Other Finally, at the age of 41...

i think a lack of class must be another sign of (at least a certain level) of wealth
true rich people don't flaunt it with things like material items. They buy expensive shit, for sure, but it's not stuff that acts like a giant neon sign that says, "I'm rich af". You have people like Jay Leno and Harrison Ford who use their wealth to fund their hobbies (Leno collects cars, Ford flew planes).

The rich people that buy shit to show off how rich they are don't stay rich for long.

true rich people don't flaunt it with things like material items. They buy expensive shit, for sure, but it's not stuff that acts like a giant neon sign that says, "I'm rich af". You have people like Jay Leno and Harrison Ford who use their wealth to fund their hobbies (Leno collects cars, Ford flew planes).

The rich people that buy shit to show off how rich they are don't stay rich for long.
Exactly, there is rich and there is wealthy. The rich flaunt it and lose it, the wealthy accumulate and keep it

Back in high school I was a passenger in two high speed collisions in the space of about two weeks.

Kinda soured me on the whole "riding in a giant metal death machine" thing for quite a while.
That's insane! I was wondering what could possibly make you put it off for so long, and yup, that would do it.

Anyway, congrats on getting your license! I think once you start to get more comfortable with driving, you'll feel safer when you're behind the wheel as opposed to riding shotgun. I never *truly* feel 100% safe when other people are driving.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Both collisions were where the car I was in rear ended someone while traveling pretty fast.

One was my grandmother having a "senior moment" and just barreling into a car stopped waiting to turn onto a side street.

The second was my idiot best friend being a dipshit and driving at an unsafe speed and then trying to brake as late as possible. On a road covered in gravel. Incredibly lucky no one died in that one.

We fell out of touch not too long after that once he went into the Marines. Couple years later I found out he got into an accident that did end up killing a couple of his passengers.

Both collisions were where the car I was in rear ended someone while traveling pretty fast.

One was my grandmother having a "senior moment" and just barreling into a car stopped waiting to turn onto a side street.

The second was my idiot best friend being a dipshit and driving at an unsafe speed and then trying to brake as late as possible. On a road covered in gravel. Incredibly lucky no one died in that one.

We fell out of touch not too long after that once he went into the Marines. Couple years later I found out he got into an accident that did end up killing a couple of his passengers.
You would think he'd learn after the first accident. That's just awful.

People drive like maniacs in this country and it's bumper to bumper traffic on all the highways in Riyadh. I genuinely fear for my life every time I take to the road. Luckily, no accidents so far.

Neither of those people should have had a license.

Christina

I see you
Queen of the Dead
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Because they are clearly useless. Nobody who sucks at driving is being kept off the road. It just serves as a gatekeeping and fee collection service for those who actually do want to follow the rules.
I had a coworker that was killed by a dumbass woman who was such a terrible driver they took her license away even before she killed my coworker. The even sadder part of it was her daughter who was licensed was in the car with her and could have been the one driving. Not having a license does not keep stupid people from being stupid. My hope is it made it all the worse and she went to jail for man slaughter.

I don't know if this helps your point or not, but at the very least her not having a license helped them prove even more that she was at fault for what she did and it was not just a "tragic accident".

The US has a car problem. We have built most of our country in a way that requires people to need to drive everywhere. A lot of people are just not cut out for this skill. It's not necessarily a negative on the person. I personally would love to live in a place where I don't need a car and can just bike or walk everywhere.

The US has a car problem. We have built most of our country in a way that requires people to need to drive everywhere. A lot of people are just not cut out for this skill. It's not necessarily a negative on the person. I personally would love to live in a place where I don't need a car and can just bike or walk everywhere.
The fact that people are required to drive everywhere to live means that a license to drive is a license to survive. And people are going to choose to drive unlicensed over not making ends meet.

Absolutely it would be awesome in so many ways if our economy relied less on vehicles. But at the moment it doesn’t.

Most of the time driving without a license is barely prosecuted, unless you are an immigrant they want to deport.

I’ll say I’m being a little hyperbolic by saying licensing shouldn’t exist. But I do think most of the time it functions as a hurdle to stop ordinary people from living their lives rather than something that actually keeps bad drivers off the road.
I think this is definitely a country difference then. Our licensing seems to still run more closely to who should and shouldn't be on the road

I think this is definitely a country difference then. Our licensing seems to still run more closely to who should and shouldn't be on the road
I wish that was how it worked here. Here, unless you get your license revoked because of multiple drunk driving and/or wreckless driving incidents, or you get pulled over a LOT (hard to do, honestly), you'll only need to do the test when you're first getting your license.

Back
Top Bottom