What kind of player are you?

What are you most interested in?

• Total voters

Nootie Plucker

Smart fella by day, fart smella by night
Been wanting to make this thread for a while now mainly because I think it's an interesting discussion, but also because I think it'll probably help the DMs cater things to people's interests. When I was first learning the game, there was a section in the Dungeon Master's Guide that I found really interesting because it describes the things most players enjoy about the game and I realized not everyone is in it for the same reason. I know the majority of people here don't have much experience with D&D, but when you read over this list, which things stick out to you the most as something you think you'd like?

Dungeon Master's Guide_0005.jpg

Additionally, what kind of campaign are you interested in in general? Short quests or a longer overarching story? Pre-made official adventures, or completely from-scratch homebrew worlds? Silly or serious? Strict or laidback?

Personally, I'm not a min-maxer, but I think I mainly fall under Optimizing, and then Acting and Storytelling. I'm the type of guy who spends hours in character creators, and I love the idea of coming up with a unique character and then trying to make decisions as that character as accurately as possible just to see their story. I like having a concept in mind and slowly choosing skills and spells over time that fit with their aesthetic. Maybe I want to be an ice-themed pirate. Maybe I want to see how a clown character would work, so I pick spells that I can reflavor into things like joy buzzers, balloon animals, or water-squirting flowers. As a result I also enjoy the Fighting and Problem Solving aspects because those give fun opportunities to see how creative I can be with the things I've chosen. I've never gotten to be a player, and I've only DM'd a single session when it comes to real D&D games, but ideally I think I'd prefer a longer story-driven campaign over other options. I'm interested in trying the pre-made adventure modules, but the idea of playing a full level 1 to 20 campaign in someone's homemade world has always sounded awesome to me. As far as seriousness goes, I'm kind of in between. I like a bit of both worlds but either extreme probably isn't great, and I've heard horror stories of both.

Zesty Zapcrackle

Shitposting Development Manager
I like having fun in these kinds of games. In video games, the options are nearly polar opposite of D&D for me. In video games, I like optimizing and combat. Especially in a game I'm replaying. I want to one-shot things.

In D&D though, I like exploring and problem solving. You're not offering physical input most of the time (outside the occasional dice roll), so being able to creatively use your character to affect the game world is appealing to me.

The only thing common to both for me is the storytelling. I'm a sucker for a good story and a well built world.

Dragmire

As a player, I'm sort of like the curious cat. Often times my characters get themselves into trouble because the party I'm in stumbles upon something and nobody knows what to do about it, so my character just... touches it. No plan or anything, just like a "well, I dunno what else to do so let's just touch it and see if anything happens." kind of situation. I don't really go out of my way to play a character to a particular alignment extreme and instead I sort of like causing stochastic surprising events to happen through my actions.

In combat though I like positioning. My favorite class is Warlock and my favorite thing to do in combat in this game is honestly to use the Eldritch Invocation "Repelling Blast" and just use Eldritch Blast to push enemies around the board to keep the board state advantageous for the party. So sort of like a Support role in that sense.

Tortle Dude

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
I wasn't sure how to vote on this one.

I read the graphic you shared and I kind of think I'm a bit of everything if that makes any sense.

I guess we'll need to wait and see how that translates.

Mine would be acting than storytelling than problem solving.

I like pretending to try to be something else. There are always pieces of me in my characters, but they have their own demeanor and even a certain way they speak.

Dungeon Master

Stoned Guardian
Just no gazebos.
cheetah chasing GIF

Tortle Dude

Now that I've had an actual chance to see how I play D&D, I've adjusted this to instead of all - 3 of them. I like all elements but looking to capture what I really enjoy.

:chuckle

I'll break it into tiers:
Tier 1: Acting, Problem Solving, Storytelling
Tier 2: Instigating
Tier 3: Exploring
Tier 4: Fighting
Tier 5: Optimizing

Last edited:

Zesty Zapcrackle

Shitposting Development Manager
I'm feeling like the majority of the players in my games are big into Instigating, which is pretty opposite to my style. Trying my best to keep these plates spinning lol
It's happening to Ben too, but he may be more happy for the narrative part. I like the investigation, but I personally would love a little more action. I think this is a limitation on the format honestly. In an actual sit down, the decisions are quicker, more rapid paced. I'd like to get onto the next area and either get into another combat or chat sooner than we are. I'm not complaining mind you. I'm enjoying it immensely and the craziness of our crew is meshing so well.

Tortle Dude

I'm feeling like the majority of the players in my games are big into Instigating, which is pretty opposite to my style. Trying my best to keep these plates spinning lol
From what I've seen - you've been doing quite well. I can imagine the obstacles DMs may encounter when trying to balance the playstyles of their adventurers.

OP
D&D Character

Nootie Plucker

Smart fella by day, fart smella by night
I'm thinking I like combat more than I thought I would. Maybe it's because I chose almost exclusively combat spells, but I feel like I enjoy strategizing in combat more than out of combat so far. I feel option paralysis when I have to actually investigate a problem, but maybe it's because I don't know anything about the city I'm in, so I can't really picture anything. I'm also kind of a shitty detective though if mafia games are any indication.

T'anks Kiraine

Chief Liquid Officer, Shitposting Dept.
Instigating is the closest to "I want to tinker with your game until it breaks under its own weight," so that's probably #1. :)

But puzzle/problem solving is part of what too.

And storytelling is the foundation of and consequence for said breaking, with which it's also easy to supplant acting with.

Meanwhile, exploring is a nice general kicker at all times.

Reactions: TD
Back
Top Bottom