What features keep you coming back to non-AAA games?

Lunar Kreskents

noping in a corner near you
GW Elder
I'm working on a small grid-based puzzle game with a client and we're contemplating what features keep people enjoying or returning to games over the long term. I do think that it's relevant this is a small game and a very small team of 1 developer, 1 artist, and 1 QA. It's tough to make a ton of content or do really complex things when the team is so small.

So I'm curious, especially when it comes to small games not made by AAA studios, what kinds of features keep you coming back or enjoying the game long term, and why?

Some ideas we had:
  • Unlockable special game pieces
  • Personalization of guide characters (e.g. Katamari Damacy cousin dress up)
  • Weekly challenges
  • Mini games
  • Unlockable additional guide characters
  • Beating a personal high score
  • Beating leaderboard high scores competitively
  • Environments that change with the real world season
  • Holiday themes or events that happen in-game
  • Features for sharing to social media
  • Unlockable collectibles like stamps, stickers, or other non-interactive items
  • A journal that fills up with the results of past games, that you can go back and review
  • Unlockable themes or skins for the game overall
  • Trivia relevant to the game's theme
  • Platform specific achievements
  • Keeping of personal categorical stats (e.g. Total play time ever, total number of puzzles completed ever. Total number of a specific thing completed ever)
  • Access to in-game tutorial documents which describe deeper strategy (e.g. using probability to your advantage, certain patterns to look for, etc.)
  • Deep strategy puzzles (i.e. like how there are chess puzzles with a setup prompting you to make the single best move towards a goal)
Or any other ideas!

I'd appreciate your perspectives on this and what types of features rank most highly for you, or what types of features rank so low that when you see it in a game it's a huge turn off.

:yoshi

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
You may like the book Getting Gamers by Jamie Madigan. It's about the psychology behind features in games that keep people coming back. It's been a while since I read it, but one thing that stands out in my memory is always giving them multiple things that are in progress. Have collectibles, quests, xp for levels, achievements, etc. Have enough different things to work on so the player is always close to completing something, and they won't want to put it down.

For example, I just started playing a new anagram game. The gameplay loop itself is fun, but in addition to that, there are lots of progress indicators. Every puzzle completed earns you a level. Every five puzzles gets you a chest to open, and the indicator of how close you are to the next one is shown after every puzzle. There are three simultaneous quests (e.g. get to a certain level, use X hints, find X bonus words) running at all times. There's a indicator for how close you are to a bonus for finding bonus words. You gain coins from puzzles, which let you build out your homes, which is done in a progressive manner (only three more things to build to finish this home!).

Most of the rewards are garbage. Do I care about the three gems I get from completing a quest? No. Do I care about how built my home is? Fuck no. Will I keep playing if I'm a couple puzzles away from completing either of those things? Absolutely yes! It doesn't matter if the material rewards are trivial. The reward is in checking off a box. Our brains really like it.

Another big thing our brains adore is an unexpected reward. Ever played Pokemon and found a shiny? It's the best! Shiny Pokemon are not functionally better in any way, they are just rare and unexpected and therefore so fun to find. I've seen grown adults jumping up and down with excitement over finding them. The anagram game I mentioned also implements this: when you find words, you have a chance to get a key. You won't know you're about to get it any more than you know your next Pokemon will be shiny. They aren't super useful, but every time it happens, I'm all, "oh cool, a key!" They also have chests with a slight chance of getting a really good reward, and a spinning wheel that has a jackpot prize. It's always very rewarding to get the rare and best prize, even when it's really not that great objectively.

The book is 300 pages, so it covers a lot more stuff, and I highly recommend it if you're making a game. I also recommend it for anybody who likes to read and play games. Once you know the tricks, you'll see them everywhere.

As for things that turn me off personally: anything that requires/nags me to link a social media account. By all means, have it as an option to share stuff or to easily add friends, but you should also support my Google account, because I am not making a Facebook account. If there's forever a red notification icon because I haven't linked my non-existent FB account, I'm going to get annoyed and stop playing.

My other pet peeve is ads. Yes, I get it, you (general "you" not you personally) need to make a living. I am not watching ads to help you do it. Give me a reasonable, one-time price to avoid all ads. If you really, really need to also have a bunch of unlimited optional ads available to watch to gain coins or whatever, and you don't want to let me have an infinite number of rewards for a one-time fee, then let me buy ad skips for whatever you would make per ad. BE REASONABLE. Your puzzle game doesn't warrant $20 a month and I'm sure you aren't making $2 an ad. Don't try and fleece me, just let me pay you directly instead of through an advertiser.

Lastly: don't nag me. Don't pop up a notice for anything more than once. If I have to close three pop-ups just to play the actual game, I am not going to play it, and I'm certainly not going to give you any money. Don't put blinking or moving reminders anywhere, or at least give me the option to turn them off. If you made something fun, let me enjoy it!

I'm working on a small grid-based puzzle game with a client and we're contemplating what features keep people enjoying or returning to games over the long term.
Mm... "grid-based" isn't painting a super great picture. That can work in a number of ways, from immensely simple 9x9 slide puzzle like things to something more abstract like, I don't know, Fez.

But Panel de Pon (Tetris Attack / Pokemon Puzzle League / Planet Puzzle League) and Catherine are some of the best puzzle games to ever exist. With enough ingenuity on the latter, because the core mechanisms aren't that advanced, I'm sure a small or one-person team could adapt it in a worthwhile way. Just two randomly pulled videos from the bowels of YouTube:

The puzzle genre is so over-saturated on every level that the hardest thing is actually standing out. Lightning in a bottle aside, I don't have the foggiest where or how one would have the best shot at accomplishing that.

A good starting question here would be: Is this a question that's being asked because the client wants to make the best game possible (which ostensibly has the knock-on effect of amassing a following for future releases) or because the client is considering options for recurrent spending within a single game?

Anyway...

Unlockable special game pieces - This sounds vaguely RPG-lite progression-esque, which usually turns me off of a game. It especially turns me off of a game if it's something that gets reset when you start over, or if your save file corrupts or something.

Personalization of guide characters (e.g. Katamari Damacy cousin dress up) - Pretty sure I've never spent more than a couple of minutes on this in 99% of games, if I've ever noticed the feature existed at all. When doing a Create-a-Character, outside of an MMO setting, typically whatever is on offer when the character is first created is what the character looks like throughout the entirety of my time with the game. I do not tend to even look at the in-game store as things are unlocked unless something in here is specifically required or there's an associated Xbox Achievement/PlayStation Trophy or something.

Weekly challenges - Kill it with fire. It's something that sounds good in theory, but immediately creates a scenario wherein I either feel like I'm being forced to deal with a time gate (Planet Puzzle League, for example, had a daily Training session - I would have preferred to do that multiple times a day when I was free, than try and remember to do it once a day) or I suck it up and do it, but the first time I miss a day/week I immediately lose all interest in doing it any more.

Mini games - Catherine has a mini game. It's the worst part of the entire game, somehow takes the same core game concept and makes it worse, and the time would have been better spent making another amazing stage puzzle or two to play with instead.

Unlockable additional guide characters - Mostly in the same boat as the personalization thing. Except I'll actually change the portrait/avatar/character if one unlocks that I like to look at more. ...Please for the love of Baphomet avoid the animu male gaze/Gacha nonsense. Cute? Awesome. Cool? Great. Tig ol' bitties flying across the screen? Delete! (but it clearly works...) :chuckle

Beating a personal high score - I have to already be super into the game and its mechanics for this to matter. Alternatively, the game needs to have achievements/trophies tied to this to force my hand - but the game also has to be good, or I'm using the achievements/trophies as justification for not bothering to play it to begin with. 🤔

Beating leaderboard high scores competitively - Global leaderboards are always hacked and meaningless. Friend leaderboards can be fun... if the game is popular and a lot of my friends play it. Big, huge If. Otherwise, don't care. I generally only compete against myself, as a means of general entertainment or to gauge whether or not I'm getting better at the game.

Environments that change with the real world season - Pissing money down the drain if you ask me. I barely noticed the seasons changing in a game like Pokemon, unless there's some sort of clever mechanic in play I can't imagine caring in a puzzle game. At best a "oh that's pretty," and then moving on. Certainly nothing that would get me to come back; if it's really good art I might Google search what the other ones look like for ~2 minutes. :shrug

Holiday themes or events that happen in-game - See above.

Features for sharing to social media - I'm not the target audience for this; I don't even have social media. But when I did, I didn't connect any of my gaming profiles to my social media accounts (even before all the privacy and tracking stuff came to light).

Unlockable collectibles like stamps, stickers, or other non-interactive items - Extraordinarily YMMV. I care about stuff like this in something like Smash Bros., where they're accompanied by stories and trivia and the like. If the puzzle game was themed after something interesting - maybe history, or I guess since I've brought it up Catherine has a bunch of random ass trivia regarding alcoholic beverages since it's technically set inside of a bar - then this could be a nice little bonus. I don't necessarily know how far out of my way I would go to unlock them, but I would probably enjoy the ones I did and they shouldn't be too intensive to whip up.

A journal that fills up with the results of past games, that you can go back and review - I love stats. Stats are awesome. Also see above about competing against myself to see how I've improved. Basically a leaderboard for yourself, so... yeah, that's cool.

Unlockable themes or skins for the game overall - See all of the above for personalization options. If something looks nice at the start, great! Though I think focusing just on three shades - bright, neutral and dark - and making those look really good would be better.

Trivia relevant to the game's theme - ...Oh. Hah! Yeah, see above.

Platform specific achievements - Overlooking the granular stuff of what types I personally like, yeah, I enjoy achievement hunting. The biggest thing is to try and make them clever, though there is absolutely an audience that will buy a game just because it has easy achievements. But they give zero fucks about the game itself 100% of the time, and unless you pump out lots of easy achievement games they won't remember your company.

Keeping of personal categorical stats (e.g. Total play time ever, total number of puzzles completed ever. Total number of a specific thing completed ever) - Mmm, stats. Not something to keep me coming back or keep playing, but it's amusing to look at how much I've done every now and again while playing or to just scroll through once I've finished before deleting the game.

Access to in-game tutorial documents which describe deeper strategy (e.g. using probability to your advantage, certain patterns to look for, etc.) - Always a good thing to have by default. Accessibility options too, depending on the exact nature of the game. Like don't just use colors for puzzles, match colors and shapes (so like Red could always also be a Heart, blue could always be a Teardrop, etc) so people with various types of visual limitations can still enjoy. If audio is involved, same thing - pair the audio cue with like a non-intrusive but noticeable wave ripple effect or something somewhere on the screen.

Deep strategy puzzles (i.e. like how there are chess puzzles with a setup prompting you to make the single best move towards a goal) - Loved things like this in Panel de Pon. Basically it gives you a half-completed board, gives you a number of moves to clear the board in, and lets you work out the best approach. Simultaneously teaches strategies and trains the player to look for certain patterns during the "main" game type.

I'm sure I could wall of next more but it's late so that's it for now. :chuckle

Lunar Kreskents

GW Elder
You may like the book Getting Gamers by Jamie Madigan. It's about the psychology behind features in games that keep people coming back. It's been a while since I read it, but one thing that stands out in my memory is always giving them multiple things that are in progress. Have collectibles, quests, xp for levels, achievements, etc. Have enough different things to work on so the player is always close to completing something, and they won't want to put it down.

For example, I just started playing a new anagram game. The gameplay loop itself is fun, but in addition to that, there are lots of progress indicators. Every puzzle completed earns you a level. Every five puzzles gets you a chest to open, and the indicator of how close you are to the next one is shown after every puzzle. There are three simultaneous quests (e.g. get to a certain level, use X hints, find X bonus words) running at all times. There's a indicator for how close you are to a bonus for finding bonus words. You gain coins from puzzles, which let you build out your homes, which is done in a progressive manner (only three more things to build to finish this home!).

Most of the rewards are garbage. Do I care about the three gems I get from completing a quest? No. Do I care about how built my home is? Fuck no. Will I keep playing if I'm a couple puzzles away from completing either of those things? Absolutely yes! It doesn't matter if the material rewards are trivial. The reward is in checking off a box. Our brains really like it.
Very interesting, thanks for sharing! What's the name of the game if you don't mind?

Another big thing our brains adore is an unexpected reward. Ever played Pokemon and foun a shiny? It's the best! Shiny Pokemon are not functionally better in any way, they are just rare and unexpected and therefore so fun to find. I've seen grown adults jumping up and down with excitement over finding them. The anagram game I mentioned also implements this: when you find words, you have a chance to get a key. You won't know you're about to get it any more than you know your next Pokemon will be shiny. They aren't super useful, but every time it happens, I'm all, "oh cool, a key!" They also have chests with a slight chance of getting a really good reward, and a spinning wheel that has a jackpot prize. It's always very rewarding to get the rare and best prize, even when it's really not that great objectively.

The book is 300 pages, so it covers a lot more stuff, and I highly recommend it if you're making a game. I also recommend it for anybody who likes to read and play games. Once you know the tricks, you'll see them everywhere.
I'm just a consultant not the game designer, I know client studies games and design and math a lot, but I do see the tricks everywhere. The harder thing I find isn't really having ideas, but narrowing down which are worth doing, and even harder, what's going to be fun and feasible and look good for a tiny tiny team to accomplish. I haven't really found a substitute for asking people, paper prototyping, and playtesting.

As for things that turn me off personally: anything that requires/nags me to link a social media account. By all means, have it as an option to share stuff or to easily add friends, but you should also support my Google account, because I am not making a Facebook account. If there's forever a red notification icon because I haven't linked my non-existent FB account, I'm going to get annoyed and stop playing.
This is good to know, thanks for sharing that!

My other pet peeve is ads. Yes, I get it, you (general "you" not you personally) need to make a living. I am not watching ads to help you do it. Give me a reasonable, one-time price to avoid all ads. If you really, really need to also have a bunch of unlimited optional ads available to watch to gain coins or whatever, and you don't want to let me have an infinite number of rewards for a one-time fee, then let me buy ad skips for whatever you would make per ad. BE REASONABLE. Your puzzle game doesn't warrant $20 a month and I'm sure you aren't making $2 an ad. Don't try and fleece me, just let me pay you directly instead of through an advertiser.

Lastly: don't nag me. Don't pop up a notice for anything more than once. If I have to close three pop-ups just to play the actual game, I am not going to play it, and I'm certainly not going to give you any money. Don't put blinking or moving reminders anywhere, or at least give me the option to turn them off. If you made something fun, let me enjoy it!
That's interesting to hear. Client's last game was a premium game for this reason (no free version) and that model didn't do too well. So it's interesting to hear that just paying a one-time price to avoid all ads might satisfy the same need while allow people to try a free first.

Super interesting, thanks for all these details!

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Very interesting, thanks for sharing! What's the name of the game if you don't mind?
It's called Game of Words, but most mobile games have similar mechanics. There's another one called Wordscape that's essentially the same core game but implements the progression stuff differently. In that one, there's always an event going on where you collect portraits or butterflies or crowns or some bullshit. I quit playing that one because I got a new phone and found out the hard way you can only transfer data using a FB account. It was also really naggy so I was getting annoyed at it anyway.

If you're looking for inspiration, I'd go download a bunch of games similar to yours and see what they do. Check the reviews and see what people compliment and what they complain about. Play them for yourself and see what you find engaging and what annoys you.

I suspect social media integration is a thing not because players like it, but because it's free marketing. Some people have a LOT of FB friends, and getting a few of those people to post about your game can get a lot of other people to play it. (I think that's also covered in the book I mentioned if you're curious for more details.) So it may be worth including despite Raine and I being completely uninterested in it.

Client's last game was a premium game for this reason (no free version) and that model didn't do too well.
Premium games do not sell on mobile. It's kinda weird and I don't completely understand why, but I'm guilty of it myself. I remember seeing Stardew Valley in the Play store and thought "ew gross, I'm not paying for a mobile game". Then I saw it was also on Switch and bought it there immediately. :shrug

Lunar Kreskents

GW Elder
Mm... "grid-based" isn't painting a super great picture. That can work in a number of ways, from immensely simple 9x9 slide puzzle like things to something more abstract like, I don't know, Fez.
:D I did leave it intentionally vague. I'm curious in general too about what kinds of games first come to mind. There's already a team of people over intellectualizing what could be fun, but it's also important to hear what people do actually play, and what the scope of those games are.

But Panel de Pon (Tetris Attack / Pokemon Puzzle League / Planet Puzzle League) and Catherine are some of the best puzzle games to ever exist. With enough ingenuity on the latter, because the core mechanisms aren't that advanced, I'm sure a small or one-person team could adapt it in a worthwhile way. Just two randomly pulled videos from the bowels of YouTube:

Thanks for these references!

The puzzle genre is so over-saturated on every level that the hardest thing is actually standing out. Lightning in a bottle aside, I don't have the foggiest where or how one would have the best shot at accomplishing that.

A good starting question here would be: Is this a question that's being asked because the client wants to make the best game possible (which ostensibly has the knock-on effect of amassing a following for future releases) or because the client is considering options for recurrent spending within a single game?
Client wants to make the best game possible. The over-saturation problem and finding an audience is definitely its own big problem. Client is self funded though and is able to make decisions towards making a game they feel they can be proud of, vs the highest earning game.

The game has luck based elements that could be approached more strategically if you understand probability and dice rolling, but is also a game that could be played by anyone casually, without thinking about stuff like that. A thing we'll have to decide is whether to cater towards a more strategic or a more casual crowd. But I'm curious what draws you all in as individuals. I'll have to sort the opinions at some point to see which things seem like a fit for which audiences, but it's helpful to gather the data to sort in the first place. Does strategizing with a mathematical mind keep you engaged in games long term? Or do you prefer more casual puzzle games? Do you approach games involving luck for fun or to win?

Anyway...

Unlockable special game pieces - This sounds vaguely RPG-lite progression-esque, which usually turns me off of a game. It especially turns me off of a game if it's something that gets reset when you start over, or if your save file corrupts or something.

Personalization of guide characters (e.g. Katamari Damacy cousin dress up) - Pretty sure I've never spent more than a couple of minutes on this in 99% of games, if I've ever noticed the feature existed at all. When doing a Create-a-Character, outside of an MMO setting, typically whatever is on offer when the character is first created is what the character looks like throughout the entirety of my time with the game. I do not tend to even look at the in-game store as things are unlocked unless something in here is specifically required or there's an associated Xbox Achievement/PlayStation Trophy or something.

Weekly challenges - Kill it with fire. It's something that sounds good in theory, but immediately creates a scenario wherein I either feel like I'm being forced to deal with a time gate (Planet Puzzle League, for example, had a daily Training session - I would have preferred to do that multiple times a day when I was free, than try and remember to do it once a day) or I suck it up and do it, but the first time I miss a day/week I immediately lose all interest in doing it any more.

Mini games - Catherine has a mini game. It's the worst part of the entire game, somehow takes the same core game concept and makes it worse, and the time would have been better spent making another amazing stage puzzle or two to play with instead.

Unlockable additional guide characters - Mostly in the same boat as the personalization thing. Except I'll actually change the portrait/avatar/character if one unlocks that I like to look at more. ...Please for the love of Baphomet avoid the animu male gaze/Gacha nonsense. Cute? Awesome. Cool? Great. Tig ol' bitties flying across the screen? Delete! (but it clearly works...) :chuckle

Beating a personal high score - I have to already be super into the game and its mechanics for this to matter. Alternatively, the game needs to have achievements/trophies tied to this to force my hand - but the game also has to be good, or I'm using the achievements/trophies as justification for not bothering to play it to begin with. 🤔

Beating leaderboard high scores competitively - Global leaderboards are always hacked and meaningless. Friend leaderboards can be fun... if the game is popular and a lot of my friends play it. Big, huge If. Otherwise, don't care. I generally only compete against myself, as a means of general entertainment or to gauge whether or not I'm getting better at the game.

Environments that change with the real world season - Pissing money down the drain if you ask me. I barely noticed the seasons changing in a game like Pokemon, unless there's some sort of clever mechanic in play I can't imagine caring in a puzzle game. At best a "oh that's pretty," and then moving on. Certainly nothing that would get me to come back; if it's really good art I might Google search what the other ones look like for ~2 minutes. :shrug

Holiday themes or events that happen in-game - See above.

Features for sharing to social media - I'm not the target audience for this; I don't even have social media. But when I did, I didn't connect any of my gaming profiles to my social media accounts (even before all the privacy and tracking stuff came to light).

Unlockable collectibles like stamps, stickers, or other non-interactive items - Extraordinarily YMMV. I care about stuff like this in something like Smash Bros., where they're accompanied by stories and trivia and the like. If the puzzle game was themed after something interesting - maybe history, or I guess since I've brought it up Catherine has a bunch of random ass trivia regarding alcoholic beverages since it's technically set inside of a bar - then this could be a nice little bonus. I don't necessarily know how far out of my way I would go to unlock them, but I would probably enjoy the ones I did and they shouldn't be too intensive to whip up.

A journal that fills up with the results of past games, that you can go back and review - I love stats. Stats are awesome. Also see above about competing against myself to see how I've improved. Basically a leaderboard for yourself, so... yeah, that's cool.

Unlockable themes or skins for the game overall - See all of the above for personalization options. If something looks nice at the start, great! Though I think focusing just on three shades - bright, neutral and dark - and making those look really good would be better.

Trivia relevant to the game's theme - ...Oh. Hah! Yeah, see above.

Platform specific achievements - Overlooking the granular stuff of what types I personally like, yeah, I enjoy achievement hunting. The biggest thing is to try and make them clever, though there is absolutely an audience that will buy a game just because it has easy achievements. But they give zero fucks about the game itself 100% of the time, and unless you pump out lots of easy achievement games they won't remember your company.

Keeping of personal categorical stats (e.g. Total play time ever, total number of puzzles completed ever. Total number of a specific thing completed ever) - Mmm, stats. Not something to keep me coming back or keep playing, but it's amusing to look at how much I've done every now and again while playing or to just scroll through once I've finished before deleting the game.

Access to in-game tutorial documents which describe deeper strategy (e.g. using probability to your advantage, certain patterns to look for, etc.) - Always a good thing to have by default. Accessibility options too, depending on the exact nature of the game. Like don't just use colors for puzzles, match colors and shapes (so like Red could always also be a Heart, blue could always be a Teardrop, etc) so people with various types of visual limitations can still enjoy. If audio is involved, same thing - pair the audio cue with like a non-intrusive but noticeable wave ripple effect or something somewhere on the screen.

Deep strategy puzzles (i.e. like how there are chess puzzles with a setup prompting you to make the single best move towards a goal) - Loved things like this in Panel de Pon. Basically it gives you a half-completed board, gives you a number of moves to clear the board in, and lets you work out the best approach. Simultaneously teaches strategies and trains the player to look for certain patterns during the "main" game type.

I'm sure I could wall of next more but it's late so that's it for now. :chuckle
This was extremely interesting to read, thanks so much for sharing all those details! I feel like this is an interesting profile of a gamer who would enjoy the deeper strategy and math-y expertise of the game, rather than the causal puzzle gaming crowd. It probably will be best to cater towards one or the other for this game, so very interesting to see where a profile of someone towards the deep strategy side lies on each of the elements. Thanks again!

Lunar Kreskents

GW Elder
What platform is this game on? Different things appeal to mobile vs PC vs console gamers.
This game is most likely to appeal to mobile crowd. There will be a Steam and Itch.io version most likely as well, but that's not likely to be the target audience.

It's called Game of Words, but most mobile games have similar mechanics. There's another one called Wordscape that's essentially the same core game but implements the progression stuff differently. In that one, there's always an event going on where you collect portraits or butterflies or crowns or some bullshit. I quit playing that one because I got a new phone and found out the hard way you can only transfer data using a FB account. It was also really naggy so I was getting annoyed at it anyway.
Thanks, I'll check these out! Also really interesting to hear about the FB data transfer. Gross, I think we'll avoid doing anything like that. In general I fear no one want to connect social accounts, like you said earlier.

If you're looking for inspiration, I'd go download a bunch of games similar to yours and see what they do. Check the reviews and see what people compliment and what they complain about. Play them for yourself and see what you find engaging and what annoys you.
Yeah! I've done some of that, and in general had everyone on the team describe what they found engaging and annoying for long term engagement features. Everyone had fairly different perspectives, so I'm getting more.

I suspect social media integration is a thing not because players like it, but because it's free marketing. Some people have a LOT of FB friends, and getting a few of those people to post about your game can get a lot of other people to play it. (I think that's also covered in the book I mentioned if you're curious for more details.) So it may be worth including despite Raine and I being completely uninterested in it.
That is how social sharing features got on the list :D In general most people have said they're annoyed by them though... In my observations of examples I tried to come up with where it worked, it seems most successfully used in scenarios where it A) plays into the mechanics somehow, like earning coins for sharing or as a way of creating competition that the game seems like it was built towards, like Wordle, or B) really beautiful or trending AAA games. It seems to not go over well where C) it feels like it was tangentially tacked on and neither improves the game experience in some way nor makes a big trendy personal statement on your social media.

Premium games do not sell on mobile. It's kinda weird and I don't completely understand why, but I'm guilty of it myself. I remember seeing Stardew Valley in the Play store and thought "ew gross, I'm not paying for a mobile game". Then I saw it was also on Switch and bought it there immediately. :shrug
That's very interesting, especially the perspective between mobile and switch! Might have to find a way to do free to play for this one.

Thanks again!

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I enjoy puzzle games a lot. Generally the deciding factors in the beginning are whether the style of puzzles seems interesting and after that what kind of progression there is. Then after that it's whether there is a clear end of if there will be content being created for months or years. I still have the same sudoku, picross, and minesweeper clone apps on my phone since forever. Those are easy pick ups when I'm just a bit bored and waiting on something.

I've had many pure puzzles games too. Some I've beaten, some I've gotten bored of due to there being hundreds of "easy" levels before anything decent might appear, some ended up having too big and convoluted levels (though the spiritnof the puzzle was there), and some just ended up being too complex for a timekiller. Though that last one is a me problem. My frame of mind for those games was completely wrong so it wasn't necessarily the games fault.

As for content, I like themed content. Especially if there can be crossovers to other known brands. Considering some AAA game crossover is nigh impossible, but how neat would Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Sonic, etc. be. I've seen crossovers of animes and popular bands (mainly kpop and jpop), but it could just be something niche that attracts fans from that thing. Thats... all a bigger tasks as now your in the territory of IPs and profit sharing and that jazz, but I've always loved things like this in games.

Oh, and memes. A silly idle game I play on and off made mini game knockoffs of those games you see on FB ads all the time. That's just funny and you know people actually might want to do them as they're so annoyed by the ads lol.

Lunar Kreskents

GW Elder
I enjoy puzzle games a lot. Generally the deciding factors in the beginning are whether the style of puzzles seems interesting and after that what kind of progression there is. Then after that it's whether there is a clear end of if there will be content being created for months or years. I still have the same sudoku, picross, and minesweeper clone apps on my phone since forever. Those are easy pick ups when I'm just a bit bored and waiting on something.
Very interesting, I like how you've laid out what you think about here when assessing what type of game you're getting into, that's helpful.

I've had many pure puzzles games too. Some I've beaten, some I've gotten bored of due to there being hundreds of "easy" levels before anything decent might appear, some ended up having too big and convoluted levels (though the spiritnof the puzzle was there), and some just ended up being too complex for a timekiller. Though that last one is a me problem. My frame of mind for those games was completely wrong so it wasn't necessarily the games fault.
So it sounds like gradual consistent self mastery is important to you, even when playing the game as a timekiller rather than something to think hard about. Thanks!

As for content, I like themed content. Especially if there can be crossovers to other known brands. Considering some AAA game crossover is nigh impossible, but how neat would Mario, Zelda, Final Fantasy, Sonic, etc. be. I've seen crossovers of animes and popular bands (mainly kpop and jpop), but it could just be something niche that attracts fans from that thing. Thats... all a bigger tasks as now your in the territory of IPs and profit sharing and that jazz, but I've always loved things like this in games.
Not something I've thought about much, interesting!

Oh, and memes. A silly idle game I play on and off made mini game knockoffs of those games you see on FB ads all the time. That's just funny and you know people actually might want to do them as they're so annoyed by the ads lol.
Lol I call these meme games. I love me some meme games! I feel like if you can do some meme game jams eventually you'll hit on something trending and can gather a bit of audience for your studio.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Client wants to make the best game possible. The over-saturation problem and finding an audience is definitely its own big problem. Client is self funded though and is able to make decisions towards making a game they feel they can be proud of, vs the highest earning game.
In that case, my favorite puzzle game apps are by Conceptis. They have no ads, no gimmicks, no social media, no progression tracking, no micro transactions; they're just an excellent, clean interface and a huge library of puzzles. You get a couple puzzle packs of different complexity levels for free, and you can buy more packs for a free bucks each. (I guess that is kind of a micro transaction, but you know what I mean.) The puzzle interfaces have everything you could ever want. For example, one is Picross, and you can configure it to show errors when you complete a row or column, auto check off clues as you fill them in, auto fill obvious blanks, and all sorts of features like that. Everything works flawlessly, and they do everything I want them to, plus I can play exactly the size and difficulty in in the mood for.

I like the app so much that I'll buy more puzzles through it instead of doing the paper ones I already have books of. The interface makes playing them so much more pleasant and fun. I wish I could find an anagram game like it.

The Picross one specifically is called Pic-a-Pix and has probably the most complex interface, but searching "conceptis puzzles" will bring up the whole collection. They've been cranking out puzzle packs for several years, so they must be making money off it.

Actually, I take it back. There is one thing they're missing: I'd really like to have something that will walk me through the techniques to solve a puzzle I'm stuck on. It's one thing to have technique tutorials, it's another level to have a button to say, "okay, I read your tutorials, but I'm still stuck! What should my next step be and why?" That would be amazing

Lunar Kreskents

GW Elder
In that case, my favorite puzzle game apps are by Conceptis. They have no ads, no gimmicks, no social media, no progression tracking, no micro transactions; they're just an excellent, clean interface and a huge library of puzzles. You get a couple puzzle packs of different complexity levels for free, and you can buy more packs for a free bucks each. (I guess that is kind of a micro transaction, but you know what I mean.) The puzzle interfaces have everything you could ever want. For example, one is Picross, and you can configure it to show errors when you complete a row or column, auto check off clues as you fill them in, auto fill obvious blanks, and all sorts of features like that. Everything works flawlessly, and they do everything I want them to, plus I can play exactly the size and difficulty in in the mood for.

I like the app so much that I'll buy more puzzles through it instead of doing the paper ones I already have books of. The interface makes playing them so much more pleasant and fun. I wish I could find an anagram game like it.

The Picross one specifically is called Pic-a-Pix and has probably the most complex interface, but searching "conceptis puzzles" will bring up the whole collection. They've been cranking out puzzle packs for several years, so they must be making money off it.

Actually, I take it back. There is one thing they're missing: I'd really like to have something that will walk me through the techniques to solve a puzzle I'm stuck on. It's one thing to have technique tutorials, it's another level to have a button to say, "okay, I read your tutorials, but I'm still stuck! What should my next step be and why?" That would be amazing
This is super interesting and sounds right up client's alley, I'll definitely check out Conceptis, thanks for this recommendation!

Back
Top Bottom