Do you have any pets?

I had a wasp in my bedroom at night when I was in high school at one point (my window was frame was broken). It decided to take a nap on my pillow. I rolled on top of it. It was in my ear and went all kinds of crazy.

That was my least favorite alarm clock of all time.

Another time (actually twice) I had bats get into my room. They were easy to remove though, just hold up a paint roller and they latch onto it. Then walk them out the front door.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
I had a wasp in my bedroom at night when I was in high school at one point (my window was frame was broken). It decided to take a nap on my pillow. I rolled on top of it. It was in my ear and went all kinds of crazy.

That was my least favorite alarm clock of all time.

Another time (actually twice) I had bats get into my room. They were easy to remove though, just hold up a paint roller and they latch onto it. Then walk them out the front door.
Huh...I never knew that about bats
Well where were you when I was 5?
Britain.

• Hmm
Reactions: TD

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I have a meltdown when a scorpion gets in
Once when I visited Arizona for work, a co-worker was trying to get me to move there. Then he started talking about all the scorpions in the area, including "little tiny ones that are transparent, so essentially invisible. If those sting you... it's probably fine, but you should call poison control just in case." Yeah I noped tf out of there.

even wasps of you know how to react are fine.
How are you supposed to react? Wasps always follow me around, it's super annoying.

I had a wasp in my bedroom at night when I was in high school at one point
Me too!! I didn't even realize it. I was just going to bed, put my hand on the door frame, and suddenly was in a bunch of pain. Somebody else found the wasp.

Yeah that's a bad idea, what you want to do (if you can't just get a pest person in) is a trap with vinegar in it.
Oh yeah, is that the trick? I had a wasp nest in my recycling bin for months, and I solved it by sneaking my recycling into other people's bins at night.

Most teenagers here attack them with lighters and deodorant cans
Fun story.

I have a friend whose family owns land out in the woods, and it's a real redneck and banjos type of vibe out there. We usually all do a bunch of drugs whenever we go. Anyway, there was a wasp nest under the deck, so the guys all decided to go after it with lighters and a baseball bat and I want to say a toy sword? Surprisingly, they actually managed to kill it without any of them being stung. It was impressive.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Once when I visited Arizona for work, a co-worker was trying to get me to move there. Then he started talking about all the scorpions in the area, including "little tiny ones that are transparent, so essentially invisible. If those sting you... it's probably fine, but you should call poison control just in case." Yeah I noped tf out of there.
Yep, we have a black light we use during the summer months just to be sure at night, because you really can't see those ones, and sometimes you can't see the bark scorpions, either, but they all show up under black light and there's nothing worse than seeing their glowing bodies. Ugh.

How are you supposed to react? Wasps always follow me around, it's super annoying.

I have a friend whose family owns land out in the woods, and it's a real redneck and banjos type of vibe out there. We usually all do a bunch of drugs whenever we go. Anyway, there was a wasp nest under the deck, so the guys all decided to go after it with lighters and a baseball bat and I want to say a toy sword? Surprisingly, they actually managed to kill it without any of them being stung. It was impressive.
Wasps react to movement of the air, so the best option is to stand still and then move away slowly so as not to startle them too much or make movement in the air that will interest them.

This also applies to snakes honestly, although with snakes you should back away while taking very firm steps (the vibration of the ground usually sends them in the opposite direction).

Yeah I'm surprised by that, they either got very lucky or encountered one of the lesser breeds of wasp

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Wasps react to movement of the air, so the best option is to stand still and then move away slowly so as not to startle them too much or make movement in the air that will interest them.
Oh, interesting. I think I try to wave at them or back away quickly, so maybe that's why.

There aren't venomous snakes in my area, so I don't care about those. I just pick them up, they're so cute!

Sounds lovely, I'd like to live somewhere where there aren't bitey stingy things.
You're welcome to come visit!

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Not sure - we keep them inside only.

Too much dangerous wildlife out there to risk anything plus they love their house.
Absolutely, ours were indoor cats, too, but they still snuck out if we weren't quick enough. Never far, just outside the door. None of ours ever saw snow, but they damn sure hated rain :D

• Hugs

Christina

I see you
Queen of the Dead
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Not sure - we keep them inside only.

Too much dangerous wildlife out there to risk anything plus they love their house.
I just recently got a leash to take our cats on walks. Tails just wants to go out and eat every plant. Percy does like to explore, but he walks around looking terrified the whole time.

• Hugs

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I just recently got a leash to take our cats on walks. Tails just wants to go out and eat every plant. Percy does like to explore, but he walks around looking terrified the whole time.
That's adorable.

We do have a harness/leash for both of our girls but that's got more to do with car rides and the vet.

We did buy them a portable catio for the summer, no clue if they'll like it until we try.

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
That is a gorgeous cat
Thank you.
:)

We're actually incredibly lucky to have her. When we were going through the adoption process, her adoption fell through only one hour before - so it gave us a great opportunity to adopt her alongside her sister Nyx (black cat).

Neither my wife or I have ever had a cat that is this loving or cuddly either, she's obsessed with cuddles and affection. Big reason I lounge a lot now, not that I'm complaining.

Back
Top Bottom