• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Sega Saturn thread

Smacktard

Connoisseur of fine video games
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I finally got a batch of NA games shipped to myself in Saudi. I was slowly accumulating them at a drop shipping site, and had them all sent out to myself recently.

20240928_142408.jpg
(empty label is Astal)

I focused on purchasing the more expensive games first, and I made sure to get everything below Pricecharting prices, not taking anything unless I got a good deal for it. I remember when Panzer Saga was selling for $1400 CIB, but I got one for MUCH lower than that -- half price, almost -- or about 20% lower than most of the recent purchases. Mercifully, the most expensive purchases are done now, and I probably won't be buying any more Saturn games for a while, unless I stumble across some in the wild at a decent price.

Most of the manuals for the games are pretty bare bones, black and white, low quality, but the Working Designs manuals are incredible. They even have some "Translator's notes" at the end of the manuals, which gives some insight into the translation process and other tweaks and changes they made to the games, including performance, control, animations, and gameplay. They're hella charming, and extremely personable:

20240928_133951.jpg
(If you're going to read anything, read at least the first and last paragraph)
20240928_133731.jpg
(The description for Calrdina = lmao)

Can't wait to start playing these. I'll probably start with Panzer Dragoon I and II, then maybe switch it up with Astal or Three Dirty Dwarves. But the one I'm most looking forward to playing is Deep Fear. It's such an unknown for me compared to the other games.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Very nice haul, and very good idea to get the expense games out of the way early. Now tomja e fun with them! Saga is an amazing RPG, not just because it's rare, but because it is legitimately good!

Glad you got Magic Knight Rayearth! Even if you don't know the anime, the manual shows you how fun the game will be :)

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I can't wait to play Saga too! I've heard many people say it's one of the best games of all time, which you don't often hear for action RPGs. Excited to see what it has in store.

MKR looks comfy. I'm not big into anime, but the gameplay looked great, and I'm hankering for some of those top-down action/RPG games.

Unfortunately I'm away on a biz trip for a couple of days starting tomorrow, so not going to have much time with them ;_;

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
I can't wait to play Saga too! I've heard many people say it's one of the best games of all time, which you don't often hear for action RPGs. Excited to see what it has in store.

MKR looks comfy. I'm not big into anime, but the gameplay looked great, and I'm hankering for some of those top-down action/RPG games.

Unfortunately I'm away on a biz trip for a couple of days starting tomorrow, so not going to have much time with them ;_;
All the more reason to do a great job and get back quickly so you can play! ;)

empty label is Astal)
haha, Austin Eruption posted a video yesterday about forgotten Segs games, and he brought uk Astal and the odd lack of a title on the side. Apparently, the game didn't receive great reviews because "why isn't this 3D, everything should be in 3D now". The number of games we didn't get in the NA in the late 90s because it wasn't 3D is absurd. What a stupid era.
I remember when Panzer Saga was selling for $1400 CIB, but I got one for MUCH lower than that -- half price
Saga prices have actually lowered below a thousand now. The market might be healing itself. I was able to buy Twin Snakes for 80 complete, even though it would have been well over 100 last year.

I guess, I'll post my collection. Not a huge one like the Dreamcast collection. Gimme a bit.

1000008863.jpg

- NBA Jam TE
- Panzer Dragoon Zwei (JP import)
- Darkstalkers 3 (Vampire Savior 2: The Lord of Vampire) (JP Import)
- Sega Rally
- Need for Speed
- X-Men vs Street Fighter (JP import)
- Daytona USA Championship Edition
- Daytona USA
- Sonic R
- Fighters Megamix
- Kung of Fighters '97 (JP import)
- Samurai Spirits Best Collection (Samurai Shodown 3 and 4) (JP Import)
- Virtua Racing
- Nights into Dreams (loose with repro box)
- Nights into Dreams Christmas Edition (JP import)
- Bootleg Sampler (Only de.k on there I don't have a game of is Clockwork Knight 2)
- Tomb Raider
- Virtua Fighter Remix
- Virtua Fighter 2
- Virtua Cop

Also seen, Action Replay that expands RAM, provides place to store game saves, and region unlocking. A solid arcade stick (not licensed by Sega). The "3D" controller. A repro controller of the second version (which is like the one released in Japan, not the awful NA launch controller). A pamphlet listing numerous upcoming or "currently" available Saturn games.

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Nice collection. I'd love to pick up Sega Rally and Fighters Megamix at some point. Even though I'm not really a fan of those two genres, these two look great.

It's funny how JP games are just an expected part of a Saturn collection. Are there any other consoles with US releases that are like this? I think Saturn is unique in this way. Some other consoles might have good JP only releases, but not as many as the Saturn.

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
The number of games we didn't get in the NA in the late 90s because it wasn't 3D is absurd. What a stupid era.
Apparently Sony didn't even want Mega Man 8 on the PS1 and later only relented because Capcom was going to release it on the Saturn exclusively.
Saga prices have actually lowered below a thousand now. The market might be healing itself. I was able to buy Twin Snakes for 80 complete, even though it would have been well over 100 last year.
I've noticed retro game prices coming down a bit. Also, luxury brand stocks are down huge. People are suffering from inflation and unemployment is ticking up. I unironically think that a booming and then shrinking collector market is a forward indicator of a coming recession.

Nice collection. I'd love to pick up Sega Rally and Fighters Megamix at some point. Even though I'm not really a fan of those two genres, these two look great.

It's funny how JP games are just an expected part of a Saturn collection. Are there any other consoles with US releases that are like this? I think Saturn is unique in this way. Some other consoles might have good JP only releases, but not as many as the Saturn.
Dreamcast. Many of it's games can be found cheaper if imported. There are a LOT of games that can only be found in Japan (or even Europe). CvS2, Napple Tale, Headhunter, Shenmue 2, Rez, Ikaruga, and many other SHMUPS.

I unironically think that a booming and then shrinking collector market is a forward indicator of a coming recession.
Market needs a reset. Cars, houses, collectables, everything jumped up far too fast and wages couldn't keep up.

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Dreamcast. Many of it's games can be found cheaper if imported. There are a LOT of games that can only be found in Japan (or even Europe). CvS2, Napple Tale, Headhunter, Shenmue 2, Rez, Ikaruga, and many other SHMUPS.
Fair dues, but I'd still wager it's a more common sight with the Saturn. Dreamcast games aren't even particularly expensive in comparison, and the Saturn still has plenty of JP-only games that are great.

Worth pointing out in my Saturn collection, the X-Men vs Street Fighter game is pretty much obsolete due to the Marvel vs Capcom collection, and the Darkstalkers games all got numerous releases, including the first Capcom Fighting Collection, so I kinda don't need import copies of those games (assuming the physical release of the MvC collection is actually physical.

Also, Tomb Raider on the Saturn is somehow worse than on the PS1, but having it on the Saturn is much cooler. It would be like having Rayman on the Jaguar.

I only really care to have the definitive physical version, so no interest in Tomb Raider tbh. Mega Man 8 for the Saturn has some new features and bosses and stuff though so that could be cool to pick up.
IMO, the definitive version of Tomb Raider is Tomb Raider Anniversary. Tank controls be gone.

I just like the Tomb Raider on Saturn because it has the distinction of being the first release of Tomb Raider despite it being known as a Playstation series until Crystal Dynamics took over in 06.

Fun fact, Tomb Raider Legend got a Gamecube release despite the Wii almost about to release and the Gamecube long being considered and afterthought. It also got released 6 months after the PS2/Xbox/X360/PC release.

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I started playing Burning Rangers. It's made by Sonic Team. Appropriately, it is very bad. I finished the first level, and... I just don't think I can bother to play the rest. It's a real slog.

A modern remake of this game could actually be very good though -- if they fixed the platforming, controls, signposting, draw distance, lack of map/radar, lack of direction, and frame rate.

I'll most likely end up selling this one, or try to trade it away.

edit: the second level is MUCH better than the first one. I'll probably try to complete the game, but not 100% it

Last edited:

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
It's on Steam for 8 bucks. It might even have Christmas Nights if it's the same version as the Xbo 360/PS3 version.
Interesting! I had no idea, honestly.

Still, would like to get it for Saturn since it's THE game you think of when you think of the Sega Saturn. I'll be bringing some Gamecube, Wii, and Saturn games back from Canada in December so it's not like I'll be starved for games for the next while, anyway.

Back
Top Bottom