Multi Your Rarest/Most Expensive Game

Been trying to figure out what is the "rarest" and most valuable game in my library. Not to find out what games I should sell, but for the fun of the "hahaha, I bought this game forever ago super cheap now it's dumb expensive" feeling.

Before I started checking to see how much people were selling games for, I assumed my copy of Twilight Princess for the Gamecube or The Legend of Zelda Collector's Edition for the Gamecube were the most expensive games I had. TP is indeed pricy, complete copies will run you about 100 bucks. The Collector's Edition is priced exactly how you'd expect a disk with 4 LoZ games on it would cost in a normal environment. I wonder if Nintendo choosing to not include Link to the Past because of them releasing the GBA version around the same time helps keep the price acceptable. OoT Master Quest is also reasonably priced, considering that you can't get the Master Quest anywhere else.

A bit ago, I found that my copy of Ultra Vortek for the Jaguar was expensive despite being an awful game. Surprisingly, only Ultra Vortek and Doom are expensive.

Today, I found out that one of my most unassuming and random games is surprisingly expensive and likely the most "valuable" game in my library.

Behold: Haunting Ground on the PS2. 350 bucks for a complete this game out of every game I have is ludicrous. Even more insane... the strategy guide (which I also have) is running for about 165 bucks. Just... why? At best, the game is a mediocre diversion while you wait to replay Resident Evil 429 for the hundredth time. I'm not selling this game, but since I have no connection to the game, if I absolutely have to sell a bunch of my games, this is likely going to be one of the first ones I post on eBay.

What are the most valuable games that you own? And I don't mean personally valuable. Soul Calibur for the Dreamcast is the game I spend the most time playing on my Dreamcast and I associate the console with the game more than any other game, but you can get a complete copy for a cool 25 bucks (definitely get the game if you have a Dreamcast) and as such, is obviously not "valuable".

I know @Crystal is over there hoarding a copy of Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Also, I've decided using complete copies of many N64 games is cheating, considering how much cheaper you can find N64 games without a box and manual. SNES, NES, and Genesis games are likely similar (if you have an NES game complete with original box and manual, count your lucky stars).

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
I have Pokémon Stadium 2 with the manual. I don't know what happened to the box, but the box alone is 119 bucks. The game is over 50 bucks. I don't really like Pokémon, so the Pokémon Stadium games are the only ones I own.
The Stadium games are pretty fun! I got lucky snagging the 3DS console, those things disappear and then skyrocket in value, wish I'd had the money for 2 of them, lol. Trying to sell the one I have for a bit of cash, but have to find the right buyer at those prices.

Looks like the most expensive Gameboy game is the GBA version of Serious Sam. I've got it with the box and manual. The box is not in the best shape, but apparently, a complete in box copy is valued at 93 bucks.
Let me tell you... this game is NOT worth 93 bucks... it's not even worth the loose price of 25. Unplayable is a good way to describe the game. At least Haunting Ground is playable.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Yeah, it's the most random games that end up worth insane money, lol. I own all of the Pokemon games CIB, and these ones are starting to go insane, for instance:

Anyone want a copy of the Resident Evil 4 Preview disc? Only 62 bucks. lel

I don't even know how I got this thing (supposedly it was a pre-order bonus), but I ain't fuckin' selling it. This is a surprisingly unique item in my library of games. I've got some other silly stuff that isn't exactly common. I've got Mace Griffen: Bounty Hunter for the Xbox that comes with the bonus music CD. Doesn't even seem like sellers know there's a fucking difference.
I had a behind the scenes disc for True Crime New York City, but I can't find the disc, only the box. Hopefully I can find it. That'd be a nice inclusion. People are selling the disc with the box, but I don't need another box.

Yeah, it's the most random games that end up worth insane money, lol. I own all of the Pokemon games CIB, and these ones are starting to go insane, for instance:

I'm kinda glad I'm not a Pokemon fan. Too much money to invest into that series.

I have no earthly idea what anything I have is really worth. Got tons and tons of CiB things, stuff still sitting around in shrinkwrap, and my interests are generally heavily niche-oriented/leaning so plenty of stuff that is just objectively not available in enormous quantities.

I know things like The Misadventures of Tron Bonne [PS1] got pretty rare, and that's still showing as being up over $300.
Tales of Destiny II [PS1] (Tales of Eternia) is still around $250.
Persona 2: Eternal Punishment [PS1] is $270-ish.
Apparently .hack//Quarantine [PS2] is $300 or so? The other 3 aren't very expensive though.
Xenosaga Episode 3 [PS2] is up over $200.

Just randomly plugging stuff into Google and quickly checking listicles. I know all of the Guitar Hero and Rock Band instruments I have in storage are/were worth a fortune, too. Alongside things like the Legacy Adapter.

Conversely, it's mind-blowing seeing things like Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne only being $40-ish and Disgaea: Hour of Darkness being sub-$10 considering how rare both were in the mid- to late-aughts.

Behold: Haunting Ground on the PS2. 350 bucks for a complete this game out of every game I have is ludicrous. Even more insane... the strategy guide (which I also have) is running for about 165 bucks. Just... why? At best, the game is a mediocre diversion while you wait to replay Resident Evil 429 for the hundredth time. I'm not selling this game, but since I have no connection to the game, if I absolutely have to sell a bunch of my games, this is likely going to be one of the first ones I post on eBay.
Oh, I didn't realize this was so expensive. I have this.

Haunting Ground has had cult status for a long, long time now - and more recently, has become rather infamous as people (re-re-)discovered it and started realizing how absolutely fucked up the premise of the entire thing is. Like with one of the stalkers seeking to, y'know, impregnate her and all. 👀

Oh yeah, Pokemon games have been nutso for a good while now in part because of the TCG/CCG shenanigans from a couple years back. When I randomly checked ~18 months ago, fittingly, CiB Crystal was the most expensive of what I have - at around $600. I assume Nintendo/GameFreak/TPC permanently breaking series continuity will cool/kill a large part of this market, but we'll see.

Once I'm done adding all my games to this Price Charting site, I'm defo making a thread about the cheapest games 100% worth picking up immediately. I've found many games for super cheap that are really quality stuff. And I'm not talking about super well known stuff like Mario games, either.
I'm talking games like Wave Race Blue Storm being available in the teens CiB.

You have a complete in box ME?!? Aww :hugs

:D

My rarest + most expensive games are probably Gotcha Force and Cubivore. I'm a GameCube whore.

I also have some other weird GameCube games like Resident Evil 2 and 3.
I remember Capcom catching some shit from reviewers for RE2 and RE3 being straight ports instead of remakes like they did with RE1 but still chose to sell the games at full price like the RE1 remake. I chose to not get them because I had RE1 and RE0 on the GC and felt that if I wanted to get RE2 and RE3, I'd be better off getting the PS1, N64, or Dreamcast versions for cheaper. That remains true today...

Cubivore is the kind of title that has always been expensive, like Panzer Dragoon Saga. Did you get it near when they released it or did you shell out for a copy when it turned into a rare commodity?

I feel like I remember seeing Cubivore a day Chibi Robo on Gamestop store shelves back in the day and completely ignoring them because of how dumb they looked. There are definitely some Cube titles that I missed out on when they were cheap.

My copy of Mario Golf got stolen. The disc just vanished after I had some workers or movers come, but I still had the case for a while until I guess I tossed it. Luckily, if I really want a copy, I can get it for about 25 bucks on Ebay. I thought it had a second disc but I might be confusing it with my copy of Double Dash which came with the bonus disc.

Cubivore is the kind of title that has always been expensive, like Panzer Dragoon Saga. Did you get it near when they released it or did you shell out for a copy when it turned into a rare commodity?
Nah, I got them in Jan or Feb or something after COVID first broke out. They were already expensive by then. They're actually pretty fun games too. Surprisingly the story in Cubivore is so funny. Had me busting up laughing at some points. Gotcha Force has some incredible voice acting. It's a fun game, but takes a while to ramp up and overstays its welcome.

Same for the Fire Emblem Fates special edition. I just wanted the cart, but people were selling with the whole box, etc., so splurged on that too.

I also have a copy of Jack Bros + manual.

Never had anything stolen yet. I thought I did, but they turned up later on.

RE2/3 GCN are both $100-ish? Yikes. And Code: Veronica X is... closer to $175~200. Add it to the list. :chuckle

Skies of Arcadia Legends is $140. Original Dreamcast prices are all over the place, but generally averaging about the same when complete.

Don't have it, but Power Stone 2 is $140+.

I also have a copy of Jack Bros + manual.
Now that's money.

Couldn't imagine ever touching a Virtual Boy game again. :rofl

Don't have it, but Power Stone 2 is $140+.
gotta get the PAL edition. I got the PAL for the first game at a reasonable price. I still suck at the game.
Skies of Arcadia Legends is $140. Original Dreamcast prices are all over the place, but generally averaging about the same when complete.
I'd get Skies for either GC or Dreamast if they weren't so expensive. Since I'm not all that big on Turn Based RPGs, I'm not willing to drop 100+ on the game.

I want Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2 for the GC. Supposedly they're really good games but they're so expensive.

gotta get the PAL edition. I got the PAL for the first game at a reasonable price. I still suck at the game.
All the imports fall squarely into my partner's basket. We have a decent assortment of PAL and NTSC-J games, but they're all PS3/Vita/X360. I don't even bother with the ones that nonsensically get Canadian/Mexican releases but skip the US. :chuckle

I'd get Skies for either GC or Dreamast if they weren't so expensive. Since I'm not all that big on Turn Based RPGs, I'm not willing to drop 100+ on the game.
The sense of wonder and exploration is top-notch, but... yeah. Aside from airship battles, it's still very much a turn-based JRPG - and not, I would say, one of the more must-play experimental systems either. Which is to say it's no Grandia or Shadow Hearts.

It's a travesty that the allegedly finished port that was slated for X360/PS3 never saw the light of day. You had one job, Sega!

I want Lost Kingdoms 1 and 2 for the GC. Supposedly they're really good games but they're so expensive.
Some of the only games I have that are disc-only, because of how uncommon/rare they were.

I quite enjoyed the first game, which I think was among the very last of the rentals I ever had. I honestly couldn't tell you much about it at this point and I don't remember how far into the game I actually got, though. Definitely didn't complete it. Never got around to playing/trying out LK2.

LK1 and 2 are the last games I want to round-out my Gamecube collection. When I'm in the states in December, I'm gonna try to find them.

Fire Queen

official GWF wolfmistress (sometimes) | she/they
GW Elder
Apparently .hack//Quarantine [PS2] is $300 or so? The other 3 aren't very expensive though.

i played through the PS2 .hack// games a couple of years ago and my friend only had the first three. we assumed (incorrectly) that the fourth one would be easy to find. lol absolutely not it turns out. ended up borrowing it from another friend who had to ship it to me. i shipped it back once my friend and i were done playing it. great game series btw and it's absolutely criminal they're not legally available on any newer systems

Oh, GameCube - Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance was, and still is, quite rare. Seeing current Ebay listings for disc only being over $200, just the case + insert (and maybe manual) is up around $170.

i lost my original copy years ago (my advice: don't lose an entire carrying case of gamecube games at once) but managed to grab one from gamestop a few years back when they were piloting selling used copies of older games. got it for under 70 which is an insane bargain. did the same for radiant dawn and thousand-year door

Why is Sonic R valued at 90-155 bucks?

a small price to pay for one of the greatest soundtracks in gaming

Same for the Fire Emblem Fates special edition. I just wanted the cart, but people were selling with the whole box, etc., so splurged on that too.

sorry for your loss. i got the special edition at launch, spent two hundred hours of my life that i'll never get back playing through all three routes, and flipped it to my local used video game store for like $250. congrats on owning cubivore though that game kicks ass

i have some special edition games that are probably worth a decent amount but out of my whole library there's no telling. probably a fire emblem as would be on brand for me. i have the original special edition Wii U copy of, ahem, Tokyo Mirage Sessions#FE, so that's probably up there

my friend (the same one i played .hack// with) has some really good CiB games just kind of laying around, including a (sealed!) copy of FFVIII

including a (sealed!) copy of FFVIII
I have a sealed copy of Windwaker HD and I recently purchased a sealed copy of Exhibition 1 for the Xbox. I could probably leave both unopened. I already have Windwaker on the GC and figured that if I every wanted to play the HD version that I'd need to get it before Wii U games became super valuable like Gamecube games did. I was wise to do so, and have had no need to open my copy of Windwaker HD... yet. It will happen. Holding onto an unopened copy of a Player Select version of a game just seems silly to me.

Exhibition 1 (a demo disc) likely has games that I've already played, but I was looking to pick up some demo discs and it was 11 bucks after shipping. I might open it, I might not. Did not list it as sealed (new) on the Price Chart site because I'm lazy and I know I'd end up forgetting to update the entry.

i played through the PS2 .hack// games a couple of years ago and my friend only had the first three. we assumed (incorrectly) that the fourth one would be easy to find. lol absolutely not it turns out. ended up borrowing it from another friend who had to ship it to me. i shipped it back once my friend and i were done playing it. great game series btw and it's absolutely criminal they're not legally available on any newer systems
The craziest thing about the tetralogy pricing is that back when they were still relatively new, I'm almost certain Infection (#1) and Outbreak (#3) were the rarer finds, especially Outbreak.

I heard talk years ago that devs within Namco Bandai wanted to do ports/remasters for IMOQ and Xenosaga, but the execs didn't think either would sell well. ...But then they went ahead and greenlit porting the .hack//G.U. trilogy Remaster for Switch. 😂

Fire Queen said:
(my advice: don't lose an entire carrying case of gamecube games at once)
Sound advice. Big oof. :(

sorry for your loss. i got the special edition at launch, spent two hundred hours of my life that i'll never get back playing through all three routes, and flipped it to my local used video game store for like $250.
I loved 3H so I thought I would really enjoy the Fire Emblem 3DS games. Picked them all up when the eshop was closing, but I just couldn't get into them unfortunately. Maybe when I make a dent in my Switch backlog I'll get into them again. I usually try to 100% games but I think doing that with the 3DS FE games is guaranteed madness.
congrats on owning cubivore though that game kicks ass
Hell yeah, it's such a deceptively charming game.

Fire Queen

official GWF wolfmistress (sometimes) | she/they
GW Elder
I loved 3H so I thought I would really enjoy the Fire Emblem 3DS games. Picked them all up when the eshop was closing, but I just couldn't get into them unfortunately. Maybe when I make a dent in my Switch backlog I'll get into them again. I usually try to 100% games but I think doing that with the 3DS FE games is guaranteed madness.

the three FE 3DS games wildly vary in tone and quality. awakening is really solid with a good cast of characters although the plot is a little weak. my feelings about fates are clouded because good gravy that game is pandering to a not-good crowd. and then there's echoes, which is an extremely faithful (to a fault) remake of the second famicom fire emblem, i think it stands out for a couple of reasons--it has a different character designer than the other two, it has the smallest cast of characters in any fire emblem, it does gameplay things no other FE game does (except for the original gaiden lol) and it has some of the best english voicework in any fire emblem. i made this meme during my last radiant dawn replay lol

fememe.png

awakening is really solid with a good cast of characters although the plot is a little weak
Awakening was the only one of the 3DS Fire Emblems I played a lot of. I still haven't beaten it. Got kind of worn out on it tbh. The optional chapters vary wildly in difficulty and I got kind of tired of enemies appearing on the map at random times and locations and OHKOing my characters. Too many characters too IMO.
echoes, which is an extremely faithful (to a fault) remake of the second famicom fire emblem, i think it stands out for a couple of reasons--it has a different character designer than the other two, it has the smallest cast of characters in any fire emblem, it does gameplay things no other FE game does (except for the original gaiden lol) and it has some of the best english voicework in any fire emblem. i made this meme during my last radiant dawn replay lol
I played a TINY bit of Echoes, so I'm not a great judge, but I liked what I played. I'm happy with a small cast. When the cast gets too large, the characters start becoming too tropey or one-note anyway.

Also that meme template is from one of my favorite memes. Nice (even if 3H is my favorite FE game)

I retained nothing from my childhood and I hate to admit I had an extensive library of various games and manuals across a bunch of systems. When I was heavily into Guitar Hero/Rock Band in 2009-2010, I sold almost everything I had for a new set of Rock Band 2 drums (with steel plate) cymbals, and another guitar to add to my set. Trade in for around 100 old games varying in quality net me around $350. It was all spent. At the time, I was so happy everything I had completely covered it. Now later in life, I'm like "lol". Oh well, life goes on. :tissue

I retained nothing from my childhood and I hate to admit I had an extensive library of various games and manuals across a bunch of systems. When I was heavily into Guitar Hero/Rock Band in 2009-2010, I sold almost everything I had for a new set of Rock Band 2 drums (with steel plate) cymbals, and another guitar to add to my set. Trade in for around 100 old games varying in quality net me around $350. It was all spent. At the time, I was so happy everything I had completely covered it. Now later in life, I'm like "lol". Oh well, life goes on. :tissue
I made the mistake of trading in Power Stone because I was disappointed that it was nothing like Smash Bros. I ended up having to get the PAL version in order to get a copy at a decent price now. So, now I'm being extra cautious of what games I trade in. I will need to shrink my Xbox and Xbox 360 libraries because I have way too many games for both systems and a bunch of the games, I have a physical copy of on other system, including PC.

Along with adding games to the digital collection for tracking purposes, I'm also grouping games by importance to both me and the console. Like, I may not like Forza Motorsport, but I completely acknowledge its place in gaming history and will not be getting rid of it.

Elusive

Introverted and Unstable
GW Elder
I got a copy of Cubivore for Gamecube which was around $200~ last i checked. Got a genuine earthbound for snes. and I have a near complete virtual boy collection w/ the blockbuster hardshell rental case.

First thing that comes to mind for me is Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix. Still have the mat and the box it came in stuffed up in my closet somewhere. Aside from that I don't really know the rarity of any of my games, but I've kept pretty much every game I've ever owned since I was a kid, so maybe I have something. I have an E-Reader and a bunch of cards for it and I feel like most people probably don't even remember it existed. Not sure if it counts, but Hey You Pikachu was another weird one I had as a kid, but it got lost or stolen at some point.

First thing that comes to mind for me is Dance Dance Revolution: Mario Mix. Still have the mat and the box it came in stuffed up in my closet somewhere. Aside from that I don't really know the rarity of any of my games, but I've kept pretty much every game I've ever owned since I was a kid, so maybe I have something. I have an E-Reader and a bunch of cards for it and I feel like most people probably don't even remember it existed. Not sure if it counts, but Hey You Pikachu was another weird one I had as a kid, but it got lost or stolen at some point.
I have the E-Reader with every SMB3 card, every playable game that you could get, and a handful of rando Animal Crossing and Pokémon cards. Had them since they were made available. When I looked through my stuff, I was surprised I wasn't missing any cards. I've lost complete games, and almost all of my Dreamcast games have no official case or manual, but never lost the cards I bought or the E-Reader.

Doesn't look like they're valuable on the market outside of the handful of jackasses selling Pokémon cards for ridiculous prices.

Back
Top Bottom