U.S.A. What do you American people think of Liz Truss?

Crazy Jamie

GW Elder
"Who is Liz Truss?" is an acceptable answer to this question.

So, for those who don't know, she was Prime Minister of the UK relatively recently, and has the honour of being our shortest serving Prime Minister. Her time was an absolute disaster, highlighted by pushing through a budget which was absolutely bonkers and scared the markets, causing a knock off effect economically that we're still feeling the effect of, and which caused her to resign. It was a surprise that she became PM anyway because, honestly, she's not very bright and not a very good politician. She's made her career by kind of latching on to people who are moving in the right direction, and saying the things that those with influence (whoever they may be from time to time) want to hear. She has very few actual principles of her own.

As demonstrated by what she's said since she's tried her hand in the US. She's been hanging around your Conservative conferences for a little while now. She's turned into a Trump ally (despite once upon a time very much holding Democrat consistent views), is spouting conspiracy theories quite regularly, and has done things like shared a stage with Steve Bannon. When he praised Tommy Robinson (a notorious right wing thug over here), she stayed silent, which is almost as baffling to me as the conspiracy theory stuff. She now blames the Deep State for her downfall (as opposed to her utterly batshit economic policy) and is trying to reinvent herself. But really all she's doing is reinventing herself as someone who says increasingly extreme and stupid things.

Anyway, her approval ratings are so low over here. They're comfortably under 10% consistently. It's a source of national shame that she was ever PM, let alone that she's now turned into a proper right wing nutter. Are you guys even aware of her?

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I only heard of her when that whole ordeal was going on, but I stopped following the story after she stepped down.

My honest take on it was that we really must be in the midst of a global shit show. We regularly hear about our own politicians to the point where it’s nauseating on a good day. We hear about Justin Trudeau the same way you’d hear about your neighbor’s dirty laundry. It’s …interesting… to see what kinda nonsense other countries get to deal with in politics, but it’s equally alarming because if no one in charge knows what the hell they’re doing, what does that mean for us? One nutjob running a nation into the ground is one thing. Having a bunch of world leaders steering us who knows where like belligerent drunks should concern all of us.

• They’re Right, You Know?
Reactions: Kat

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
When I think of Liz Truss, I think "who was PM when Queen Elizabeth died?" is going to be an excellent trivia question in a few decades. ... The presumption being that we'd have completely forgotten about her by then because all she did was royally fuck up during her very short tenure, then resign.

Fade into obscurity, Liz. Nobody wants you running anything. At least I hope not. My guess is she's hanging with the conspiracy theory crowd because she figures the only people gullible enough to vote for her are people gullible enough to believe that nonsense.

I wonder what it's like to have no shame. It seems to be a superpower in politics.

Back
Top Bottom