It's been 23 years

i feel it's weakness is the last third of the story. it's like they ran out of time and had to rush it. actually, the same with FF8. it still bugs me

however, look how closely they were released to each other!

ff7 - 1997
ff8 - 1999
ff9 - 2000

how insane is that?

yet, they remain my favourite FFs, along with ffx. imo ff7 and ffx are the best because they don't go batshit insane at the end. shame the same can't be said with ffx-2 (although i still love it)

aw man. absolute golden era of gaming

Same thing with GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas - all within like 4 years. It's insane. Any we have been waiting 10 years for a new GTA.

The beginning of FF9 is the most fun, magical, amazing opening to a game I've ever played. The whole theater ship in Alexandria sequence is perfect. After that everything until the final act is amazing to me. It's the like they made the game for me, every beat was perfect. FF8 holds a special place to me because it was the first one in the series I played, the first true RPG I ever played. I'll never forget the sequence in Dollet for the first SeeD exam... it changed how I viewed video games. They were more than just Mario and Sonic.

Max - FF9 is amazing. I challenge you not to adore Vivi.

As for the name of this threadā€¦
Too damn late. :love

Can't help but thinking of Orko from He-Man when I see him though.

He Man Buttons GIF by Masters Of The Universe

Rachel

The Other Rachel
GW Elder
FF9 > the rest. I don't care.

Same thing with GTA 3, Vice City, San Andreas - all within like 4 years. It's insane. Any we have been waiting 10 years for a new GTA.

The beginning of FF9 is the most fun, magical, amazing opening to a game I've ever played. The whole theater ship in Alexandria sequence is perfect. After that everything until the final act is amazing to me. It's the like they made the game for me, every beat was perfect. FF8 holds a special place to me because it was the first one in the series I played, the first true RPG I ever played. I'll never forget the sequence in Dollet for the first SeeD exam... it changed how I viewed video games. They were more than just Mario and Sonic.

Did you have a chance to watch the Memoria Project

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder

All I know is the next GTA had better be far more of a game than GTAV. Donā€™t get me wrong, V was a fun game and Franklin, Michael, and Trevor were three of the best protagonists theyā€™ve had. Thatā€™s not saying much because the others werenā€™t given the depth those guys were, especially Claude. The game itself just fell flat on a lot of missions for me, and the attention to detail Rockstar normally has was missing from the start for meā€¦ from the very first mission. The very first time I played it was right after workā€¦ doing repo. The only truth to the first mission was double-teaming a two car/single debtor account, and the reason for that is self-explanatory. Very rarely do you just get keys for an exotic car like the two in the mission, even from a sub-prime lender/BHPH lot, and when you doā€¦ a greenie like Franklin wouldnā€™t be handed the keys. Aside from those little inconsistencies that bugged me, the missions were too linear and short for me. The main storyline was as well. It felt like they banked on having 3 protagonists instead of one would fill out the game more, but I donā€™t think it did.

As far as FFIX goesā€¦ thatā€™s the ONE ā€œmodernā€ offline FF I havenā€™t played, and itā€™s because I went back to VII after getting stuck on VIII because I had ZERO clue what level scaling was, so I defaulted to grinding after Balamb was mobile and ended up making it incredibly difficult on myself. After that, I went to FFX when the PS2 came out and never looked back. Your post and the others co-signing it is making me want to give it a shot now.

As far as FFIX goesā€¦ thatā€™s the ONE ā€œmodernā€ offline FF I havenā€™t played, and itā€™s because I went back to VII after getting stuck on VIII because I had ZERO clue what level scaling was, so I defaulted to grinding after Balamb was mobile and ended up making it incredibly difficult on myself. After that, I went to FFX when the PS2 came out and never looked back. Your post and the others co-signing it is making me want to give it a shot now.

Thatā€™s what I did. I heard that you lose half the world map between disc 3 and 4, and burned myself out grinding. Funnily enough, disc 4 is literally the last dungeon. Meh. Finally completed it it on the recent rerelease. 7 and 9 were the ones I really dug at the time.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Thatā€™s what I did. I heard that you lose half the world map between disc 3 and 4, and burned myself out grinding. Funnily enough, disc 4 is literally the last dungeon. Meh. Finally completed it it on the recent rerelease. 7 and 9 were the ones I really dug at the time.

When I finally beat VIII after reading the Brady Games guide (that sat collecting dust on my entertainment center while I struggled) I was impressed with the story, but like youā€¦ I was not anticipating the last disc to just cover one section, so it kinda pissed me off that it was so short. Changing discs after days of gameplay was kinda like a rite of passage progressing through multi-disc gamesā€¦ I think it only took me two different sessions.

i feel it's weakness is the last third of the story. it's like they ran out of time and had to rush it. actually, the same with FF8. it still bugs me

however, look how closely they were released to each other!

ff7 - 1997
ff8 - 1999
ff9 - 2000

how insane is that?

yet, they remain my favourite FFs, along with ffx. imo ff7 and ffx are the best because they don't go batshit insane at the end. shame the same can't be said with ffx-2 (although i still love it)

aw man. absolute golden era of gaming

Dont forget Tactics, Chrono Cross and Xenogearrs

Back
Top Bottom