Other Finally, at the age of 41...

Christina

I see you
Queen of the Dead
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
So what's @Christina think now that she doesn't have to haul your ass around everywhere?
I'm excited for him because he doesn't need me anymore to go get him something or if he wants to go to a movie by himself. I'm also planning my free time. We do still have only one car and that wont change until the kids start driving. 2 cars is too much money toward something that will just sit in the driveway 95% of the time.

Woo! Congrats, Vash! :)

Never too late to get things like this done. Probably gonna be more and more important as time goes on, too. Such a culture shock moving out of my little walking-friendly hometown and realizing most people need a personal vehicle to get anywhere.

Was gonna use the cheers reaction but seemed inapproriate.
Don't worry I took care of it for you. It's ginger ale, no drinking and driving you goober! ...And no using the phone while in the driver's seat. IF ONE MORE PERSON CUTS ME OFF I SWEAR ON EVERYTHING UNHOL--

Rooster Teeth Reaction GIF by Achievement Hunter

Footage from his driving test

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I uh...I never practiced doing a three-way turn before the exam. And then she made me do it on this little tiny road with curbs on either side and told me I couldn't touch the curbs.

I credit video games with pulling that off on my first attempt in a high pressure situation.

What was your test? I assume this is for passenger vehicles only, since driving tests are not required for motorcycles or sports cars.

- At least 20 mph under the speed limit at all times
- You shall not leave the left lane until you are a 1/4 mile from your exit
- Left turn signal permanently on

Here's a fun driving story from Florida a month or two ago:

I was returning a rental car at the airport in Sanford. Medium-size airport. A truck pulled up behind me as the attendant checks the car for damage. So this is in the secured area, after you drive over the road spikes and whatnot. She is taking the car keys when this mentally insane redneck literally pushes her out of the way and starts cussing me out. I've never seen this person before. He goes on and on about how "I know what I did" and I'm bemused and say I've never seen you before. And so he says that I apparently cut him off from where he wanted to go at some intersection. I have no recollection. He storms back into his truck and drives off (I'd love to see his conversation trying to leave the rental area and explaining he's not stealing a rental car). The attendant comes back to check out the car AS IF NOTHING HAD HAPPENED. Picked up where she left off mid sentence.

After I got to my gate at the airport, I pulled up a map to figure out where the hell I pissed this guy off. The place he mentioned was 15 miles from the airport. This deranged maniac followed me 15 miles into an airport to yell at me. I guess I'm lucky he didn't shoot me.

Anyways, congrats on passing your driving test but maybe you need to be armed to drive down there.

Christina

I see you
Queen of the Dead
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
What was your test? I assume this is for passenger vehicles only, since driving tests are not required for motorcycles or sports cars.

- At least 20 mph under the speed limit at all times
- You shall not leave the left lane until you are a 1/4 mile from your exit
- Left turn signal permanently on

Here's a fun driving story from Florida a month or two ago:

I was returning a rental car at the airport in Sanford. Medium-size airport. A truck pulled up behind me as the attendant checks the car for damage. So this is in the secured area, after you drive over the road spikes and whatnot. She is taking the car keys when this mentally insane redneck literally pushes her out of the way and starts cussing me out. I've never seen this person before. He goes on and on about how "I know what I did" and I'm bemused and say I've never seen you before. And so he says that I apparently cut him off from where he wanted to go at some intersection. I have no recollection. He storms back into his truck and drives off (I'd love to see his conversation trying to leave the rental area and explaining he's not stealing a rental car). The attendant comes back to check out the car AS IF NOTHING HAD HAPPENED. Picked up where she left off mid sentence.

After I got to my gate at the airport, I pulled up a map to figure out where the hell I pissed this guy off. The place he mentioned was 15 miles from the airport. This deranged maniac followed me 15 miles into an airport to yell at me. I guess I'm lucky he didn't shoot me.

Anyways, congrats on passing your driving test but maybe you need to be armed to drive down there.
This story amazed me because in Florida we are so used to people from all over that have no idea how to drive or where they are going. I play a game of Are They when I drive. Are they old? Are they on their phone? Are they intoxicated? Are they just stupid. Florida is not the worst place I've ever driven. That belongs to California where they were actively trying to kill me. Florida is just bad because you get such a bad mix. Old people, tourists, people on drugs. But yes if he was willing to follow you 15 miles you are lucky he didn't shoot you.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Fuck you! You're stuck with me. You can't afford child support and rent.

Damn, I can tell you’ve been practicing your “bitter baby mama” bit. Impressive.

I uh...I never practiced doing a three-way turn before the exam. And then she made me do it on this little tiny road with curbs on either side and told me I couldn't touch the curbs.

I credit video games with pulling that off on my first attempt in a high pressure situation.

Sir… I believe the term you’re looking for is “three point turn”… everything’s a fucking innuendo with this guy. Congrats on getting your picture taken, though.

Do they make people parallel park outside of NYC?

I had to when I got my license, but they’ve since changed policy and no longer require it here. I’ll never understand why they pulled it from the test.

Congrats!
... Do Americans not parallel park?

Every day it's something new with these...
We have to do it on our tests in Ontario, but I can say that I have intentionally never needed to in the wild. I try to avoid driving downtown because my parking skills are so bad, and you never need to in the suburbs.

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
When I had to take my road test in the US, I ran a stop sign and still passed it.

Anyhow, congrats Vash! It might still be worth it to get a second car to have it ready for when shit hits the fan. Just keep it off the road and covered up. Of course depends on finances, but it's always nice to know backup exists.

Congrats guy. :clapping

So I didn't read any other posts in the thread, but wondering - why did you hold off for so long?

My best friend of 26 years still doesn't have his and doesn't plan on it because he can reliably use public transport where I'm from. And my girlfriend doesn't have hers because she never transferred her Chinese DL before it expired and doesn't want to take the test all over again here (she's afraid she won't pass lol).

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Congrats guy. :clapping

So I didn't read any other posts in the thread, but wondering - why did you hold off for so long?
Back in high school I was a passenger in two high speed collisions in the space of about two weeks.

Kinda soured me on the whole "riding in a giant metal death machine" thing for quite a while.

When I had to take my road test in the US, I ran a stop sign and still passed it.
how? No wonder we have shitty drivers everywhere in this country...

That's wild! My friend told me the other day he failed his first test because he failed to come to a complete stop at a stop sign.
I failed immediately because I couldn't parallel park. Practiced it with my dad, and got it on the very next try. Got my license at 20. I feel like I can parallel park well enough, as long as I have power mirrors. Been able to squeeze into spots most people wouldn't try.

canadaguy

Roast Beef
GW Elder

I failed immediately because I couldn't parallel park. Practiced it with my dad, and got it on the very next try. Got my license at 20. I feel like I can parallel park well enough, as long as I have power mirrors. Been able to squeeze into spots most people wouldn't try.
Now kids will be taking their test in cars with 360 camera views and park assist it's like fucking cheat codes

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
It was thanks to the circumstances I think. I failed my first road test because the instructor brought me to a weird part of town I wasn't familiar with and taxed me with not signaling a lane change when it wasn't apparent that the lane he wanted me on was the extra turning lane. (Weird shaped road, doesn't make sense without seeing it). Then something else stupid I don't remember. Well, since he failed me, I went to book a new test and scored one the very next day, which was insane as hell. The following day, I came there again and the instructor almost had his jaw drop as he saw me again that soon. My FIL also came that time to the starting spot instead of sitting to the side like the day before. What I believe happened, was that the guy thought I had some.... maybe mob connection or something, since the in-law does have some old time mobster energy to him. The instructor was also a 6'3" older black dude and the area wasn't that welcoming of folks a decade or so ago. Well, he invited my in-law for the ride too. Everything went fine in the beginning. Midway, he tells me to floor it to get through a yellow as I was his last driver before going home. I say nope and stop. Wasn't it the very next intersection where I ran the stop sign. In my defense, you could not see it or the others until like 10 feet away thanks to some overgrown branches. I remember making a crack about drawing the at stopping for yellows and running stop signs. With better wording though. The rest went well and the only tick against me was the stop sign so I passed. Maybe he thought there was some mob action going on or maybe he just pitied me since it was my second attempt. Who knows. Still an amusing happenstance.

Christina

I see you
Queen of the Dead
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Now kids will be taking their test in cars with 360 camera views and park assist it's like fucking cheat codes
Our car does have 360 cameras and for most parts of it they wont let you use them. In the backing up 50 feet you can not use your cameras or mirrors. You have to turn and look. The way our car is, you can see almost nothing backing up this way. I've had to relearn using the camera.

Back
Top Bottom