Japan-only gems

I'm heading to Japan soon and I was thinking of maybe picking up a game or two while I'm there. I don't want to pick up just any old Japanese game just for the sake of getting one. Specifically I'm looking for something worthwhile that's:
  • Completely unavailable in the west
  • Worth playing
  • Doesn't require any knowledge of Japanese to play
So like, Pokemon TCG 2 would be great, but it doesn't meet the 3rd criterion.

I'm thinking of picking up Otogi Katsugeki etc. because it doesn't seem text-heavy, it doesn't seem like it will ever have a translation, and it looks fun as hell.

Are there any other games you can think of that meet this criteria? Any system you can think of.

No Saturn or Dreamcast unfortunately :(
Sad Penguin GIF by Pudgy Penguins

You could still pick them up for a collection to show off

I also recommend really any game you want to own but its too expensive in English. You can get some classic jrpgs for pretty cheap compared to what they would cost you in English
Maybe, but Super Tempo is... $450 loose? I couldn't justify a pricetag that high for a game I can't even play -- especially when Sega Saturn games are notorious for disc rot

@Crystal @Fool's Requiem
Convince me to buy a Sega Saturn
The fact that you want convincing shows you're already teetering on the edge of doing so. Factor in amazing games like Shining the Holy Ark, Guardian Heroes, Albert Odyssey, Vandal Hearts and so many more...it's a great, super underrated console. It had a limited life in North America, but in Japan they released games for several years, so many titles to look for, and lots of hidden gems.

Downside -- the North American releases are PRICEY! You can find better deals on the Japanese versions, but even there exclusives games like Radiant Silvergun and Super Tempo are super expensive. It's a worthwhile console with some awesome releases, the North American library is only 155 games, so it's an easy one to collect for...but it is pricey.

I've picked up a few games so far, but haven't been able to find anything big. Lots of Sega Saturns for sale... Might pick one up if I can't find a good Twin Famicom. I found one but it was broken. Probably just the belt, but it was the same price as buying a fixed one on eBay, so eh. I have a few more places to check out first before I commit to anything.

I impulse bought a Sega Saturn. Need JP only recommendations. I'll look out for Super Tempo
Welcome board :)

As for recommendations, the most obvious is Radiant Silvergun, but...that's extremely expensive. Some others:

-Tryrush Deppy
-Silhouette Mirage
-Shadows of the Tusk
-Bomberman Wars
and many, many more, but these are the key ones I would focus on. There's a list here for games from least to most difficult to play without knowing Japanese. I don't know how fluent you are, but this guide can be useful: https://segasaturngroup.proboards.com/thread/5796/

Welcome board :)

As for recommendations, the most obvious is Radiant Silvergun, but...that's extremely expensive. Some others:

-Tryrush Deppy
-Silhouette Mirage
-Shadows of the Tusk
-Bomberman Wars
and many, many more, but these are the key ones I would focus on. There's a list here for games from least to most difficult to play without knowing Japanese. I don't know how fluent you are, but this guide can be useful: https://segasaturngroup.proboards.com/thread/5796/
Crystal I swear, you are going to single-handedly forge my Sega Saturn collection 😂

Bought my first Saturn game today -- Dragon Force 2.

Almost got XMen vs Street Fighter and Outrun as well, but the X-Men disc was looking HAGGARD and the Outrun disc gave me a slight pause. Later found out Outrun was released in the US on a Saturn collection disc, so that would be even better.

I'll take pics of the stuff I picked up while I was here when I get back.

when in doubt, get the Japanese version. They'll almost always be cheaper. Even Panzer Dragoon Saga. You just need to be fine with not understanding dialogue. Not much of an issue when playing 2D fighting games. Menus are in English. I have the Japan import of Panzer Dragoon Zwei and I can't understand a single word of dialogue, so I can't follow the story.
I feel like RPGs are the one time you need to be able to read, no? I'm mostly planning on getting Japan-only releases while I'm here. Saturn games be fuckin expensive, yo.

So, today is my last day in Japan and I MAY have spent way too much fuggin money on games. Next credit card bill is going to be an absolute doozy.

Wouldn't be so bad if you lot hasn't convinced me to buy a Sega Saturn 😂 I'm holding you two personally accountable, @Crystal and @Fool's Requiem

But I AM a bit excited to share my finds :D

Reactions: Ben
So, today is my last day in Japan and I MAY have spent way too much fuggin money on games. Next credit card bill is going to be an absolute doozy.

Wouldn't be so bad if you lot hasn't convinced me to buy a Sega Saturn 😂 I'm holding you two personally accountable, @Crystal and @Fool's Requiem

But I AM a bit excited to share my finds :D
innocent futurama GIF

Hey, you're on holiday, you've gotta' spend :D. Anyway, I'm so broke I've gotta' spend vicariously through others these days anyway, so...you're welcome :p

Back