• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Harris picks Walz for VP

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
Democratic National Convention Crying GIF by PBS News

Honestly this moment sold me on Tim Walz even more, because just watching this live I could tell his son was neurodivergent in some way. Probably a big dose of "takes one to know one", but the poor emotional regulation, odd haircut, sneakers with the suit, etc. are all pretty dead give aways. Gus Walz gives me such a strong "this could be either of my sons at 17" vibe, and it's just giving me more respect for Tim Walz as a father knowing he's raised a kid with ADHD and learning difficulties too (apparently they spoke about this in an article with People magazine.)

Democratic National Convention Crying GIF by PBS News

Honestly this moment sold me on Tim Walz even more, because just watching this live I could tell his son was neurodivergent in some way. Probably a big dose of "takes one to know one", but the poor emotional regulation, odd haircut, sneakers with the suit, etc. are all pretty dead give aways. Gus Walz gives me such a strong "this could be either of my sons at 17" vibe, and it's just giving me more respect for Tim Walz as a father knowing he's raised a kid with ADHD and learning difficulties too (apparently they spoke about this in an article with People magazine.)
For real. That was an amazing moment to catch on camera.

Rachel

No Problem Here
GW Elder
guys I am fired up

how can you look at that clip and think "jesus look at this beta male bullshit he's crying??"

HOW

WHY WOULD YOU NOT WANT A SON THAT SHOWS HIS LOVE FOR YOU

I WOULD DIE HAPPY FOR THIS REACTION

there is something deeply deeply wrong

These are people who are mothers and fathers!

I referenced Rush in the other thread. As I did that, I wondered about the days or weeks before he died. Did he regret anything? Was he bitter to the end? Did he care about how people would remember him? His legacy? Or did he not care and just wanted to die rich?

Christmas Carol is my very favorite novel and usually my favorite Christmas movie, in its various forms. I wonder why.

What is it like to live and think this way?? How sad!

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
Doesn't surprise me at all.

Not only do they have this alpha male nonsense in general, but if you go far enough right you find those who think people like Gus, some of us and our children shouldn't be alive to begin with. That's what the Nazis tried to accomplish.

Of course they're going to latch onto it as a weakness, not as an outburst of unbridled pride. But fuck 'em, they're wrong.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
If there's a parent out there that wouldn't want their child to be able to show that much pride in them, I wouldn't want to meet them. I feel like they'd be the most miserable humans.
Isn't that a big part of their problem, though? Daddy never hugged them, so they have no idea what healthy relationships look like.

The right and toxic masculinity are fairly entwined, I think. Not exclusively, of course.

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
I knew Ann Coulter was a piece of shit, but I really didn't know she was THIS BIG of a piece of shit. You can tell Tim Walz family really loves him. It's so different from the weird iciness of Trump's family.
You're not wrong. Trump's family really do treat each other like coworkers in some corporation... I guess because they are. There's no actual compassion or love for each other, just ambition and greed for power.

It's refreshing to see people with actual relatable families. I think they said it'd been 10 years or something since he stopped teaching and ran for office, but it still feels like Walz has a more tangible connection to American life that he's not lost sight of from decades of being rich and living in DC, etc.

Definitely feeling more relatable than "my daddy gave me millions of dollars and I've never had to want for shit".

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
https://newrepublic.com/post/184948/tim-walz-white-guy-tacos-far-right-maga-meltdown-reaction

Did you guys know, there's a "compulsive liar" in this election and that the guys on Fox & Friends are enraged by it?
Lmao, "he said pepper is the only spice he can handle but this recipe of his also has GARLIC and ONION!!!1"

Okay but he means spice as in spicy, not herbs and spices. He wasn't saying black pepper is literally the only spice he eats. Obviously.

Also Harris with her, "what are white guy tacos, mayo and tuna?" quip is almost as hilarious as white people who have probably never had a proper taco being offended by it.

You're not wrong. Trump's family really do treat each other like coworkers in some corporation... I guess because they are. There's no actual compassion or love for each other, just ambition and greed for power.

It's refreshing to see people with actual relatable families. I think they said it'd been 10 years or something since he stopped teaching and ran for office, but it still feels like Walz has a more tangible connection to American life that he's not lost sight of from decades of being rich and living in DC, etc.

Definitely feeling more relatable than "my daddy gave me millions of dollars and I've never had to want for shit".
It's funny when you consider their party used to hate Obama for being elitist, somehow.

Gloom-is-good

2.5 raccoons in a trench coat
GW Elder

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
I found this and thought this was relevant. I'm liking this guy more and more

💯