Ok, Ok, Let's Talk Trans

This is what happens when you promote & encourage bigotry. You end up going back to the days where being LGBTQ+ meant you were ostracized from society. Negative stereotypes become the standard on how LGBTQ+ people are perceived by the public, and then that kind of perception gets passed on down to the next generation. A vicious cycle.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Here's a bit of happier news you all might appreciate: as you probably read elsewhere, my girlfriend got bottom surgery over a week ago. She's recovering well, and the hospital staff have given up keeping her in bed, so we've been going out for short jaunts to the nearby markets. She had a random person compliment her on how pretty she is yesterday. To me, she seems a lot more comfortable with herself.

Tomorrow she's getting voice surgery, which should put her voice firmly in what's generally considered the feminine range. Hopefully that'll put a stop to the regular misgendering she gets.

How do they plan to enforce that? They going to check birth certificates?
Bathroom bills don't actually have anything to do with trans folk, they're strictly about enforcing rigid gender stereotypes. It merely gives people - security guards, police, hyper-aggressive men - just cause to invade women's spaces. To grope, assault or worse the people inside that either do not conform to their fucked world view or that are "too pretty" to be real women and so must be assaulted in order to prove themselves.

It's about fear and control. Same as everything else.

This isn't positive per se, because so little can be. But it's... a thing I saw pop up, that isn't shocking, but goes through the motions and maybe provides a little hope.

A GOP Texas school board member campaigned against schools indoctrinating kids. Then she read the curriculum.
Courtney Gore, a Granbury ISD school board member, has disavowed the far-right platform she campaigned on. Her defiance has brought her backlash.

Weeks after winning a school board seat in her deeply red Texas county, Courtney Gore immersed herself in the district’s curriculum, spending her nights and weekends poring over hundreds of pages of lesson plans that she had fanned out on the coffee table in her living room and even across her bed. She was searching for evidence of the sweeping national movement she had warned on the campaign trail was indoctrinating schoolchildren.

Gore, the co-host of a far-right online talk show, had promised that she would be a strong Republican voice on the nonpartisan school board. Citing “small town, conservative Christian values,” she pledged to inspect educational materials for inappropriate messages about sexuality and race and remove them from every campus in the 7,700-student Granbury Independent School District, an hour southwest of Fort Worth. “Over the years our American Education System has been hijacked by Leftists looking to indoctrinate our kids into the ‘progressive’ way of thinking, and yes, they’ve tried to do this in Granbury ISD,” she wrote in a September 2021 Facebook post, two months before the election. “I cannot sit by and watch their twisted worldview infiltrate Granbury ISD.”

But after taking office and examining hundreds of pages of curriculum, Gore was shocked by what she found — and didn’t find.

The pervasive indoctrination she had railed against simply did not exist. Children were not being sexualized, and she could find no examples of critical race theory, an advanced academic concept that examines systemic racism. She’d examined curriculum related to social-emotional learning, which has come under attack by Christian conservatives who say it encourages children to question gender roles and prioritizes feelings over biblical teachings. Instead, Gore found the materials taught children “how to be a good friend, a good human.”

Gore rushed to share the news with the hard-liners who had encouraged her to run for the seat. She expected them to be as relieved and excited as she had been. But she said they were indifferent, even dismissive, because “it didn’t fit the narrative that they were trying to push.”

Here's a bit of happier news you all might appreciate: as you probably read elsewhere, my girlfriend got bottom surgery over a week ago. She's recovering well, and the hospital staff have given up keeping her in bed, so we've been going out for short jaunts to the nearby markets. She had a random person compliment her on how pretty she is yesterday. To me, she seems a lot more comfortable with herself.

Tomorrow she's getting voice surgery, which should put her voice firmly in what's generally considered the feminine range. Hopefully that'll put a stop to the regular misgendering she gets.
That's fantastic news! Happy to hear everything's went all and that she's recovering quickly! :love:

• Agree
Reactions: TD

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder

Aww, even more envious and also so happy for her! Vocal surgery is a tough one, as well, but I hope she ends up with a lovely feminine voice. I can't imagine how at home she must feel without the big one done

So happy for her, and glad to hear the recovery process is going well. Can't stress enough how important of a step it is for her to feel at home in her own skin.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Bathroom bills don't actually have anything to do with trans folk, they're strictly about enforcing rigid gender stereotypes. It merely gives people - security guards, police, hyper-aggressive men - just cause to invade women's spaces. To grope, assault or worse the people inside that either do not conform to their fucked world view or that are "too pretty" to be real women and so must be assaulted in order to prove themselves.

It's about fear and control. Same as everything else.
I was being kind of snarky, because it's impossible to tell what gender someone was assigned at birth just by looking at them, so this is impossible to enforce reasonably (but would still be dumb even if it could be, of course).

She’d examined curriculum related to social-emotional learning, which has come under attack by Christian conservatives who say it encourages children to question gender roles and prioritizes feelings over biblical teachings.
That seems like a perfectly reasonable thing for schools to be teaching. People should question gender roles. Schools shouldn't be mentioning biblical teachings at all. If you don't like that, go put your kid in a private religious school. Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom