• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Science Total Solar Eclipse April 8th, 2024

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

On April 8, 2024, a total solar eclipse will be visible across North America.

Our total eclipse 2024 guide tells you everything you need to know about the phenomenon from where to see it it to why it's so special. If you can't catch the eclipse in person you can watch the total solar eclipse live here on Space.com.

During a total eclipse, the moon appears almost exactly the same size as the sun and blocks the entire disk for a few minutes — known as totality.

The 115-mile-wide (185 kilometers) path of totality will cross three states in Mexico, 15 U.S. states and four states in southeast Canada.

Who will be checking this out if it comes to your state?

• They’re Right, You Know?
Reactions: Jon

Gloom-is-good

2.5 raccoons in a trench coat
GW Elder
Originally we had planned to attend the Texas Eclipse Festival but then my favorite band announced they were playing April 8th so now I'm stuck at work on the day. Have glasses though so will be out in my work parking lot looking up.

@Olga what part of Texas will you be in?

I'm in Kansas City, but I took Monday off and will be traveling with a group of friends to south central Missouri to be in the path of totality. The 2017 eclipse was just north of me, so I went to a coworker's house who lives in a rural area north of the city, but unfortunately it was cloudy during totality. I'm hoping for better luck this time.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
If you're somewhere with 90%+ coverage, then I highly recommend taking the time to drive somewhere that you can see a total eclipse. The difference between 99% and 100% is literally night and day. Traffic will be a pain in the ass, yes, but I promise you won't regret it. You aren't going to get another chance to see one in the USA for decades.

Does anybody remember in 2017, when a bunch of people on the Internet were saying "This is so overblown. Everybody is bound to be severely disappointed and will regret putting so much time and energy into seeing it." Yet did you see a single person say afterwards, "I saw it and wish I hadn't bothered"? I haven't.

it's something everybody should experience at least once. I meant to travel to Mazatlan for this one, but waited too long to book it and missed my chance. I've been kicking myself for months.

I'm serious. Call out of work if you won't get into serious trouble, drive even if you'll be stuck in traffic for hours afterwards, go even if you have to stand in a random parking lot or side of a road to watch it. You'll be glad you did.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I'm serious. Call out of work if you won't get into serious trouble, drive even if you'll be stuck in traffic for hours afterwards, go even if you have to stand in a random parking lot or side of a road to watch it. You'll be glad you did.

I’ve been scheming with my girl about making her duck out of work on an illegal break for it, and I just might use your post to help me do it.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
As an FYI, if you do drive to it, be EXTREMELY careful. The 2017 eclipse had that happen and there were more car accidents and car related deaths that happened because of just that very thing. There are many more people who live in and near this path than that one, so it'll likely be even crazier.

…and don’t be a dumbass and use your phone while you’re driving. I don’t care how good you think you are, every other driver on the road that isn’t on their phone can spot you from a mile away.

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I just realized that my work is like less than a mile away from the center of the path. And they are doing a thing at the end of 1st shift so that everyone there can go watch it if they want. Pretty neat.

Sucks for 2nd shift as they'd have to get there half an hour early to participate. I was thinking of going there with the family. Might still do it, but hell if I want to have the wife and kids around people from work lol.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
As an FYI, if you do drive to it, be EXTREMELY careful. The 2017 eclipse had that happen and there were more car accidents and car related deaths that happened because of just that very thing. There are many more people who live in and near this path than that one, so it'll likely be even crazier.
I'd definitely do your driving while the eclipse isn't active if you can. People are dumb and try to watch it while driving.

I'd definitely do your driving while the eclipse isn't active if you can. People are dumb and try to watch it while driving.
Well yes, that would be an even bigger problem. The main issue is more that the roads aren't meant to have this many people on them over such a short period of time, especially ones who likely pull off or stop at random places to get a good view. Added to that is people are dumb and will likely be doing some drinking while taking it in.

Essentially you should treat this as if it's a major holiday celebration (like NYE) happening in a giant strip of land that nearly 200 million people could attend if they wanted.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Well yes, that would be an even bigger problem. The main issue is more that the roads aren't meant to have this many people on them over such a short period of time, especially ones who likely pull off or stop at random places to get a good view. Added to that is people are dumb and will likely be doing some drinking while taking it in.

Essentially you should treat this as if it's a major holiday celebration (like NYE) happening in a giant strip of land that nearly 200 million people could attend if they wanted.
Yeah, fair. For the last one, I drove to it on the morning on the day it happened, and traffic was quite light. Traffic was heavy on the way back home, but not any worse than normal rush hour IMO. I went to a rural area I could get to without driving through any major cities, so maybe that helped.

Hopefully schools in the area close for this very reason. No one is going to be paying attention, and there are many cars that don't have automatic lights and some people still won't turn them on even if they have time... or some have lights out.

Gloom-is-good

2.5 raccoons in a trench coat
GW Elder
Hopefully schools in the area close for this very reason. No one is going to be paying attention, and there are many cars that don't have automatic lights and some people still won't turn them on even if they have time... or some have lights out.
A lot of the districts here are closing on at half-day instead of the full day.. that's gonna cause sooo many traffic disruptions.. I'm glad I'm not a commuter

Ben

Blind Guardian
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
Badministrator
GW Elder
Looks like this is the most I'm going to get, which is still cool. The Mrs took the boy and went to Rochester to a friend's viewing party, where they're in totality, but I'm here with my daughter. I figure after she gets out of school will be around when it starts. I think we'll have a view from our balcony, so we'll just camp out with snacks and watch it happen.

1712554035048.png

Edit: General path too, since we hadn't just posted it in the thread yet.

1712554420533.png

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder

Looks like they’re doing early dismissal for schools in our area, so, that might be a common thing elsewhere.

Reactions: Jon
Back
Top Bottom