Premier League 2023/24 Thread

Definitely helps when an investor or owner actually gives a damn about the team. I'm loving Sharon Brittan in Bolton, she came in and learned about the club, took an interest in the club, brought back some of the legends who had shut out by the previous owner and she runs the club as someone who cares about what happens for the fans. So many just don't get it or don't care and it shows. If someone came in with money that knows and gives a damn, that's a win win for everyone in a club
As evidenced by Farhad Moshiri's ownership at Everton

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Half of it was fakery anyway, Usmanov was the one with the real money but he couldn't disentangle himself from Arsenal in time to buy us.

Which thank fuck he didn't because he's a Russian oligarch and we'd have been fucked even worse than what Farhad did
Yeah, that's a really tough one to get stuck with, and had you had the oligarch too, eek!! I hope the takeover comes to fruition soon, it's a bit sad seeing Everton declining like this.

Yeah, that's a really tough one to get stuck with, and had you had the oligarch too, eek!! I hope the takeover comes to fruition soon, it's a bit sad seeing Everton declining like this.
I hope the takeover does, but what I have heard about the new buyers doesn't give me much faith in us operating in a more "above board" fashion.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
I hope the takeover does, but what I have heard about the new buyers doesn't give me much faith in us operating in a more "above board" fashion.
Well that's not good, either. Hopefully that turns out to be untrue and you don't end up with the next Bassini, Boccetti, Ken Anderson, Oyston, etc. So many examples of horrible owners.

Well that's not good, either. Hopefully that turns out to be untrue and you don't end up with the next Bassini, Boccetti, Ken Anderson, Oyston, etc. So many examples of horrible owners.
I remember the days of thinking Bill Kenwright was bad for us, and while he certainly couldn't take us to the top of the PL I do miss those days

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
As long as we can stay in the PL this year that's a start,
I'm hoping you do, Everton's a team just screams Premier League, it'd be a real disservice to the PL if they went down.
still can't believe we have a 10 point deduction but City has championships
This bugs the hell out of me. How did they escape punishment but Everton got a deduction? Punish the two Manchester teams, damnit!

I'm hoping you do, Everton's a team just screams Premier League, it'd be a real disservice to the PL if they went down.

This bugs the hell out of me. How did they escape punishment but Everton got a deduction? Punish the two Manchester teams, damnit!
Because they didn't co-operate/plead guilty under investigation. Everton offered open books and admitted wrong doing of a more minor nature but got punished the same way they would have anyway.

I understand that if Everton had finished even as high as 10th on of those seasons in question they would have been seen as meeting financial fair play regulations... Absurd. I'd love to see the full calculations of what is and isn't included because it seems to be wrong

Like LeBron's ownership stake in Liverpool
Oh God, LeBum has an ownership stake in my beloved Reds?
how i met your mother GIF

Lol that's absurd. Make as much money as you can as long as you can in that industry.

No team is loyal to the players so I have no issue with every player making as much legal money as they can. Preferably morally right too.
I know that there's no such thing as loyalty in pro sports, I got that; I just wish he'd been upfront about it instead of making a big show of it. If he'd just said, "I'm going to Miami 'cause they're paying me more to play there than in Cleveland," the fans might've hated him for it but at least he'd've been honest about it.

Regardless of anything else that happens this year, here's your number one story....
Liverpool manager Jurgen Klopp is to step down from the role at the end of the season, saying he is "running out of energy".

Klopp was appointed in October 2015 and his contract was due to run until 2026. He won the Champions League in 2019 before leading Liverpool to their first league title in 30 years in 2019-20.

"I told the club already in November," said 56-year-old Klopp, who has announced his decision with his side top of the Premier League. "I can understand that it's a shock for a lot of people in this moment, when you hear it for the first time, but obviously I can explain it - or at least try to explain it.

"I love absolutely everything about this club, I love everything about the city, I love everything about our supporters, I love the team, I love the staff. I love everything. But that I still take this decision shows you that I am convinced it is the one I have to take. It is that I am, how can I say it, running out of energy. I have no problem now, obviously, I knew it already for longer that I will have to announce it at one point, but I am absolutely fine now. I know that I cannot do the job again and again and again and again."

Friel

Dangerously under-medicated.
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Didn't see that one coming yesterday. That's gonna be a tough replacement to make, very similar to Moyes coming after Fergie. Klopp leaves Liverpool in a better state than Fergie left Utd though so they may be OK.

I think Alonso should be their manager after their next manager. Let him do his thing at Leverkusen for another few seasons.

De Zerbi is the man for the job IMO.

Friel

Dangerously under-medicated.
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
With the talent we have on the Red side of Liverpool, we'll be fine.
Hey, we did beat those billion-dollar fucks from Chelsea for the League Cup today!

2024-02-25T181148Z_1088075127_UP1EK2P1EJNOT_RTRMADP_3_SOCCER-ENGLAND-CHE-LIV-REPORT.JPG
That's true but Chelsea are absolutely awful.

Back
Top Bottom