The Webster Has Arrived!

the-acclaimed.gif

GW Forums!
The Webster has arrived!

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Welcome to the forums. Considering you already have a pet name from Crystal, I assume you two are already acquainted. Glad to have you here.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
He's also a Cornette fan. I respect Jim and listen to his podcasts pretty regularly, and I love hearing his takes. A lot of people get heated though!
Oh absolutely, he's a big Cornette fan. I'm glad he joined up here, I was a big wrestling fan in the Attitude era into the early ruthless aggression era, but that was kind of it for me, I became more casual after that, so I'm not great at talking wrestling anymore. I love that we have so many wrestling fans here, and I have no doubt Webby loves that, too :)

Oh absolutely, he's a big Cornette fan. I'm glad he joined up here, I was a big wrestling fan in the Attitude era into the early ruthless aggression era, but that was kind of it for me, I became more casual after that, so I'm not great at talking wrestling anymore. I love that we have so many wrestling fans here, and I have no doubt Webby loves that, too :)

I think for most of us, that's what we grew up on, when wrestling was at its hottest period of popularity during the late 90s boom.

Yeah, that definitely sounds about right, we were all right in that same age range, so makes sense that'd be the main range.
Not to hijack the thread, but wrestling was mainstream/pop culture back then too. Wrestlers on the covers of popular magazines and TV Guide, wrestlers regularly appearing on late night talk shows and doing guest appearances on sitcoms and other shows. At their peak, Nitro and Raw combined viewership was over 10 million viewers. The video games were beyond popular, the wrestler theme albums would track on charts/album sales, and the amount of merch they sold was insane. I remember everybody at my school, between around 1996-1997 until probably 2002 watched. So many nWo, DX, Sting, and Austin t-shirts. It's crazy how popular it was.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Not to hijack the thread, but wrestling was mainstream/pop culture back then too. Wrestlers on the covers of popular magazines and TV Guide, wrestlers regularly appearing on late night talk shows and doing guest appearances on sitcoms and other shows. At their peak, Nitro and Raw combined viewership was over 10 million viewers. The video games were beyond popular, the wrestler theme albums would track on charts/album sales, and the amount of merch they sold was insane. I remember everybody at my school, between around 1996-1997 until probably 2002 watched. So many nWo, DX, Sting, and Austin t-shirts. It's crazy how popular it was.
Oh definitely, I still own the albums, lol, and as dumb as it sounds, there's still a part of me that wishes I had the money for a replica belt :D. Never gonna' happen, and that's all good, but you're right, the merch was absolutely ridiculous, and the number of times you'd see The Rock, HHH, Chyna, etc. pop up in a random show it was incredible!

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder

Shiiit, going back to the late 80’s and early 90’s my dad was taking me to meet and greets at a grocery store. That seams pretty mainstream to me… Met Hawk and Animal at a Woolworth’s. While they were in full entrance gear.

Shiiit, going back to the late 80’s and early 90’s my dad was taking me to meet and greets at a grocery store. That seams pretty mainstream to me… Met Hawk and Animal at a Woolworth’s. While they were in full entrance gear.
I'm biased because I got into it in the late 90s. The early to mid 80s were also huge. I guess the lull was between 1989 and 1995, supposedly, for WCW and WWF. You had Hulkamania decline, the steroid trial, and some cartoonish characters and questionable booking.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I'm biased because I got into it in the late 90s. The early to mid 80s were also huge. I guess the lull was between 1989 and 1995, supposedly, for WCW and WWF. You had Hulkamania decline, the steroid trial, and some cartoonish characters and questionable booking.

It got kinda cartoony at that point… the kids like me that grew up to the Road Warriors and Ultimate Warrior and Macho King and guys like that were becoming “big kids” so the tassels and glittery clothes and face paint wasn’t “cool” anymore. The start of the Attitude era was what drew us back in because you had promos being cut like Mankind’s, Kane’s, the subsequent Undertaker buildup, the Goldust one, etc. There was something for everyone. That made WCW step their game up, and then the DX and NWO faction storylines got huge. I stopped following after the Invasion storyline, but at that point… I was at that “wrestling is dumb and fake” stage, I didn’t appreciate it as entertainment anymore the way I did as a kid or have that nostalgic favorable opinion I do now.

Off-screen he can be entertaining at times but sometimes...eeesh.
He is quite the base-breaking character, per the Tropes...
Jim Cornette is respected by a good portion of wrestling fans for his honesty, his willingness to speak truth to power, and his overall entertaining rants. In his defense, Cornette has helped to discover and develop many wrestlers who would go on to become major players in the Attitude Era and the Ruthless Aggression/PG era. He's also willing to speak out for underutilized wrestlers whom management cast aside in favor of the "sports entertainers." And he's known to be (mostly) gracious to the many wrestlers who have worked with and under him. Of course, it also helps that he's genuinely one of the more charismatic and eloquent speakers in wrestling who will always give the audience the straight scoop.

On the other hand, many other fans feel that he's outdated and that he's nothing more than a bitter old man who just can't accept the fact that wrestling has changed. On this flip side, Cornette's stubbornness has led to him burning bridges with almost every wrestling organization he's worked with. He's also known to hold a bitter grudge for a long time even against people like Shawn Michaels who have, by almost all accounts, stopped being manipulative backstage politicians later in life (as opposed to the 90s, the period when Michaels interacted with Cornette)note . It also doesn't help that he has, for the record, physically slapped workers in the past like Santino Marella for making on-air mistakes. And, of course, he's gotten himself more and more hatred in recent years for trashing fan favorite wrestlers and organizations like Colt Cabana, Kevin Owens, El Generico, Joey Ryan, Kenny Omega, The Young Bucks, Johnny Gargano, CHIKARA, Lucha Underground, and All Elite Wrestling, going so far as to end ongoing friendships with Brian Zane and Dave Meltzer over their defense of AEW and comedy wrestling. All these things combined have contributed to making him one of the most divisive figures in wrestling today.

Now come on, you are not a shitposter; remind me to tell you about some real-ass shitposters like someone @Crystal and I have known over the years: Serafin (a/k/a True Liberty or whatever fucking name he goes by, the Florida prick).
Shitposts here are a good thing. We're breaking stereotypes and norms.

Back
Top Bottom