Resolved Wolf + Privacy settings

Status
Not open for further replies.

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Also I don't know if this is the right place but I don't want to derail what's been an interesting game, it's kind of unfathomable to me that people would intentionally do this.

Is there a way for us to disable activity across the board for all users, mods included? It doesn't serve a purpose. It's cool to see people are online but we really don't need to know WHAT they're doing.

Post for why:
Post in thread 'GWF Zell Wolf - Version IX - Day 3' https://gwforums.com/threads/gwf-zell-wolf-version-ix-day-3.1308/post-73151

Splitting off from this post so we don't clog up the boards:

Being able to track what activity game players are engaged in could be game breaking. Changing the privacy settings will work for most players, but Coleman says it won't work for staff.

My first thought is, I'm sure our userclass abilities can be modified so that we can't overrule privacy settings. Do I really need to be able to go to Alu's profile and see he is sitting on the Golden Throne in in the Staff chambers?

Also I don't know if this is the right place but I don't want to derail what's been an interesting game, it's kind of unfathomable to me that people would intentionally do this.

Is there a way for us to disable activity across the board for all users, mods included? It doesn't serve a purpose. It's cool to see people are online but we really don't need to know WHAT they're doing.

Post for why:
Post in thread 'GWF Zell Wolf - Version IX - Day 3' https://gwforums.com/threads/gwf-zell-wolf-version-ix-day-3.1308/post-73151
Yeah that's fair, if possible.

Reactions: TD

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Does that mean I've earned a job in the shitposting dept?
Season 17 Episode 3 GIF by The Simpsons

...we'll talk about it.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Splitting off from this post so we don't clog up the boards:

Being able to track what activity game players are engaged in could be game breaking. Changing the privacy settings will work for most players, but Coleman says it won't work for staff.

My first thought is, I'm sure our userclass abilities can be modified so that we can't overrule privacy settings. Do I really need to be able to go to Alu's profile and see he is sitting on the Golden Throne in in the Staff chambers?

I could theoretically make it work for staff, I just opted to allow admins access to the full online list since Cole has been sitting out the games lately. We have the option to make every staff group force user-defined privacy settings. Technically, I can make it so admins can be blocked and everything just like other members, but for obvious reasons… that’s probably not smart.

Alternatively, there’s the first option I started looking into, but that’ll be a bit of work and not something that I can just flip a switch on in the midst of a game like the option I ended up going with, which was much simpler and just ticking a box in each group.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Mark ftw!

Also, forgive my wolf ignorance, but to avoid it being a future problem, couldn't we then have role-based forums so no one needs to engage in convos, this removing the need for the fix and the ability to see who is engaged in conversations?

Just make them private with user-based perms...?

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Mark ftw!

Also, forgive my wolf ignorance, but to avoid it being a future problem, couldn't we then have role-based forums so no one needs to engage in convos, this removing the need for the fix and the ability to see who is engaged in conversations?

Just make them private with user-based perms...?
You'd need a separate forum for every person, and maybe whenever a wolf dies (Zell creates a new PM thread when that happens). I think it would technically work (depending on what it shows if you're looking at a hidden forum), but it'd be a lot of work.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
You'd need a separate forum for every person, and maybe whenever a wolf dies (Zell creates a new PM thread when that happens). I think it would technically work (depending on what it shows if you're looking at a hidden forum), but it'd be a lot of work.
Hmm. Yeah that is quite a bit of work, but doable.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder

Nope, much easier than that. I worked out the logistics for it early on when I suggested breaking wolf into it’s own forum, all we’d need to do is have at-most a main forum, a wolf sub-forum, a townie sub-forum, and a dead sub-forum. All sub forums would function as the dead forum does, where access is granted on a per-account basis. That would eliminate the entire conversation element of the game, turning those conversation threads into actual threads, and then at the end you’d end up with 3 threads… a wolf, a town, and a dead, all moved to the archive forum that was made.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Nope, much easier than that. I worked out the logistics for it early on when I suggested breaking wolf into it’s own forum, all we’d need to do is have at-most a main forum, a wolf sub-forum, a townie sub-forum, and a dead sub-forum. All sub forums would function as the dead forum does, where access is granted on a per-account basis. That would eliminate the entire conversation element of the game, turning those conversation threads into actual threads, and then at the end you’d end up with 3 threads… a wolf, a town, and a dead, all moved to the archive forum that was made.
That! That's what I was getting at, without being smart enough to articulate it!

The question would be is there any way for anyone to see who has access to each forum?

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
The question would be is there any way for anyone to see who has access to each forum?

That’s limited to admins only, since we are the only ones with access to the overall forum permissions area. It would be possible for an admin to cheat, simply by going into each individual’s permissions for each specific sub-forum, but that ability could also be temporarily locked if Cole were to jump in a game with admin logs indicating when the lock was put in place and removed to preserve the integrity of the game. I’m not implying he would cheat or anything, though, he’s just the only admin that has played the games.

Reactions: Jon

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
That’s limited to admins only, since we are the only ones with access to the overall forum permissions area. It would be possible for an admin to cheat, simply by going into each individual’s permissions for each specific sub-forum, but that ability could also be temporarily locked if Cole were to jump in a game with admin logs indicating when the lock was put in place and removed to preserve the integrity of the game. I’m not implying he would cheat or anything, though, he’s just the only admin that has played the games.
Also kind of seems like a stupid way to cheat, honestly

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
The extra wolf forums per convo sounds a bit excessive.

If we're worried about the engaged in convo thing, what would it show them looking at?

There really isn't just a way to hide it?

If we're worried about people going to these lengths for cheating someone could literally obsessively watch post counts.

Either way. I can't believe we are having this conversation.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
The extra wolf forums per convo sounds a bit excessive.

If we're worried about the engaged in convo thing, what would it show them looking at?

There really isn't just a way to hide it?

If we're worried about people going to these lengths for cheating someone could literally obsessively watch post counts.

Either way. I can't believe we are having this conversation.

I did set it to hide activity for the time being, I think they’re gonna try that route and see if it works before attempting anything else.

Reactions: TD

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
I did set it to hide activity for the time being, I think they’re gonna try that route and see if it works before attempting anything else.
We can go even more simple, use a group and just use a conditional on profiles and whose online. If user is member of group x hide whose online. Saves people needing to tweak their settings

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
We can go even more simple, use a group and just use a conditional on profiles and whose online. If user is member of group x hide whose online. Saves people needing to tweak their settings

I thought about that, but it’s easier to have the members set it themselves so they can opt in/out depending on whether they’re playing or not.

Just as a general FYI, this has been a thing since the OG board. It has, on numerous occasions, blown up in the faces of people trying to use that as evidence for the games - both ways, actually - because, well, wolf isn't the only thing people do. There or here.

I have always intentionally maintained an open profile; I guarantee you no one has ever seen anything I didn't want them to see. I have also never bothered looking at people's activities though, so I won't notice or care if that disappears. :chuckle
This is a lot less practical on mobile though, and even moreso I would imagine if you're also using the app/bookmark.

literal_tryhard.png

Add it to my list of crimes @Tommy Boy. :rofl

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Can you do this while avoiding townies being able to identify or communicate with other townies?

Based on the little I know about the game, it would probably be easier to have the “town” as the main forum since the wolves and other roles potentially interact with the town, right? The wolves know who each other are, so that would make sense for them to have a separate area. That part of the logistics I didn’t really get into because the idea of the games having their own forums never took off, so I never really put much thought into what content went where. I mainly focused on what I was capable of doing with the forums and permissions.

People just need to quit meta gaming.
I'm super curious who the nogoodnik is. But like...

Rep/Reaction score and last login as well, if we're just putting it all out there. At minimum the latter of those happened on the OG forums.

When I jailed you and Kelly as the Warden, and you used the timestamp to determine guilt? That probably qualifies as unintended. :chuckle

A lot of high-profile people used to spend more time in PMs and AIM/MSN than in the actual boards in the OG games, which... sort of went against the spirit of the entire thing too. Obviously some of our games already have rules for this.

If someone's determined enough, they'll find a way. So as with the above, best course of action is probably just making the hosts aware so they can stipulate what will and won't be allowed - and if they're found out, the player gets axed. Easy peasy.

@Fire Queen @Zell 17 @VashTheStampede @Tubby23 @Kat

So... mission accomplished? You're welcome.

Last edited:

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
When I jailed you and Kelly as the Warden, and you used the timestamp to determine guilt? That probably qualifies as unintended. :chuckle
I was really disappointed Zell cooperated with that. It's 100% meta gaming (aka cheating*). So was people saying the confusion wolf couldn't be Tubby because he wasn't around, and people noting that blah blah thing happened while certain people were offline, and people sharing the wording of PMs. That's not the point of the game.

Whenever I host again, I'll make a note that sort of thing won't be tolerated. Punishments will range by anything from me intentionally misleading whoever engages in it to outing their role to straight up killing them.

*I shouldn't have called this cheating. I apologize.

Last edited:
I was really disappointed Zell cooperated with that. It's 100% meta gaming (aka cheating). So was people saying the confusion wolf couldn't be Tubby because he wasn't around, and people noting that blah blah thing happened while certain people were offline, and people sharing the wording of PMs. That's not the point of the game.
Functionally the only recourse for that would be to ignore it the one time, or kill both parties - can't put the worms back in that particular jar.

Things are definitely going to come up that y'all/we're not immediately thinking of, but the players will. Zell already makes pretty extensive use of action queuing - which has helped and hurt at various times 😅 - and that will negate a lot of it outright. But, still, things will get through.

The corrective action ultimately has to be that the players themselves agree to participate in good faith and maintain a fun, positive atmosphere. For themselves and one another; winning isn't the point.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Functionally the only recourse for that would be to ignore it the one time, or kill both parties - can't put the worms back in that particular jar.

Things are definitely going to come up that y'all/we're not immediately thinking of, but the players will. Zell already makes pretty extensive use of action queuing - which has helped and hurt at various times 😅 - and that will negate a lot of it outright. But, still, things will get through.

The corrective action ultimately has to be that the players themselves agree to participate in good faith and maintain a fun, positive atmosphere. For themselves and one another; winning isn't the point.

Ideally, this is what I’d hope for from where I’m sitting, simply because when I originally suggested breaking the wolf games into their own forums or user groups it was to encourage growth… whether it’s more active threads, longer games, or a larger format. The only role the permissions were intended to play were immersion elements, for lack of a better phrasing… I thought that seeing actual forums with layers of permissions based on who you were in the game would be a cool way to add more depth, especially after @VashTheStampede leaned into that storytelling element during his Mafia games later on. I’d hate to finally see it come to fruition only for restrictive purposes after it faced the criticism it faced back then.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Ideally, this is what I’d hope for from where I’m sitting, simply because when I originally suggested breaking the wolf games into their own forums or user groups it was to encourage growth… whether it’s more active threads, longer games, or a larger format. The only role the permissions were intended to play were immersion elements, for lack of a better phrasing… I thought that seeing actual forums with layers of permissions based on who you were in the game would be a cool way to add more depth, especially after @VashTheStampede leaned into that storytelling element during his Mafia games later on. I’d hate to finally see it come to fruition only for restrictive purposes after it faced the criticism it faced back then.
Most people won't be able to interact with anyone though. Only wolves know who's on their team. Unless you're suggesting having multiple game threads for everyone to participate in instead of just the one? Because that sounds like madness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom