Resolved Is there an auto rotate setting for the forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
TD

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I have it off on my phone but the GWF app always auto rotates.

Get Me Out Help GIF by Pudgy Penguins

Solution
Ok, so the actual issue is in the latest xenForo update they introduced a line to the webmanifest.php file:

"orientation": "any"

This (on some android setups) actually overrides your device setting.

I have installed the patch, but what you might need to do is load the file directly: https://gwforums.com/webmanifest.php

If that line still appears, force a refresh (it should disappear) - then remove and redownload the app.
What OS are you using? Android, Apple?

For my GWF app on Android, it doesn't auto-rotate with that turned off for the system. I'd have to manually rotate it from the tray.

1000003993.jpg

But, I also normally just have a tab open in the actual Firefox app, so... 🤷🏻‍♂️

Reactions: TD
Ok, so the actual issue is in the latest xenForo update they introduced a line to the webmanifest.php file:

I have installed the patch, but what you might need to do is load the file directly: https://gwforums.com/webmanifest.php

If that line still appears, force a refresh (it should disappear) - then remove and redownload the app.

Solution

I don't get it.

How do I fix this?

Sorry.

1) click the link in my post

2) check for this line of text on the page that loads: "orientation": "any"

3) if it is there, do a force refresh (CTRL + F5) and verify it goes away (removing it from your cache).

4) Delete the app

5) Download the app again

• Hmm
1) click the link in my post

2) check for this line of text on the page that loads: "orientation": "any"

3) if it is there, do a force refresh (CTRL + F5) and verify it goes away (removing it from your cache).

4) Delete the app

5) Download the app again

You *might* also need to clear your cache manually, @TD . I’ve noticed a force refresh on mobile doesn’t always cut it for these kinds of issues.

• Wut?
Then you cant CTRL + F5. If you click the link and refresh the page, that might be enough. If not, you will have to clear your device cache. I don't use android so I won't be much use there.

If that doesn’t work, you might have a carrier-based default browser that *might* need the same thing done, but they’re typically arranged similarly.

https://gwforums.com/webmanifest.php can you visit here and post the contents of the displayed file please?
{
"name": "GWForums",
"short_name": "GWF",
"description": "For the members of GameWinners.com",
"icons": [
{
"src": "\/data\/assets\/logo\/GWF192.png",
"sizes": "192x192",
"purpose": "any"
},
{
"src": "\/data\/assets\/logo\/GWF512.png",
"sizes": "512x512",
"purpose": "any"
}
],
"lang": "en-US",
"dir": "ltr",
"orientation": "any",
"display": "standalone",
"scope": "\/",
"id": "\/?_pwa=1",
"start_url": "\/?_pwa=2du86noD0pockiX3qvNT3HSK8qRFgWds",
"background_color": "#fff",
"theme_color": "#022a50"
}

I don't have android but google seems to think this might work:

Clear Cache for Specific Sites on Chrome Android

If you're only facing problems on a specific website, Google Chrome allows you to delete caches within the particular site. Here is a step-by-step guide on how to do so.

1. Open up your Chrome App.
  2. Click on the Settings option.
  3. Under the Advanced section, tap on Site Settings.
    Site Settings Chrome Android
  4. Tap on Storage or Data Stored, depending upon on your device.
  5. Locate or search for the website you want to delete the cache for.
  6. Click on the Clear and Reset button.

It is the "Cookies and site data" and "Cached images and files," options which are needed to remove the local manifest file. I'm not sure just clearing the browsing history would trigger a new request for this file from the server.

Like I say though, I don't use android, so it might.

It is the "Cookies and site data" and "Cached images and files," options which are needed to remove the local manifest file. I'm not sure just clearing the browsing history would trigger a new request for this file from the server.

Like I say though, I don't use android, so it might.
I officially bequeath unto you the rank of XF Wizard. A title befitting your genius :D

• Agree
Reactions: Ben
I didn't see his instructions. Just tried it, with no success.

Since clearing the cache logged me out, I tested if it would auto rotate before I logged back in, and it did auto rotate while logged out, too.
That's disappointing, I'm not sure why the upgrade suddenly changed this for people, hopefully we can find a way to get it fixed for everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back