• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Breaking Joe Biden drops out of 2024 presidential race

I like Joe, I think he's done a good job as president (at least as good given the landscape), I liked him as VP, I think he's about as good as a person can be in politics, though I only really know him since his VP days.

I will miss him, something about him always caught my attention. I think he would have been fine due to policies, but I understand the need for optics

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I like Joe, I think he's done a good job as president (at least as good given the landscape), I liked him as VP, I think he's about as good as a person can be in politics, though I only really know him since his VP days.

I will miss him, something about him always caught my attention. I think he would have been fine due to policies, but I understand the need for optics

I mean, that gives credit to his team and the optics they present. Beyond his VP days… you probably wouldn’t feel that way if you familiarized yourself with his previous work. Totally contradicts everything people know him for during his time as VP and beyond.

I mean, that gives credit to his team and the optics they present. Beyond his VP days… you probably wouldn’t feel that way if you familiarized yourself with his previous work. Totally contradicts everything people know him for during his time as VP and beyond.
I have heard some of that, but people can and do change (and sometimes for the better). Should not hold it against people for changing their views or mind as the times change or given new information

So...Kamala?

I am 50/50 it is bad optics to boot her out and she would eat Trumps lunch in a debate, but there is a lot of baggage there (which I dont think is all earned), if the Dems had any plans they should have had her every where since 2020 just in case this was needed (or other good candidates)

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I have heard some of that, but people can and do change (and sometimes for the better). Should not hold it against people for changing their views or mind as the times change or given new information

True, but his stance on race issues for one example didn’t really shift until the tone of the party required it, and he was paired up with Obama years after that. I don’t see that kind of shift as genuine, but that doesn’t mean you’re wrong about people being able to change.

Shadow.

☂☂☂☂☂☂
GW Elder
there is a 0% chance the dems even entertain the idea of replacing biden

they would rather lose with biden than showcase how dysfunctional they are to the entire world by outing their own fucking president lol
Mr Rogers Clown GIF

Rachel

No Problem Here
GW Elder
He has endorsed Harris.
Not surprising. There is still the question of the war chest. I think this is THE best path forward now. Not the only path, but they needed to figure out how to handle that.

I am going to be super pissed if this is how we get our first woman president. Not through primary, not through the normal process. I mean it will be cool but I'll still pissed. Assuming we beat Trump.

I am 50/50 it is bad optics to boot her out and she would eat Trumps lunch in a debate, but there is a lot of baggage there (which I dont think is all earned), if the Dems had any plans they should have had her every where since 2020 just in case this was needed (or other good candidates)
One thing I can say about her is she would DESTROY Trump in a debate

Rachel

No Problem Here
GW Elder
let's take a second to acknowledge this man

Some of me wishes he had won out versus Hillary, perhaps history would have been different

He loves his country very much, he gave through the very end. He did a great job. (My investment account thanks him too).

Edit: That's not to say I am 100% happy with him, with all his decisions, especially with Israel/Palestine. But he at least steadied the nation.

let's take a second to acknowledge this man

Some of me wishes he had won out versus Hillary, perhaps history would have been different

He loves his country very much, he gave through the very end. He did a great job. (My investment account thanks him too).
Had Beau not died when he did, we probably would have had President Biden in 2016 and potentially re-elected in 2020 (Trump likely would not have run again if he didn't win the first time).

The Supreme Court wouldn't have been so fucked as well.

Oh well. Here's to the future potentially being able to happen.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Based on googling and reading a single article, seems like Harry Truman and Lyndon B. Johnson

I’m doing a little bit of homework on it…

IMG_8603.jpeg

So, the circumstances are slightly different this time around, which could lend to why it’s being discussed as something “unprecedented”.

Based on googling and reading a single article, seems like Harry Truman and Lyndon B. Johnson
Both of those make sense. Truman already basically had two full terms. Looks like Johnson dropped out due to a combination of health issues and a drastic loss of popularity due to the Vietnam War and a shifting political climate.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Good for both, actually. Shapiro would help with PA a bunch and Cooper carried NC well statewide.

This makes me wonder what their angle should be… Personally, I think they need to come out swinging and give off the impression of a reinvigorated party in order to have any hope at shifting the dynamic of this election. Show some damn unison, and not that they’ve been huddling up trying to get Grandpa Joe to take his meds and go to bed before Johnny Carson comes on. If they can give the people the impression that they’re coming out of this stronger, there might be hope for them.

Rachel

No Problem Here
GW Elder
This makes me wonder what their angle should be… Personally, I think they need to come out swinging and give off the impression of a reinvigorated party in order to have any hope at shifting the dynamic of this election. Show some damn unison, and not that they’ve been huddling up trying to get Grandpa Joe to take his meds and go to bed before Johnny Carson comes on. If they can give the people the impression that they’re coming out of this stronger, there might be hope for them.

IMO It's about who is from the swing states. She's from Cali. Like, I would love Jeffries. Hell, could you imagine AOC.

They are going to be laser focused on how best to win. Unfortunately it's not by the most votes.

That would be risky from a Senate perspective though. PA is more important electorally as well.

Although if Kelly gets it maybe they can just put his brother in the Senate

If they go with Shapiro I wonder if a few idiots will think he's related to Ben Shapiro and vote for him :ROFLMAO:

goddamn i love being right

One thing I can say about her is she would DESTROY Trump in a debate
tbh the one thing I remember best about harris is that she sucked ass on the debate stage, which is weird as hell considering her legal background. maybe she could run circles around trump, but no one has really seemed to have figured out how to counter his gish gallop of lies, off-topic tangents, and whataboutism -- somehow.

goddamn i love being right

tbh the one thing I remember best about harris is that she sucked ass on the debate stage, which is weird as hell considering her legal background. maybe she could run circles around trump, but no one has really seemed to have figured out how to counter his gish gallop of lies, off-topic tangents, and whataboutism -- somehow.
She sucked in the primary debates but did great against Mike Pence. Besides all she has to do literally is fact check her opponent. She's also good about optics, which is what's most important apparently these days.

She sucked in the primary debates but did great against Mike Pence. Besides all she has to do literally is fact check her opponent. She's also good about optics, which is what's most important apparently these days.
Fair. I don't remember her against Pence. I only remember her from the primaries, and she was probably pulling punches so that's maybe not the best example to base my belief on.

Rachel

No Problem Here
GW Elder
oh boy, my mom Facebook group that is progressive is already turning on each other

Seems a lot of it hinges on genocide/what is happening in Palestine, they think Harris will be a continuation (also her prison policies), someone is saying Michigan has a huge Arab vote and they will be watching for what she says in this space

I'm feeling like how I did at the end days of the 2016 campaign, it wasn't locked in for Hillary, just a rollercoaster ride that I want off of

oh boy, my mom Facebook group that is progressive is already turning on each other

Seems a lot of it hinges on genocide/what is happening in Palestine,
I get the importance of that, but there is so many more fucking things that affect life and death and quality of life. It is also a very tense situation. There is probably a lot more to it than we know.

Rachel

No Problem Here
GW Elder
in all seriousness, this is exactly what I was talking about in that other thread when Harris was floated as the option. She's not without problems. We'll see what moves she makes here. So far a lot of this is playing out how I thought it would if he did this. Edit: Also as I mentioned earlier, we tend not to circle the wagons as progressives. If this had been the other side, there would be no question of that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom