• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Heat Dome - June 2024

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
We've had the ACs on all week, haven't turned them off, and my house is so cold. I have to wrap myself up in a blanket at certain points. My wife loves it, so I leave them on.

The difference in my electric bill was $60 this month. Worth it to be cool.

This kinda puts into perspective how high the energy rates are up there. Suddenly it’s not so surprising when my girlfriend tells me about people seeing 40-60% increases month over month.

I do not know what's up with next week... Those are some pretty varied highs/lows...

View attachment 17292

Crack. Mother Nature is on crack. It looks like ours kinda shifted a little, today and tomorrow are set to be the hottest of this stretch.

IMG_8215.jpeg

This kinda puts into perspective how high the energy rates are up there. Suddenly it’s not so surprising when my girlfriend tells me about people seeing 40-60% increases month over month.

I don't think mine are too bad, but I don't know anything other than having electric heat/cooling.

My lowest bill of the year is always October when we don't use the AC or heat, which is around $175 a month. Every other month besides December, January, February and March are around $230-$280. Those winter months usually go $375 > $425 > $500 > $425 > then back to normal. I guess that's a big variance but I build those assumptions into my budget so they don't feel as bad.

I guess after writing it down I just proved your point.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I don't think mine are too bad, but I don't know anything other than having electric heat/cooling.

My lowest bill of the year is always October when we don't use the AC or heat, which is around $175 a month. Every other month besides December, January, February and March are around $230-$280. Those winter months usually go $375 > $425 > $500 > $425 > then back to normal. I guess that's a big variance but I build those assumptions into my budget so they don't feel as bad.

I guess after writing it down I just proved your point.

To your benefit, it doesn’t seem like you have much escaping, though. She has handled calls from people that are in older homes, dating back to the late 1700’s and early 1800’s, that are incurring $1,200/mo utility bills in 3 bedroom SFH’s. Aging sealing and single pane windows are leeches to any climate control system… a singular window might not be too hateful, but adding them all together is devastating to older home owners.

Yeah, we definitely updated. My house is a 1983 so it was already pretty efficient, but we replaced all the windows and when we ripped out the kitchen, put all new insulation in and added insulation to the floorboards underneath the entire house. Our finished basement room is 600 sf and we used all the best materials, so it holds to 60 degrees in the winter even with no heat on.

It's crazy hearing about my family's heating bills. $800 per month in the winter for a 3 bed raised ranch.

Cole

Coleministrator
S-Mod
GW Elder
my house was built in the mid 1800s, everything fucking sucks. we just tore up and replaced the oil heating with baseboards last year. the only "common area" AC is like 10 years old, probably meant for like a single bedroom, and it's basically trying to do an entire first floor

a dip goblin

puppy haver
Sucks
10K Post Club
GW Elder
my house was built in the mid 1800s, everything fucking sucks. we just tore up and replaced the oil heating with baseboards last year. the only "common area" AC is like 10 years old, probably meant for like a single bedroom, and it's basically trying to do an entire first floor
Oof. At least you're off oil. What are you using now for the baseboards? Are they electric or natural gas?

And yeah that AC situation is what we had at our old place before we moved. One AC for the entire apartment. It was fine when I wasn't working from home, but after transitioning to that it became an extremely sweaty worklife over the summer.

Cole

Coleministrator
S-Mod
GW Elder
Oof. At least you're off oil. What are you using now for the baseboards? Are they electric or natural gas?

And yeah that AC situation is what we had at our old place before we moved. One AC for the entire apartment. It was fine when I wasn't working from home, but after transitioning to that it became an extremely sweaty worklife over the summer.
gas throughout the house except for our bedroom. those are electric (that suck horribly) but would've required too much to redo.

a dip goblin

puppy haver
Sucks
10K Post Club
GW Elder
when we were doing the change. we were looking at central air, but they said it would have to be minisplits and that it wouldn't have looked very good and would've cost a ton.
Mini splits add up FAST. You can get over the looks of it at certain points, but how much you need to pay for them...man. Also if you need to go above 4 zones you'll need a second condenser outside, and you're typically going to need every space that can be enclosed (other than bathrooms and basements) to be their own zone. So every bedroom, living/dining/kitchen would need them. A 2 bedroom place with only two rooms between the latter 3 (either an EiK or a living/dining combo) could get by with 4 zones, but add in a third bedroom or have a separate space for each of the three rooms and you're already at a fifth.

My dad and my stepmom did mini-splits as an upgrade from oil last year. They have a 2 bedroom, and their living/kitchen/dining are all small enough and occupying the same space enough to be a single zone, but then they have a furnished basement (that's also where my dad's office is) that needed its own zone as well.

Our place would have needed 5 zones, so it would have been stupidly unreasonable for us to go that route.

Upgrading old houses can really suck.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
plus for some reason, some of our interior walls are concrete. it has made many things a nightmare.

Plaster walls. My mom’s house was like that when my parents bought it in the late 90’s. Probably some of the messiest interior demo work you can get involved with… both time and patience consuming.

Cole

Coleministrator
S-Mod
GW Elder
Plaster walls. My mom’s house was like that when my parents bought it in the late 90’s. Probably some of the messiest interior demo work you can get involved with… both time and patience consuming.
so we were told by people that have gone into the walls were either concrete or cement.

We've had the ACs on all week, haven't turned them off, and my house is so cold. I have to wrap myself up in a blanket at certain points. My wife loves it, so I leave them on.

The difference in my electric bill was $60 this month. Worth it to be cool.
this seems cheap to me, is that the consensus here?

i can sympathise with you @Cole. houses here were built awfully. when it's summer it's cooler outside, when it's winter it's warmer outside.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
so we were told by people that have gone into the walls were either concrete or cement.

Yeah, your home’s builders were making a fortress. No big deal. Unless you wanna… hang a picture, replace wiring, run ventilation, expand a room by knocking down a wall, etc.

Not sure about NZ but compared to Europe pretty much everything is cheaper over there.

Our electricity price is similar to California's which is the second most expensive state (behind Hawaii). Gas is much more too.

Utility rates nationwide are getting pretty crazy… either you’re paying because you live in a large city, or you’re paying because you’re far away from one and the distribution fee is outrageous.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
Today, my A/C decided to die. The fan is still working so I don't think it's the internal 'furnace', but it's not cooling any. The condenser outside isn't running though so I'm guessing that's where the problem is.

We already raised it with building maintenance who said they'd look to see if they had any window units, but fuck that. I dug the old one I used in our least apartment out of the garage and put it into the kids bedroom window, even if my lease says not to use window units. My lease also says it'll come with A/C, so fuck 'em.

I did note that I can't see any of the other condensers for other units running either, which out of the 10 or so I can eyeball from my balcony, seems odd. I'd expect at least someone to have theirs on, so I dunno if those are all on some external circuit serving the whole community and that's where the issue is, or what.

77° outside and 78° inside (downstairs) though, so... 🫠

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Today, my A/C decided to die. The fan is still working so I don't think it's the internal 'furnace', but it's not cooling any. The condenser outside isn't running though so I'm guessing that's where the problem is.

We already raised it with building maintenance who said they'd look to see if they had any window units, but fuck that. I dug the old one I used in our least apartment out of the garage and put it into the kids bedroom window, even if my lease says not to use window units. My lease also says it'll come with A/C, so fuck 'em.

I did note that I can't see any of the other condensers for other units running either, which out of the 10 or so I can eyeball from my balcony, seems odd. I'd expect at least someone to have theirs on, so I dunno if those are all on some external circuit serving the whole community and that's where the issue is, or what.

77° outside and 78° inside (downstairs) though, so... 🫠

If it were just your unit, I’d say thermostat or compressor could be the culprit. All of the units not running? That sounds like management throttling power, think of it a small scale brownout during peak usage times to reduce strain on the local grid.

View attachment 17360

Fun. 100 degree high tomorrow.

Fuck. That.

It says it’s 74 here with a high of 82. The solar panel on the top of my head said otherwise at 7:35a, that morning sun was hot. It does seem like the heat wave is gradually coming to an end for the time being.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
If it were just your unit, I’d say thermostat or compressor could be the culprit. All of the units not running? That sounds like management throttling power, think of it a small scale brownout during peak usage times to reduce strain on the local grid.
I do think I was wrong about none of the others working. The unit right next door was running, so it may just be our system. I checked that there weren't any breakers tripped in my panel, but they're all on and the furnace fans are running.

I'm going to bug maintenance again to make sure they're trying to get an HVAC tech out to look at it, because I'm sure them "putting a ticket in" means jack.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I do think I was wrong about none of the others working. The unit right next door was running, so it may just be our system. I checked that there weren't any breakers tripped in my panel, but they're all on and the furnace fans are running.

I'm going to bug maintenance again to make sure they're trying to get an HVAC tech out to look at it, because I'm sure them "putting a ticket in" means jack.

If they’re anything like any maintenance crew for any complex in the history of ever, you’d be smart to stay on top of them about it. Hell, use medical reasons as leverage. You’re asthmatic, your dog has sleep apnea and the humidity bothers him, something creative like that.

• Agree
Reactions: Ben
That sounds like management throttling power, think of it a small scale brownout during peak usage times to reduce strain on the local grid.
Wait this is a thing? I have noticed in the middle of the night sometimes that my AC feels like it's not running as "good" as usual. Meaning - it seems like it's almost not getting enough power for the condenser to start up, but the fan remains on the entire time. I always cracked this up to be my imagination and thinking my AC is always against me, but after reading your comment, is it possible to throttle the power units receive during extreme load times, that still delivers adequate power to the unit, but not enough for appliances to work at full power? Is that even possible?

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Wait this is a thing? I have noticed in the middle of the night sometimes that my AC feels like it's not running as "good" as usual. Meaning - it seems like it's almost not getting enough power for the condenser to start up, but the fan remains on the entire time. I always cracked this up to be my imagination and thinking my AC is always against me, but after reading your comment, is it possible to throttle the power units receive during extreme load times, that still delivers adequate power to the unit, but not enough for appliances to work at full power? Is that even possible?

This is absolutely a thing, dude. I would be very shocked if a city as big as NYC didn’t utilize a program like the one we just left behind in Baltimore.

Essentially, “smart” meters and thermostats offered by utility companies can be managed by the utility remotely, which means when everyone is running their AC… they can throttle how much the compressor kicks on or even directly change your thermostat during peak usage hours.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
Maintenance came by to look at the A/C. They couldn't work out what was wrong, even after replacing a capacitor outside and pulling the thermostat off my wall so they could twist two wires together like a teenager jump-starting a Honda. They said they were going to try to get another part, and if that didn't work they'd call out the vendor.

They also weren't sure if they had any stand-alone units to hook up to the window left, but they'd check. I'm probably just boned until they arrange for an actual technician to come out and look at it. 🙃

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Maintenance came by to look at the A/C. They couldn't work out what was wrong, even after replacing a capacitor outside and pulling the thermostat off my wall so they could twist two wires together like a teenager jump-starting a Honda. They said they were going to try to get another part, and if that didn't work they'd call out the vendor.

They also weren't sure if they had any stand-alone units to hook up to the window left, but they'd check. I'm probably just boned until they arrange for an actual technician to come out and look at it. 🙃

That sounds to me like the next step is gonna be replacing the board on it, they tend to fry from what I’ve seen and heard. Depending on the age of the system, they might swap it out completely.

Don't worry, I'm sure it will be installed just in time for the weather to turn cool again!

“At such and such Condos, we value our residents and promise that in the event of a mechanical failure, that a support ticket will be responded to in a timely manner so that we can advance it to the the maintenance desk so that they can forward it to the superintendent so that he can enter it into the system so that the foreman can submit a work ticket to the crew supervisor so that he can push the notification to the technician so he can get the helpers to pull the necessary parts so that they can promptly make the necessary repairs. Go fuck yourself, and have a nice day. Oh, and by the way, rent is increasing 33% next month.”

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
You ever open a pre-heated oven and just stand in front of it as the hot air hits your face? That's what it feels like outside right now.

Last time it was like that here a couple years ago, I swore I was gonna have a heat stroke. Even after I went inside, it took forever to get hydrated and I felt like death for a few hours afterwards.

Um... how much they make you pay for that? I was seeing a lot of YT vids claiming that HVAC techs were charging people hundreds to do a simple replacement.

He’s a tenant, so he pays exorbitant rent for that service most likely. You’re not wrong, though. I watched a guy snap a couple wires together and hand me a bill for a few hundred. Went online and priced the exact same part and proceeded to kick myself in the ass.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
Um... how much they make you pay for that? I was seeing a lot of YT vids claiming that HVAC techs were charging people hundreds to do a simple replacement.
Snoop Dogg Idk GIF by NBC

That's probably the one benefit to being stuck in a townhouse, how much it costs them to fix it isn't my fucking problem. Nor is the service cost for a tech to come out.

That sounds to me like the next step is gonna be replacing the board on it, they tend to fry from what I’ve seen and heard. Depending on the age of the system, they might swap it out completely.
Probably. I know they pulled apart the furnace inside and probably checked all the relays/actuators and stuff. It definitely isn't new, and when I complained to them last time about the amoutn of dust in it from when we moved in, the service they sent out said it wasn't even the kind of system they could hook up to to vacuum all that shit out.

“At such and such Condos, we value our residents and promise that in the event of a mechanical failure, that a support ticket will be responded to in a timely manner so that we can advance it to the the maintenance desk so that they can forward it to the superintendent so that he can enter it into the system so that the foreman can submit a work ticket to the crew supervisor so that he can push the notification to the technician so he can get the helpers to pull the necessary parts so that they can promptly make the necessary repairs. Go fuck yourself, and have a nice day. Oh, and by the way, rent is increasing 33% next month.”
Yeah, basically. Last few times I put in a service ticket, it took probably a month for them to pull their thumbs out. I just very clearly asked "You are going to do something about this now, right?" when I called the office this morning, which I guess worked enough. I'm at least more inclined to believe that they won't languish on it this time. :shrug

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Probably. I know they pulled apart the furnace inside and probably checked all the relays/actuators and stuff. It definitely isn't new, and when I complained to them last time about the amoutn of dust in it from when we moved in, the service they sent out said it wasn't even the kind of system they could hook up to to vacuum all that shit out.

Oh? It isn’t? Then they can BLOW the shit out of it if it’s one of those slim units with only a panel or two they can pop off. Those outside units can be cleaned fairly easy, the inside components take a little more effort, but it’s still doable.

Yeah, basically. Last few times I put in a service ticket, it took probably a month for them to pull their thumbs out. I just very clearly asked "You are going to do something about this now, right?" when I called the office this morning, which I guess worked enough. I'm at least more inclined to believe that they won't languish on it this time. :shrug

In my experience, reaching out directly to the leasing office tends to expedite these kind of issues. Eventually, they get tired of seeing your number pop up on caller ID or your mug walking through their door. Persistence is key, they owe YOU services, you pay your rent.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
Oh? It isn’t? Then they can BLOW the shit out of it if it’s one of those slim units with only a panel or two they can pop off. Those outside units can be cleaned fairly easy, the inside components take a little more effort, but it’s still doable.
I admit, I didn't try yelling "then blow me" at the tech...

... Next time.

In my experience, reaching out directly to the leasing office tends to expedite these kind of issues. Eventually, they get tired of seeing your number pop up on caller ID or your mug walking through their door. Persistence is key, they owe YOU services, you pay your rent.
Basically. I try not to be annoying and will certainly ignore my own needs just to not have to talk to someone, but when it's my kid's/wife's comfort, I'll put on the stern English voice.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I admit, I didn't try yelling "then blow me" at the tech...

... Next time.

We expect a video. Not one of those dumbass TikTok ones either, we want 4k Dolby Atmos IMAX style video of you telling the techs to blow it if they can’t suck it.

Basically. I try not to be annoying and will certainly ignore my own needs just to not have to talk to someone, but when it's my kid's/wife's comfort, I'll put on the stern English voice.

Yeah, I got you, you don’t wanna be *that* tenant that’s always stirring up shit, but maintenance isn’t typically going to give a shit unless they’re pressed to. I’ve known a lot of guys that did maintenance, and I spent a few months helping a friend out with their 12 unit property. I can tell you that even with an independently owned property, it’s very easy for stuff to slip through the cracks. Those corporate entities that own property all over your state? They’re worse… because they just behave apathetically towards tenants. If you don’t like it, you’ll leave, and they’ll jack the rent up for the next tenant after doing the repairs you bitched about after you move out.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
We expect a video. Not one of those dumbass TikTok ones either, we want 4k Dolby Atmos IMAX style video of you telling the techs to blow it if they can’t suck it.
You'll receive my THX DeepNote and like it, sir.

scared season 5 GIF

Yeah, I got you, you don’t wanna be *that* tenant that’s always stirring up shit, but maintenance isn’t typically going to give a shit unless they’re pressed to. I’ve known a lot of guys that did maintenance, and I spent a few months helping a friend out with their 12 unit property. I can tell you that even with an independently owned property, it’s very easy for stuff to slip through the cracks. Those corporate entities that own property all over your state? They’re worse… because they just behave apathetically towards tenants. If you don’t like it, you’ll leave, and they’ll jack the rent up for the next tenant after doing the repairs you bitched about after you move out.
Such is America, and probably everywhere else too. They gotta charge you out the asshole so you can't afford to save to get a real house..!

Back
Top Bottom