggest this is so I am doing it here. I'm wondering with some potentially new games coming whether all the Wolf/Mafia/Neon Nexus & Aussie Dingo games should be split to a sub-forum like D&D which leaves FOG for all non-mafia and D&D games?

Just a thought.
1703643969370.jpeg

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Not sure where the right place to suggest this is so I am doing it here. I'm wondering with some potentially new games coming whether all the Wolf/Mafia/Neon Nexus & Aussie Dingo games should be split to a sub-forum like D&D which leaves FOG for all non-mafia and D&D games?

Just a thought.

I’ve suggested giving the wolf games their own space since shortly after I saw how much they dominated this forum, but most of the game runners I’ve talked to were content with having them remain here. I’ll always leave the offer to any of y’all that wanna expand your game to a full forum open, but as far as consolidating all of them to another forum together as a catch-all wolf forum? I think that idea was tossed around and wound up next to the Laser Disk and Power Glove.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Fair, I'm happy to go with the majority but if activity in other game types increases it potentially becomes messy IMO

Well, that was my thought initially, but that was before we incorporated the “Game Over” forum. At that time, it was messy as hell and FOG was a graveyard of old wolf threads. My thought was that it would discourage people who wanted to start a new game because they’d constantly be in competition with these behemoth wolf threads. It seems to have balanced out more with those games being archived as well as taking up one thread in FOG instead of multiple since we have multiple dead forums. However, I could definitely see how you or the others could take full advantage of a dedicated forum/sub-forum dead area setup, so I will always favor that idea in the back of my mind. It becomes much easier to tweak things in the game master’s favor to tailor each forum to each game rather than taking into account the other games that share the same space. So, it’s not really a matter of majority rules. Ultimately, it’s your game. If you’d like to expand Dingo to take up an entire forum and split your threads or factions up different ways than the other games, you’ve got my full support and assistance. If you wanna keep it the way it is because it ain’t necessarily broke, that’s fine also. I’m not in the business of forcing y’all to do it one way or the other, I just have ideas from the forum side of things.

Sorry about not responding, but it was a forum game where it centered around a school and you would create your character with an ability of some sort. Really just think about x men and Xavier's School for Gifted Children. But writing for it was so much fun, you would create a thread and set the scene for anyone who wanted to hop in. Just your basic roleplay; you could write about your character fighting one of the bad guys and even include someone else's character about how they helped you and then the next person would just continue the story. You didn't always have to tie in what the last person wrote and it could be as long or as short of a post as you wanted it to be. The person who started the thread was always the "DM," whether they played a character or not, to progress the story and control the arcs and wrap it all up. It was very loose and very simple, everyone basically wrote short stories that all tied in together with no maps or dice.

Im currently working on trying to find a sample from the wayback machine but not able to find a usable link to a post so far, and it's from GW around 2002 - 2008 or so.

PS. Sorry about the long post also lol, hope I explained it well enough

Ben

Stoned Guardian
Badministrator
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
GW Elder
All I'm saying is, if this isn't going to get back off the ground, that's going to suck for me.

Running games is cool and all but it would be nice to play something too. Otherwise my attention will likely drift elsewhere.
I've been workshopping some kind of Narrative Wolf idea in my head, with more of a focus on it creating a story and not just the cut-and-dried "X has died, X was the Y." Not to the extent of turning it into D&D and requiring people role play or anything, but at least giving the start/end phase posts some meat.

I'd still need to come up with some unique roles aside from the standard Wolf ones, etc. But maybe I'll try to put more time into that.

It's funny you say this, because I was recently thinking I'd feel more at ease if I updated my game and ran one instead of playing. My issue is how I've been as a player, and could run one with less issue.
100%

• Hmm
Reactions: Jon
I like that idea, Ben. D&D meets Wolf.

For me, I wanted my game to be slightly narrative driven and I wanted to have it be more about detective work than deceit. I took the things I like about wolf/mafia and tried to limit the things I didn't. My first game was balls, and then shit hit the fans that I put it on the back burner, and with all the people dropping like flies I'm still not sure there is a point to restarting it, but... there it is..

• Respect
Reactions: Ben

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I've been workshopping some kind of Narrative Wolf idea in my head, with more of a focus on it creating a story and not just the cut-and-dried "X has died, X was the Y." Not to the extent of turning it into D&D and requiring people role play or anything, but at least giving the start/end phase posts some meat.
Oh i forgot you didnt play my Mafia games.

If you feel froggy, dive into the Game Over subforum and check out some of my Mafia Game threads, especially the first game. I put a lot of time and energy into doing something similar and I'm pretty proud of how it turned out.

Ben

Stoned Guardian
Badministrator
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
GW Elder
Oh i forgot you didnt play my Mafia games.

If you feel froggy, dive into the Game Over subforum and check out some of my Mafia Game threads, especially the first game. I put a lot of time and energy into doing something similar and I'm pretty proud of how it turned out.
1706887311528.png

I did entirely miss yours and Jon's games, though. I'll definitely go check those out.

Back
Top Bottom