Microsoft Xbox Family Exclusives

Wondering if anyone has a list of exclusives going back to the OG Xbox era (so, Xbox, 360, One, even Series X). I'm considering getting a Series X before they go digital only.

Looking for games that are pure exclusives like Ninja Gaiden, or games that are also available only on PC (Fable). Not interested in racing games.

"No racing" more or less just boils down to not putting Project Gotham Racing or Forza on the lists, so that part's easy enough.

Did some quick first-run passovers, compared Achievement/Trophy listings, and then hit up Google to find other things that I may have overlooked. Lots of stuff missing, couple of things on the lists that shouldn't be, relative quality not super factored in (though these started as lists of things I want[ed] to play, so...) and doesn't really factor in what's physical/digital only. So very much early draft/Work-in-Progress sort of deal. But yeah.

Helpful website: http://xbmcxbox.blogspot.com/2013/05/list-of-original-xbox-exclusives.html

Azurik: Rise of Perathia
Blinx 2 : Masters of Time and Space
Blinx: The Time Sweeper
Brute Force
Conker: Live & Reloaded (A remake/remaster of the N64 game, also available minimally through Rare Replay on Xbone)
Crimson Sea
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Dino Crisis 3
Fable (Remake/Remaster available on X360)
Fable: The Lost Chapters (May be included in the above, I don't really know about Fable)
Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel
Fuzion Frenzy
Galleon : Islands of Mystery
Gun Metal
GunGriffon : Allied Strike
GunValkyrie
Halo 2 (Remake/Remaster via Master Chief Collection on Xbone)
Halo: Combat Evolved (X360 and Xbone Remakes/Remasters)
Hunter : The Reckoning : Redeemer
Iron Phoenix
Jade Empire
Jet Set Radio Future
Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes
Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders
MechAssault
MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf
Murakumo: Renegade Mech Pursuit
Myst IV: Revelation
NightCaster
NightCaster II : Equinox
Ninja Gaiden (See below)
Ninja Gaiden Black (Sigma is on PS3 IIRC, technically same game but not quite)
Oddworld : Munch's Oddysee (Feels like something that should be available elsewhere by now)
Oddworld : Stranger's Wrath (See above)
Otogi 2: Immortal Warriors
Otogi: Myth of Demons
OutRun 2
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Phantom Dust (Xbone version is a remake I think)
Scrapland
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Off-hand I know Switch has been getting a lot of these old SW games, not sure about KOTOR)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords
Sudeki
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay (No longer exclusive, also remake/remaster on X360)
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Thief: Deadly Shadows
ToeJam & Earl III : Mission to Earth
Unreal Championship
Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict
Unreal II: The Awakening
Voodoo Vince
Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dawn of Destiny (Just a traditional YGO game, so "technically" available all over the place)

Helpful list:

X360 Non-Backwards Compatible (Yet?)
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Culdcept SAGA (Different entries in the series with different cards and boards on PS2 and 3DS)
Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
MagnaCarta 2
Ninety-Nine Nights
Ninety-Nine Nights II
Ninja Blade
Operation Darkness
Phantasy Star Universe (Also on PS2)
Spectral Force 3: Innocent Rage
Tenchu Z
The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai
The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile
The Last Remnant (PS3 version was cancelled, a digital-only PS4 Remaster now exists)
Zoids Assault

X360 Backwards Compatible
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Beautiful Katamari
Blue Dragon
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Crackdown
Crackdown 2
Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga
Enchanted Arms (PS3 version may exist that just doesn't have Trophy support)
Fable Anniversary
Fable II
Fable III
Gears of War (Remake/Remaster available on Xbone)
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 3
Gears of War: Judgment
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved²
Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Multiplat, but the X360 version's servers still work)
Guardian Heroes
Halo 3 (Can get inside Master Chief Collection on Xbone)
Halo 3: ODST (Can get inside Master Chief Collection on Xbone)
Halo Wars
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary (Can get inside Master Chief Collection on Xbone)
Halo: Reach (Can get inside Master Chief Collection on Xbone)
ilomilo
Infinite Undiscovery
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Kameo: Elements of Power
Lost Odyssey
Ms. Splosion Man
Ninja Gaiden II (Sigma 2 is on PS3, technically the same game but not quite)
Overlord (PS3 version may exist that just doesn't have Trophy support)
Perfect Dark (Also part of Rare Replay)
Perfect Dark Zero] (Also part of Rare Replay)
Radiant Silvergun
Shadow Assault Tenchu
Splosion Man
The Darkness (PS3 version may exist that just doesn't have Trophy support)
The Maw
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Too Human
Viva Piñata
Viva Piñata: Party Animals
Viva Piñata: Trouble In Paradise

External Sources Say (Need to look up later):
Bomberman Live
Bomberman Live: Battlefest
Comic Jumper: The Adventures of Captain Smiley
Dead or Alive 4
Full Auto (I think racing is secondary to pew-pewing, but...)
Fuzion Frenzy 2
Jetpac Refuelled
NIN2-JUMP
Portal: Still Alive
Raskulls
Saints Row (Remake exists on future PS and XB consoles, may be of dubious quality)
SpongeBob SquarePants: Underpants Slam

Honestly this will end up being 99.9% first-party stuff and indies with maybe temporary exclusivity deals.

Starting points:

Looking at that Xbox 360 list makes me wish I was a bit older when I had one. Although I will forever love Madden and Guitar Hero games, I spent so much time playing them at the expense of other games. Basically the only Xbox exclusives I really played were Halo and Halo 3. Technically Perfect Dark too, but I played that on N64 as well.

Looking at that Xbox 360 list makes me wish I was a bit older when I had one. Although I will forever love Madden and Guitar Hero games, I spent so much time playing them at the expense of other games. Basically the only Xbox exclusives I really played were Halo and Halo 3. Technically Perfect Dark too, but I played that on N64 as well.
Yeah, I feel you.

It's easy to forget so far removed (~18 years?!) but Xbox 360 was the first to launch and easier to develop for, so virtually all PS360 games had the X360 version as the primary from which the PS3 port/version was derived.

Being first meant it actually had far, far more exclusives than this previously. Games like Dead Rising aren't on PS3, but I didn't include them because there's a remaster for both PS4 and Xbox One. Same for Chronicles of Riddick, Tales of Vesperia (outside of Japan), The Last Remnant fits in here though I still listed it since it's digital-only. Lots of games within the generation were originally X360 exclusive and didn't come to PS3 until much later; Mass Effect and BioShock are by far the most notable games of this ilk.

And being easier to develop for, and consequently the primary development platform, means even games that are multiplatform just flat out run better on X360 than PS3 - and even better still if they're backwards compatible and get the various boons from One/One X/Series. Everything from Bethesda instantly qualifies here. There were nothing but problems with those games on the PS3. Excessive crashing, framerate issues, save file memory bleed/bloat eventually rendering some files unusable.

Times have definitely changed though. Still the quickest rise and fall of a gaming company/platform, I feel. :chuckle

There were nothing but problems with those games on the PS3. Excessive crashing, framerate issues, save file memory bleed/bloat eventually rendering some files unusable.
The good (bad?) thing about the gaming industry these days is that everything gets remastered or re-released in some fashion, so even the stuff that was unplayable on Playstation is fine now.

The series that really caught my eye in your lists were Gears of War and Fable. I can't see a situation where I'm going to experience any of those games, unfortunately.

The series that really caught my eye in your lists were Gears of War and Fable. I can't see a situation where I'm going to experience any of those games, unfortunately.
Unfortunately gonna have to do PC (emulation or otherwise) for those, yeah. Gears of War: Ultimate Edition is on PC, and there were rumblings some time ago about a Master Chief Collection-type of thing happening for the series but it never materialized. I'm not sure Fable is popular/relevant enough anymore to get the same treatment, especially with Lionhead Studios long gone. But maybe with the upcoming game? Who knows.

Epic's Gears games were really solid though, and definitely worth checking out at some point. As with Halo when 343i took over from Bungie, though, I immediately fell off the series once it passed over to The Coalition. But never really heard anything (too) bad about Gear 4 and 5, come to think of it; just lost interest.

Yeah, the Xbone and Series X have a pretty poor showing when it comes to exclusives.

Thanks @Raine for the list. I think I've narrowed down my wants to:

Xbox
  • Blinx 2 (maybe? critic reviews suck but user reviews rate it high)
  • Conker Live and Reloaded
  • Fable: TLC
  • GTA vice city
  • Jet set radio future
  • Lost odyssey
  • Ninja Gaiden black
  • Panzer Dragoon Orta
  • Psychonauts
  • Star Wars KOTOR I and II
  • Thief: Deadly Shadows
  • Beautiful Katamari
  • Crackdown 1 and 2
  • Fable 2
  • Fable 3
  • Gears of War 1-3
  • Guardian Heroes
  • Ninja Gaiden II
Xbone/ Series
  • Halo 5
  • Halo Master Chief Collection
  • Gears 4-5
  • Rare Replay
I'm I neglecting anything obvious?

I'm I neglecting anything obvious?
I would say if you're curious enough to give Lost Odyssey a whirl, go ahead and do Blue Dragon too. At least give it ~3 hours to experience one of the most insane(ly awesome) tonal whiplashes on the platform. :chuckle Lost Odyssey is to Final Fantasy what Blue Dragon is to Dragon Quest. YMMV on the charm factor but I quite enjoyed it.

Condemned: Criminal Origins is an interesting game. It (and the sequel, but that's not BC and I don't like it) is a first-person brawler, which I don't really think many of those exist. But it's also a crime scene/criminal investigation/horror-lite game and I enjoyed what it was putting down on that front and think more games should experiment with that kind of thing. I'm also a massive chickenwuss and wasn't too scared, so there's that too.

And for OG Xbox, while I've only put the disc in long enough to make sure it worked circa 2006, I remember Jade Empire having very positive word of mouth and being one of the killer apps for the console. Absolutely no idea whether it holds up in the least all these years later, but it's somewhere in my backlog to fire up all the same. :giggle

I would say if you're curious enough to give Lost Odyssey a whirl, go ahead and do Blue Dragon too. At least give it ~3 hours to experience one of the most insane(ly awesome) tonal whiplashes on the platform. :chuckle Lost Odyssey is to Final Fantasy what Blue Dragon is to Dragon Quest. YMMV on the charm factor but I quite enjoyed it.

Condemned: Criminal Origins is an interesting game. It (and the sequel, but that's not BC and I don't like it) is a first-person brawler, which I don't really think many of those exist. But it's also a crime scene/criminal investigation/horror-lite game and I enjoyed what it was putting down on that front and think more games should experiment with that kind of thing. I'm also a massive chickenwuss and wasn't too scared, so there's that too.

And for OG Xbox, while I've only put the disc in long enough to make sure it worked circa 2006, I remember Jade Empire having very positive word of mouth and being one of the killer apps for the console. Absolutely no idea whether it holds up in the least all these years later, but it's somewhere in my backlog to fire up all the same. :giggle
Cool, thanks for that! I'd never even heard of Condemned or Jade Empire. I was hesitant on Blue Dragon but hell, why not? It's going to be a bitch to try to acquire all these games though. I can't remember the list time I saw OG Xbox games for sale in Canada.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Totally agreed on Lost Odyssey and Blue Dragon, such great games! I only picked up Blue Dragon because I'm a sucker for Toriyama's character designs, but what a game it turned out to be!

Jade Empire was amazing! Does it hold up? It does, but it has some aspects that are a little quirky. Still completely worth a playthrough!

Fable, KotoR and Panzer Dragoon ANYTHING ❤️

Good luck tracking them down, Xbox games are slowly starting that upward climb in prices, but they're all worthwhile games for sure!! Going to be lots of fun ;)

Good luck tracking them down, Xbox games are slowly starting that upward climb in prices, but they're all worthwhile games for sure!!
Maybe, but comparatively a welcome reprieve after collecting GameCube games ☠️

One copy of Jade Empire brand new is apparently going for less than $20! I'm shocked these games haven't trended higher than GameCube games considering, y'know, you can still play them on modern hardware 😅

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Maybe, but comparatively a welcome reprieve after collecting GameCube games ☠️
Oh absolutely! GameCube is insane for pricing these days, not quite Saturn bad, but certainly not cheap.
One copy of Jade Empire brand new is apparently going for less than $20! I'm shocked these games haven't trended higher than GameCube games considering, y'know, you can still play them on modern hardware 😅
That's a good point, lol, but I think Xbox games are still just under the "old" radar, lol, so we get decebt deals...for now.

(Also that's a steal for Jade Empire!!)

The nostalgia just isn't there for the most part. Generally if someone owned the original Xbox, they were buying it for dudebro things like Halo/2 and prettier Madden. Maybe some Project Gotham Racing or Rare's output (lol). Jade Empire sold well at the time but it's more than 20 years old so presumably most people still nostalgic for it already have a copy. And/or just went digital via Xbox/Steam.

If you want something more expensive to pine after:

These are 1) backwards compatible and 2) janky Fromsoft games. First game doesn't seem super pricey ($30~$40) but the second game is in the $60~$70 range. I haven't played either so I don't know if they're actually worth pursuing. (Although if you're super curious, both are available digitally for a more reasonable $20 a shot.)

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder

These are 1) backwards compatible and 2) janky Fromsoft games. First game doesn't seem super pricey ($30~$40) but the second game is in the $60~$70 range. I haven't played either so I don't know if they're actually worth pursuing. (Although if you're super curious, both are available digitally for a more reasonable $20 a shot.)
Also very good shouts! They're fun games, not amazing, but a good story with good gameplay, so well worth picking up!

"No racing" more or less just boils down to not putting Project Gotham Racing or Forza on the lists, so that part's easy enough.

Did some quick first-run passovers, compared Achievement/Trophy listings, and then hit up Google to find other things that I may have overlooked. Lots of stuff missing, couple of things on the lists that shouldn't be, relative quality not super factored in (though these started as lists of things I want[ed] to play, so...) and doesn't really factor in what's physical/digital only. So very much early draft/Work-in-Progress sort of deal. But yeah.

Helpful website: http://xbmcxbox.blogspot.com/2013/05/list-of-original-xbox-exclusives.html

Azurik: Rise of Perathia
Blinx 2 : Masters of Time and Space
Blinx: The Time Sweeper
Brute Force
Conker: Live & Reloaded (A remake/remaster of the N64 game, also available minimally through Rare Replay on Xbone)
Crimson Sea
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Dino Crisis 3
Fable (Remake/Remaster available on X360)
Fable: The Lost Chapters (May be included in the above, I don't really know about Fable)
Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel
Fuzion Frenzy
Galleon : Islands of Mystery
Gun Metal
GunGriffon : Allied Strike
GunValkyrie
Halo 2 (Remake/Remaster via Master Chief Collection on Xbone)
Halo: Combat Evolved (X360 and Xbone Remakes/Remasters)
Hunter : The Reckoning : Redeemer
Iron Phoenix
Jade Empire
Jet Set Radio Future
Kingdom Under Fire: Heroes
Kingdom Under Fire: The Crusaders
MechAssault
MechAssault 2: Lone Wolf
Murakumo: Renegade Mech Pursuit
Myst IV: Revelation
NightCaster
NightCaster II : Equinox
Ninja Gaiden (See below)
Ninja Gaiden Black (Sigma is on PS3 IIRC, technically same game but not quite)
Oddworld : Munch's Oddysee (Feels like something that should be available elsewhere by now)
Oddworld : Stranger's Wrath (See above)
OutRun 2
Panzer Dragoon Orta
Phantom Dust (Xbone version is a remake I think)
Scrapland
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (Off-hand I know Switch has been getting a lot of these old SW games, not sure about KOTOR)
Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords
Sudeki
The Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay (No longer exclusive, also remake/remaster on X360)
The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
Thief: Deadly Shadows
ToeJam & Earl III : Mission to Earth
Unreal Championship
Unreal Championship 2: The Liandri Conflict
Unreal II: The Awakening
Voodoo Vince
Yu-Gi-Oh! The Dawn of Destiny (Just a traditional YGO game, so "technically" available all over the place)

Helpful list:

X360 Non-Backwards Compatible (Yet?)
Condemned 2: Bloodshot
Culdcept SAGA (Different entries in the series with different cards and boards on PS2 and 3DS)
Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom
MagnaCarta 2
Ninety-Nine Nights
Ninety-Nine Nights II
Ninja Blade
Operation Darkness
Phantasy Star Universe (Also on PS2)
Spectral Force 3: Innocent Rage
Tenchu Z
The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai
The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile
The Last Remnant (PS3 version was cancelled, a digital-only PS4 Remaster now exists)
Zoids Assault

X360 Backwards Compatible
Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts & Bolts
Beautiful Katamari
Blue Dragon
Condemned: Criminal Origins
Crackdown
Crackdown 2
Divinity II: The Dragon Knight Saga
Enchanted Arms (PS3 version may exist that just doesn't have Trophy support)
Fable Anniversary
Fable II
Fable III
Gears of War (Remake/Remaster available on Xbone)
Gears of War 2
Gears of War 3
Gears of War: Judgment
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved
Geometry Wars: Retro Evolved²
Ghostbusters: The Video Game (Multiplat, but the X360 version's servers still work)
Guardian Heroes
Halo 3 (Can get inside Master Chief Collection on Xbone)
Halo 3: ODST (Can get inside Master Chief Collection on Xbone)
Halo Wars
Halo: Combat Evolved Anniversary (Can get inside Master Chief Collection on Xbone)
Halo: Reach (Can get inside Master Chief Collection on Xbone)
ilomilo
Infinite Undiscovery
Insanely Twisted Shadow Planet
Kameo: Elements of Power
Lost Odyssey
Ms. Splosion Man
Ninja Gaiden II (Sigma 2 is on PS3, technically the same game but not quite)
Overlord (PS3 version may exist that just doesn't have Trophy support)
Perfect Dark (Also part of Rare Replay)
Perfect Dark Zero] (Also part of Rare Replay)
Radiant Silvergun
Shadow Assault Tenchu
Splosion Man
The Darkness (PS3 version may exist that just doesn't have Trophy support)
The Maw
The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
Too Human
Viva Piñata
Viva Piñata: Party Animals
Viva Piñata: Trouble In Paradise

External Sources Say (Need to look up later):
Bomberman Live
Bomberman Live: Battlefest
Comic Jumper: The Adventures of Captain Smiley
Dead or Alive 4
Full Auto (I think racing is secondary to pew-pewing, but...)
Fuzion Frenzy 2
Jetpac Refuelled
NIN2-JUMP
Portal: Still Alive
Raskulls
Saints Row (Remake exists on future PS and XB consoles, may be of dubious quality)
SpongeBob SquarePants: Underpants Slam

Honestly this will end up being 99.9% first-party stuff and indies with maybe temporary exclusivity deals.

Starting points:

Why is the OG Xbox list missing Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge?

It's an OG Xbox exclusive. It's also backwards compatible on the 360 and XBONE. It plays really well on the 360. Great game.

Ooooh, I never heard of these before. I'll absolutely pick these up at some point. I love me some 6th gen action-jank

Why is the OG Xbox list missing Crimson Skies: High Road to Revenge?

It's an OG Xbox exclusive. It's also backwards compatible on the 360 and XBONE. It plays really well on the 360. Great game.
'Cause Crimson Sea and Crimson Skies weren't originally on the list 'cause I don't have any particular interest in either, and when manually adding things while clicking on familiar-sounding titles via GameFAQs's database that I thought may be exclusive I managed to click on Sea but not Skies. :tease

They're both in the link I dropped in the spoiler, though!

Tons of stuff probably missing in the X360 list too. For that I just looked at my own collection and started removing whatever definitely had PS3 versions, then used TT/PSNP to compare achievement and trophy lists to try and quickly account for remasters/remakes.

aight I kind of made an impulse XS1X (what a dumb name) purchase today. I don't intend to actually play it any time soon (I have a big chongus-sized PS and Switch backlog already and I mostly want older physical games), but I feel like the console might go up in price in the future when the physical disc drive version is phased out. Idk, maybe I'm being paranoid.

FWIW I never intended on owning an Xbox console but there's huge value in owning a console that plays 4 generations' worth of games. I still don't have a PS5... waiting on the inevitable slim.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
XS1X (what a dumb name)
I don't think they've ever had a good name for a console, lol.

The Xbox, it's a box...with an X
The Xbox 360...we turned it right 'round baby, right 'round.
The Xbox One...because it's third.
The Xbox Series...because we've named ourselves into a conundrum.

Still a good console to pickup, though, just wish the expansion drives weren't so damn expensive!!

I don't think they've ever had a good name for a console, lol.

The Xbox, it's a box...with an X
The Xbox 360...we turned it right 'round baby, right 'round.
The Xbox One...because it's third.
The Xbox Series...because we've named ourselves into a conundrum.

Still a good console to pickup, though, just wish the expansion drives weren't so damn expensive!!
You kind of have to admire Microsoft's ability to provide increasingly worse names for four consoles in a row. That's impressive.

Oh man - those names? They start dumb and then get dumber when you learn why they're named that way! :chuckle

So the Xbox 360? That was actually named that way... because Microsoft thought calling it Xbox 2 would make it sound inferior to PlayStation 3. :facepalm

The Xbox One? Well... that one's about as dumb as any other reason. It's just short for Xbox: All-in-One or Xbox: One (Source for Entertainment) or something along those lines. It's the Xbox One X that's truly special here. Do you know what the acronym for that is? ...It's XBOX. 😂

So why are the Series units called S and X? Why does official branding use | to separate them? Well... S|X. Six. It's the Xbox 6 > PlayStation 5, baby! :nuts

but I feel like the console might go up in price in the future when the physical disc drive version is phased out. Idk, maybe I'm being paranoid.
Hard to guess on that, but... I can certainly see it happening. There's a reasonable amount of demand even now for BC PS3s, so - Xboxes with disc drives that are effectively the only way many games can be played outside emulation? Totally possible.

There are so, so many good X360 games that aren't BC and between those and Xbox achievements, X360 consoles are still relatively pricey on Ebay.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Oh man - those names? They start dumb and then get dumber when you learn why they're named that way! :chuckle

So the Xbox 360? That was actually named that way... because Microsoft thought calling it Xbox 2 would make it sound inferior to PlayStation 3. :facepalm

The Xbox One? Well... that one's about as dumb as any other reason. It's just short for Xbox: All-in-One or Xbox: One (Source for Entertainment) or something along those lines. It's the Xbox One X that's truly special here. Do you know what the acronym for that is? ...It's XBOX. 😂

So why are the Series units called S and X? Why does official branding use | to separate them? Well... S|X. Six. It's the Xbox 6 > PlayStation 5, baby! :nuts
Blow Your Mind Wow GIF by Product Hunt

Can you give me your top 3? I'm curious -- especially if they're exclusive.

Also I'd be too afraid of my Xbox 360 RRODing.
With the slims, I don't think they RRoD - but the disc drives do go out, which is a pain. But also kind of semi-avoidable by just installing everything instead of running the drive constantly.

Non-BC + Exclusive + Physical (+ Things I can comment on at all lol) is pretty limited. But:

1) Operation Darkness. With an asterisk 'cause you have to like SRPGs. It's by far the most unique SRPG I've played to date; it's all about soldiers with varying types of guns, instead of swords and magic. Ranges are enormous, cover matters, enemy backup appears in most missions and can instantly screw you over if you're not in a good formation. Also, tanks. There are tanks. They can run you over and instantly kill you... because they're tanks! But yeah; game makes extensive use of both normal turns and counter/trap attacks, insofar that you can say set up a sniper (or two) and any enemy that moves within their range of effect gets shot at. Kind of like a Poison tick or something in practice, but super satisfying. Also the game is hard as hell and actually requires the "Strategy" part more than the "Simulation" part.

2) MagnaCarta 2. Actually, I ended up really enjoying this one a fair bit. On paper it's basically something like a cross between, like, FF12 and... hmm... I used to have a really good second game that fit this slot, but I'm drawing a blank. Maybe Valkyrie Profile? IDK. Anyway! It's vaguely similar to FF12, but a bit more action-oriented and you can do combos between party members and such. Story wasn't the worst thing ever, either.

3) Ninja Blade. Asterisk insofar that I didn't get super far into it. But, again, Fromsoft. Kinda-sorta a cross between Ninja Gaiden and OG God of War (insofar that it loves QTEs).

4) Raiden Fighters Aces. I mean technically not exclusive-exclusive maybe, this is a compilation of 3 Raiden games - Raiden Fighters, Raiden Fighters 2 and Raiden Fighters Jet. They're also just, y'know, shm'ups. Other non-Fighters Raiden games are available on both Xbox and PlayStation.

5) Culdcept Saga. Asterisk that you need to enjoy board games (Monopoly, in particular) and card games. And be okay with either taking lumps, or casually farming for cards until you get a good/fun enough deck to progress with. Story matches take anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes a piece, and I like the premise... but, I don't know for certain that it's something I could wholeheartedly recommend to anyone. Plus there are different games in the series available on different platforms, like Culdcept Revolt on the 3DS.

6) Zoids Assault. Another SRPG, with kind of a unique take. You get 5 units that you play with the entire game, and that's it. You can make slight changes to their equipment - 3 armor varieties, some chips to increase certain stats if memory serves, that's about it - otherwise it's kind of one part SRPG and one part puzzle game. High emphasis on creating synergy between your units to facilitate assist attacks (so, double/triple/etc attacks depending positioning) and counter attacks. Obviously had a shoestring budget, but again - if you like SRPGs here, there's a lot to enjoy.

7) Condemned 2: Bloodshot. I didn't like it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad game. Also I played it on the hardest difficulty which, y'know, are notoriously unfair and obnoxious - so I was getting one-shot left, right and center by all manner of quickly moving enemies and whatnot. :shrug Much higher emphasis on shooting, albeit with some stupid gimmicks attached (your character is an alcoholic and their hands are unsteady unless they find booze, which wears off after a few minutes), and the brawler and investigation stuff is what I would just generally label as "worse." Couple of... crazy setpiece moments though. For better or worse.

8) Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom. Seemed serviceable, but mediocre. Reminded me a lot of something like Drakengard 3, just a bit more polished and without as many performance issues.

Technically fits the criteria, but meh...

9) Spectral Force 3: Innocent Rage. The "best" of the Idea Factory/Compile Hearts games I've played. Story basically doesn't exist, there are character interactions but they have zero context and mean nothing to people that aren't/weren't deep into Generations of Chaos lore (so, not me). But the actual gameplay itself was... okay. Basically it's a more or less standard SRPG, but attacks come in Light, Medium and Heavy varieties that you can choose. Different attacks have different attributes, like knocking enemies into the fair, to the ground, pulling them forward or pushing them backward. You can combo, and do chains with just singular units too. It could be interesting. But it's very, very grindy - which is a hallmark/staple of basically every IF/CH game I've played.

With the slims, I don't think they RRoD - but the disc drives do go out, which is a pain. But also kind of semi-avoidable by just installing everything instead of running the drive constantly.

Non-BC + Exclusive + Physical (+ Things I can comment on at all lol) is pretty limited. But:

1) Operation Darkness. With an asterisk 'cause you have to like SRPGs. It's by far the most unique SRPG I've played to date; it's all about soldiers with varying types of guns, instead of swords and magic. Ranges are enormous, cover matters, enemy backup appears in most missions and can instantly screw you over if you're not in a good formation. Also, tanks. There are tanks. They can run you over and instantly kill you... because they're tanks! But yeah; game makes extensive use of both normal turns and counter/trap attacks, insofar that you can say set up a sniper (or two) and any enemy that moves within their range of effect gets shot at. Kind of like a Poison tick or something in practice, but super satisfying. Also the game is hard as hell and actually requires the "Strategy" part more than the "Simulation" part.

2) MagnaCarta 2. Actually, I ended up really enjoying this one a fair bit. On paper it's basically something like a cross between, like, FF12 and... hmm... I used to have a really good second game that fit this slot, but I'm drawing a blank. Maybe Valkyrie Profile? IDK. Anyway! It's vaguely similar to FF12, but a bit more action-oriented and you can do combos between party members and such. Story wasn't the worst thing ever, either.

3) Ninja Blade. Asterisk insofar that I didn't get super far into it. But, again, Fromsoft. Kinda-sorta a cross between Ninja Gaiden and OG God of War (insofar that it loves QTEs).

4) Raiden Fighters Aces. I mean technically not exclusive-exclusive maybe, this is a compilation of 3 Raiden games - Raiden Fighters, Raiden Fighters 2 and Raiden Fighters Jet. They're also just, y'know, shm'ups. Other non-Fighters Raiden games are available on both Xbox and PlayStation.

5) Culdcept Saga. Asterisk that you need to enjoy board games (Monopoly, in particular) and card games. And be okay with either taking lumps, or casually farming for cards until you get a good/fun enough deck to progress with. Story matches take anywhere from 15 to 45 minutes a piece, and I like the premise... but, I don't know for certain that it's something I could wholeheartedly recommend to anyone. Plus there are different games in the series available on different platforms, like Culdcept Revolt on the 3DS.

6) Zoids Assault. Another SRPG, with kind of a unique take. You get 5 units that you play with the entire game, and that's it. You can make slight changes to their equipment - 3 armor varieties, some chips to increase certain stats if memory serves, that's about it - otherwise it's kind of one part SRPG and one part puzzle game. High emphasis on creating synergy between your units to facilitate assist attacks (so, double/triple/etc attacks depending positioning) and counter attacks. Obviously had a shoestring budget, but again - if you like SRPGs here, there's a lot to enjoy.

7) Condemned 2: Bloodshot. I didn't like it, but that doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad game. Also I played it on the hardest difficulty which, y'know, are notoriously unfair and obnoxious - so I was getting one-shot left, right and center by all manner of quickly moving enemies and whatnot. :shrug Much higher emphasis on shooting, albeit with some stupid gimmicks attached (your character is an alcoholic and their hands are unsteady unless they find booze, which wears off after a few minutes), and the brawler and investigation stuff is what I would just generally label as "worse." Couple of... crazy setpiece moments though. For better or worse.

8) Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom. Seemed serviceable, but mediocre. Reminded me a lot of something like Drakengard 3, just a bit more polished and without as many performance issues.

Technically fits the criteria, but meh...

9) Spectral Force 3: Innocent Rage. The "best" of the Idea Factory/Compile Hearts games I've played. Story basically doesn't exist, there are character interactions but they have zero context and mean nothing to people that aren't/weren't deep into Generations of Chaos lore (so, not me). But the actual gameplay itself was... okay. Basically it's a more or less standard SRPG, but attacks come in Light, Medium and Heavy varieties that you can choose. Different attacks have different attributes, like knocking enemies into the fair, to the ground, pulling them forward or pushing them backward. You can combo, and do chains with just singular units too. It could be interesting. But it's very, very grindy - which is a hallmark/staple of basically every IF/CH game I've played.
First of all, I really appreciate this post. Seriously. You put a lot of time and effort into it and it was really interesting reading about the different games.

Of the ones you mentioned Condemned 2, Ninja Blade, and Operation Darkness are the only ones that jump out at me.

I've since looked into Ninja Blade and I've seen MULTIPLE people say it's the worst game they ever played, so I think I'll take a pass on that one. 😂

Operation Darkness sounds very unique and interesting, but I'm not huge on SRPGs tbh. Most Fire Emblem games annoy me, so I feel like this might be even less for me.

Condemned 2 sounds interesting. Hopefully I'll be able to check that out at some point, but if not, no big loss.

Also @Raine interestingly enough I can get a brand new 360 Slim for the equivalent of $270 USD in this part of the world. Quick glance at eBay tells me they go for a lot more than that in the west.
Yeah, I think probably closer to like $350~$400 for a new Slim. Something like that.

We've bought a couple of used Slims via Ebay in the $150~$175 range, to have backups (and maybe eventually spare parts if necessary), and so far 1) they've all worked flawlessly and 2) they weren't banned from XBL. The latter is more the concern from otherwise "trusted" sellers, I think, since people loved to "Jtag" their consoles back in the day. And I mean probably still do.

I would be remiss to not mention that the Xbox Xenia emulator is actually apparently pretty good. Not sure how good these particular games would run since most are more niche (which regretfully is why they didn't make the BC cut). But it's honestly a lot of money to try buying the console and games for mild curiosity reasons, y'know?

Not too into emulation tbh, except for pre-3D consoles. Idk why, I just feel like there's less finagling to get those older games to run well.

I'm considering buying a couple of Xbox 360 slims and selling them back home for a profit but I hate selling on eBay and after shipping and shit it probably wouldn't be worth the hassle

Completely understandable, yeah. Personally haven't done anything with emulators since the early 2000's - tried emulating Super Mario RPG, because that got rare/expensive and I never managed to finish the game when I rented it years prior. Ran like ass. Also emulated Pokemon Ruby/Sapphire pre-NA release, and... yeah, also ran like ass. :chuckle

And yeah, dunno if it would be worth the hassle on the resale consideration. There's still a real good market for second-hand X360 stuff in general because of the achievement community though. Lots of strange region variants and different language consoles and all that, that people want to get their hands on (for a time).

Really? I never had an issue with SMRPG or Emerald. Weird. I actually loved emulating Pokemon games because you could speed through all the BS.

Lots of strange region variants and different language consoles and all that, that people want to get their hands on (for a time).
This is fascinating too. I didn't know regional console variants were more prized for this reason. Do you have examples? Is there a Saudi variant? I know there is of the XSX, but I can't find anything on the 360.

This is fascinating too. I didn't know regional console variants were more prized for this reason. Do you have examples? Is there a Saudi variant? I know there is of the XSX, but I can't find anything on the 360.
Hmm, I don't immediately know of any Saudi variants at least but can't entirely rule out it existing. Microsoft was trying to expand pretty aggressively back then. Usually a list for a game would look something like this:

regions.jpg

EU variants are the most common, of course. Don't think I've ever seen an FR variant (probably because a lot of localization/publishing houses are based out of France to begin with), but DE/Germany is also quite common. You can see the stray Russian variant here too on the Games for Windows Live side, which - I'm not sure how many RU variants there are in general, but not a whole hell of a lot I would think? So, again, definitely can't rule out Saudi variants.

Looking for games that are pure exclusives like Ninja Gaiden, or games that are also available only on PC (Fable). Not interested in racing games.

Starfield is an Xbox only exclusive. Which reminds me, PS5 owners are not going to be happy about the Elder Scrolls 6 being exclusive to the Series X and future xbox consoles. They recently dropped a document saying so.

Sooooo I just learned that when you use the OG Xbox CD of San Andreas in the Xbox Series X, it actually downloads an Android/iOS remaster/port of the game... And that's fuckin weird.

Are there any other games this sort of thing happens with? What an annoying decision.
That is... very strange and fascinating. I suppose it would be the quickest and cheapest way to get an updated/upscaled port, but like... San Andreas has an actual Xbox 360 updated/upscaled port already. I can't fathom why they wouldn't just have the OG Xbox disc download that; Rockstar isn't realistically getting money from either. 🤔

Unfortunately I wouldn't have any idea of how many similar cases there are for things like this. You'd probably have to go deep into the weeds on like the Xbox subreddit or see if a group like Digital Foundry have done any testing and maybe have a running list somewhere?

Out of curiosity, is said Android/iOS port better than some of the more recent San Andreas attempts? I know people were super unhappy with the (original state of) GTA Trilogy remasters.

San Andreas has an actual Xbox 360 updated/upscaled port already
That's the version I'm referring to, and by all accounts it's a downgrade. The 360 version is the same as the iOS/Android version and has a bunch of bugs and graphical glitches and stuff.

But yeah they definitely seem to be better than the recent remaster disaster

The 360 version is the same as the iOS/Android version and has a bunch of bugs and graphical glitches and stuff.
Huh, never knew that! That's both disappointing and entirely unsurprising, sadly.

Makes me kind of sad that I don't have the PS2 disc anymore, since San Andreas is the only GTA to date that I've actually enjoyed playing. Although I assume neither PS2 or OG Xbox copies are super hard to come by for workaround purposes, if I were so inclined.

Huh, never knew that! That's both disappointing and entirely unsurprising, sadly.

Makes me kind of sad that I don't have the PS2 disc anymore, since San Andreas is the only GTA to date that I've actually enjoyed playing. Although I assume neither PS2 or OG Xbox copies are super hard to come by for workaround purposes, if I were so inclined.
PS2 version is considered definitive, but I was hoping to get the Xbox version and enjoy that on the XSX. Seems like it's not possible :(

Sooo I just learned that apparently the OG Vice City isn't playable on the Series X either. At this point I'm very seriously considering getting an Xbox 360 so I can play these two games. They're about $250 here brand new, which isn't that bad.

Yeesh.

edit: lmao apparently the game is BARELY backwards compatible on the 360 -- major lag while driving and a non-working radio

Last edited:
Rockstar's got quite the track record going there, good grief! Real antsy about Bully's prospects now, which I believe is the only game from them on my to-do list. :paranoid

I've played a good number of games on the Xbone via BC, and haven't encountered any problems yet. In fact, an achievement that bugged in one of the X360 Lego games actually fixed itself when I played it via Xbone BC. So this is all very unfortunate for first impressions!

Rockstar's got quite the track record going there, good grief! Real antsy about Bully's prospects now, which I believe is the only game from them on my to-do list. :paranoid

I've played a good number of games on the Xbone via BC, and haven't encountered any problems yet. In fact, an achievement that bugged in one of the X360 Lego games actually fixed itself when I played it via Xbone BC. So this is all very unfortunate for first impressions!
My anecdotal experience about playing Bully on Xbox 360 was that the game had no performance issues. But also, I am not a huge stickler for that stuff, and I definitely wasn't as a teenager (which is when I played it), so I might not have noticed any problems. I did get all of the achievements, so it couldn't have been that bad though.

Well, this was a short-lived adventure. I decided to return my XSX. I was finding that too many games I wanted to play weren't backwards compatible with it. I think I'm just going to buy an OG Xbox and Xbox 360 at some point. Unfortunately, the deal I found for a brand new 360 at $250 is gone. So, I'll make use of these suggestions some day in the distant future. Maybe work at getting through more of my backlog a bit first... Some day it will start to decrease.. right?

Some games do not work well despite no notes (MOH Frontline has poor framerate). Some work fine, despite the notes on the list (Armed and Dangerous worked fine).

Lemme know what you have and I can see if I've tried that game on the 360.

Crimson Skies works perfectly on the 360 and you should definitely play it.

Some games do not work well despite no notes (MOH Frontline has poor framerate). Some work fine, despite the notes on the list (Armed and Dangerous worked fine).

Lemme know what you have and I can see if I've tried that game on the 360.

Crimson Skies works perfectly on the 360 and you should definitely play it.
Flight games aren't really my jam but I planned to give this one a try at some point because of your recommendation. I'll probably pick up an OG Xbox too at some point. I really want to play Otogi 1 and 2 the most

Back
Top Bottom