WrestleMania 40 Night 1 and 2 Results [4/6 and 4/7]

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Night 1
Rhea Ripley def Becky Lynch to retain the Women's World Championship

Austin Theory and Grayson Waller and The Awesome Truth def DIY, The New Day, New Catch Republic and The Judgment Day in a Ladder Match
-Awesome Truth won the Raw Tag Team Championship
-Theory and Waller won the SD Tag Team Championship

Rey Mysterio and Andrade def Santos Escobar and Dominik Mysterio

Jey Uso def Jimmy Uso

Bianca Belair, Jade Cargill and Naomi def Damage CTRL

Sami Zayn def GUNTHER to win the Intercontinental Championship

Roman Reigns & The Rock def Cody Rhodes & Seth Rollins

Night 2

Drew McIntyre def Seth Rollins to win the World Heavyweight Championship

Damien Priest def Drew McIntyre to win the World Heavyweight Championship
-Priest cashed in his MITB contract

Bobby Lashley & The Street Profits def Karrion Kross & AOP in a Philadelphia Street Fight

LA Knight def AJ Styles

Logan Paul def Kevin Owens and Randy Orton to retain the United States Championship

Bayley def Iyo Sky to win the Women's Championship

Cody Rhodes def Roman Reigns to win the Undisputed WWE Universal Championship

Happy to see Cody finally finishing the story. It was a decent match even if I felt the ending was a bit too messy for my tastes. I can overlook that considering my biggest complaint in the first place is them not giving Cody the win last year instead. There was no need to drag on Roman's title reign for another year since The Bloodline story had already run its course imo.

Felt the tag team match during the main event of night one was a slog. That said, I wasn't expecting much anyway given the circumstances with Rock not being able to work long matches and WWE not wanting to risk jeopardizing the world title matches. Other than that, the show was alright.

I have no idea how I missed this thread, so here's a random assortment of thoughts on the event:

The entire PLE was awesome, with the exception of Jey Uso vs. Jimmy Uso. Somehow, that entire match was just super kicks.

I'll start with Cody's story. The night 1 main event was surprisingly good. It was very long (45 minutes), but I was surprised that the Rock got so physical. All 4 men really showed up well, and the highlight was definitely the Rock going through the announce table followed immediately by Seth getting speared through the barricade.

The night 2 match was done well. To be honest, I didn't care that much what it ended up being as long as Cody won. In fact, pretty much my enjoyment of the entire weekend would not have held if Cody lost, so I'm extremely happy with the outcome.

The match of the weekend for me was Bayley vs. Iyo Sky. I'm a huge Bayley fan, and that match shows that she is better at selling an injury than probably anyone else on the roster. Lots of entertaining spots, and while I fear for the longevity of Damage Control without her, this is the story they were building to. Bayley got the most screwed by Rock's return, and the build for this match should have been even better, but this was the highlight of Mania for me.

Another great match was Seth Rollins vs. Drew McIntyre. Drew is, without question, the most enjoyable wrestler right now. His promos are insane, and his social media game is on point. He's the ultimate hater. I loved the immediate claymore to kick off the match and take advantage of Seth wrestling the night before. The ending of this match, with Drew taunting CM Punk and that leading to Damien Priest cashing in was the full circle moment for Drew's character. I'm honestly not sure how he even sustains the momentum of what he was doing here. Hopefully Punk is back soon because that feud will probably be the non-Cody highlight of the year. Also, shoutout to Seth Rollins, who was easily the Mania MVP. He was involved in 3 great matches, and while he wasn't the main focus of any of them, you can tell he did a lot of heavy lifting.

While I enjoyed the match, Sami Zayn vs. Gunther made zero sense to me. Firstly, it should have been Chad Gable in that spot, but that aside, this match was basically Gunther destroying Sami, and then him actually "Hulking Up" and getting the win. I don't understand (1) why it wasn't Gable to beat Gunther; (2) Why Sami was the one to beat Gunther; and (3) What Sami's story was supposed to be. Going into Mania, his whole story was that he couldn't find a spot on the Mania card. They clearly gave him this spot fairly late (I suspect Brock was going to face Gunther and Sami would either face Drew solo if there was no Punk injury or be in a triple threat with Drew and Seth). It's pretty clear I'm a huge Gable fan, and I hope he wins the title from Sami.

All of the other matches were fun. Even the two I had no excitement for (Philadelphia Street Fight and Rey Mysterio & Friends vs. Santos & Dom) were better than I expected.

My overall thought is that wrestling is more fun when titles change hands once in a while, and this PLE and the subsequent week of Raw/Smackdown proves that.

Not everything needs to be a build to Wrestlemania (or Summerslam). It seems like Rock vs. Cody, Roman vs. Seth, and Rock vs. Roman will all happen at some point in the future; possibly Mania or Summerslam. The women are definitely not getting a WM main event any time soon. Especially because even if you get past all of those fantasy matches, you have CM Punk vs. anyone being main event quality, and it's also possible none of those guys even hold the top titles by next Mania (Gunther could easily have one of them). I get it from WWE's perspective - they need to keep us hooked forever and not move things too fast, but the roster is crowded and it's hard for anyone to break through. You almost negate the progress of anyone rising up the card if main events are saved for these 4-5 guys.

Good news, everyone! WWE finally got rid of the penny tag team title design. The World Tag Team championship is back, albeit with a different design that's definitely a step up.
I actually kind of dug the original copper version of the modern tag titles.

It wasn't until the red- and blue-strapped silver versions that they looked like crap, IMO
Now those are proper tag belts and, along with the NWA's Ten Pounds of Gold (a/k/a the NWA Worlds' Heavyweight Championship) a damn fine looking belt.

Back
Top Bottom