Microsoft Xbox 360 Marketplace to close July 29th, 2024

Article:

The Xbox 360 Store Will Close July 2024, But You Can Keep Playing Your Favorite Games

This November will mark 18 years since Xbox 360 launched. It was a generation-defining console that invited many to jump into gaming for the first time and connect with friends around the world. Over the years, we’ve heard stories of players who found a lifelong love of games, starting with the likes of Kameo, Gears of War, Fable 2 and other Xbox 360 classics. We’re thrilled so many fans keep playing their favorite Xbox 360 games on Xbox 360, or on newer consoles via Backward Compatibility.

As we head toward 2024, we have a change to share about the Xbox 360 experience:

• On July 29, 2024, Xbox will stop supporting the ability to purchase new games, DLC, and other entertainment content from the Xbox 360 Store on the console and the Xbox 360 Marketplace (marketplace.xbox.com)
  • Related to this change, the Microsoft Movies & TV app will no longer function on Xbox 360, which means TV and movie content will no longer be viewable on your Xbox 360 after July 29th, 2024.

Between now and July 2024, you can continue purchasing games and DLC from the Xbox 360 Store and at the Xbox 360 Marketplace.

This change will not affect your ability to play Xbox 360 games or DLC you have already purchased. Xbox 360 game content previously purchased will still be available to play , not only the Xbox 360 console but also Xbox One and Xbox Series X|S devices via backward compatibility.

A lot has changed since the Xbox 360 launched in 2005. Technology has evolved, expectations from players have shifted, and we are focused on making Xbox Series X|S the best place to play now and in the future.

What has not changed is our commitment to preserving your ability to play the content you have already purchased on your preferred device, which means we are committed to supporting Xbox 360 gameplay for the foreseeable future – and you will still be able to play and re-download previously purchased content and connect with friends.

We hope to get ahead of some of your questions below:

Can I still play my Xbox 360 games after July 2024?

Yes, you will still be able to play the games you purchased on Xbox 360. If you purchased the game digitally or have a physical disc, you can still jump in and play. If you’ve deleted a game that you have purchased, but you want to play again, you’ll still be able to re-download it.

What about multiplayer games via the Xbox network? Can I still play with my friends?

Yes. Even after July 2024, you will still be able to play games and connect with friends through multiplayer on the games you purchased, as long as the publisher still supports the online servers. You can still save your games and progress to the cloud, and if you choose to continue any of those available games on Xbox One or Xbox Series X|S, those cloud saves will transfer over.

Can I still buy and play Xbox 360 backward-compatible titles?

There is no impact to purchasing or playing backward-compatible Xbox 360 titles. After July 29, 2024, you will still be able to purchase hundreds of great backward-compatible Xbox 360 and Original Xbox games and DLC on Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, and Xbox.com. We believe in celebrating gaming’s rich history and have worked hard to preserve as many games as possible through our backward-compatibility program. You can find the full list of backward-compatible titles here.

For those who wish to continue playing Xbox 360 games on Xbox Series X|S, we’ve taken the time to enhance those titles so they look and play better than ever before, while staying true to the original version. You can play those Xbox 360 titles with FPS Boost, Auto HDR, and faster loading times.

How can I continue to stream and download Microsoft Movies & TV content I purchased on Xbox 360?

The Microsoft Movies & TV app is available on Windows devices running Windows 10 or later, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X|S. Any content that you’ve purchased from the Xbox 360 Store will remain in your library and be available to view on such devices. In addition, all purchased Movies & TV content eligible for Movies Anywhere can always be streamed and downloaded on the Movies Anywhere app or site. For more information, see: Movies Anywhere on Microsoft Movies & TV.

Where can I get more information?

If you have more questions, please visit our support page at https://support.xbox.com/help/xbox-360/store/xbox-360-marketplace-update

This was inevitable without further investment, like a new X360 console running One/Series OS. Which Microsoft could easily afford as the #1 or #2 (depends on the day) company in the world, but alas.

Xbox 360 has been plagued with a multitude of issues over the last 2~3 years including problems with GamerTags logging in, mandatory game updates failing to properly download, and achievements from dozens of Xbox 360 games just straight up disappearing. Peer-to-Peer multiplayer and Live-hosted leaderboards have also been up and down without rhyme or reason, and companies like EA have recently been on a tear shuttering whatever games they still have in service left, right and center.

Plus, Sony announced - and then backpedaled, temporarily - the closure of the PS3 and PSVita Networks. With Microsoft now taking the bad optics, you should fully expect that re-announcement in the coming weeks.

For me, this won't immediately be a problem. I have all but ~$150 worth of DLC for any game on the platform I'm even vaguely interested in playing. But... once those servers are gone, and crucially once achievements no longer sync? I'm done with modern gaming. We don't have advertisers so I'll just openly say that from that point forward it's strictly playing my overwhelming backlog and straight-up fucking pirating shit. All 3 platform holders have utterly soured me. :thumbsdown

Shamelessly lifted from ResetEra, courtesy of one SmarmyJerkface:

SmarmyJerkface said:
Currently Purchasable Non-BC Digital Only Xbox 360 Releases Affected By This New Policy:

0D Beat Drop
1942: Joint Strike
Abyss Odyssey
Alien Rage
Alien Spidy
AMY
Ancients of Ooga
Anna - Extended Edition
Arkadian Warriors
Assault Heroes
Awesomenauts (Xbox 360)
Backbreaker Vengeance
Bastion (Xbox 360)
Batman: Arkham Origins Blackgate Deluxe Edition
Battle Academy
Battlezone
Bionic Commando: Rearmed
Black Knight Sword
Blade Kitten
Blazing Birds
Bloody Good Time
Boogie Bunnies
Brothers - A Tale of Two Sons (Xbox 360)
Bubble Bobble Neo!
Burnout CRASH!
Call of Duty Classic
Capsized
CellFactor: Psychokinetic Wars
Charlie Murder
Child of Light (Xbox 360)
Choplifter HD
CloudBerry Kingdom
Cobalt (Xbox 360)
Constant C
Crazy Machines Elements
CrazyMouse
Crimson Alliance
Deadliest Warrior: Battlegrounds
Deadlight
Death Tank
DeathSpank
Deep Black: Episode 1
Defenders of Ardania
Defense Technica
Diabolical Pitch
Dogfight 1942
Dollar Dash
Double Dragon II: Wander of the Dragons
Duke Nukem 3D
Dungeon Defenders
Dungeons & Dragons: Daggerdale
Dust: An Elysian Tail
Dustforce
Ecco the Dolphin
Exit
Exit 2
Fatal Fury Special
Fez
Final Exam
Fire Pro Wrestling
Fireburst
Freefall Racers
Frogger: Hyper Arcade Edition
Frozen Free Fall: Snowball Fight (Xbox 360)
Fruit Ninja Kinect
Full House Poker
Fusion: Genesis

Gel: Set & Match
Geon: Emotions
Giana Sisters: Twisted Dreams
Goosebumps: The Game (Xbox 360)
Gotham City Impostors
Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus
Guncraft: Blocked and Loaded
Happy Tree Friends: False Alarm
Haunt
Hell Yeah! Wrath of the Dead Rabbit
Hexodius
Home Run Stars
How to Survive
Hunter's Trophy 2 America
Hunter's Trophy 2 Australia
Hybrid
Ion Assault
JAM Live Music Arcade
Kinect Fun Labs: Air Band
Kinect Fun Labs: Avatar Kinect
Kinect Fun Labs: Battle Stuff
Kinect Fun Labs: Bobble Head
Kinect Fun Labs: Build A Buddy
Kinect Fun Labs: Googly Eyes
Kinect Fun Labs: I Am Super!
Kinect Fun Labs: Junk Fu
Kinect Fun Labs: Kinect Me
Kinect Fun Labs: Kinect Rush: Snapshot
Kinect Fun Labs: Kinect Sparkler
Kinect Fun Labs: Mars Rover Landing
Kinect Fun Labs: Musical Feet
Kinect Fun Labs: Mutation Station
Kinect Sports Gems: 10 Frame Bowling
Kinect Sports Gems: 3 Point Contest
Kinect Sports Gems: Boxing Fight
Kinect Sports Gems: Darts vs. Zombies
Kinect Sports Gems: Field Goal Contest
Kinect Sports Gems: Penalty Saver
Kinect Sports Gems: Ping Pong
Kinect Sports Gems: Prize Driver
Kinect Sports Gems: Reaction Rally
Kinect Sports Gems: Ski Race
King's Quest (Xbox 360)
Leedmees
Legend of Kay - Anniversary
Life is Strange (Xbox 360)
LocoCycle (Xbox 360)
Lucidity

Mark of the Ninja
Marvel Puzzle Quest: Dark Reign (Xbox 360)
Masquerade: The Baubles of Doom (Xbox 360)
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood (Xbox 360)
Mensa Academy
Meteos Wars
MicroBot
Mighty No. 9 (Xbox 360)
Minesweeper Flags
Mini Ninjas Adventures
Mortal Kombat Arcade Kollection
Naughty Bear: Panic in Paradise
NCAA Basketball 09 March Madness Edition
NFL Blitz
Panzer General: Allied Assault
Penny Arcade Adventures: Episode 1
Penny Arcade Adventures: Episode 2
Pinball FX2 (Xbox 360)
Prison Architect
Puzzle Arcade
PUZZLE BOBBLE Live!
Puzzle Chronicles
R.B.I. Baseball 14 (Xbox 360)
Rainbow Islands: Towering Adventure!
RayStorm HD
Red Johnson's Chronicles: One Against All
Rekoil: Liberator
Renegade Ops
Resident Evil (Xbox 360)
Resident Evil 0 (Xbox 360)
Risk (Xbox 360)
Risk: Urban Assault (Xbox 360)
Rocket Riot
RocketBowl
Rotastic
Rush'N Attack: Ex-Patriot

Sanctum 2
Scene It? Movie Night: Mega Movies
Schizoid
Sealife Safari
Section 8: Prejudice
Skulls of the Shogun
South Park Let's Go Tower Defense Play!
South Park: Tenorman's Revenge
Space Invaders Extreme
Spare Parts
Spyglass Board Games
Star Raiders
State of Decay
Storm
Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting
Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike Online Edition
Streets of Rage 2
Strider (Xbox 360)
Super Time Force (Xbox 360)
Syberia 2
Takedown: Red Sabre
Tempest
The Bluecoats - North vs South
The Book of Unwritten Tales 2 (Xbox 360)
The Bridge (Xbox 360)
The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai
The Dishwasher: Vampire Smile
The Escapists (Xbox 360)
The Fancy Pants Adventures
The Path of Go
Things on Wheels
Thunder Wolves
TiQal
TNT Racers
Totemball
Trials Fusion (Xbox 360)
Trivial Pursuit Live! (Xbox 360)
Tron
Valiant Hearts: The Great War (Xbox 360)
Vigilante 8 Arcade
Virtua Striker
Voodoo Dice
War World
Warlords
Warp
Who Wants to Be a Millionaire? Special Editions
Wing Commander Arena
Wits & Wagers
Wreckateer
Wrecked: Revenge Revisited
Yar's Revenge
Yie Ar Kung-Fu
Yo-Ho Kablammo
Yu-Gi-Oh! 5D's Decade Duels Plus
Yu-Gi-Oh! Millennium Duels
Zeit²
Zeno Clash II
Zeno Clash: Ultimate Edition
Zombie Driver HD
Zombie Wranglers

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

Microsoft is closing the Xbox 360 Store in July, which now means you have a little less than three months to purchase any non-backwards compatible Xbox games before they're delisted for good.

If you somehow missed it last year, Microsoft announced it was shutting down the Xbox 360 Store on July 29, 2024. This means that from July 29, you will no longer be able to purchase any content from the storefront, including games, trials, add-ons, avatar items, apps, gamerpics, game trailers, and videos. As a result of the shutdown, any digital-only games and DLC expansions that are not backwards compatible will be delisted and lost to the digital ether.

To get a handle on what games and DLC will be lost, TrueAchievements member LuckyKant has created a huge list of all the content that can only be purchased on the Xbox 360 storefront and will be gone for good by the end of July. This list (or there is a Google Sheet if you prefer) provides an excellent breakdown of the digital-only non-backwards compatible games that are still up for purchase and even includes information on discontinued and unobtainable achievements. If you're looking to fill out your digital Xbox 360 collection ahead of the closure, make sure you have a good flick through this invaluable resource.

As a reminder, you will still be able to download any previously purchased Xbox 360 games once the store is shut down. Xbox 360 online services are also unaffected by the closure, so you will still be able to play 360 titles online provided a game's servers are still live. Backwards compatible Xbox 360 games will still be available for purchase via the Microsoft Store.

Yeah, I need to remember to buy a bunch of games before the store goes away. I'm disappointed I can't get Daytona USA, though. I'd have to get an Xbox One for that. I can only play the trial. There are a few SNK fighting games, and the full MK trilogy still available on the service. Also, I still have Outrun Arcade, which was a barebones version of Coast2Coast, if I lose that, it's gone forever because it's not available on the store anymore.

TBH, I was surprised to find that it was still open after all this time. The 360 was launched in 2005. The Wii and Wii U stores got closed forever ago.

TBH, I was surprised to find that it was still open after all this time. The 360 was launched in 2005. The Wii and Wii U stores got closed forever ago.
It's one of the things that's going to bite Nintendo in the ass, I feel, if it hasn't already. NDS, Wii, 3DS, Wii U - it's all gone. All the digital-only games, all the extra content, eventually all of the pertinent patches to make some of the games even work. The only way you can get anything you don't already have is through custom firmware... and once you know about custom firmware, how to do it, etc., I can't fathom why someone would then spend money on the Switch/S2 ecosystem knowing that'll eventually go the same way.

I mean for fuck's sake, they broke Pokemon continuity?!

Anyway I should probably think about working on The Abyss some more, so I can make sure I have everything I want on the DLC front.

Buying games on the 360 has been a pain. It seems the credit card system on the console no longer works. You have to buy the game from xbox.com. The issue is that you can't sort games via the 360. Only Windows, XBONE, and Series S/X. You have to know what game your trying to buy. I don't know how fast the games reflect to your Xbox as purchased, so I only bought one until I see it pop up on my 360.

Back
Top Bottom