U.S.A. What are your expectations for the upcoming presidential election?

Yeaaah, but, without diving into the whole Covid thing… we all were fed a lot of conflicting information all across the board. That’s why I’m so quick to say it didn’t matter who was president at the time, because nobody else seemed to have all the answers at the time either. We couldn’t solely rely on the opinion or decision of a single individual, president or not.

There was literally a pandemic playbook made by Obama that Trump through out, he also sewed the distrust in scientists. This "business expert" couldnt even see how much money he could have made off of MAGA and Trump masks

That’s probably why he’s fighting so hard, because if there are art students getting their loans forgiven and not civil engineers or doctors, then we’ve got a problem of pandering going on here… since a good chunk of art students are going to be liberally-minded and democrat voters.

Why do you think it is only art students getting their loans forgiven and not doctors or engineers? More people who go to college tend to be more liberally minded then those who dont.

It also would help the economy as that is more money these students can spend instead of paying back on loans.

We should be like pretty much ever other first world country and have affordable if not free higher education (same with healthcare)

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
There was literally a pandemic playbook made by Obama that Trump through out, he also sewed the distrust in scientists. This "business expert" couldnt even see how much money he could have made off of MAGA and Trump masks

I’m sorry, but I wouldn’t trust any president’s take on a pandemic, they’re getting second and third hand information just like us. There have been protocols for pandemics in the past, but aside from the Spanish flu, what else was comparable aside from other communicable diseases like smallpox or polio? That also doesn’t touch on any of the details that both sides of the aisle got wrong about the pandemic, either. That’s why I think there would have been differences, but the overall outcome would have been only slightly different with a different president.

Why do you think it is only art students getting their loans forgiven and not doctors or engineers? More people who go to college tend to be more liberally minded than those who dont.

I don’t. I was saying if we were forgiving those types of loans and not for engineers or doctors, then the whole student loan forgiveness thing would be a problem, because at that point… you’re not looking out for the future of the country as a president.

It also would help the economy as that is more money these students can spend instead of paying back on loans.

While that’s not wrong, there are many other ways to stimulate the economy. One of which is to stop corporate price-gouging, but we’re not gonna do that because too many people in Washington benefit off of those higher prices.

We should be like pretty much ever other first world country and have affordable if not free higher education (same with healthcare)

Yeah, but in order to do that, we’d first need a government that wasn’t entirely self-serving.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I haven't read this thread since I last posted. I just came in here to say I've been thinking a lot about what @Rachel said about conservatives feeling threatened by uncertainty. I've been looking at political issues from that perspective since then and, it is starting to make things make a lot of sense.

Many liberals like to chant "the cruelty is the point" in response to a lot of Republican policies. It is fair to say a lot of what Republicans do is harmful and surely feels cruel to many of those it affects, but I've never believed half of our country is being intentionally cruel. Surely we've all had conservative friends or family who are generally kind yet still support nonsense that only hurts people, right? I've often wondered why and have been trying to reconcile it. Perhaps this is the answer.

Some people might say they don't care why people are being harmful, but if you want to convince them to support your policies instead, you better learn how to convince them. That requires understanding their motivations.

One thing I'm still pondering is how this leads to them supporting Trump. That guy is a complete wild card. It's hard to fathom why anybody bothered by general chaos and uncertainty would support him.

...I may be in the wrong thread because I can't find that post now, so apologies if I'm derailing things here.

One thing I'm still pondering is how this leads to them supporting Trump. That guy is a complete wild card. It's hard to fathom why anybody bothered by general chaos and uncertainty would support him.
These are generally more rural dwellers who have been living in conditions that are getting shittier and shittier year by year. They’re lashing out at the people they think are responsible. They just want to own the libs.

Back
Top Bottom