Multi Dragon's Dogma 2

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I intend to buy it to support the effort, but I haven't gotten around to playing the first game and there are too many other silly ideas taking priority right now to realistically play it this year. :chuckle
:chuckle

The good news is they've made it clear that you by no means have to have played the 1st to play the 2nd ala Final Fantasy or Souls so that makes me happy there.

As an inquiring mind..

What are those questions and what are those answers?
"Ah, so this is what lion people look like when they don't have tiny heads"

My headcanon is that Capcom and Square have beef, and it manifests in ways that deeply amuse me.

The Hrothgar were/are supposed to be the Ronso Tribe from X, except inside of XIV. They don't look like it though - and seeing the DD2 lion people again immediately drew comparisons for me. Like when XVI gave that awful answer for why there were no Black people, and DD2's first trailer basically started with a badass dark-skinned man. :chuckle

• Seen
Reactions: TD

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
A little under two months to go!

Honestly pretty crazy how many large RPGs are dropping in the first quarter of the year. Hopefully it performs well!
I hope so!

That trailer shows so much promise and they've improved on so much from the original. The combat looks way more in depth and it's shaping up to be better in every way.

I need more time for gaming. Too many games I'd want to try to play and/or buy but so little time. Plus with Chrono Oddyssey probably coming out in the back half of the year...

I need more time for gaming. Too many games I'd want to try to play and/or buy but so little time. Plus with Chrono Oddyssey probably coming out in the back half of the year...
Ain't that the fuckin' truth! We're already in February somehow, still haven't fired up a game of the non-MMO variety. But hey only 19 days until FF14's Xbox launch so I'll probably start poking around more regularly with that and ignore everything else even more for a couple of weeks. :chuckle ... :facepalm2

But yeah, from the moment they showed this off it immediately looked orders of magnitude more interesting and appealing than something like FF16. So, fingers crossed indeed!

• Haha

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
The first one is fun, I just got distracted by a different game. It's been a bit since I last played it, so I don't have more specific thoughts at the moment.

I am going to get it on PlayStation, so I'll add you. Hopefully you have a good pawn in the first game I can borrow!
Awesome.

If you have the PS3 version of DD, I had a top 10 global pawn and one of the best overall.

PS4 version is not as good a pawn but still very strong.

Should help you out.

;)

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Your pawn on the ps4 version is wild. She makes comments after each battle about how it was beneath her and an utter waste of her time, blows up explosives in the middle of my party for shits and giggles, and attacks absolutely everything on sight.

It's been entertaining, even if she does get me killed sometimes.

• Haha

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Between you and a friend who is currently playing and leveling faster than me, I no longer have to go swap out my pawns every few levels. It's so much less hassle. They're both been helpful with quests too.

I was playing as a sorcerer, but I switched to magic archer since Jade is a sorcerer. It's been pretty fun, I like the variety of attacks it has.

• Cheers!

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Awesome - yeah swapping pawns is one of those things that can get tedious so I typically delayed it as much as possible.

Magick Archer is a lot of fun and is a fan favourite for sure, part of the reason it's back for #2.

Re: Sorcerer, I always used to run 2 sorcerers in the party for spell syncing, a mechanic that the game doesn't explain great. Basically one sorcerer starts a spell, the other jumps in later, it cuts the casting time to match the first sorcerer and both spells land at the same time.

One of the many ways you can get creative with party composition.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I'm pretty sure it's on Xbox as well.

It's seeming popular. 16 people on my friends list already downloaded it which is crazy to me since the first was such a dark horse.

Unicorn Overlord... yeah that was on my list, even moreso after the reviews.

I couldn't imagine buying games and not playing them immediately.

It's seeming popular. 16 people on my friends list already downloaded it which is crazy to me since the first was such a dark horse.
For sure, it's definitely got a lot more attention and buzz so far. I imagine years of positive word of mouth for the first game, Capcom killing it in recent years and the very strong first showing are putting in a lot of work!

I couldn't imagine buying games and not playing them immediately. :chuckle
Definitely a picky thing in this day and age! I probably buy ~10 new games a year, and mostly niche stuff that'll have limited print runs or that I want to try and support on Xbox (even though that support never results in more of those games coming to the platform lol) so we can maybe get more of them. Like I was going to buy P3R and LaD Infinite Wealth, but... then all the bad news, so I canceled both. And I guess roundabout ordered these instead. 🤔

I gave up on actual hope for clearing the backlog or even trial running games. Maybe if I reach retirement gracefully I can finish a couple. :giggle

• Cheers!

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
For sure, it's definitely got a lot more attention and buzz so far. I imagine years of positive word of mouth for the first game, Capcom killing it in recent years and the very strong first showing are putting in a lot of work!
They definitely are, there's some caution about the lack of graphical settings on console and uncapped framerate, but I haven't actually heard anything terrible about it.
Definitely a picky thing in this day and age! I probably buy ~10 new games a year, and mostly niche stuff that'll have limited print runs or that I want to try and support on Xbox (even though that support never results in more of those games coming to the platform lol) so we can maybe get more of
Meanwhile there's me... I bought the FF Pixel Remaster last month and the last game I bought before that was Elden Ring...

Even DD2 I was gifted and am not technically buying myself.
Like I was going to buy P3R and LaD Infinite Wealth, but... then all the bad news, so I canceled both. And I guess roundabout ordered these instead. 🤔
Sounds like someone may have a hop to Playstation in their future.

;)
I gave up on actual hope for clearing the backlog or even trial running games. Maybe if I reach retirement gracefully I can finish a couple. :giggle
I have over 120 games in my "games to try" folder so uh. I'm with you.

They definitely are, there's some caution about the lack of graphical settings on console and uncapped framerate, but I haven't actually heard anything terrible about it.
I saw some headlines about that, yeah. Capcom's been pretty good about updating their games post-release too, so I'm reasonably confident that even if at launch it's a little messy they'll shore it up a bit more over time. There's the basically guaranteed PS5 Pro dropping in November too, that may or may not factor into their decision/benchmark.

Meanwhile there's me... I bought the FF Pixel Remaster last month and the last game I bought before that was Elden Ring...
Aye, I feel ya. I'm lucky enough to have an okay amount of fun money despite the groceries taking all of us for a ringer, but... shit's real expensive, gets marked down real damn quick (LaD Infinite Wealth hit $40 not even a month after release?!), and I'm very much a homebody that doesn't have hobbies outside of gaming and browsing the internet.

Insofar that I don't actually play games anymore apparently lmao 👀

Sounds like someone may have a hop to Playstation in their future.

;)
It's possible! Until Sony decides they wanna be dumb too. :paranoid

• Seen

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I saw some headlines about that, yeah. Capcom's been pretty good about updating their games post-release too, so I'm reasonably confident that even if at launch it's a little messy they'll shore it up a bit more over time. There's the basically guaranteed PS5 Pro dropping in November too, that may or may not factor into their decision/benchmark.
Wait what? PS5 Pro?

Fuck sake I hate this new era of gaming.
Aye, I feel ya. I'm lucky enough to have an okay amount of fun money despite the groceries taking all of us for a ringer, but... shit's real expensive, gets marked down real damn quick (LaD Infinite Wealth hit $40 not even a month after release?!), and I'm very much a homebody that doesn't have hobbies outside of gaming and browsing the internet.

Insofar that I don't actually play games anymore apparently lmao 👀
That's the thing too is uh... time. I'm also grossly inconsistent. I'll binge. Then not play for a long time. Rinse repeat.
It's possible! Until Sony decides they wanna be dumb too. :paranoid
DON'T. JINX. IT.

Wait what? PS5 Pro?

Fuck sake I hate this new era of gaming.
Seconded. But yes, Sony's "mid-generation refresh" is by all accounts set in stone.

Microsoft seems to be weighing their options; either doing an all-digital "refresh" of both the Series S and the Series X, or calling it good and releasing a(n ostensibly all-digital) next-gen console in 2026~2027. Bit of conflicting information out in the wild at the moment.

That's the thing too is uh... time. I'm also grossly inconsistent. I'll binge. Then not play for a long time. Rinse repeat.
Yup. Throw in MMOs, for me, over the last ~11 years and yeah, ain't shit really getting done on this front. :chuckle

• This Is Fine

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Seconded. But yes, Sony's "mid-generation refresh" is by all accounts set in stone.
I refuse to buy a Pro out of principle.
Yup. Throw in MMOs, for me, over the last ~11 years and yeah, ain't shit really getting done on this front. :chuckle
This is why I can't play MMOs.

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I preordered yesterday.

Have been mainlining videos about the game.

Am at maximum hype.
Hell Yeah Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I didn't expect to read that, had no idea you were following this game.

I dabbled in the Character Creator earlier today, it's quite in-depth.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Hell Yeah Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I didn't expect to read that, had no idea you were following this game.

I dabbled in the Character Creator earlier today, it's quite in-depth.

I didn't even like the first one lol

I remember seeing the first previews drop and thinking the aiming mechanic looked cool and that was about it. Then I watched a video of a guy explaining why a lot of people AREN'T gonna like it and I was like "oooooh that sounds awesome".

• Chef’s Kiss

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I didn't even like the first one lol

I remember seeing the first previews drop and thinking the aiming mechanic looked cool and that was about it. Then I watched a video of a guy explaining why a lot of people AREN'T gonna like it and I was like "oooooh that sounds awesome".

A few minutes into the video saying he's addressing people who think it's like Skyrim, or Elden Ring, or D&D... yeah, gonna watch the rest cause it's a good thing he's doing that.

Aside from also being a fantasy rpg, it's not like those.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
The more I think about what this game has to offer the more I'm hopeful that this game is what I was wanting Elden Ring to be.

Don't get me wrong, I think Elden Ring is fantastic but this game looks to hew closer to my gaming sensibilities while still providing that big fantasy playground with little handholding.

I doubt the world will be as interesting as Elden Ring's, but as long as there's plenty to explore and discover, I should be pretty happy.

• Chef’s Kiss

TD

10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
The more I think about what this game has to offer the more I'm hopeful that this game is what I was wanting Elden Ring to be.

Don't get me wrong, I think Elden Ring is fantastic but this game looks to hew closer to my gaming sensibilities while still providing that big fantasy playground with little handholding.

I doubt the world will be as interesting as Elden Ring's, but as long as there's plenty to explore and discover, I should be pretty happy.
As someone who is a diehard souls fan and diehard dogma fan, they're certainly games that have some in common but are often compared solely due to being action RPGs.

That said, I don't see Elden Ring and Dragon's Dogma 2 being similar at all aside from what you said.

Based on what I know you're looking for - I think/hope you'll be happy with DD2.

I'll be firing it up first thing Friday.

Back
Top Bottom