Sony PS3 in Need of GPU "Reballing"

I have a backwards compatible PS3 that was capable of playing PS1 and PS2 games. Very handy if one wants to only have one system to play games for all 3 systems and basically upscale previous gen games to 1080 and using an HDMI cable.

Unfortunately mine has never really worked. Got it used forever ago, graphics started artifacting and I stopped using it in the hope I coul find someone who could fix it. I tested it out recently and it doesn't display anything anymore despite no yellow/orange light and having audio. Basic PS3 TS steps don't work.

Finally found a place that could take a look. They said the GPU needs to be "reballed". Told me it would cost 250 bucks (minus the 30 I paid for them to diagnose).

I could go any try my luck with another PS3, but backwards compatible PS3s are running 200+ on eBay and most of them are Japan imports. Plus, there's no telling how long those last before needing reballing, too.

Thoughts? I really don't want to hold onto 3 systems if I can keep one that plays all three, especially since neither the PS2 nor PS1 can use HDMI without mods and/or extra equipment. I can technically play PS1 games on my computer as emulators allow reading straight off the disc, but PS2 games are left in the dust in that regard.

Thoughts? I could get a slim PS2 and PS3 (already have the small PS1), but it's still extra stuff taking up space and more cables and controllers I need to keep track of, including whatever devices I get to upscale the two older systems to HDMI and 1080.

I'm not doing the reballing myself. If it was just a simple resoldering, I'd do it, solder kits are cheap and I know how to solder. However, reballing is something completely different, based on the video I linked, and I cannot do that.

Thoughts?

Edit: They said they could buy it off me for parts for $20, but I feel like I could get more on eBay and that doesn't really solve my dilemma.

If the shop guarantees their work, and the BC PS3 is something you definitely want, $250 seems reasonable considering the alternative would be a similarly priced secondhand unit that may or may not have the same issue (eventually)? But only if they guarantee their work, i.e., you only pay if they don't fuck up and deliver a functioning console. $20 "for parts" is not a particularly good look for their outfit at face value, though.

Personally I have a slim of all three mothballed in the garage. I'd pull out the PS3 and use that if I wanted to play a PS3 game, otherwise, I'm content just running an emulator for most PS1/PS2 games. Lots of nice bells and whistles available to make the experience better than just a simple HDMI hookup. Plus I backed up a decent chunk of it many years ago anyway, in the event I got lazy and the dreaded disc rot came a knockin'. Or y'know, a flood or some shit.

I might find a way to back up my games in the event of potential disc rot, but I would prefer to not use an emulator if I can. I see so many mods which are basically "remove the disc drive and stick an SD card reader in it's place" mods. I'm not doing that to my Dreamcast unless the disc drive no longer works.

I want to recheck with them as my console wasn't getting the yellow/orange light signifying an issue. I don't know if the GPU can die and still not give out the "something is fucked" light.

One thing I've always wondered about the PS3 fats -- once you get them fixed from an external source, will they not really break down again?

I ordered a refurbed PS3 Slim earlier this year because I had an early model Slim that has some issues and would crash whenever I tried to play God of War: Ascension.

Thought about getting a PS3Fat but was too worried about further issues down the road.

One thing I've always wondered about the PS3 fats -- once you get them fixed from an external source, will they not really break down again?
Can't say I've ever really been curious enough to look into it, but from a practical standpoint: If it's just something like shoddy construction, e.g., insufficient/improper soldering, incorrect/insufficient thermal paste, then doing a teardown and redoing those should result in a good (/permanent) lifespan.

But if, say, the solder/paste/warping/whatever failure is caused by poor design - not enough ventilation or a strong enough heatsink or something - like with the original X360, then you would probably expect the issue to reoccur.

Update: Repair methods failed. Offered to take it off my hands for parts and sell me another backwards compatible unit for 300 (I'm assuming that's after the trade in cost for a non working parts bin unit).

Based on prices on eBay, 300 is about the amount for a [advertised] working unit. There are some that are slightly below 300 (after shipping), but this place has a money back guarantee policy and it would be muuuuuuch easier to return the unit if it doesn't work.

Sucks about the console still not working. Honestly, ease of returns is the only reason I still patronize GameStop, so I definitely agree in leaning towards that option.

That being said I'm extraordinarily wary by nature, so I would personally drag along a couple games - a CD, a single-layer DVD, a dual-layer DVD and a BD - and have them test it in-store before walking out with it. Double check which model it is too, depending on whether you want the emotion engine or the software emulation variety of compatibility.

Do the fat ones have reliability issues? I have a slim PS3 that's never had any repairs done and still works fine.
Even as I was buying the replacement, the guy at the store was sure to point out that there is always the chance that they will fail. Big issue is that heat ends up causing issues. One thing I've noticed can be done is redoing the thermal paste. I've also seen replacing the power supply and putting in an SSD helps.

Once my 30 day "warranty" for my "new" PS3 ends, I'm going in and doing anything and everything I can to make sure I don't encounter issues later on.

Do the fat ones have reliability issues? I have a slim PS3 that's never had any repairs done and still works fine.
Yeah the fats are notorious for being unreliable. After those, the earliest model slims have some problems too. But later models and the super slims work pretty well. I think the super slims' wifi cards tend to go bust fairly frequently though. Later model slims are apparently the most reliable models.

$250 bucks doesn't sound half bad. I think it's always better to send the old consoles off to have them fixed instead of buying another one that's just going to run into the same issues.
Agreed, but it depends on the model sometimes. Early PS3 Slim models are kind of shit. Later models are better. I sold my old one and upgraded to a newer model.

Agreed, but it depends on the model sometimes. Early PS3 Slim models are kind of shit. Later models are better. I sold my old one and upgraded to a newer model.
I do think it is good idea to have a spare and just focus on repairing one when it breaks and play on the other. Just switch out. I have two xbox consoles. One is a Series X and one is a Series S still in the box unopened. There's a place in town that will repair it if it ever were to go to shit on me. They said their repair fee is around $80 dollars plus parts. They did say that if they can't fix it, they normally buy broken consoles and use them for spare parts.

Oh, I never did provide an update. I don't notice much in improvement in PS2 graphics on the PS3, but man, PS1 graphics look clean as fuck. Some games look better than others, but man, it's nice to be able to see PS1 era graphics without the ugly blur being pushed out by composite cables. Test Drive 5 looks immaculate.

Haven't had any issues with the "new" PS3 I got. Did find out that Motorstorm is a pain in the ass to play. Obnoxiously difficult right out of the gate. Took me numerous tries to place in the very first race. Track designs are complete garbage, and some vehicles do not have a good driving feeling, the AI comes back too easily. Uncharted is a slog to play. I expected a more action oriented Tomb Raider, I did not expect to have to shoot at endless waves of bad guys with boring weapons and a few platforming sections here and there.

I got 2 and 3 for the PS3 for dirt cheap. I don't have a PS4, and will likely not get one. My understanding is that the PS5 is completely backwards compatible with the PS4.
As cool as the PS5 is. They're crap when it comes to hardware, as in they have technical issues that Sony has not addressed yet and a lot of local places cannot repair them. Sony has made it where you have to fill out a form and mail them in for repairs, and even that is limited because Sony chooses what they will or won't fix. So it doesn't seem fair at all.

As cool as the PS5 is. They're crap when it comes to hardware, as in they have technical issues that Sony has not addressed yet and a lot of local places cannot repair them. Sony has made it where you have to fill out a form and mail them in for repairs, and even that is limited because Sony chooses what they will or won't fix. So it doesn't seem fair at all.
I'm fine waiting for newer better versions. I'm in absolutely no hurry to pick up Sony's consoles.

I'm fine waiting for newer better versions. I'm in absolutely no hurry to pick up Sony's consoles.
I'm just not cool with them treating parts like they're dealer items or making you mail it in if there's a place in town that can fix it for less than they will, or they may refuse to fix it at all based on what's broken. It's another reason why I'm not crazy about Sony consoles anymore. If a PC breaks, it gets fixed. If an Xbox breaks, there are parts to fix it. But not with the PS5. Oh no, can't have people repairing a 500 dollar investment gaming computer. Nope, Sony wants you to go buy another one instead.

It's only a matter of time before PS5 gets reverse engineered and third-party fixes litter the market, thankfully.

Also worth noting that Sony has always been like this. Their lens/disc drive reliability has been ass since Day 1; they never formally acknowledged Disc Read Error (DRE) being a thing on PS2 and that was massively widespread. They've never acknowledged every version of the DualShock having shit quality and being immensely prone to drift and dead zone issues.

Having two PS2s crap out on me back in the day was the primary motivator for getting into electronics tinkering/repair - shit's too expensive to become glorified paperweights.

Back
Top Bottom