The Best Movies I Watched in 2023

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Note: These are not movies that came out in 2023. Its just the stuff I watched or re-watched.

10. Willow (Ron Howard, 1988) ****1/2
And thus, from a man hanging in a crow cage, the inspiration for almost every D&D character I've ever made.

9. Evil Dead Rise (Lee Cronin, 2023) ****1/2
Well that was a RIDE. Maybe my favorite special effects work in a horror film.

8. Perfect Blue (Satoshi Kon, 1997) ****1/2
For a film made in the 90s, it hits REAL HARD today.

7. In the Mood for Love (Wong Kar-wai, 2000) ****1/2
I had always heard this was a great film, and when a close friend gifted me a copy of the Criterion release I had to watch it immediately. It did not disappoint. The more I see of Tony Leung, the more he becomes one of my favorite actors.

6. The Grand Budapest Hotel (Wes Anderson, 2014) ****1/2
Very close to being my favorite Wes Anderson, but on first viewing could not unseat the great Zissou. I love the word "funicular" and it should be used in more films.

5. Confess, Fletch (Greg Mottola, 2022) *****
I might have gone a little high on the rating when I watched it originally, but I had a hell of a time. Jon Hamm nailed the Fletch character as he appears in the books, and this is one of my favorite comedies in years. Please make more.

4. Terminator 2: Judgement Day (Director's Cut) (James Cameron, 1991) *****
Jim Cameron doesn't miss.

3. Dawn of the Dead (George Romero, 1978) *****
Still the greatest zombie movie ever made, IMO.

2. The Abyss (Director's Cut) (James Cameron, 1989) *****
Jim Cameron doesn't miss.

1. The Princess Bride (Rob Reiner, 1987) *****
The first time I watched this as a kid I hated it. Then when I watched it again, a little older, I kind of liked it. Then when I watched it again as a young adult, I appreciated it. Now watching it with my kids, I absolutely adore it.

Just Missed The Cut (in no particular order):
E.T.
Poltergeist
The Hunt for Red October
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3
The Batman
Asteroid City
Jurassic Park
The Menu

• Chef’s Kiss
Reactions: TD

Fire Queen

official GWF wolfmistress (sometimes) | she/they
GW Elder
is this thread gonna turn into a letterboxd sharing thread because i'll start using my account again if so

suzume was fun. boy howdy has that director figured out how to make an extremely specific movie is wildly different ways and it hits every time

the best movie i watched in 2023 was probably the last unicorn. the best anime movie i watched in 2023 was also probably the last unicorn technically speaking but credit also to A Tree Of Palme which i had never heard of before seeing it and it was incredible. i also didn't watch it last year which is a crime but the adolescence of utena is prob my fav anime movie ever

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
is this thread gonna turn into a letterboxd sharing thread because i'll start using my account again if so
I'd be all for that.
the best movie i watched in 2023 was probably the last unicorn.
Is that the old animated movie from the early 80s? I'm always on the lookout for movies I could watch with the kids that won't bore me to tears.

Fire Queen

official GWF wolfmistress (sometimes) | she/they
GW Elder
I'd be all for that.

Is that the old animated movie from the early 80s? I'm always on the lookout for movies I could watch with the kids that won't bore me to tears.
yup! it's amazing, and most of the animation crew that worked on it eventually went on to found studio ghibli. also the music kicks ass

anyway! https://letterboxd.com/mtburton/

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
What is letterboxd?
Basically a social media platform for movies (and they're adding TV shows to it as well).

I use it to track what I've watched and what I've rated things. Plus you can write reviews of things but mine are usually little jokes based on the movie.

TD

ES COO Shitposting Dept. of GWF
10K Post Club
Executive
GW Elder
I checked out Letterboxd and ended up signing up.

It seems like an interesting way to keep track of what I've watched and then to look back on it.

Obviously barebones because I just started today, but:

Back
Top Bottom