• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Breaking Joe Biden drops out of 2024 presidential race

Right now, I think momentum will continue to favor Harris at least for a little while. The Republicans have already had their convention and their VP pick, both of those things are still ahead for the Democrats. There is nothing left for the Republicans over the next few months except for constant damage control.
And dodging debates.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/03/us/politics/trump-harris-debate-fox-news.html

Former President Donald J. Trump said late Friday that he agreed with Fox News to debate Vice President Kamala Harris on Sept. 4, a proposal that has not yet been accepted by the Harris campaign. If it happens, it would be the second presidential debate this election cycle and the first between Mr. Trump and the new Democratic candidate.
According to Mr. Trump's post on his social media site, Truth Social, the debate would take place at a to-be-determined location in Pennsylvania, one of the most consequential battleground states. Fox News anchors Bret Baier and Martha MacCallum would moderate.
It was unclear early Saturday whether Ms. Harris had agreed to the debate and its terms. Representatives of her campaign did not respond to requests for comment. A spokeswoman for Fox News also did not respond to questions.
Mr. Trump said that the Fox News debate would have a live audience; the previous debate between President Biden and Mr. Trump was hosted by CNN in an empty venue. Though both campaigns agreed to the format of the first debate, Mr. Trump had bemoaned the lack of a crowd.
Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

He further added the rules would be similar to the CNN debate, though he did not specify which rules. That debate had included mic cuts to prevent interruption.
Mr. Trump also said that he is "totally prepared to accept" Ms. Harris as the Democrats' new candidate. Since her campaign suddenly took shape after Mr. Biden dropped out of the race about two weeks ago, Mr. Trump has characterized her ascendancy as a "coup" within the Democratic Party. In his debate announcement, the former president complained about the shake-up.
"I spent Hundreds of Millions of Dollars, Time, and Effort fighting Joe, and when I won the Debate, they threw a new Candidate into the ring," Mr. Trump said on his social media site on Friday, adding that he hoped to tie Ms. Harris to Mr. Biden's policies.
The Sept. 4 date is close to the start of some states' early voting windows and long after Ms. Harris presumably would have clinched the nomination from her party. (She is expected to secure the nomination once the Democrats' virtual roll call vote concludes on Monday.)
The first presidential debate between Mr. Biden and Mr. Trump, on June 27, was among the most consequential presidential debates in history, according to experts. Mr. Biden gave a halting performance that contrasted strongly with Mr. Trump, who spoke vigorously while repeatedly advancing falsehoods.
Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT

Mr. Biden's garbled responses supercharged concerns among his Democratic colleagues about his age and health, as well as his ability to beat Mr. Trump in the general election. After several weeks of declining poll numbers and mounting pressure from key allies, Mr. Biden announced on July 21 that he would withdraw from the race.
Since then, Ms. Harris has challenged Mr. Trump to debate her and criticized his reluctance to commit to a date. As recently as Friday morning, in an interview with Fox Business, he was refusing to say whether he would debate Ms. Harris.
When Mr. Biden was still in the race, Mr. Trump had agreed to a second debate on Sept. 10 hosted by ABC. (The former president also filed a lawsuit, which is moving forward, against the network for defamation.) After the president dropped out, Ms. Harris said she would be willing to debate in Mr. Biden's place, but Mr. Trump was noncommittal.
"Well Donald, I do hope you'll reconsider to meet me on the debate stage," Ms. Harris said at her rally in Atlanta on Tuesday. "Because as the saying goes, 'If you've got something to say, say it to my face.'"

Kamala is more capable of fact checking him in real time than Biden was.
I had a similar thought, that she could probably do some fact-checking on her own. Still not as good as it coming from the moderators though, it could just come across as arguing and Trump will try to bring it down to that level.

https://www.cnn.com/2024/08/03/politics/kamala-harris-donald-trump-debate/index.html

CNN —

Vice President Kamala Harris is planning to show up for the previously agreed-upon debate set for September 10 on ABC – even if Donald Trump does not, a source familiar with the matter tells CNN.

The source says their understanding is ABC News would provide airtime to whichever candidate showed up – even if that ended up being just Harris. ABC News did not respond to CNN's request for comment.

Trump said late Friday he had agreed to participate in a debate hosted by Fox News on September 4 and would no longer participate in the ABC debate as he had agreed to do when President Joe Biden was the presumptive Democratic nominee.

Vice President Kamala Harris walks to her motorcade at the White House in Washington, DC, on July 30, 2024.

Related article Inside the final days of Kamala Harris' vice presidential decision

Saturday morning, Harris campaign communications director Michael Tyler said in a statement that Trump needs to "stop playing games" with the presidential debate.

"Donald Trump is running scared and trying to back out of the debate he already agreed to and running straight to Fox News to bail him out," Tyler said. "He needs to stop playing games and show up to the debate he already committed to on Sept 10. The vice president will be there one way or the other to take the opportunity to speak to a prime time national audience."

Tyler said the Harris team would be "happy to discuss further debates after the one both campaigns have already agreed to."

"Mr. Anytime, anywhere, anyplace should have no problem with that unless he's too scared to show up on the 10th," Tyler added.

Well there's that. lol

Note his Fox debate is BEFORE the previous agreed one on the 10th. This is so Trump can claim Harris is ducking him in a debate when she doesn't show to the... expected incredibly biased Fox debate.

Sorry, but I'm not going to participate in a debate with a company that was sued and lost over 700 million in a defamation suit for willfully peddling the lies of the same man who is trying to press for a debate with them either.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Note his Fox debate is BEFORE the previous agreed one on the 10th. This is so Trump can claim Harris is ducking him in a debate when she doesn't show to the... expected incredibly biased Fox debate.

Sorry, but I'm not going to participate in a debate with a company that was sued and lost over 700 million in a defamation suit for willfully peddling the lies of the same man who is trying to press for a debate with them either.

Plot twist… she mops the floor with him on Fox.

At the rate this is going, and the frequency of the back and forth, I would not be shocked to see such a curveball.

Plot twist… she mops the floor with him on Fox.

At the rate this is going, and the frequency of the back and forth, I would not be shocked to see such a curveball.
The issue is neither Trump or Fox would allow it. The moderators will be biased to Trump (they'll get Ingraham, Watters or Hannity to moderate). The venue will only let in Trump people (since Trump is bragging about there being an audience). And the interruptions and fact checking will be insanely one-sided to go with audience cheers and boos.

There's a reason he's peddling for Fox. You can't walk into a den of frenzied and starving predators and expect them to play nice.

What a crazy few weeks. Went from "Trump is most definitely winning" to "it wouldn't be crazy to see Harris win" to "it's a coin flip that slightly favors Harris" in rapid succession.

She hasn't even gotten the potential bump from naming her VP, and hasn't gotten the definite bump from the DNC happening.

A lot can happen in a few weeks, though, as we've seen these past few weeks.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Just in general. But yes a lot is in response to that.

I've seen it also have some exact opposite effect from what he wanted. With some vets saying things like "he served for 24 years and retired, you sat at a desk while the rest of us were doing the real work"
I remember when the 2016 election was going on, and an old white lady I used to work with in real estate shared a post with a picture of young Trump and Young Sanders side by side, with Trump in military uniform and Sanders being arrested and it said something to the effect of "choose which one of these you'd rather see as president".

To which I commented "on the left is Trump in military school, not the military itself, and he dodged the draft when it came time to actually serve. On the right Bernie is being arrested at a civil rights protest where he handcuffed himself to the black woman you're seeing on the ground."

We didn't stay Facebook friends for very long after that.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Yeah, going after a guy who admitted his mistake, paid his fine and has been sober for 10 years is going to foil the 34 felony convictions and notorious evader of taxes of their nominee is going to work out brilliantly I think.

That’s not to say that after 10 years he can’t fall back into it… but as someone that passed my 10 year mark a couple years ago myself, that shit was a whole lifetime ago. Having gone through it, I have a sense of discipline and restraint that I wouldn’t have dreamed of prior. With that said, I’d trust a former drunk that has been off of the sauce for over a decade sooner than some of the alternatives.

To their credit, they do eventually mention at the very end of the article that he stopped drinking. After coming up with quotes about how he was crazy and thought somebody was after him and stuff like that. And how many people read past the headline anyway?

Oh, so you mean they loophole’d themselves out of a political hit piece?

They only admire vets when it suits them. I mean they're currently idolizing a man who referred to McCain as a "loser" because of his capture as a POW.

I never agreed with that position Trump took… you can tell a lot about a guy when he speaks on a subject he has no first-hand knowledge about. Very few POW’s became that way because of their own recklessness or negligence, and to call McCain out as if he would have done a better job and somehow not been captured is just stupid.

• Respect
Reactions: Jon
Apparently Trump announce that he now agrees to do the debate at ABC on September 10.
Girl Smile GIF

Rachel

No Problem Here
GW Elder
did anyone see any of Trump's press conference at Mar-A-Lago today?

I have a question: is this the worst modern presidential campaign?

What is he doing? Genuinely. He is ranting about crowd size again and his greatest hits. He's not "campaigning." He's going to ruby red Montana. He's saying there is movement within the Biden camp to bring Biden back. He kept saying he couldn't hear what the reporters were asking and asked them to repeat the questions. He's having Vance follow the Harris camp. He was called a coward by his OWN SOCIAL MEDIA NETWORK IN THE TRENDING TOPICS. HE PRAISED XI JINPING AGAIN

Trump's camp is saying things will pick up after the Dem convention. Somehow I doubt that.

Rachel

No Problem Here
GW Elder
oh yeah, I completely forgot to comment. How the hell is RFK Jr polling 6%? Who are these people? Lost Trumpers? Anyone keeping up with any of that side? Because holy shit. When I asked that question I guess I forgot about RFK because that might, MIGHT be the one campaign worse than Trump.

oh yeah, I completely forgot to comment. How the hell is RFK Jr polling 6%? Who are these people? Lost Trumpers? Anyone keeping up with any of that side? Because holy shit. When I asked that question I guess I forgot about RFK because that might, MIGHT be the one campaign worse than Trump.
I posted a John Oliver video in the presidential meme thread. It's about 30 minutes long and satire overall, but it explains his run very well and why some people are following him.

Going to Montana isn't entirely meaningless overall, there's an important Senate race there. But Trump doesn't care about down ballot.

But yeah they have next to no field offices in a lot of important states (PA and GA included) and apparently ads have vanished in a lot of places as well.
That’s because the campaign is mostly to raise money for his pockets. Field offices and ads take that away

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Going to Montana isn't entirely meaningless overall, there's an important Senate race there. But Trump doesn't care about down ballot.

But yeah they have next to no field offices in a lot of important states (PA and GA included) and apparently ads have vanished in a lot of places as well.

We get a mix of advertising for western Maryland and southern Pennsylvania since we’re this close to the PA line:

IMG_8827.jpeg

For what it’s worth, the last time I had on the television, which was sometime yesterday, we were still seeing ads for both candidate.

We get a mix of advertising for western Maryland and southern Pennsylvania since we’re this close to the PA line:

View attachment 19080

For what it’s worth, the last time I had on the television, which was sometime yesterday, we were still seeing ads for both candidate.
I thought you were dodging bullets in Baltimore, not chilling in Trumptown USA.

Back
Top Bottom