GW Mario Party Sign-Ups

Glub glub or pant pant?

• Total voters
1708501404246.png
I can technically make this work with any number of players, but I'm shooting for about 8. To avoid any jankiness, an even number is strongly preferred, and a multiple of 4 is ideal. The real game is only 4 players, but we're stretching things for fun.

I need a few things from each person who signs up:
1. Choose what character you want to play as. This will represent you on the board. Can be anything from the Mario/DK universe regardless if it's ever been playable.
2. What is your level of experience with the Mario Party series? If everyone is familiar with at least one of the first 8 games I'll have less to explain before we start. Otherwise it will be a LOT, but don't feel deterred from joining if you're clueless.
3. (Optional) Vote for the board we'll play on in the poll. I'll count the votes from players joining:
1708498961160.pngor1708498971483.png
Deep Bloober Sea is a bit unpredictable, but is mostly gimmickless, making it easier for those who don't know the game.
Spiny Desert offers more control over your place on the board, allowing for more strategy, but is also unique in that it always has two Star Spaces you are aiming for: One real and one a mirage.

Also if you have any suggestions for mini-games that will work in a forum format, let me know. I already have Hangman, Rock Paper Scissors, 5 Card Poker, Blackjack, Liar's Dice, and a couple other extremely basic dice rolling games. Just has to be something everyone can easily and fairly play without being too based on talent or popularity (such as drawing or Quiplash-esque games). Teams, Free-for-all, whatever. There will be somewhat unbalanced games, as I spent a long time converting as many real Mario Party games into forum games as well, but hopefully nothing glaring. If it isn't obvious yet, this will be pretty experimental.

Infodump on how it will work:
Each player will take turns using the dice rolling plugin on the forum. It will likely be a pretty slow-paced, long, and potentially tedious game (especially if we get a lot of people) because each turn requires both a lot of decision-making from the player and updating of the game board and scorecards from me. The biggest factor is that I work a full time job and need my home PC to post board updates, so expect an average of one major update a day during the week. There are lots of junctions, shops, random events, etc. that will require your input as you move along the board, but as everyone figures out how things work it will likely get easier to streamline turns. You'll roll a d10 to decide how far you go, use one of your items if you have any, decide which directions to go, and the space you land on will determine what happens next. After everyone's taken their turn, we'll play a mini-game. Most will be pretty luck-based due to the nature of the forums, but the winner(s) will usually receive 10 coins and the next turn will start. We will be using Mario Party 3 rules this time because I think it's arguably the best in the series, and I've done a lot of research on exactly how the game works with things like probability and whatnot, so it should be a decent simulation of the real thing. This particular game will be 15 Turns long and will use the classic Mini-Game, Coin, and Happening Bonus Stars. If we end up finishing it, we may play again with slightly different rules, but we'll see how things go first.

Players
  1. Nae'blis (Goomba)
  2. TD (Toad)
  3. Jon (Dry Bones)
  4. shortkut (Boo)
  5. Rick52 (Luigi)
  6. Spiner202 (Yoshi)
  7. VashtheStampede (Boom Boom)
  8. Gloom-is-good (Lumalee)

Last edited:
  • Seen
Reactions: TD

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Adult Swim Help GIF

Jack Black Toad GIF

I am Toad pls.

(Have played much Mario Party)

I’ve only played Mario party on GameCube with any consistency. How do you plan on playing the mini games here?

If people really want to play, bump me for them. If you need an extra person, slot me in

I like playing as Boo for Mario games

video games art GIF by G1ft3d
You should be good then, the Gamecube ones are pretty much the same as the others, aside from 4 having a much different set of items.

The vast majority of the mini games will be played in rounds kinda like D&D where everyone takes turns but their actions technically happen at the same time. Some of them will require people to message me privately so that their choices don't affect other people's choices. A lot of stuff will be dice-based because there's only so much we have to work with, but I do have a few that are a bit more involved. One or two of them will use this rock-paper-scissors combat system I slapped together:rock paper mario party.png
A lot of it will have to be pretty luck-heavy, but I tried my best to infuse some actual gameplay into the games as well. Just don't be surprised if you guys see Bowser's Big Blast show up on the roulette.
Also, I voted Deep Bloober Sea. Both maps are great, but Spiny Desert is just too random for my liking.
While Deep Bloober Sea is probably my favorite map and I was never a fan of Spiny Desert's mirage thing, I feel like it might actually be less random if that's a concern. In order to get to the side of the map you want to be on in DBS, you have to not only choose the right colored button, but then hope you don't immediately land on one of the happening spaces anyway. Whereas with Spiny Desert's happening spaces you can at least bounce off the skeleton gate to manipulate your roll beforehand, or keep looping around until you get teleported back.

• Chef’s Kiss
Reactions: TD
Oh no neither of you don't.

He said 4 or 8.

We'll get to 8.
To be fair I think kut had first dibs on escaping the game if it was needed lol.

Like I said though, we can play with any number, it's just that certain stuff goes much more smoothly with certain numbers. I forget what exactly without checking my game docs (at work rn), but a big one being our ability to do even team mini games like the 2v2 ones in the actual games.

But it looks like we have 8, so unless things change we should be able to start soon. Just need Gloom to pick a character and dice turned on in FOG.

Can I be Lumalee?

View attachment 9830

Also idk how to turn on dice... someone is gonna have to tell me.. sorry..
Sure

And don't worry about the dice thing. That's something we'll need an admin to enable. I hit up Mark about it. Not sure who all is capable of that sort of thing, but he's the one I was talking to before about that stuff.

Back
Top Bottom