Campaign Stormwreck Isle: Journey to Stormwreck Isle (1-P)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
{{It all looks good. }}

Time for blood! Ha haa! Or err... What's left of it in them...

If the rest of you don't want to get close and personal, find some high ground and fling some rocks at them! I'll stay here and hold em off!

{{No rage or anything. End turn.}}
Your javelin lands firmly in the thigh of the nearest Drowned Sailor (Zombie C), though it doesn't seem to phase it that much.

{{Next is @Jon's turn. Still want to use your action on perception, or something different now?}}

Zesty Zapcrackle

Shitposting Development Manager
Your javelin lands firmly in the thigh of the nearest Drowned Sailor (Zombie C), though it doesn't seem to phase it that much.

{{Next is @Jon's turn. Still want to use your action on perception, or something different now?}}
{{I get two, right? Since I don't need to move to fire the crossbow, can I do a perception/investigation check first then fire? The only other thing I'd do is fire then ready, but I don't think that's needed given the distance.}}

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
{{ @Ben , for streamlining purposes, should we post twice for two rolls when attacking? First to hit and in case it hits have our damage roll be there as well?

Edit: Oh nvm. You can do that in one post already in one post lol. Didn't realize that. The idea otherwise still stands.}}
{{Oh and I'd be fine with this. If you roll your d20 and d6/d8 whatever in the same post, I will just take count the damage roll if you hit, otherwise discount it.}}

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
{{I get two, right? Since I don't need to move to fire the crossbow, can I do a perception/investigation check first then fire? The only other thing I'd do is fire then ready, but I don't think that's needed given the distance.}}
{{No, you can't do both. Even if you're not moving, attacking at range counts as your action. The perception check would also count as your action. You can only take 1 action per turn, unless you've got a specific skill or something that lets you take bonus actions, etc.}}

Zesty Zapcrackle

{{No, you can't do both. Even if you're not moving, attacking at range counts as your action. The perception check would also count as your action. You can only take 1 action per turn, unless you've got a specific skill or something that lets you take bonus actions, etc.}}
{{Ok, then yes, I'll just attack. I'll target the FARTHEST zombie since they are all in range because I figure if they get close @Jawneh has a big melee and I can switch to dual wield and have a bonus action with it. I'll roll both the hit and attack here, knowing if I miss the attack is irrelevant.}}

Zesty lines up a crossbow shot on the farthest zombie.

Attempt to shoot a crossbow bolt at the farthest zombie.

{{noticed after I did the roll and I can't edit, but my hit is a +4 modifier}}

{{EDIT - Of course the d8 would be critical... >.> Better hit...}}

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
{{Ok, then yes, I'll just attack. I'll target the FARTHEST zombie since they are all in range because I figure if they get close @Jawneh has a big melee and I can switch to dual wield and have a bonus action with it. I'll roll both the hit and attack here, knowing if I miss the attack is irrelevant.}}

Zesty lines up a crossbow shot on the farthest zombie.

Attempt to shoot a crossbow bolt at the farthest zombie.

{{noticed after I did the roll and I can't edit, but my hit is a +4 modifier}}

{{EDIT - Of course the d8 would be critical... >.> Better hit...}}
Your bolt finds its mark in the shoulder of Zombie B. It's jaw opens as it groans and seawater pours out, but it doesn't slow down.

{{Doing it this way works pretty well, and will at least speed things up a touch.

Also going forward, for the sake of speed, I'm going to assume that you'll take all the actions you want to in one post. If you want to move a portion of your move speed, attack, move the rest, activate a bonus action, etc. you can drop all of those actions into one post.}}

Zombie C dashes forward, for as much as something with atrophying muscle fibers can dash. It moves 40 feet to close the range on Nac.

1705343659646.png

{{Dash means it can move double it's normal movement speed (20ft) but doesn't get to attack on the same turn.

@Smacktard Moonsprout is up next.}}

• Shocked
Reactions: Jon

Moonsprout Beandirt

Connoisseur of fine video games
As Moonsprout is scanning the grass for flowers and herbs, he notices one of the shambling, waterlogged zombies suddenly thrust its arms behind its back, making them parallel to the ground, tilt its torso forward, and run through the crashing waves straight to the shoreline. Moonsprout marvels at the surprising dexterity of the gruesome creature. He whispers a silent apology to the Earth Mother for doubting the beauty of her creations, and thinks about how he could make use of such tactics in his own day-to-day.

But as the creature approaches Nac, and -- even worse -- Moonsprout, himself! -- the time for thinking is running short. He has two options ahead of himself:

1. Try to think even harder, and recall something useful about the rotting corpse-creature, or
  2. Conceal himself nearby and continue gathering herbs and flowers
Ultimately, he chooses the more cowardly and self-serving of the two options.

Moonsprout gets ready to launch himself toward the tall seaside grasses that grow nearby.

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
{{I'm starting to feel like Magic may be a better course of action against these things, lol}}
{{Don't worry about it yet. For all we know, both those zombies might be half dea-... half not moving anymore. There's 3 more folks to take their turn to potentially remove one or two of those depending on what we do. Unless... }}

Moonsprout gets ready to launch himself toward the tall seaside grasses that grow nearby.
{{And he gooooone! :D }}

Moonsprout uses the Bardic Inspiration bonus action on Nac.
{{Yaas. Hiding (going into stealth) is an action, but your bardic inspiration is a bonus action so you can do both! }}

Moonsprout Beandirt

Connoisseur of fine video games
{{And he gooooone! :D }}
{{Waiting on the outcome of the roll to see if my hiding skills will be like

backing up homer simpson GIF

or like

remake highquality GIF
}}

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
As Moonsprout is scanning the grass for flowers and herbs, he notices one of the shambling, waterlogged zombies suddenly thrust its arms behind its back, making them parallel to the ground, tilt its torso forward, and run through the crashing waves straight to the shoreline. Moonsprout marvels at the surprising dexterity of the gruesome creature. He whispers a silent apology to the Earth Mother for doubting the beauty of her creations, and thinks about how he could make use of such tactics in his own day-to-day.

But as the creature approaches Nac, and -- even worse -- Moonsprout, himself! -- the time for thinking is running short. He has two options ahead of himself:

1. Try to think even harder, and recall something useful about the rotting corpse-creature, or
  2. Conceal himself nearby and continue gathering herbs and flowers
Ultimately, he chooses the more cowardly and self-serving of the two options.

1705351855372.png
+3 = 5

You dive into the grass edging along the small embankment next to the path. The grass is no longer than average grass, though, and your pantless ass is still entirely visible to everyone including the Zombies.

Moonsprout uses the Bardic Inspiration bonus action on Nac.

{{Can I do this? Also, I'd try to write it up comically, but I don't know the outcome of my roll.}}

From where your face is nuzzled into the soft green carpet of the area, you sing a jaunty tune towards Nac which makes him feel inspired somehow. Nac now has Bardic Inspiration.

{{You don't need to roll to use this, it's a given as long as you're within range. So Nac can now add a 1d6 on top of one ability check, attack roll or saving throw. So if he rolls to hit one of the zombies, he can choose to add the result of the 1d6 on top of the d20 to hit plus the existing modifier. He can also save it for another turn later, as long as it's used within 10 minutes (game time)

@An Anatomically Correct Pineapple is up next.}}

• Haha

Zesty Zapcrackle

{{It ain't a competition, my man. I'd be lucky to have as much of a handle on all this as the Humanoid Typhoon.

I just try to mask my lack of skills with humor. 🤫}}
{{I am positive you're both doing fucking amazing. I'm enjoying this immensely, and i'm sure I'll enjoy watching Vash's campaign unfold. Just not looking forward to Kut's purple. :link }}

That shit moved faster than expected. I'll let these big boys be my shield

Short Order backs away as far as he can from the closest zombie, then turns and casts frostbite on it

{{I think I roll a d6 here, but let me know if I need to reroll.}}

• D-20
Reactions: Ben
OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
That shit moved faster than expected. I'll let these big boys be my shield

Short Order backs away as far as he can from the closest zombie, then turns and casts frostbite on it

{{I think I roll a d6 here, but let me know if I need to reroll.}}
{{Your Frostbite spell doesn't use the spell-casting ability modifier. You can tell both from the spell description, and there being no +X under the spell effect. So just the 1d6.

1705371873804.png

As opposed to Healing Word, which does use the spell-casting ability modifier;

1705371856554.png}}

You run as far as your little legs can carry you up the path and away from the shambling corpse as it lurches to a halt in front of Nac.

1705372055608.png

1705372169545.png

You pivot on your feet and mutter a word in Druidic as your mind fills with thoughts of ice forming within bloated necrotic flesh, envisioning the seawater that saturates the tissue of the nearest zombie turning to crystalline daggers and bursting through it's cells.

"Reothadh!"

The last letter leaves your mouth on a breath of cold mist that quickly swirls and dissipates in the warm sun that bathes the beach. The zombie that has rushed out of the water takes a slightly blue hue as the frostbite creeps across it's tattered skin and it becomes slightly more lethargic, though not much visible damage appeared to be caused.

{{Zombie C has a disadvantage on it's attack until the end of the next turn.

It's worth mentioning, none of the spells and such have actual defined words for casting them, etc. You can really come up with whatever you want to for this. I just picked the Scottish Gaelic word for "freeze" as it seemed fitting, but if you want to give it your own flavor you can include your own wording in the action of your post.

And just to clarify a bit further, I'll never be telling you outright how much HP something has left. I might give you some hints in the writing describing how the look like they're faring, but not a straight up X/Y HP remaining. You could use a perception action to try to discern how damaged they are, though, if you ever deem it necessary. It's not necessarily worth it, here.

@Nae'blis is up, though probably not up, as it's 4am for him.

1705373407706.png

But as I mentioned earlier, I have tomorrow off and no one home to require things of me, so I'll hopefully be on top of this more.}}

Nac McWeeble

Incense & Iron
As the soggy, slightly blue undead comes to a halt in front of him Nac smiles and says, as raises his fists to a fighting stance:

Ah, how kind of ye to bring the party to me! Now let me introduce ye to the lads, Righty and Lefty!

As he's about to punch, he hears a tune drifting over from a patch of grass with an ass sticking out of it. It reminds him of his days in the monastery for some reason.

Nac punches Zombie C, and with his bonus action punches again, using the Bardic inspiration on the first punch.

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
As the soggy, slightly blue undead comes to a halt in front of him Nac smiles and says, as raises his fists to a fighting stance:

Ah, how kind of ye to bring the party to me! Now let me introduce ye to the lads, Righty and Lefty!

As he's about to punch, he hears a tune drifting over from a patch of grass with an ass sticking out of it. It reminds him of his days in the monastery for some reason.

Nac punches Zombie C, and with his bonus action punches again, using the Bardic inspiration on the first punch.

1705386846128.png
+3 = 6

The jaunty tune with a blue-(gr)ass vibe makes you want to snap your fingers along to the rhythm. This is problematic as you're just about to punch the zombie nearest to you in the chest. The melody overpowers you and just before your fist connects, your fingers snap together and you deftly twist the nipple off of the frosty undead sailor. It's eyes roll around several times in it's head as it lets out a gurgling howl.

1705386952838.png
+3 = 5

You flick the nipple away like a booger, the melting piece of rotting flesh sailing towards the waves before a seagull swoops down to pluck it from the air. You're awash with equal parts awe and disgust, but your martial training moves your muscles in a well practiced kata, and your fist hurtles forward to connect squarely in the middle of Shamblin OneNip's chest. You hear it's sternum and ribs crack, the sound reverberating inside it's hollow chest cavity, and a spray of seawater erupts from the hole you just twisted into it's pectoral. The zombie looks more concave than before and is struggling to stay upright, but it manages to do so.

{{Couldn't resist.}}

Zombie A lurches forward out of the waves, dragging it's feet across the sand until it stands swaying before Nac.

1705388460406.png

Zombie B splashes out of the surf and halts on the other side of Zombie C, before Aims'Orreh.

1705388480834.png

1705388518634.png

{{One full round of combat completed! We circle back around to @Jawneh now.}}

Zesty Zapcrackle

{{Oh, and not relevant to this battle, but I made this for you guys

View attachment 6834

Largely off of the character sheet descriptions, but you get what you get. :shrug }}
{{Absolutely LOVE this! Great commemorative of the forums' first Dungeon party!

@Ben - if I read the handbook correctly, I am able to sheath and unsheathe weapons as part of my regular attack option during my turn, right? So if I want to switch from crossbow to my melee weapons, I can do that and attack on the same turn, right? Just prepping for my turn after Jawneh's. Hoping we've done more damage than it appears, based on the fact that all the zombies are still mobile. Wish I had lightning spells equipped. With all the sea water I bet zap zap would be nice.}}

Zesty Zapcrackle

{{OK peeps, here is my table chatter for round two strategy that I'd have if we were all huddled around the table.

I did some research in terms of monsters. If this is NOT allowed, @Ben please let me know and I will not do it again.

[[BEN-SNIP]]

It seems likely Zombie C is teetering at the edge of life while Zombie B is halfway. We should probably focus fire to try and kill one or two this turn. Both Jawneh and I act before Zombie C so if we can kill him, all five of us move before the other two. Perhaps this is wise to set us up to preserve as much HP as possible?

If you're planning to melee, Jawneh, you hit MUCH harder there. I wonder if it's not wiser to attack zombie B, and I can attack zombie C, hopefully killing it. Then, if B isn't dead from you, Kelly/Alu can finish it off and we can chip away at Zombie A.

Thoughts?}}

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
@Ben - if I read the handbook correctly, I am able to sheath and unsheathe weapons as part of my regular attack option during my turn, right? So if I want to switch from crossbow to my melee weapons, I can do that and attack on the same turn, right? Just prepping for my turn after Jawneh's. Hoping we've done more damage than it appears, based on the fact that all the zombies are still mobile. Wish I had lightning spells equipped. With all the sea water I bet zap zap would be nice.}}
{{The rules-as-written are kind of confusing here, but I'd interpret it as such;
  1. You can draw or sheath a weapon as part of either your movement or action, but not both.
  2. To change weapons in one turn, you'd need to sheath what you've currently got in your hand first as part of either your movement or action, then draw the new weapon on the movement or action that you didn't already use.
    • You could drop the first weapon to the ground as your object interaction, draw the new one as part of your movement, then attack using your action. But you'd have to specifically pick up the first weapon in order to use it again and that'd count as another action.
  3. So to paraphrase that;
    • You could draw a weapon and attack with it in the same turn.
    • You could attack and then put away your weapon in the same turn (to take out a new one on the next turn).
    • You could drop your current weapon, draw a new one and attack with it on the same turn.
    • You cannot sheath your weapon, draw a new one, and attack all on the same turn.

{{I did some research in terms of monsters. If this is NOT allowed, @Ben please let me know and I will not do it again.}}

This is generally considered to be a dick move. It's like you're whipping out the Monster Manual while sitting at the table mid-game to learn things that your character would otherwise not know. OR that your character would need to use a knowledge check for.

On top of that, a DM can always change monsters from what they are as written in the Monster Manual. They could have more health than listed, they could have different resistances, etc. Thinking you can meta-study up on everything is probably going to get you into trouble at some point, especially if I think that's what you're doing, and you suddenly find that these zombies can fly.

As such I'm going to yoink all that stuff out of your post and just leave the strategy part.}}

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
{{ @Ben , as the zombie I chucked my javelin into is right there, I'm sure I can just grab it out in some way, BUT could I instead grab it and pick the zombie up with it and slam it against the other one who dashes at me? :D }}

• Hmm
Reactions: Ben
OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
{{You could try! That's kind of half-grapple, half-improvised weapon, which would generally wouldn't do as much as your regular attack would.

If you can succeed on a strength (athletics) check as well as your roll to hit, I'll probably allow it.

You could retrieve the javelin and attack with it on the same turn, though. }}

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
{{Oh hell yeah! Zombie on a skewer!}}

Aims watches as all the zombies meander as fast as they can towards him and Nac. Of them the first one conveniently delivering his javelin back to him. It wasn't a moment later he witnessed what was probably the weirdest combo attack ever of the monk humming a tune before 1-2 punching the zombies nipple off and the follow up crushing through its chest. Can't argue results he wonders.

i have no idea where you learned that move monk, but leave that one to me! The rotting asshole that it is and has brought back me my javelin.

Aims looks over to his left and sees the last zombie dashing towards him and that gives him an idea.

Ohhh, coming to join the party? No worries, itll be a SMASH!

Aims grabs hold of the javelin in the zombies thigh and attempts to pick it upnwith the zombie and slam that right into the next one dashing over.

Rrrrrrraaaagggghhh!

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
{{Oh hell yeah! Zombie on a skewer!}}

Aims watches as all the zombies meander as fast as they can towards him and Nac. Of them the first one conveniently delivering his javelin back to him. It wasn't a moment later he witnessed what was probably the weirdest combo attack ever of the monk humming a tune before 1-2 punching the zombies nipple off and the follow up crushing through its chest. Can't argue results he wonders.

i have no idea where you learned that move monk, but leave that one to me! The rotting asshole that it is and has brought back me my javelin.

Aims looks over to his left and sees the last zombie dashing towards him and that gives him an idea.

Ohhh, coming to join the party? No worries, itll be a SMASH!

Aims grabs hold of the javelin in the zombies thigh and attempts to pick it upnwith the zombie and slam that right into the next one dashing over.

Rrrrrrraaaagggghhh!
1705431939523.png
+5 = 10
{{Sorry, though it'd be cool, the 10 didn't overcome what would have been a hard difficulty action to accomplish.}}

You grasp the spear protruding from the undead creature's thigh and attempt to leverage it up off of the ground, but the rotting flesh gives no purchase and the javelin slides out with a viscous suction sound.

1705431952923.png
{{Giving you the +5 since it's just the javelin}}
+5 = 23

Hits.

1705431970597.png
{{As I had to adjust to have you just use the javelin like normal, I rolled a 1d6+3 for the damage to make sure you got the most out of it. However, both of us sucked on that damage roll so it was destined to be a 4.}}

1705432893492.png

The javelin spins deftly in your palm as it pulls free of the first zombie's flesh, the tip flinging dark ichor in an arc. You grasp the shaft to secure your grip and drive it into the throat of Zombie B, where it slides through the putrid tendons cutting a deep gash through the left side of it's neck. The monster bellows, but half the sound escapes through the ragged hole in a series of large bubbles.

{{ @Jon is up next.}}

{{Oh, also, it turned into a snow-day where pre-K was closed, so my daughter's been home and my day off to myself evaporated. Just to explain why I'm not as on top of this as I'd hoped to be. 😮‍💨 }}

Zesty Zapcrackle

{{Well, since I'm stuck with my crossbow for now...}}

Watching his compatriot drive a javelin through the neck of the encroaching zombie has set Zesty's blood on fire. In a desperate attempt to help his team, Zesty nocks another arrow to his crossbow and preparest to take aim.

Zesty steps back 10 feet from the nearest zombie. Zesty attempts to fire an arrow at Zombie C.

After loosing an arrow, Zesty places his crossbow and bolts back into his inventory.

{{I think that's right for what I was intending this turn.}}

Aims'Orreh Mwuh'Bwadd

Full-time time waster
Aims is in disbelief that he didn't pick up the zombie.

This rotting thing can even stay in one piece for me to murder it. Bah! How dare!

You got a good eye there tiefling. Lets get rid of this one here first! That nippleless one is too chilled to hit us anyways!

OP
D&D Character

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
{{Well, since I'm stuck with my crossbow for now...}}

Watching his compatriot drive a javelin through the neck of the encroaching zombie has set Zesty's blood on fire. In a desperate attempt to help his team, Zesty nocks another arrow to his crossbow and preparest to take aim.

Zesty steps back 10 feet from the nearest zombie. Zesty attempts to fire an arrow at Zombie C.

After loosing an arrow, Zesty places his crossbow and bolts back into his inventory.

{{I think that's right for what I was intending this turn.}}

1705437230111.png
1705437269160.png

1705438517222.png
+4 = 22

Hits.

1705437076263.png
+2 = 9

You loose a bolt from your crossbow that strikes Zombie C squarely between the eyes, the wooden projectile burying itself inside its skull up to the fletching. It sways back on it's heels with the force of the impact, but despite the damage incurred it refuses to succumb. The milky white eyes of the mobile cadaver fix on you and seethe with malice as you stow your crossbow behind your back.

{{Zombie C's turn}}

With the sound of cracked bones grinding against each other, the zombie straightens and lets out a ragged hiss of frustration. It swipes at Nac with claws of bared bone, but the monk ducks instinctively and avoids the blow entirely.

{{ @Smacktard is up next.}}

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom