• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Sony PS Plus Monthly Games - June '24

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
As you all may know already, if you value your sanity, don't play the Mega Man Legacy Collection :chuckle
Should I be scared?
One step closer to then trying out an MMX game, and from there - Legends! I need Legends 3 in my veins over here Capcom, what is you doin'?!

I'm floored y'all didn't experience this series before, though!
Am I missing out?

If so, is there a good place to start?

Raine

Chief Liquid Officer, Shitposting Dept.
GW Elder
Am I missing out?
Totally. Dubious nature of any given port/emulation job notwithstanding. MMX1 in particular is cursed in that literally every port it has ever received has had worse input lag than the original SNES release, and none of them quite feel "right" if that's the version you (grew up) played(ing).

But it's also one of the greatest video games of all time, so knocking a few points off still results in an amazing game. :chuckle

TD said:
If so, is there a good place to start?
Well... that kind of depends. There are technically, uh... 6, I think? 7? I've lost count. There are technically many independent sub-series within the Mega Man franchise, many of which ran and released games concurrently. So, for example, Mega Man (NES) and Mega Man X (SNES) are wildly different beasts in terms of mobility and difficulty despite only releasing 6 years apart. MM1 doesn't have dashing/sliding/skipping/wall climbing, you just move left, right and shoot. But even MM6, which released just a month before MMX, isn't anywhere as fast because each sub-series is trying to do something different.

You can honestly just jump in wherever with MM/MMX and see what you think, but depending on the exact game the number of abilities will vary and may or may not be a good representation of the next one you try/play. Mega Man Zero is best approached after MMX - not really because of lore or anything although that also applies if you care, but because MMZ (and MMZX lol) is just a straight evolution over what MMX was building. And it's/they're pretty hard.

Legends and Battle Network/Star Force are their own beasts. Legends is a 3D action series that was way ahead of its time, and BN/SF are weird little grid-based RPGs.

• Cheers!
Reactions: TD

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Oh gosh that honesty sounds pretty overwhelming with everything on my backlog already to be honest.

Now I know how people who know nothing about FF feel when others talk about it.

Raine

GW Elder
Oh gosh that honesty sounds pretty overwhelming with everything on my backlog already to be honest.

Now I know how people who know nothing about FF feel when others talk about it.
Pfft. There are only 11 MM games, 6 MM spin-off games, 8 MMX games, 3 MMX spin-off games, 4 MMZ games, 2 MMZX games, 3 MML games, 6 MMBN games (3 of which have 2 versions Pokemon-style each but I digress) and... okay yeah Star Force is overwhelming(ly dumb), but there's probably a reason Mega Man fell off and it's that. :giggle

Nah but each non-RPG having a relatively short runtime helps immensely. Could probably reasonably bust through one of the games in a weekend afternoon completely blind, assuming the difficulty doesn't lock you down.

But also the series is like 35~36 years old so they're not going anywhere either!

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Pfft. There are only 11 MM games, 6 MM spin-off games, 8 MMX games, 3 MMX spin-off games, 4 MMZ games, 2 MMZX games, 3 MML games, 6 MMBN games (3 of which have 2 versions Pokemon-style each but I digress) and... okay yeah Star Force is overwhelming(ly dumb), but there's probably a reason Mega Man fell off and it's that. :giggle
ONLY..
Only!?
Screaming Derek Hough GIF by NBC World Of Dance

Nah but each non-RPG having a relatively short runtime helps immensely. Could probably reasonably bust through one of the games in a weekend afternoon completely blind, assuming the difficulty doesn't lock you down.

But also the series is like 35~36 years old so they're not going anywhere either!
So they're relatively quick games assuming I'm not trash at them?

That's a plus.

There's like 6 in this group that I'll probably first alone.

Raine

GW Elder
So they're relatively quick games assuming I'm not trash at them?

That's a plus.

There's like 6 in this group that I'll probably first alone.
Haha, yeah. MM and MMX are just platformers with pewpewing, so I wouldn't expect anything to exceed like 5 hours with excessive difficulty blocking. Probably closer to like 90-120 minutes if you get into the groove and consult the internet for Wily's Castle/Sigma's Hideout and whatnot.

• Cheers!
I found Power Wash Simulator to be very soothing. It got me through some stressful times.

I'm curious enough about the other two to download them and give them a try, which is more than I can say for the games in the last few months. We'll see if they hold my attention longer than fifteen minutes.

I've also never played a Mega Man game and would like to! I like hearing that they're short, so I might give that a whirl soon.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
For Mega Man, you can probably just start with the first entry in each series. People complain about Mega Man 1 but I found it controls just fine. The Mega Man games are straight up excellent.

Some good starting points are:
Mega Man 1, 2, or 9
Mega Man X1
I know you're a big Mega Man guy so I was hoping you'd chime in.

Smacktard

Connoisseur of fine video games
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I know you're a big Mega Man guy so I was hoping you'd chime in.
The MM series are all a bit different from each other, so you might enjoy MMX and Legends and then find that you hate MM.

Even the individual games within the series can be mighty different from each other. Mega Man 3 introduces the charge shot, and MM4 the slide. MM9 removes both of those, and MM10 reintroduces them. It's a bit all over the board.

MM9 is one of the best games ever made IMO, but it's tough as nails. I think it's a great starting point. If you don't like it, you probably won't like the other games in the series.

MMX degrades with every iteration IMO. MMX4 is the exception, but after X5 the series is pretty much unplayable.

• Cheers!

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
The MM series are all a bit different from each other, so you might enjoy MMX and Legends and then find that you hate MM.

Even the individual games within the series can be mighty different from each other. Mega Man 3 introduces the charge shot, and MM4 the slide. MM9 removes both of those, and MM10 reintroduces them. It's a bit all over the board.

MM9 is one of the best games ever made IMO, but it's tough as nails. I think it's a great starting point. If you don't like it, you probably won't like the other games in the series.

MMX degrades with every iteration IMO. MMX4 is the exception, but after X5 the series is pretty much unplayable.
Adding and removing things - who do they think they are. EA!?

Jokes aside - when I give it a go maybe I'll start with 9.. if I ever get to it.

Sometimes I game for a couple hours, sometimes I don't for a couple weeks cause I'm just like that.

Not enough time in the day.

Smacktard

Connoisseur of fine video games
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Adding and removing things - who do they think they are. EA!?

Jokes aside - when I give it a go maybe I'll start with 9.. if I ever get to it.

Sometimes I game for a couple hours, sometimes I don't for a couple weeks cause I'm just like that.

Not enough time in the day.
I get it. I'm the same way sometimes. I tend to focus on one thing at a time, whether it's gaming, writing, devving, guitar, whatever.

The MM series can seem a bit overwhelming with so many entries, but keep in mind each game is only a couple of hours long. You can blow through a whole series in a couple of weeks.

Did you ever go back to do all of Superliminal?

I saw there were speedrun trophies and I hate those kind.
I did finish it but I don't think I'll platinum it. I don't like speed run trophies either. I might replay it with the dev commentary though. The hidden stuff is also too hidden, and playing it with a guide to get all that wasn't very fun.

Raine

GW Elder
PS Plus Monthly Games - January '24

psplus_january'24.png

Article:
PlayStation Plus Monthly Games for January: A Plague Tale: Requiem, Evil West, Nobody Saves the World

Today, we’re happy to reveal the inaugural PlayStation Plus Monthly Games lineup of 2024. January’s titles of A Plague Tale: Requiem, Evil West and Nobody Saves the World will be available to PlayStation Plus members on Tuesday, January 2 until Monday, February 5. Let’s take a closer look at each game.

A Plague Tale: Requiem | PS5
In this sequel to award-winning adventure, A Plague Tale: Innocence, Amicia and Hugo travel far south to new regions and vibrant cities after escaping their devastated homeland. There, they attempt to start a new life and control Hugo’s curse. But, when Hugo’s powers reawaken, death and destruction return in a flood of devouring rats. Forced to flee once more, the siblings place their hopes in a prophesized island that may hold the key to saving Hugo. Discover the cost of saving those you love in a desperate struggle for survival, overcoming foes and challenges with a variety of weapons, tools and unearthly powers.

Evil West | PS4, PS5
A dark menace consumes the American frontier. As one of the last agents in a top secret vampire-hunting institute, you are the final line between humanity and a deep-rooted terror that now emerges from the shadows. Unleash hell with your firearms, lightning-fueled gauntlet and gadgets. Kill bloodthirsty monstrosities in style as a lone hunter or in co-op with a friend. Explore and fight in a narrative-driven campaign while upgrading your weapons and hunting tools. Unlock new perks to evolve your monster-slaying mastery, crafting your own playstyle to defeat the supernatural hordes.

Nobody Saves the World | PS4, PS5
When the ancient Calamity re-awakens, who can save the world? Nobody! (That’s you, you’re Nobody.) Master the art of transformation to become a Slug, Ghost, Dragon, and more in this new take on action RPGs from the creators of Guacamelee. Complete quests to discover and swap between 15+ varied and distinct Forms, with each offering its own set of quests, which you can complete in creative ways. Mix and match abilities in unexpected ways to unlock and complete even MORE challenging quests. Explore a vast overworld – on your own or with a friend online – while clearing shape-shifting dungeons in an effort to stop The Calamity and save the world!

Warframe: Syrinx Collection – exclusive PlayStation Plus Pack
In addition to the Monthly Games lineup, January 2 will also see the release of the Warframe Syrinx Collection. This exclusive PlayStation Plus pack contains multiple weapons, armor and items for Digital Extremes’ F2P sci-fi multiplayer action title. Once downloaded, they’ll all be available in your in-game Warframe inventory immediately, regardless of whether you’re a new or returning player.

The pack includes:
  • Syrinx Chest Plate
  • Syrinx Shoulder Plates
  • Syrinx Leg Plates
  • Baza Rifle
  • Cassowar Polearm
  • Storm Color Palette
  • Essential Base Damage Mod Bundle
  • Essential Critical Damage Mod Bundle
  • 2x Orokin Catalysts
  • 170 Platinum
  • 7-Day Affinity Booster
  • 7-Day Credit Booster

You’ll be able to find and download this pack in addition to the PlayStation Plus Monthly Games line up on PlayStation Store. Download Warframe from PlayStation Store to access.

Last chance to download December’s Monthly Games
PlayStation Plus members have until January 1 to add Lego 2K Drive, Powerwash Simulator and Sable to their game library.

PlayStation Plus Spotify Playlist
Also, check out our PlayStation Plus monthly games-inspired playlist on Spotify, which will be refreshed with new songs every month.

Last edited:
  • Chef’s Kiss

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
So Essential starts off the year stong it looks like.

Requiem I've heard is really good. I played the first mainly because I was looking for a game to play, by the end it was a bit too weird for me.

Evil West is a great example of a game I'd want to try, would never buy, and would probably never creep up the backlog.

Nobody Saves the World.. this one, intrigues me.

Raine

GW Elder
Article:
PlayStation Plus Game Catalog for January: Resident Evil 2, Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands, Hardspace: Shipbreaker and more

Following on from 2024’s inaugural PlayStation Plus Monthly Games lineup, today we can announce the first additions to the PlayStation Plus Game Catalog*. Enjoy a survival horror masterclass in the shape of Resident Evil 2, fuse D&D with guns via Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands, experience the daily life of a blue-collar spaceship salvager in Hardspace: Shipbreaker and get destructive in paradise with Just Cause 3. These and many more titles are playable from January 16. Let’s take a closer look at each game in turn.

PlayStation Plus Extra and Premium | Game Catalog
Tiny Tina’s Wonderlands – Next-Level Edition | PS4, PS5
Resident Evil 2 | PS4, PS5
Hardspace: Shipbreaker | PS5
LEGO City Undercover | PS4
Just Cause 3 | PS4
Session: Skate Sim | PS4, PS5
Shadow Tactics: Blades of the Shogun | PS4
Vampire: The Masquerade – Swansong | PS4, PS5
Surviving the Aftermath | PS4

PlayStation Premium | Classics
Rally Cross | PS4, PS5
Star Wars: Episode 1 The Phantom Menace | PS4, PS5
Street Fighter: 30th Anniversary Collection | PS4
Legend of Mana | PS4
Secret of Mana | PS4

Additionally, we’re pleased to share that select series from Crunchyroll will be available to PlayStation Plus Premium/Deluxe members via Sony Pictures Core in the following additional regions starting on January 15: Netherlands, Portugal, Poland, Ireland, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, and Finland. PlayStation Plus Premium/Deluxe members have access to a curated catalog of 100 movies** to watch on demand from Sony Pictures Core and curated content from Crunchyroll will be included.

• Seen

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
...two Mana games.

Great.

Tiny Tinas

Also great.

This may sound sarcastic but these are actually great. What's not so great? My backlog.

Raine

GW Elder
A wild Option Paralysis Demon has appeared! :eek:

The Mana games are cute, fun and enjoyable. I remember playing Rally Cross back in the day and having fun with it; no idea how archaic it would be at this point though! Obviously Resident Evil 2 is a no-brainer as long as being scared isn't an issue.

The Plague Tale games are somewhere in my backlog. Watched my partner play a decent chunk of the first game, and it seemed pretty interesting.

that or Stranger of Paradise
Glutton for punishment! :giggle

• Haha

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
The Mana games are cute, fun and enjoyable.
The SNES Secret of Mana was one of my favourites at the time. I'll probably give this version a go.
Obviously Resident Evil 2 is a no-brainer as long as being scared isn't an issue.
...I have never played a Resident Evil game.
The Plague Tale games are somewhere in my backlog. Watched my partner play a decent chunk of the first game, and it seemed pretty interesting.
The first one had me into it for like the first 90%.
Glutton for punishment! :giggle
Oh no. What does this mean!? Is it as bad as the reviews say?
I love me some Tiny Tina
Have you played Wonderland or is this referring to Borderlands?

Raine

GW Elder
I need to play Borderlands, et al at some point. We keep buying them (and re-buying them lol), but I haven't really done more than like an hour or two of any of them and she's only finished the first game.

We all need a reprieve from capitalism a Hyperbolic Time Chamber to actually deal with all the shit we want to play. :chuckle

• Haha

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I need to play Borderlands, et al at some point. We keep buying them (and re-buying them lol), but I haven't really done more than like an hour or two of any of them and she's only finished the first game.
They're great games but time consuming. Best experienced as co op in my opinion.

We all need a reprieve from capitalism a Hyperbolic Time Chamber to actually deal with all the shit we want to play. :chuckle
I have a "Games to Try" folder in my library on PS5. Last I checked there was almost 90 in there...

Raine

GW Elder
The SNES Secret of Mana was one of my favourites at the time. I'll probably give this version a go.
I think they were pretty faithful to/with it, for once. So it should hold up pretty well hopefully.

Legend was an interesting, experimental-ish game. Never really tried to sit and figure out how to "actually" play it back in the day, but wandering around with a friend and building up the world and such was pretty fun.

TD said:
It's okay, probably! I played RE2 on PS1 for like 10 minutes tops before shutting off the console and returning the game. 😅

RE4 was, of course, amazing. So I have every confidence RE2make is as good as people say, and will probably overcome my hesitation (...and backlog) and make a go of it one day.

RE4 and RE5 are the only two I've beaten; RE5 is a nice little co-op game, but definitely not a good RE game. Also all the racism and sexism makes me wonder how, or if, Capcom is going to handle remaking that one. 'Cause oof.

TD said:
I'unno, you were supposed to tell me! :tease But yeah everything I've ever heard about the actual gameplay as been pretty solidly "not great," though people did/do apparently get some enjoyment out of the characters/story being an endearing mess?

• Hmm

Christina

I see you
Queen of the Dead
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder

The first one had me into it for like the first 90%.

Have you played Wonderland or is this referring to Borderlands?
I have played Wonderland and greatly enjoyed it. It very much plays like a borderlands game, but with a fun map and story. It will get you in the DnD spirit.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I think they were pretty faithful to/with it, for once. So it should hold up pretty well hopefully.
I just looked up a video and I'm not sure how I feel about the art direction. They also said they upgraded combat, so I'll approach with caution.
Legend was an interesting, experimental-ish game. Never really tried to sit and figure out how to "actually" play it back in the day, but wandering around with a friend and building up the world and such was pretty fun.
This sounds like it's right up my alley.
It's okay, probably! I played RE2 on PS1 for like 10 minutes tops before shutting off the console and returning the game. 😅

RE4 was, of course, amazing. So I have every confidence RE2make is as good as people say, and will probably overcome my hesitation (...and backlog) and make a go of it one day.
I looked up a trailer and it looks terrifying. Not that I get scared easy I've just never really played horror games.. aside from that time I played Fatal Frame at a friends house when I was a lot younger and we turned off the lights for "immersion".
I'unno, you were supposed to tell me! :tease But yeah everything I've ever heard about the actual gameplay as been pretty solidly "not great," though people did/do apparently get some enjoyment out of the characters/story being an endearing mess?
...right, I was! Whoops. I've been in a gaming slump for about a month now but trying to get back into it. I find myself trying at least most Final Fantasy games. I played it for like 20 minutes... earlier this week? The story seems like it could be interesting. Combat was... well, not my favourite.

VashTheStampede

Jawneh isn't The Courier
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I have played Wonderland and greatly enjoyed it. It very much plays like a borderlands game, but with a fun map and story. It will get you in the DnD spirit.
There's a moment in Wonderlands that is a top 10 funniest gaming moments in history IMO.

Torgue is my dude.

• Seen

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Oooh getting into DnD spirit is interesting. I'm assuming like Borderlands it can be co op too, I'm sure I could get my buddy I played Borderlands with to hop in.

VashTheStampede

Jawneh isn't The Courier
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Oooh getting into DnD spirit is interesting. I'm assuming like Borderlands it can be co op too, I'm sure I could get my buddy I played Borderlands with to hop in.
It has co-op but when I played with a friend it was janky AF. This was when it was relatively new so hopefully the multi-player isn't as broken now.

• Cheers!
I've been playing one of the current monthly games, Nobody Saves the World. I like it, it's not too tough and there's lots of things to do. It has a weird vibe, though. On the surface, it's light-hearted, but uh... this is the mermaid form.

Mermaid_-_nobody_saves_the_world.png

A friend of mine who plays a lot of horror games watched me play it a bit today and was pretty freaked out, and couldn't understand how I could play it when I'm terrified of every scary game out there.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
...yeah, I gave Stranger of Paradise 30 minutes today, wasn't feeling it so I checked out the Before You Buy.

Could be now is not the time, but maybe it won't ever be.

I now know why Vash said "CHAOS" though.

Raine

GW Elder
I now know why Vash said "CHAOS" though.
The memes for that game are hysterical. I still do not know if Square did any of that intentionally (I assume not lol) or if they're still stuck in their Nu Metal Edgelord phase circa 2003, but either way - it's a hoot as an outside observer.

I need to spend some time this weekend tinkering with my silly projects. Mayhaps I'll give SoP a whirl before the end of the year... but probably not! :giggle

I love everything about Prey except playing it.

S-tier opening 30 minutes
This was me quite often with BioShock 2, for some reason. I handled the first game pretty well a couple years earlier, but 2 had me startled and panicky over the strangest, most innocuous things and I still don't really understand why. Both Prey games are in my backlog so I'll look forward to this experience eventually.

OG Dead Space's first level is the most stress I have ever experienced in a video game. To the point where I have yet to play the second level ~15 years later! I heard there are creepy necro babies in the third level or something like that. I probably will never get that far!

• Haha

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
The memes for that game are hysterical. I still do not know if Square did any of that intentionally (I assume not lol) or if they're still stuck in their Nu Metal Edgelord phase circa 2003, but either way - it's a hoot as an outside observer.

I need to spend some time this weekend tinkering with my silly projects. Mayhaps I'll give SoP a whirl before the end of the year... but probably not! :giggle
Oh no.. I've become the guy who isn't aware of the memes for the games he is attempting to play. How oh how did this happen.

...I wouldn't encourage you to actually try SoP, but maybe you have my perseverance than I do.

Raine

GW Elder

This one will contain actual spoilers, but you can just watch the first three seconds and immediately get the gist:

Apparently Jack is TL;DR incarnate. 🤔

...I wouldn't encourage you to actually try SoP, but maybe you have my perseverance than I do.
Achievement/Trophy whoring requires sacrifice if nothing else, so... 😓

• Haha
Back
Top Bottom