Status
Not open for further replies.

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
Side note.

Are we sure badges were even the issue or did we just get lucky that fixed it?

I noticed in Ben's chart the names he highlighted all have D&D settings so I was wondering if that was why.

Or maybe badges / D&D don't like eachother.

Have I mentioned I'm happy I have my badges back?

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Side note.

I noticed in Ben's chart the names he highlighted all have D&D settings so I was wondering if that was why.

Well, we landed on the badge quantity because it was very reminiscent of another add-on from way back and it’s easier than waiting to hear back from the dev. There was a similar system that used even smaller non-animated gifs that would add a block per every X value of reputation/karma, and over time… we’d fuck around and manipulate people’s stats manually. Eventually, if a thread got large enough or had enough heavily modified users in it, it would crash trying to load hundreds of copies of the same image and produce a similar dead page. You’d think it wouldn’t be an issue because the file would only be cached once, but since the server is calling on that file so many times per page, that can only alleviate so much of the pressure it puts.

I can only assume that with the leaps and bounds in technology since I was last more familiar with the stuff than I am now that servers have only become more impatient and less likely to sit around and wait before kicking out an error like that.

• Cheers!
Reactions: TD

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
MARK as the resolution.

Think About It GIF by Identity

Ben

Stoned Guardian
Badministrator
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
GW Elder
Side note.

That was the first thing I chased as the possible cause, but Crystal turned all the D&D modifications off and the pages were still broken, suggesting that wasn't the conflict.

There probably is supposed to be a limit to the number of badges. After skimming the code quickly I'd think it may be a conflict with the stylesheets and it fitting into the post info space, but I didn't try to mess with with it knowing Crystal and Lee already would have.

6 is enough for any reasonable human. Y'all out here trying to gather flair like you work at Chotchkie's.

office space flair GIF

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
That was the first thing I chased as the possible cause, but Crystal turned all the D&D modifications off and the pages were still broken, suggesting that wasn't the conflict.

There probably is supposed to be a limit to the number of badges. After skimming the code quickly I'd think it may be a conflict with the stylesheets and it fitting into the post info space, but I didn't try to mess with with it knowing Crystal and Lee already would have.

6 is enough for any reasonable human. Y'all out here trying to gather flair like you work at Chotchkie's.

office space flair GIF
You're more than welcome to tinker if you want to, or even copy the style and make a test style to give it a try. If we find out it's not the badges after all, we can make Tortle Dude very happy indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom