• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

The Official Tea Thread

Spectro

Ghostwriter
GW Elder
Do you guys use normal kettles or electric kettles or something else? My experience with tea is either something bottled or microwaving water with a bland tea bag. 😅

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Do you guys use normal kettles or electric kettles or something else? My experience with tea is either something bottled or microwaving water with a bland tea bag. 😅
You can do the teapot on the stove approach easily enough, but honestly an electric kettle works just fine to boil the water, then you leave the teabag in the cup with the boiling water (or a teapot if you're making several cups at once) to steep for plenty of time (an average cup about 5 minutes). You can remove or not remove, personal preference, the teabag/sachet/infuser/etc and you're good to go :).

(others may have better methods, of course :D)

Spectro

Ghostwriter
GW Elder
I wanted a kettle for the stove but an electric one seems so convenient. I've just been hesitant to buy one because lately every cheap electronic I have bought seems to have been garbage. I forgot I also have a Keurig that I rarely use and when I do use it, it makes me feel guilty. 😅

I saw Harney & Sons mentioned. I tried their Cinnamon Spice a while back and I liked it.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
I wanted a kettle for the stove but an electric one seems so convenient. I've just been hesitant to buy one because lately every cheap electronic I have bought seems to have been garbage.
lol, the benefit of cheap electric kettles is they're easy enough to replace, lol :D
I forgot I also have a Keurig that I rarely use and when I do use it, it makes me feel guilty. 😅
Never feel guilty for that! It's a fun piece of tech!
I saw Harney & Sons mentioned. I tried their Cinnamon Spice a while back and I liked it.
That's good, @MC74 is looking forward to getting her order in and trying that exact tea!

I use electric

Usually microwaving is not recommended, I am not sure the why, I hear it doesnt come out as good, but I've never tried it

If have used a pot before to boil water though and it turns out fine

I wanted a kettle for the stove but an electric one seems so convenient. I've just been hesitant to buy one because lately every cheap electronic I have bought seems to have been garbage. I forgot I also have a Keurig that I rarely use and when I do use it, it makes me feel guilty. 😅

I have had good luck with my kettles and have only had 1 break in 13 or so years (have one at home and one at work)

At home, I used to use a stove top kettle, but I switched to an electric gooseneck kettle.

At work, our coffee machine has the hot water spicket and the water us a constant 200 degrees. That's what I use.

Faculty lounge has one of those, but make tea during class so I have a kettle under my desk and a tea pot, I brew all day long!

maybe check the status of the order before you demand a refund.
I did, it indicates the package arrived. I can check the box again after work, so hopefully it's there, but in the meantime, I'm giving them some time in case it does arrive tomorrow or early next week.

But if not by next week, I'll have to inquire in case it might have been shipped to the wrong address, like what happened with my Shohei Ohtani jersey in 2019.

TBH, you should have done it when you were notified that it arrived at the destination and you didn't receive it. You can't cross your fingers and hope everything works out. Every order should have a tracking number that you can track.
True, should've done it earlier. I'll report back on what happens tomorrow, and if I don't receive it, I'll get in contact with Canada Post and see what's going on.

I like peppermint tea and fruity teas. As for southern sweet tea, I like it but prefer way less sweet than what people typically pour in it down here. It needs to be just sweet enough to cut the bitterness and still be refreshing, most people sweeten it so much it's like drinking syrup and it's gross to me. Sometimes lemon is good with it. Also love a good Alrnold Palmer.

I also don't agree with you on adding the sugar while hot, it changes the taste in a way I don't like, I'd rather add the sugar after it's chilled a little, you just have to not be lazy and stir it long enough, tastes different and SO much better.

I drink unsweetened iced tea like any good northerner.

Though I do actually quite enjoy tea. We've also made some tea ice creams before, which is essentially just brewing tea in sugary milk/cream and then turning it into a custard before churning it.

My wife is taiwanese American, so I drink a lot of boba.
I'm good with unsweet as well! Never tried boba tea though, I've only just recently heard of it thanks to the most recent season of Always Sunny.

I had to add sugar to mine because I didn't find it sweet enough. Thinking this boils down to what I'm used to drinking and my tastebuds needing to adjust. But you know what? Even though I used sugar, I'm not using as much as I would have to for coffee. 2 sugar for the tea (my mug = 2 cups to be specific, so technically 1 per cup of tea) as opposed to 4.

Black coffee snobs are the worst. I had a friend once who made an unnecessary comment when I was adding two or three packets to my coffee with cream and she acted like that was a huge amount and then said "I always drink mine black because I like the taste of coffee but sometimes I have to add half a packet because sometimes they burn it."

Bitch I like the taste of coffee too, that's why I'm drinking it!

Black coffee snobs are the worst. I had a friend once who made an unnecessary comment when I was adding two or three packets to my coffee with cream and she acted like that was a huge amount and then said "I always drink mine black because I like the taste of coffee but sometimes I have to add half a packet because sometimes they burn it."

Bitch I like the taste of coffee too, that's why I'm drinking it!
You don't have to tell me twice. I've had people give me dirty looks for adding 4 sugars to my coffee. If they thought that was bad, they wouldn't want to see me when I was drinking 8 cans of Coke a day.

I drink my coffee black because I like it that way. I don't care what you add to yours in order to like it the way you do.
I wish everyone had this attitude. Like if I don't enjoy what you're eating then I don't need to keep throwing that fact in your face. I'm just happy you have something that you like 👍

Wasn't expecting a little bonus with the package. They included two packets of tea on the side. One being English Breakfast and the other Mint.

I love they give little samples. The mint is one of my favorite herbals

Btw, loving the Hot Cinnamon Spice! So glad I got that one. ^^

Yep, it was my gateway tea and why recommend it

I like peppermint tea and fruity teas. As for southern sweet tea, I like it but prefer way less sweet than what people typically pour in it down here. It needs to be just sweet enough to cut the bitterness and still be refreshing, most people sweeten it so much it's like drinking syrup and it's gross to me.

I like sweet tea, but dont make it too sweet, for half a gallon (I think) I use 1/3 cup or 1/2 cup depending on the blend. An Ex-gfs dad used to use like a full cup, it was good, but way too sweet, but I do follow his recipe otherwise

Sometimes lemon is good with it. Also love a good Alrnold Palmer.

Plain black tea with lemon is good as a sugar replacement

I also don't agree with you on adding the sugar while hot, it changes the taste in a way I don't like, I'd rather add the sugar after it's chilled a little, you just have to not be lazy and stir it long enough, tastes different and SO much better.

I add it after it is made, so I pour the cold water and sugar in my pitcher and once my iced tea is done I mix it all together

I'm good with unsweet as well!

Hot tea yes, iced tea no (for me)

I had to add sugar to mine because I didn't find it sweet enough. Thinking this boils down to what I'm used to drinking and my tastebuds needing to adjust. But you know what? Even though I used sugar, I'm not using as much as I would have to for coffee. 2 sugar for the tea (my mug = 2 cups to be specific, so technically 1 per cup of tea) as opposed to 4.

I add my sugar after I steep it

Snobs are the worst, unless they agree with me :p Jk, 100% agree, enjoy what you enjoy
You don't have to tell me twice. I've had people give me dirty looks for adding 4 sugars to my coffee. If they thought that was bad, they wouldn't want to see me when I was drinking 8 cans of Coke a day.

I add sugar to a lot of my black tea, not all, even a teaspoon is like 15 calories, not too bad at all
I want to try their Paris tea when I get the chance too.

It is a very popular one, hope you love it

You fall somewhere between me and other people. For two quarts most people add a cup of sugar or more, whereas I might add 1/4 cup.

That's an interesting strategy with the sugar, gives it extra time to dissolve in cold water. As long as it doesn't dissolve in hot water, because I don't know what the heat does to the sugar but it makes it very different and I don't like it.

I love they give little samples. The mint is one of my favorite herbals
It's a neat way of introducing people to different flavors. Give them a sample and if they like it enough, there's a chance they may order some down the line.

I add my sugar after I steep it
I was about to ask doesn't everyone, but then remembered there are people out there who do the milk/creamer first before the tea, so wouldn't be shocking if there are people who add sugar before steeping.

I add sugar to a lot of my black tea, not all, even a teaspoon is like 15 calories, not too bad at all
Creamer and two sugars is my ratio per cup. If I have honey, I may use that instead.

It is a very popular one, hope you love it
I want to try to get a teapot with an infuser included at some point, then I can move onto loose tea.

Back
Top Bottom