Campaign Lost Mines of Phandelver (Chapter 1)

Status
Not open for further replies.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
As the adventurers prepare to confront Klarg in what they believe to be the final chamber of their journey through the cave, they each draw upon their unique abilities and strengths to strategize their approach. Understanding the importance of leveraging every advantage they have, the party splits their efforts to ensure they are as prepared as possible for the confrontation ahead.

Dragmire, tapping into his arcane knowledge, casts the spell Unseen Servant. With a whisper of incantation and a gesture, he summons an invisible, magical entity and instructs it to set a trap on the rope bridge leading to Klarg's chamber.

Meanwhile, Kutshort decides to use the unique capabilities of his magical wooden legs to gain a positional advantage. He approaches the chimney that they've identified as a potential alternate route into Klarg's chamber. With a concentration, tiny roots sprout from his legs, allowing him to adhere to the surfaces and climb with the agility of a spider. His plan is to enter the chamber from below, catching Klarg and any of his minions by surprise with an assault that they would not anticipate, as well as blocking this possible escape route.

T'anks and Tortle Dude, understanding the importance of a direct challenge and the need to confront Klarg head-on, take the most straightforward approach. They position themselves at the entrance to Klarg's chamber, ready to walk right in the front door. And walk in they do...
~~~~~

The party frantically tosses out ideas, the seconds ticking and their confrontation with Klarg looming large. It's decided that T'anks will be allowed to attempt to sway Klarg and pull him back from his destructive path, with Dude in tow. Most of the others will wait near the water trap, hoping to use that to their advantage if needed - or merely prevent Klarg from using it, if things get out of hand.

Resolved, she nods to Dude and they set off.

T'anks calls out to Klarg as she enters the stairwell leading into his chamber.
Klarg? Klarg, it's me. We need to talk.

As T'anks and Tortle Dude boldly enter the chamber, the tension in the air is palpable. The dimly lit room, the heart of Klarg's domain, suddenly feels charged with an emotional intensity far different from the battles that have led them here. At T'anks's call, Klarg, the formidable bugbear leader who had been lying in wait for an ambush, emerges from the shadows, his surprise attack forgotten in the wake of his shock at hearing T'anks's voice.

1708900226259.png

Klarg's reaction upon seeing T'anks is a complex mix of emotions—anger, betrayal, and a hurt that goes beyond the mere loss of a comrade-in-arms. "T'anks... you left me, left us," he accuses, his voice a growl that resonates with a deep, personal sense of abandonment. "You chose to walk away from everything we had, from the tribe that needed you. And for what? Him?! A MAN TURTLE?!" Klarg's eyes dart suspiciously towards Tortle Dude, misinterpreting the nature of their relationship and letting his jealousy flare...

Tortle Dude

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
Dude - being as astute at observation as he is has an impeccable ability to pick up even the most subtle social cues thinks better than to open his mouth at this point. This is devil's chance to speak, they have their deal. Dude proves he can hold his composure in tense situations, showing no expression on his face and remaining ever so stoic.

T'anks Kiraine

Chief Liquid Officer, Shitposting Dept.
Klarg's reaction upon seeing T'anks is a complex mix of emotions—anger, betrayal, and a hurt that goes beyond the mere loss of a comrade-in-arms. "T'anks... you left me, left us," he accuses, his voice a growl that resonates with a deep, personal sense of abandonment. "You chose to walk away from everything we had, from the tribe that needed you. And for what? Him?! A MAN TURTLE?!" Klarg's eyes dart suspiciously towards Tortle Dude, misinterpreting the nature of their relationship and letting his jealousy flare...
T'anks's eyes narrow, all too familiar with the brash nature of the intimidating Bugbear. She knew he would not take kindly to the presence of another, but there was no alternative.

And what of you, Klarg?! You've allowed your ear to be bent, your mind to be twisted by outsiders. You stand here physically, but long since has your mind - your heart - gone elsewhere!

The others have begun conspiring behind your back! They mean to undermine you, depose you, kill you.
She motions to Dude, standing stoically nearby. That is why this "Man Turtle" stands before you. But he is noble, and an understanding has been reached between him and I.

She walks a couple of paces towards Klarg, trying to maintain eye contact but struggling mightily against the fear of another brush with death.

Persuasion Check >> Klarg
...I was wrong to leave. I know this. But I could not reach you, could not stop whatever it is that has taken root in your mind. This is madness, Klarg! We do not take orders from others; did not need their help. Half of the encampment lies broken and dead, and for what? For who?! These are not the actions of the man I love, not the way--

She realizes what she's said, but too late. Her hand flies to her face, studying Klarg's expression. She's never... never said that before. To anyone, much less him. Never truly stopped to consider it. She stands between two imposing figures, each intent on killing the other, and this is how she thinks to resolve it peacefully?

Stand down, Klarg. Let me help you. Tell me who's done this to us! How to undo it, to salvage what remains.

Tortle Dude

Dude, trying his hardest not to cringe, smirk, laugh, or comment continues to observe the situation to see where he heads... ready to step in if needed.

Dude prepares to step in front of T'anks should Klarg threaten her with violence.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Klarg, his eyes fixed on T'anks, his expression a turbulent mix of anger, confusion, and a trace of the affection he once held for her, struggles to process her words. "Undermine ME?! I am Klarg, future king of all I survey! Why should I, who is destined for greatness, heed the words of one who abandoned me? You speak of love, but where was that love when you left, T'anks? You're here to stop me, to stand in the way of my destiny!"
Klarg's grip on his weapon tightens, his emotions clearly warring within him. The notion that he might have been misled or that his ambitions could lead to his downfall is a challenge to his self-image as a burgeoning ruler. Yet, the underlying affection and history he shares with T'anks cause him to hesitate, if only for a moment.

The chamber, filled with the tension of the unfolding confrontation, becomes a crucible for Klarg's decisions. Around them, the adventurers wait in readiness, aware that the outcome of this encounter could have far-reaching implications not only for their quest but for the future of the region.

"No!" Klarg bellows, his voice a mixture of fury and determination. "I will not be swayed by false promises or the memories of what was! My destiny is to rule, to conquer! Phandalin is but the beginning. I will subjugate these lands and then, the world! None can stand against me—not you, T'anks, not your new companions, not anyone!"

His declaration is a clear signal that any hope of a peaceful resolution has vanished. Klarg's vision for the future, one of domination and conquest, leaves no room for the compassion or understanding T'anks hoped might still reside within him.

Roll for Initiative!
1708907286476.png

((that espalates quickly. I was hoping to move northeast 5 feet and investigate what is obviously a pantry or reading nook for goodies. I’ll roll for investigation now, because I needed to do something while that drama was going on

Do they notice me?))

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
While the tension escalates in Klarg's chamber, Kutshort, utilizing his exceptional stealth skills to navigate the cavern's complex terrain, stumbles upon a secluded nook—a place that, at first glance, appears to be an ordinary part of the cave. However, as Kutshort investigates further, it becomes clear that this hidden alcove serves as a personal sanctuary for Klarg, a place where the bugbear leader retreats to escape the pressures of leadership and his own grand ambitions.

Amidst the quiet solitude of this secret spot, the Rogue's eyes catch the glint of something unusual. Tucked away in a small crevice of the cave wall, he finds a jade statuette, expertly carved to resemble a frog. The statuette's eyes are inlaid with tiny golden orbs that shimmer in the dim light, giving the impression of a precious and possibly magical artifact.

Realizing the significance of his discovery, Kutshort carefully examines the statuette. The craftsmanship is exquisite, suggesting that it is not merely a decorative piece but may hold sentimental value for Klarg or possess some intrinsic magical properties. The presence of such an item in Klarg's private retreat hints at a complexity to the bugbear leader that the adventurers had not previously considered.

stealing homer simpson GIF

Tortle Dude

..."GOBLIN LOVER", Grandtorty's voice running rampant in Dude's head as T'anks professes her love for Klarg. Dude, standing besides T'anks looks in her direction, tightly gripping his sword. This has not gone how she had hoped, she did not want violence and alas, it has come to that. Dude cannot help but wonder if she's ready for this. Grandtorty's voice temporarily fading in his head. Is this empathy that he is feeling for her? After all that has happened... why? Dude's expression continues to remain stoic as his eyes shift from T'anks to Klarg.

Stronger than ME?

Dude's boisterous laugh echos through the chamber. Instead of anger, he looks at Klarg with a smug grin - a sharp contrast from what occurred moments leading up to this encounter. For if there is one thing Dude has lacked, it has never been confidence.

THIS is the almighty Klarg?

Dude's eyes shift to T'anks again, there is no way that she is ready for this encounter... but he made a promise to her, she will not die in this cave.

Dude moves 5 feet south, placing himself directly between Klarg and T'anks, staring directly at Klarg.

...let me tell YOU about destiny.

Destiny is encountering a devil by chance... your devil. Or so you thought...

She comes here - she offers you her love, she offers you peace. She wanted to spare your life...

And yet, instead of embracing her love... you want her dead.

Even after your goblins try to kill her, even after I save her life...

Dude gives Klarg a look that says "yeah, you heard me"...

Destiny brought her to me...

Destiny brought me... to you, Klarg.

For when you love a devil... and I mean, truly love a devil. You cannot escape that.

You don't own a devil Klarg, you never have, and you never will. For when you dance that dance - The Devil owns you.

See Klarg, you were so caught up on a devil that you thought you knew... you forgot about the devil that you should know.

Dude raises his sword, still freshly dripping with goblin blood from the encounter prior. Dude shifts his handling of the sword, revealing a design on the hilt of the sword for only Klarg to see - the etching of a turtle... covered by three distinct claw scratches. Dude's smugness continues.

Dude's words provide T'anks with inspiration. (Bardic Inspiration -> T'anks)

...MAN TURTLE!?

...I am no man. I am no turtle. I am Tortle Dude, of the Tortle family. Descendent of my Grandtorty...

I know you and your kind well Klarg. You pillage... you murder... you hate... and you rape. There was one Tortle who stood against you.

...and you pathetic sacks of filth poisoned him because you were too scared to fight him.

Dude pauses... Klarg must know of what he's referring to.

...you have not met The Devil, but I have.

I am your destiny Klarg... and your destiny is to lie in this cave, a nobody, bleeding out like the wretched coward that you and your kind are.

All stories have a villain Klarg...

Dude shifts his stance to a defensive stance, eying the room, three goblins and Klarg. The onslaught is coming.

...but every story needs the hero.

Dude enchants himself with Heroism and waits for the inevitable attack, protecting T'anks from Klarg...

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Hopper's Turn

Hopper, Kutshort's loyal wolf companion, remains stationed in the Twin Pools Cave. Despite his recent recovery from injuries, Hopper's determination to protect his friends and contribute to their mission is undiminished. Positioned strategically within the cave, he stands as a silent guardian, his senses keenly attuned to the environment around him.

Hopper's instincts, honed through both his natural abilities and the experiences shared with Kutshort and the party, make him an effective sentinel. His ears twitch at the slightest sound, and his eyes scan the shadows for any sign of movement. The bond between Hopper and Kutshort, built on trust and companionship, extends beyond their immediate proximity. Even in Kutshort's absence, Hopper remains steadfast in his duty, ready to spring into action at a moment's notice.

Hopper holds his action, waiting to see if danger arrives...

(( @GwJumpman ))

Dragmire

Dragmire uses his 25 feet of movement to jog back over the bridge ending up just southwest of Hopper.

Dragmire addresses Hopper:

Y'know Hop, I really hope Klarg comes barreling down this hallway. It's gonna be so funny when this trap springs on him and he's all wet and unhappy. I hear some commotion in there so I'm guessing the diplomatic approach didn't work out well. You getting all of this, Hop? Blink once if you're understanding what I'm saying, boy. Anyway, as I was saying...

Dragmire holds an Eldritch Blast action in case any Goblins come into eyesight.

T'anks Kiraine

{{ Two posts, for when I invariably need to use Inspiration lol }}

T'anks is stunned by the sudden turn of events. Klarg not being able to overcome the influence of whatever has taken hold over him is painful beyond words, and Dude's speech has kicked up a whirlwind of questions and emotions. She wanted to ensure her companions were ready for this just moments ago, but now... she realizes that it was her that was not prepared. Whether through naivety or sheer desperation, she had convinced herself everything would be fine - and yet reality has once again crushed her, utterly.

"What if the others die?" If they die, then there could be more time. Just a little more time...

Without conscious thought, T'anks draws her bow. She aims at Dude, standing but feet away, and takes a deep breath to steady her aim.

She abruptly shifts her aim to the left and immediately fires at her target.

[Attack] with Shortbow >> Goblin #3 (SE Corner)

T'anks Kiraine

{{ Yay hit lol }}

Don't you fucking die on me! she hisses, quickly turning on her heel and fleeing the room.

T'anks moves three squares north and one square northwest, arriving at the cross section of the dam(?) structure.

Last edited:
  • Fingers Crossed
Reactions: TD

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
The silence of the cave is momentarily broken by the twang of the bowstring as T'anks releases the arrow. It speeds through the air, a direct line between her and her target. The goblin, caught off-guard by the swift attack, barely has time to react as the arrow is loosed.

The arrow speeds through the air, striking the goblin with force. Though the wound it inflicts is not life-threatening, it is significant, cutting deeply enough to impact the goblin's ability to fight effectively. The goblin staggers, a sharp cry of pain escaping it as it clutches at the site of the injury, blood seeping between its fingers.

Klarg's Turn

Klarg, fueled by rage and his determination to prove his dominance, focuses his attention on Tortle Dude. With a bellowing roar that echoes through the chamber, Klarg raises his morningstar, a weapon that has instilled fear in the hearts of many.

Tortle Dude, ever the protector, stands ready to face Klarg's wrath, his own resolve unwavering despite the looming threat. The adventurers watch, their breaths held in anticipation, as Klarg swings his morningstar with devastating force towards Tortle Dude.

The impact is severe. Despite Tortle Dude's natural defenses and his attempts to brace himself against the attack, the morningstar connects with a sickening crunch. The force of the blow sends Tortle Dude reeling, the pain evident in his grimace as he struggles to maintain his footing.

Tortle Dude takes 10 piercing damage.

(( @TD please make a CON saving throw to maintain concentration ))

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Despite the grievous blow dealt by Klarg, the Bard demonstrates remarkable resilience and focus. As the morningstar's impact sends waves of pain through his body, he digs deep within himself, finding a strength that transcends the physical. Around him, the air hums with the power of the Heroism spell he had cast, a testament to his determination to protect and inspire his companions even in the face of overwhelming adversity.

Despite the severity of his injury, the Dude's concentration does not falter; the magical aura somehow persists...

(( @shortkut ))

1709155982172.png

EDIT: map updated

((Does my stealth roll from earlier still count? There are a lot of creatures in this chamber, just need to know if I need to roll again before I use my crossbow for sneak attacks))

Seeing Dude take such damage, Kutshort decides pillaging can wait. As much as he wants to aim for Klarg, he knows the plan is to get him to the trap.

Kutshort climbs up the wall to the ceiling, aims his crossbow at Lingob (the one T’anks shot), and fires

Kutshort hopes they won’t be able to tell where the bolt came from or even notice that the goblin furthest from the action has been hit

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
With a calm focus that belies the intensity of the moment, Kutshort readies his hand crossbow. The magic of his legs ensures his stability, even as he hangs from the ceiling, providing him with the perfect posture to aim. The goblin, oblivious to the danger looming from above, continues its feeble attempts to engage in the battle.

Kutshort releases the bolt. It zips through the air, a silent harbinger of death for the unsuspecting goblin. The accuracy of the shot is unerring; the bolt finds its mark, striking the goblin with lethal precision. The impact is immediate—the goblin collapses, no longer a threat to Kutshort's companions.

Goblins Turn

One of the remaining goblins, seeing Tortle Dude grievously wounded from Klarg's earlier attack, seizes what it perceives as an opportunity to take down one of the adventurers. With a malicious gleam in its eye, it advances towards Tortle Dude, brandishing its scimitar with a crude sense of confidence.

The goblin swings its weapon with all the ferocity it can muster, aiming to land a finishing blow on the weakened Tortle bard. However, the goblin underestimates Tortle Dude's resilience and the natural defenses afforded by his tortle shell.

As the scimitar comes down, it strikes Tortle Dude's shell with a clank, the sound echoing through the chamber. The blow, though delivered with intent, does no damage; the shell absorbs the impact, leaving Tortle Dude unharmed.

~~~

Positioned at a distance, the final goblin nocks an arrow to its shortbow, taking careful aim at Tortle Dude. Despite the protective shell and the resilience he has shown, the Dude's injuries have taken their toll, leaving him vulnerable.

With a malicious intent clear in its eyes, the goblin releases the arrow. It flies true, finding a gap in the Tortle's defenses. The impact is immediate and severe. The Bard, already bearing the marks of battle, feels the sting of the arrow as it pierces him, a sharp pain that signals his strength waning.

The arrow's impact takes Tortle Dude's last remaining strength, and he collapses, his form going still as unconsciousness claims him. The sight of Tortle Dude falling, a steadfast companion and protector, sends a wave of shock and fear through the adventurers. The realization that one of their own has been critically wounded adds a new layer of urgency to the battle.

Tortle Dude takes 5 piercing damage.

Tortle Dude falls unconscious!

Sildar's Turn

Sildar Hallwinter, witnessing the collapse of his comrade, is overcome with a sense of duty and resolve. With no hesitation, he rushes into the fray, his focus narrowing on the goblin that stands perilously close to Tortle Dude's prone form.

Sildar's movements are driven by a blend of strategic intent and the raw emotion stirred by the sight of Tortle Dude's fall. The goblin, momentarily distracted by its clanmate's recent success, barely registers the threat of Sildar's approach until it's too late. Sildar, wielding his longsword with the skill and precision honed over years of combat, strikes at the goblin.

The blow is swift and decisive. Sildar's sword cuts through the air, landing with lethal accuracy. The goblin, caught completely off guard, has no chance to defend itself. It collapses, the life extinguished from its body in an instant, a direct consequence of Sildar's determined attack.

(( @TD, please make a Death Saving Throw ))

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Hopper's Turn

In the Twin Pools Cave, Hopper, Kutshort's loyal wolf companion, stands alert and tense, his senses sharply attuned to the sounds of battle echoing from Klarg's chamber. The wolf's natural instincts, coupled with his bond with Kutshort, have prepared him for moments like this—yet the distance from his companions and the urgency of their cries stir a growing anxiety within him.

Despite his eagerness to join the fray and protect his allies, Hopper understands his role in the current strategy. His ears twitch at every minor sound, his eyes scanning the shadows for any hint of movement.

The tension in the cave is palpable, even to Hopper, who senses the critical nature of the battle unfolding beyond his immediate sight. His loyalty and concern for his companions drive a desire to act, but his discipline holds him in place, waiting for the right moment to unleash his strength against an approaching enemy.

Hopper holds his action, awaiting a visible enemy.

(( @GwJumpman ))

1709159111276.png

Dragmire

Dragmire looks at Hopper and gives him a thumbs up before jogging briskly 25 feet to the steps leading into to the main room where the fight is happening. Seeing the battle in progress, Dragmire understands this is the moment he has been waiting for. All of those missed Eldritch Blasts have been training him to land this one decisive blow. This time, Dragmire would not fail.

Dragmire casts Eldritch Blast on Klarg!

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Understanding the significance of taking down the bugbear leader, the Warlock focuses his arcane energy, channeling the power required for his Eldritch Blast. The air around him crackles with dark energy, signaling the impending unleashing of his spell.

With a determined gesture, Dragmire releases the Eldritch Blast towards Klarg. The bolt of dark, crackling energy surges across the chamber with incredible speed, aimed with precision that speaks to Dragmire's mastery over his arcane powers. Klarg, fully engaged in the melee and perhaps underestimating the threat posed by the warlock, catches sight of the incoming blast at the last possible moment.

In a display of combat instincts honed through countless battles, Klarg manages to sidestep the bolt, but just barely. The Eldritch Blast grazes past him by the narrowest of margins, the energy sizzling against his armor and leaving a scorch mark on the wall behind him where it impacts. The miss is a testament to both Dragmire's skill and Klarg's battle awareness, highlighting the razor-thin line between victory and defeat in such a high-stakes confrontation.

(( @Raine ))

T'anks Kiraine

T'anks hears a heavy thud from the room, sees both Sildar and Dragmire rush in. From this angle she can't discern what's happening, but surely if Sildar thought to enter further instead of retreating then the tentative backup plans are also buckling? She's not sure what to do, but there's no way she's running - and she doesn't have the means to loose the water trap herself.

T'anks rushes back into the room, one square south of Sildar.

She notices Dude on the floor as she bounds in past Dragmire, getting her bearings. She expects him to move after a moment... but he doesn't. She eyes Klarg, seeing the blood upon his Morningstar.

Vicious Mockery >> Klarg
Really, Klarg?! Seriously? You're that far gone that you won't even chase me anymore?
You have to sit here and pick on the Man Turtle because you think I chose him over you?
You're pathetic, Klarg. No, you're not Klarg. You're just some puppet, dancing on a string.
You disgust me.

This isn't Klarg. It's not. ...And he never will be again.

She turns her attention to Dude, taking a nap on the ground.

[Bonus Action] Healing Word >> Tortle Dude
Get up, Dude! I know you're not going to break your promise that easily. Not to me, and certainly not to the others!

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
T'anks hears a heavy thud from the room, sees both Sildar and Dragmire rush in. From this angle she can't discern what's happening, but surely if Sildar thought to enter further instead of retreating then the tentative backup plans are also buckling? She's not sure what to do, but there's no way she's running - and she doesn't have the means to loose the water trap herself.

T'anks rushes back into the room, one square south of Sildar.

She notices Dude on the floor as she bounds in past Dragmire, getting her bearings. She expects him to move after a moment... but he doesn't. She eyes Klarg, seeing the blood upon his Morningstar.

Vicious Mockery >> Klarg
Really, Klarg?! Seriously? You're that far gone that you won't even chase me anymore?
You have to sit here and pick on the Man Turtle because you think I chose him over you?
You're pathetic, Klarg. No, you're not Klarg. You're just some puppet, dancing on a string.
You disgust me.

This isn't Klarg. It's not. ...And he never will be again.

Get up, Dude! I know you're not going to break your promise that easily. Not to me, and certainly not to the others!

(( Klarg failed his WIS save, please roll 1d4 for psychic damage ))

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
As T'anks unleashes her verbal assault, the words ring out with a piercing clarity, each syllable dripping with disdain and contempt. Klarg, caught off guard by the sudden barrage of insults, momentarily falters, his bravado shaken by the unexpected assault on his ego. The mockery strikes a nerve, eroding Klarg's resolve and sowing seeds of doubt in his mind.

As the healing magic takes effect, Tortle Dude's eyes flutter open, consciousness returning to him in a rush. He draws a deep breath, the pain of his wounds dulling as the magic works its mending touch upon his battered form.

T'anks' strategic use of both mockery and healing serves to tip the scales in the party's favor, both weakening their foe and bolstering their own ranks. The psychological impact of her insults leaves Klarg rattled, his confidence shaken and his focus momentarily diverted. Meanwhile, the restoration of Tortle Dude's strength revitalizes the party, reinforcing their resolve to see the battle through to its conclusion.

Klarg's Turn

Klarg, his ego bruised and his focus impaired by the barrage of insults, turns his rage towards Tortle Dude, who has just been revived by the healing magic. Intent on reasserting his dominance and taking out his frustration on the Tortle, Klarg raises his weapon, aiming to deliver a crushing blow that would put Tortle Dude out of the fight once more.

However, the lingering effects of the Vicious Mockery spell continue to take their toll on Klarg. His movements, usually precise and deadly, are now clouded by anger and the psychological weight of the mockery. As he swings his weapon at the Bard, his aim is off, the blow missing its mark entirely. The weapon cleaves through the air, striking nothing but the ground beside Tortle Dude, who manages to evade the attack with a combination of luck and the slight hesitation in Klarg's strike.

(( @shortkut ))

Maybe the tiefling can be trusted after all, Kutshort thought to himself.

Klarg is almost too strong to take on face to face. Need to keep him distracted

Kutshort fires a crossbow bolt at Klarg then shouts

HEY, ASSBUTT!

1709175676152.gif

once he has Klargs attention, Kutshort quickly moves to the other side of the room (as far as distance will allow him to go)

Attachments

• 1709175598001.gif
    1709175598001.gif
    491.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
The bolt pierces through the air, striking Klarg with a force that the bugbear leader could not have anticipated, coming from a direction he had not guarded against.

The impact of the bolt hitting Klarg is palpable, the surprise and pain registering on his face as he reels from the attack. The adventurers watch as their foe stumbles, the cohesion of his assault further unraveled by Kutshort's daring move. The sneak attack not only inflicts physical damage on Klarg but also serves as yet another psychological blow, further undermining his confidence and command over the battlefield.

Goblins Turn

The last surviving goblin, witnessing the tide of battle turning against them, sets its sights on Kutshort. The Rogue's successful sneak attack from the ceiling not only dealt a significant blow to Klarg but also showcased the adventurers' tactical versatility. Determined to eliminate this high-ground threat, the goblin readies its shortbow, aiming upward at Kutshort's silhouette against the dim light of the chamber.

With a mixture of desperation and determination, the goblin releases the arrow, hoping to dislodge Kutshort from his advantageous position. However, the complexities of aiming at a target on the ceiling, combined with the goblin's hurried preparation, result in the arrow's trajectory veering off course. It whizzes past Kutshort, missing him entirely and embedding itself harmlessly in the cave wall.

Sildar's Turn

Meanwhile, Sildar Hallwinter, seizing the opportunity created by the distraction of the goblin's missed shot and the party's sustained assault on Klarg, advances towards the bugbear leader. With a determined stride, Sildar closes the distance between them, his longsword ready for a decisive strike.

Sildar swings his longsword at Klarg, aiming to capitalize on the bugbear's momentary disarray. The blow, while aimed with precision, only manages a glancing hit against Klarg. The longsword grazes Klarg, inflicting a wound that, though not as damaging as Sildar had hoped, serves to further wear down the bugbear leader.

(( @TD ))

Tortle Dude

Dude's ears ringing from the events that have occurred, he is still feeling it - but he musters his strength to try to appear unharmed to the group, he aims to keep the group confident. His eyes rapidly darting around the room, the plan has changed. Two goblins are down. Sildar has rushed in, Dragmire is by the entrance. Kutshort is... on the ceiling? Is this really happening or is he suffering from lettuce withdrawal? His eyes shift to T'anks, her words when he was coming to repeating in his head. She... saved him? He doesn't have it in him to figure out the "why" right now. Was she right? Is Klarg stronger than him? He doesn't have time for an existential crisis, much less to keep his eyes off Klarg, whom he shifts his attention to.

IS THAT ALL YOU GOT!?

A mixture of blood and spit fly from Dude's mouth as he seemingly cannot just shut up - but talking is what he does, his Grandtorty would swing the blade, Dude has always been the protector, his entire life. He takes a moment to spit out some more blood before the smug grin returns.

You have stoked The Devil's flame Klarg and it will engulf you. You WILL remember his name!

With these words, the ground around Klarg becomes enchanted with the violet light of Faerie Fire.

The blades will come from below, the arrows of my best friend will rain from above, and you WILL meet The Devil once more!

Dude's words inspire the ceiling walker. (Bardic Inspiration -> Kutshort)

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
As the spell takes effect, a vibrant glow of radiant, dancing lights envelops Klarg, outlining his massive form in a luminescent outline that leaves no doubt of his presence.

Klarg, now glowing with the faerie fire, finds himself at a significant disadvantage. His attempts to evade or counterattack are hampered by the magical illumination that clings to him, betraying his movements and making him a focal point for the adventurers' attacks.

(( As long as Tortle Dude maintains concentration, attacks on Klarg are made at Advantage ))

Hopper's Turn

Hopper, the loyal wolf companion to Kutshort, remains vigilant in the Twin Pools Cave, his senses sharp and his muscles tensed for action. His keen animal instincts, coupled with a deep trust in his companions, guide him to maintain his watchful stance, ready to protect or attack at the slightest indication of danger approaching from any would-be reinforcements or escapees.

As the battle with Klarg and his minions reaches a critical juncture, Hopper's presence in the rear, though seemingly passive, is a strategic safeguard. He ensures that the party's engagement with Klarg is not interrupted by unexpected threats, his role pivotal in securing the overall safety and success of the mission.

Hopper holds his action, awaiting an enemy

(( @GwJumpman ))

Dragmire

Dragmire, emboldened by the Gambler's Fallacy, is convinced that he has accumulated enough positive luck in reserve through all his failed attempts at landing an Eldritch Blast. With this newfound, though perhaps irrational, confidence in his abilities, Dragmire calmly enters the room.

Taking a step in front of T'anks and just east of Dude, Dragmire calls out to Klarg:

Hey Klarg, aren't you forgetting something?

Dragmire points past Klarg to the southwest in an effort to distract him slightly. Regardless of if he looks or not, Dragmire is going to sorta play it cool for a second then...

Dragmire casts Eldritch Blast on Klarg!

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
The ruse, as old as time, is delivered with such conviction that even Klarg, amidst his fury and focus on conquest, can't help but glance over his shoulder for a split second. This moment of distraction, brief as it is, gives Dragmire the opening he needs.

With a sly grin and a flick of his wrist, Dragmire channels the arcane energy required for his Eldritch Blast. The air crackles with magical power as he unleashes the spell, a beam of dark, crackling energy that races towards Klarg with unerring precision.

The Eldritch Blast hits Klarg squarely center mass, catching him completely off-guard. The force of the impact stumbles the burly bugbear, a growl of pain and surprise escaping him as the magical energy courses through his body. Klarg turns back to face Dragmire, his eyes burning with hatred and betrayal, now fully aware that he has been duped but also significantly weakened by the attack.

(( @Raine ))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom