• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

The Official Tea Thread

I know there was a coffee thread, well now its time for the Tea Thread.

What got you into tea? What's your favorite? How often and how much do you drink?

I started with sweet iced tea, which if you're not from the South (east?) U.S. you may not know, its tea brewed to be sweet and with sugar. None of that adding it after the fact where it doesnt dissolve right. It hits perfectly on a hot sunny day.

After that I tried a few tea bags (snicker) and my girlfriend at the time gifted me some loose tea. Turns out one of those three became one of my all time favorite, White Peony. But what really kicked it off was teaching and needing to be awake so early, I bought some harney and sons hot cinnamon spice, and it was love at first sip. I havent looked back

My favorite in the morning is Taylor of Harrogate's Earl Grey, a little sugar and a splash of milk while eating some dark chocolate. Usually I stick to black tea in the mornings, other types dont hit my stomach right for what ever reason.

In the afternoons Jasmine, or the previously mentioned White Peony are my usual, more for the calming nature than the caffeine.

I drink usually 8 cups on a work day, but a lot of that is re-steeps. 4 black in the morning (2 being re-steeps) and something like green, white or oolong, I get a better resteep out of those and can get 4 cups out of one batch of leaves.

Oh and I have an entire drawer at my desk filled with tea, along with a tea kettle under my desk and a tea pot. I will be teaching, and make tea while teaching, it's great!

What about you all?

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I started with sweet iced tea, which if you're not from the South (east?) U.S. you may not know, its tea brewed to be sweet and with sugar. None of that adding it after the fact where it doesnt dissolve right. It hits perfectly on a hot sunny day.

Half and half. Not the kind used for coffee creamer.

Half lemonade, half tea.

Everyone associates the south with sweet tea, but the Mid-Atlantic region on either side of the Mason-Dixon has a HUGE thing for half and half… so our idea is “brackish”, I guess you would say? It’s not straight up sweet like southern style sweet tea because of the lemonade, but it’s definitely too much for traditional tea drinkers. I’ve seen it referred to as “lemonade tea” (not to be confused with lemon tea) north of me, but it’s still the same thing. Go anywhere in MD, eastern PA, DE, DC, or NoVA and you’ll find half and half in any chicken spot, Chinese spot, sub shop, or Jewish deli and you’ll see it.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Bake Off Cooking GIF by The Great British Bake Off

Britishness intensifies. Good job, America. Good job.

Half and half. Not the kind used for coffee creamer.

Half lemonade, half tea.

Everyone associates the south with sweet tea, but the Mid-Atlantic region on either side of the Mason-Dixon has a HUGE thing for half and half… so our idea is “brackish”, I guess you would say? It’s not straight up sweet like southern style sweet tea because of the lemonade, but it’s definitely too much for traditional tea drinkers. I’ve seen it referred to as “lemonade tea” (not to be confused with lemon tea) north of me, but it’s still the same thing. Go anywhere in MD, eastern PA, DE, DC, or NoVA and you’ll find half and half in any chicken spot, Chinese spot, sub shop, or Jewish deli and you’ll see it.

The arnold palmer!

I have used half and half

My favorite was first time I went to new york and I tried to order sweet iced tea and the lady just looked at me like I was crazy
Bake Off Cooking GIF by The Great British Bake Off

Britishness intensifies. Good job, America. Good job.

I would mostly make a great brit, love your comedy too, not sure I could call a flashlight a torch though, that just feels too silly

…or dilute yourselves to nothingness like instant powder tea in the process, as y’all are.
I have used some for chai and it's worked well, not my favorite, but it's a sweet treat. There is also Macha which is technically a powder you mix in

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I drink literally nothing fancy.

I got like 8 different kinds of Twinings and a local place sells Ginger Peach tea.

Only ever drink it black.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
The arnold palmer!

That’s the other name I was trying to remember… but I didn’t think they were precisely the same thing, and apparently I’m kinda right but just learned why after looking it up. An Arnold Palmer is apparently 2 parts tea to 1 part lemonade, whereas a half and half is just that… equal parts of each.

I have used some for chai and it's worked well, not my favorite, but it's a sweet treat. There is also Macha which is technically a powder you mix in

You got me on a technicality, but I’m still gonna talk shit to the Brits.

Oh good, someone made this thread.

Twinnings is ass. Their teabags seem designed to force you to use two for a single cup. I can let it steep all day and a single bag doesn't lead to it being and more strong.

Harney and Sons' Hot Cinnamon Sunset is like nirvana. Chamomile is great too.

I can only enjoy green when eating Japanese or Chinese food otherwise the tea seems to bitter.

It's working. One person at a time, we're getting you all back!

You act like the British are the only people who drink tea :p

Twinnings is ass. Their teabags seem designed to force you to use two for a single cup. I can let it steep all day and a single bag doesn't lead to it being and more strong.

Harney and Sons' Hot Cinnamon Sunset is like nirvana. Chamomile is great too.

I can only enjoy green when eating Japanese or Chinese food otherwise the tea seems to bitter.

I find most places their tea bags are too weak for my liking unless I double up, but the loose leaf is much better. In general I get better flavor and more usage out of loose leaf so give that a shot. Remember most tea bags are basically tea dust, though some places do the full leaf ones

I havent had Cinnamon Sunset, actually never mind, according to the listing its the same as their Hot Cinnamon Spice, so yes, it is amazing

With green tea, first brew usually needs to be around 180 degrees F or what ever that would be in C, might be why its kind of bitter

Got any recommendations for White teas and where the fuck I can find them? I found one batch of white tea at a Spice and Tea Exchange place and it was a seasonal confetti type blend that was on clearance.

I love Adiago's white peony

Harney and sons does samples and free shipping on any order so id look around there

I do like Republic of Teas White Persimmon as well

My go to is Harney and Sons because they offer samples and free shipping on any order no matter the cost (in the US)

Hot Cinnamon Spice is my favorite of theirs, so good I dont even need sugar. I think their Paris tea gets recommended a lot too.

Adiago is another great site with samples, but no free shipping until $50 (I think)

I find black tea better in the morning (green, white, oolong, herbals dont sit well with my stomach for what ever reason in the mornings)

I'd take some slight notes, my sweet spot is usually 1tsp per 6 oz for 5 minutes for black tea, but there are a few where 1 per 8oz works better or a couple for 3 minutes.

Twinnings is also a good brand, their loose tea that is, cant speak for their bagged.

Nice thing about loose tea is you can usually double the steep time for a second brew and get more out of the leaves.

Some black tea goes well with a bit of lemon or cream, everyone is different, but it takes some experimentation sometimes, their suggested brewing times may not work for you, but they'll be close.

Any advice for loose tea. I'm also interested in making my own tea from scratch.

Tea spoon and strainer

I don't like the balls as they are small, the taller cylinder like are ones I prefer, also cover the cup with something to keep temperature in more (probably doesnt make a huge difference)

Also water quality can change things, water at work is better than my home water for what ever reason, I guess hardness

Tea spoon and strainer

I don't like the balls as they are small, the taller cylinder like are ones I prefer, also cover the cup with something to keep temperature in more (probably doesnt make a huge difference)

Also water quality can change things, water at work is better than my home water for what ever reason, I guess hardness
Any difference in loose tea vs teabags? Just curious.

Any difference in loose tea vs teabags? Just curious.

Loose tea is full tea leaves so you can get more use out of them, higher quality. Tea bags I cant get more than 1 steep out of, usually lower quality leaves and usually it has been grinded down, but can be good in a pinch. There are some places like Harney and Sons that sell full leaf tea bags and they work just as good as loose tea and come in their own bag

So the above work just as well as loose leaf as they are loose leaves in their own sachet

vs

The above I can only get one steep out of and dont find typically as good, but there are some that are good.

Ultimately drink what you like and what works for you, but you'll probably like loose leaf more.

Also if you do green tea, especially loose leaf you'll want slightly less than boiling water for the first steep (180F), usually a few bubbles showing. Look up youtube, unless you plan on getting a kettle that does multiple temps.

Let me know if you have any questions!

Interested in trying the Paris tea too. Wonder what that one is like.

But for now, I have the sachets of Hot Cinnamon Spice and Caramel ordered since I don't have an infuser yet. I assume those are the loose leaf tea, yes?

Interested in trying the Paris tea too. Wonder what that one is like.

But for now, I have the sachets of Hot Cinnamon Spice and Caramel ordered since I don't have an infuser yet. I assume those are the loose leaf tea, yes?

Paris is a popular one, I liked it, but not one of my favorites

Yes, those will be the equivalent of loose tea and good quality

Any others from Harney & Sons that are worth checking out?
The English Breakfast ones are solid regular black tea.

Their Pumpkin Spice one is inoffensive, but on the mildside. Hot Cinnamon Sunset will ruin your opinion of anything similar.

Also, if you intend to get Hot Cinnamon Sunset, and you have a Target, get it there. Target is able to get it in bulk and actually passes the savings on to you. On the website, they sell the tin of 20 satchel for $9.45 before taxes and shipping costs. At Target, it's $5.59.

Target shut down all their operations in Canada, so they're out of the question.

But from what I gathered yesterday, Hot Cinnamon Spice is also known as Hot Cinnamon Sunset, so yeah, that's the one I got. Heard that one was amazing.

Back
Top Bottom