What Other FOGs Were Fun?

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
I know, I know, we love the Wolf and Mafia games, not going to try and ever get rid of those, lol, but what else could suck up our free time?

I tried looking through the Wayback Machine to see what other FOGs were popular back then and found Survivor, Hangman threads, Ask A Stupid Question, Get A Stupid Answer, various Quizes, the GW Lottery game...lots of others, too. As someone who wasn't super active in the FOGs, I'm not sure which of these were popular, what would be worth trying to bring back, or if none of them were. Any from the past GW FOGs area that might be worth a try?

Decent point of reference, though nothing is properly archived: https://web.archive.org/web/2011053...y.php?s=338b60d08145bf1fc53e98a3abe35714&f=12

Most of the RTVG stuff was pretty popular, but it was also a bit of a beast to try and run. You'd have to come up with various challenges people could do online either solo or as a team in order to figure out immunities and whatnot.

I'm not sure it would translate well into the world where we all have access via phones either, but if someone wants to try that could be a fun experiment.

I don't even remember what the lottery game was. At first I thought you were talking about my lottery game, which was a survivor like one where all the voting was done by number and no one knew what number they had (aka the only way to make sure you move on to the next round is by getting immunity)

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Most of the RTVG stuff was pretty popular, but it was also a bit of a beast to try and run. You'd have to come up with various challenges people could do online either solo or as a team in order to figure out immunities and whatnot.

I'm not sure it would translate well into the world where we all have access via phones either, but if someone wants to try that could be a fun experiment.

I don't even remember what the lottery game was. At first I thought you were talking about my lottery game, which was a survivor like one where all the voting was done by number and no one knew what number they had (aka the only way to make sure you move on to the next round is by getting immunity)
Hmm. I wonder if there's a way to automate some of the tedium there...might have to start a bit of a planning thread on that!
I don’t think I participated in any FOG other than mafia/wolf. If I did it was rare
No worries, just looking for little extras to try around the site :)

I wonder how well something along the lines of an asymmetrical Cards Against Humanity or random Jackbox Party Game premise would translate?

But yeah, I'm in that same boat of really only having looked at FOG itself once Wolf/Mafia started up. Participated in some of the board-specific trivia games here and there prior, but that was about it unfortunately.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
I wonder how well something along the lines of an asymmetrical Cards Against Humanity or random Jackbox Party Game premise would translate?
That's a great idea, get a set of a few games setup, it'd be pretty fun!
But yeah, I'm in that same boat of really only having looked at FOG itself once Wolf/Mafia started up. Participated in some of the board-specific trivia games here and there prior, but that was about it unfortunately.
Yep, we need someone from the heyday or FOGs to really step in and let us know what worked and what didn't.

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I think the assassin game was kind of fun, but I don't think that'll work so well until we're at 100+ active members.

SQ, SA also had a couple themed ones as well in some popular subforums. 3 word story was another fairly popular one. Oh, I don't know about a general one or anything, but the Zelda forums had a Zelda riddle game. You'd pick an item, location, npc, whatever, and make a riddle around that. Usually whoever guessed it correctly would make the next one unless they wanted to pass it to someone else. That was very neat. There were a couple really inventive folks who could make a small breadcrumb trail into a riddle to come to the correct conclusion.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Yep, we need someone from the heyday or FOGs to really step in and let us know what worked and what didn't.

Well, there was GW City/Nation/World, which was probably the most popular FOG during its prime. That likely won’t appeal to today’s crowd, since it is predominantly an RP environment with threads as towns, cities, and eventually nations.

Then, there was Egg Pets, which was kinda like a Pokémon/NeoPets type thing, which I don’t see going over well with our crowd today either.

There were also text-based RPG’s like the one that got me my mod spot at GW… those are heavy to create, and we don’t really have the member base to support something that detailed right now.

I’m really drawing a blank on some of the others, though, and it’s a shame… because FOG used to be one of the most popular categories.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Thanks everyone, hopefully we can get together and start planning out one or two of these to help introduce new games into the fold. We may have to wait, as mentioned, until we get more active users for some, but a fair few of these should be able to start up now.

the Zelda forums had a Zelda riddle game. You'd pick an item, location, npc, whatever, and make a riddle around that. Usually whoever guessed it correctly would make the next one unless they wanted to pass it to someone else. That was very neat. There were a couple really inventive folks who could make a small breadcrumb trail into a riddle to come to the correct conclusion.
The Zelda riddle game was always fun. People got very creative with crafting them, and it was fun trying to figure them out.

family feud was fun. me bigdaddy and whoever else was on our team won the last time
That was a blast. I think it was you, me, @The Eye in the Sky! , @canadaguy , and JoetheShow. We were team Al Boreland.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Posing Fashion Show GIF by Laff

Back
Top Bottom