U.S.A. Policing in America is nuts.

The jokes are only possible because all the shots those guys took at the car missed the kid handcuffed in the back seat.

But I'm sorry... You handcuffed him and put him in your squad car... Didn't you frisk him? HOW WOULD HE HAVE HAD THE GUN!

I don't know what the kid did, and I haven't followed up since I heard about this last week, but thankfully the kid wasn't hurt or worst...

In the body cam footage, I remember the guy repeatedly saying "I was hit." And even the backup that came said "where are you hit?" Followed up with "you're good."

Smdh...

Ok, the video you linked has more footage than what I originally saw. I had only seen from the "shots fired" and rolling around like an idiot part.

I also believe he didn't act maliciously. But he was a fucking idiot, and I'm glad the guy wasn't hurt. If your first instinct is to ROLL into the middle of the street where there is no cover and then proceed to mag dump into the car when there was only ONE supposed shot... you need help...

Like... why wouldn't you get behind any of the other cars in that street and monitor? And realize at that point, "Hmm... he's not still shooting. Let's bunker down and wait for backup."

Can't even hear the acorn in the video... so if you missed a silence firearm on first inspection, you STILL failed at your job.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
The jokes are only possible because all the shots those guys took at the car missed the kid handcuffed in the back seat.

But I'm sorry... You handcuffed him and put him in your squad car... Didn't you frisk him? HOW WOULD HE HAVE HAD THE GUN!

I don't know what the kid did, and I haven't followed up since I heard about this last week, but thankfully the kid wasn't hurt or worst...

In the body cam footage, I remember the guy repeatedly saying "I was hit." And even the backup that came said "where are you hit?" Followed up with "you're good."

Smdh...

Dude, I didn’t even bother giving my commentary on it for those reasons alone. The fact that the police union let him resign instead of terminating him is absolutely ridiculous to me.

The call supposedly began after a domestic incident that was escalated to an auto theft, Jackson allegedly stole his ex-girlfriend’s vehicle. Police were unable to make contact with him the first time, and ended up making contact the second attempt some time later, which is when the incident occurred. There’s no report of resistance or police brutality, it was essentially a textbook arrest up until the acorns hit the roof of the patrol car.

What blows my mind is that this occurred in November of last year, and it wasn’t until the conclusion of the investigation that it began making the national news circuit. Funny how that works…

Reactions: Jon

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I was gonna make a comment that I didn't realize this happened 4 months ago when I only heard about it last week. But in a day and age of cover ups... I'm not really surprised... so there's that.

I wouldn’t even suspect a coverup. It just simply doesn’t fit the narrative that makes national headlines… the officer’s last name is Hernandez. No mention of race on either side of the discussion, which strikes me as odd when if it were a cop with a last name like Smith… it would be included in the headlines with physical descriptors. It sends a very clear message… you can be a dipshit and a cop and not make headlines, you just can’t be a dipshit and a cop and white and not make headlines. This just shows another angle of what’s wrong with policing in this country.

• They’re Right, You Know?

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Like... why wouldn't you get behind any of the other cars in that street and monitor? And realize at that point, "Hmm... he's not still shooting. Let's bunker down and wait for backup."
This. Take cover, assess. If your instinct is to unload instantly, you're not good in a stressful situation and you should never have been a cop. Glad he's gone, but damn...that poor kid is lucky to be alive! No matter what he did, he doesn't deserve death by dumbass.

No mention of race on either side of the discussion, which strikes me as odd when if it were a cop with a last name like Smith… it would be included in the headlines with physical descriptors. It sends a very clear message… you can be a dipshit and a cop and not make headlines, you just can’t be a dipshit and a cop and white and not make headlines.
This is sort of what I was getting at with cover ups. Because this can't be placated off as "racism in America" it was held silent until the investigation completed. This would have been reported in November had the cop been white, I'm sure of it. Here. they were able to wait till the body cam footage had to be released post investigation.

Should be equal reporting across the board, not just when it's deemed allowable by main stream media.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
This. Take cover, assess. If your instinct is to unload instantly, you're not good in a stressful situation and you should never have been a cop. Glad he's gone, but damn...that poor kid is lucky to be alive! No matter what he did, he doesn't deserve death by dumbass.

This is beyond situational awareness. This is blatant ignorance. There’s no reason a cop should mistake acorns hitting a steel roof with gunfire. Recreate the sound if you can. Acorns don’t sound ANYTHING like gunfire. Even hedge apples can’t be mistaken for gunfire.

IMG_6782.jpeg

And THOSE fuckers are huge.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
Oh I know, it'd be damn near impossible to replicate the sound of gunfire with practically anything but gunfire. Even in the moment, I don't know how you'd make that mistake.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Oh I know, it'd be damn near impossible to replicate the sound of gunfire with practically anything but gunfire. Even in the moment, I don't know how you'd make that mistake.

It isn’t like you get tunnel vision and the sound gets drowned out. Your senses become amplified as soon as the adrenaline starts pumping, you’re able to pick up details like directional travel and everything during a live fire situation that you wouldn’t otherwise notice with a random gunshot in the background of what you’re paying attention to.

Crystal

Formerly Apollo
Administrator
GW Elder
It isn’t like you get tunnel vision and the sound gets drowned out. Your senses become amplified as soon as the adrenaline starts pumping, you’re able to pick up details like directional travel and everything during a live fire situation that you wouldn’t otherwise notice with a random gunshot in the background of what you’re paying attention to.
Yep, dude just doesn't have the guts to handle those situations adequately. Not standing here saying I'd be good in that situation, either, I know I'm a coward, lol, but I also don't carry or have a job that requires me to be in situations where gunfire is a distinct possibility. He does, and he clearly should not have ever been in that situation.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
This is sort of what I was getting at with cover ups. Because this can't be placated off as "racism in America" it was held silent until the investigation completed. This would have been reported in November had the cop been white, I'm sure of it. Here. they were able to wait till the body cam footage had to be released post investigation.

Should be equal reporting across the board, not just when it's deemed allowable by main stream media.
If the only video was the body cam, maybe that's why it wasn't in the news earlier? I feel like usually the police deny everything until a video a witness took starts making the rounds and contradicting them, and then the story blows up. I'm sure even white cops get away with tons of bullshit that nobody happened to record.

The fact that the police union let him resign instead of terminating him is absolutely ridiculous to me.
No kidding. He should be charged with a crime, and instead he isn't even fired from his job. The department needs to review their hiring and training procedures at a minimum.

I heard a theory the other day that a big part of why cops are terrified of everything is because companies attempting to sell them equipment do training that reinforces that fear. If you're afraid of every interaction and think any moment could become deadly to you, then you'll want a lot more equipment to defend yourself and subdue suspects. I'm not sure how true that is, but I can't argue with the logic of it.

If the only video was the body cam, maybe that's why it wasn't in the news earlier? I feel like usually the police deny everything until a video a witness took starts making the rounds and contradicting them, and then the story blows up. I'm sure even white cops get away with tons of bullshit that nobody happened to record.
The entirety of the footage Mark posted was body cam. The one I saw last week started when he was walking next to the car. It just missed the convo with the girlfriend that gives context to the crime. It was a non-violent crime and there was no resisting. All that context was just missed. The concept was the same though.

I'm not sure this qualifies to the level of a crime for him, especially because THANKFULLY the kid wasn't hurt. But he should have lost his job and been sentenced to some sort of gun safety class and probabtion.

And, I'm sorry, but idiots like him shouldn't be allowed to possess firearms... but it's 'Merica... and Florida, so he's on the street conceal carrying as we speak.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I'm not sure this qualifies to the level of a crime for him, especially because THANKFULLY the kid wasn't hurt.
Really?! If any person who wasn't a cop had done such a thing, you don't think they'd be in jail? It's fundamentally no different than scared people who shoot strangers turning around in their driveway or ringing their doorbell. There was no threat, and being a coward isn't a valid reason to shoot at an innocent person. Being a bad shot doesn't make it any better.

It is probably technically not a crime due to qualified immunity, but it should be, and it would be for anybody else.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
No kidding. He should be charged with a crime, and instead he isn't even fired from his job. The department needs to review their hiring and training procedures at a minimum.

At MINIMUM, discharging a firearm in public in an unsafe manner or some equivalent charge. If I walk outside and start discharging a firearm for the fuck of it, I’m getting charged. He should be no different.
I heard a theory the other day that a big part of why cops are terrified of everything is because companies attempting to sell them equipment do training that reinforces that fear. If you're afraid of every interaction and think any moment could become deadly to you, then you'll want a lot more equipment to defend yourself and subdue suspects. I'm not sure how true that is, but I can't argue with the logic of it.

That’s not entirely without merit. Even protective equipment, like the very bodycam that recorded this incident, is marketed in a way that tells potential customers that it’s in their best interest to use their product. It’s the fundamental building block of advertising, and when the product you’re hocking is geared towards cops… it makes sense to make it all about safety, self-defense, or lethality.

Really?! If any person who wasn't a cop had done such a thing, you don't think they'd be in jail? It's fundamentally no different than scared people who shoot strangers turning around in their driveway or ringing their doorbell. There was no threat, and being a coward isn't a valid reason to shoot at an innocent person. Being a bad shot doesn't make it any better.

It is probably technically not a crime due to qualified immunity, but it should be, and it would be for anybody else.
I don't disagree with the sentiment of course, but we do have to remember he IS a cop, and it IS during an arrest, and stupid or not, he legit did have a "reasonable" fear for his life. I disagree with his method and... rolling into the middle of the street... but if in the off chance he WAS being shot at, it's considered defense.

Again, I do not disagree with the premise, but this doesn't, to me, anyway, escalate to the level of a crime. Misdemeanor MAYBE if he weren't a cop (unlawful discharge of a firearm). We've seen a lot worse for a lot less in this country in terms of police violence. If the kid were hit or killed, totally different story as it rises to manslaughter charges. But again, police are awarded different levels because of inherent risks to their jobs.

All this, but I feel I need to stress, I DISAGREE with what he did. Rolling into the open and unloading an entire clip at his car where a handcuffed kid for a non-violent crime was is just STUPID. Had he taken cover without firing a bullet he would have realized quickly there was no threat. Watch the video. After rolling like a moron and screaming shots fired, you can see his partner on the left walking casually to the car as he's unloading like Rambo. Almost in a "what the fuck are you doing" manner. It wasn't until, if I recall the video now, that he said "I'm hit" did his partner open fire too.

what sucks most about police is that they never do enough to be useful and do too much of stupid shit like this.

I see videos on YT talking about how businesses are leaving some areas due to crime or are taking insane steps to avoid being robbed, like locking up underwear. I watch videos of people who have cars that are incredibly dangerous to drive (something I also see in person). I see cars with no headlights and/tail lights all the time. People run reds. I see reviews of apartment complexes complaining about the fucking gunshots. Parents are scared to let their kids walk to and from school like they used to do when they were kids. Many cities have major issues with drug abuse (meth, bathsalts, opiods). Gang warfare and organized crime STILL exists. Drunk drivers are still a massive issue.

But we have cops shooting at people because a fucking acorn fell on a car. We have cops. I see people pulled over with numerous cop cars surrounding it. We have cops shooting kids with toy guns. We have cops choking people out foe "resisting arrest".

When are cops going to actually do their jobs?

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I don't disagree with the sentiment of course, but we do have to remember he IS a cop, and it IS during an arrest, and stupid or not, he legit did have a "reasonable" fear for his life. I disagree with his method and... rolling into the middle of the street... but if in the off chance he WAS being shot at, it's considered defense.
Mmm, I see where you're coming from, but I think I still disagree. The arrest was done, and there had been no violence or resistance. He was in no more danger of being shot in that moment than any other random person on the street would be. There are certainly cases where a cop could shoot someone in the moment who turned out not to be a real threat, and the action could be seen as reasonable in the moment. This is not one of them. We cannot say "if you're a cop and you hear a loud noise, it's legal to unload your gun wherever." There is no other situation where that would be seen as remotely reasonable. I'd bet money even our soldiers in war zones don't get away with that.

Cops don't need to be given free reign to blam blam blam anything that spooks them. Their job is not actually that dangerous, despite what they claim.

what sucks most about police is that they never do enough to be useful and do too much of stupid shit like this.
Yep. "No cops" is also problematic for obvious reasons, but I'm not convinced they do more good than harm overall. There's got to be a better solution.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Additional Context:

Hernandez, who had been a deputy since January 2022, and his partner, Sgt. Beth Roberts, were responding to two service calls. The first, received at 8:42 a.m., involved "a vehicle driving around honking its horn and disrupting the peace since 3 a.m.," the sheriff's office said. The second call was from a woman who said her 22-year-old boyfriend, Marquis Jackson, had stolen her car and "had been calling and texting her threats." She "provided text messages she said had been taken from inside her vehicle showing what appeared to be a firearm suppressor pointing at the dash of the victim's vehicle."

Jackson, who showed up at the scene on McLaren Circle around 9:09 a.m., "was detained, searched, handcuffed, and placed in the rear of Deputy Hernandez's patrol vehicle while the investigation continued" and "the victim completed the affidavit for the stolen vehicle." She "told deputies Jackson had a silencer" but "she was not sure where it was" and added that he "had more than one weapon."

This may help explain his reaction to a squirrel attempting to murder him.

He's still completely unfit to serve as an officer, and hopefully he doesn't just do the typical move of relocating to another area and becoming a cop there.
Speaking as the son of a former police officer and thus saw the change happen gradually as politics became more and more weaponized and divisive: Its not just that (though that SURELY plays a part), but also just the general "culture war" that has led police to think they're basically in a warzone every day, when by the numbers its a relatively safe job.

Add to this the fact that most police officers don't even live in the community that they work in anymore, and it adds to the feeling of being part of an occupying force, rather than someone who should be there to serve and protect.

Mmm, I see where you're coming from, but I think I still disagree. The arrest was done, and there had been no violence or resistance. He was in no more danger of being shot in that moment than any other random person on the street would be. There are certainly cases where a cop could shoot someone in the moment who turned out not to be a real threat, and the action could be seen as reasonable in the moment. This is not one of them. We cannot say "if you're a cop and you hear a loud noise, it's legal to unload your gun wherever." There is no other situation where that would be seen as remotely reasonable. I'd bet money even our soldiers in war zones don't get away with that.

Cops don't need to be given free reign to blam blam blam anything that spooks them. Their job is not actually that dangerous, despite what they claim.
Oh, completely agree. Like I said, I agree with your premise and feelings. And I accept the disagreement and understand why. I'm glad he's not a cop anymore. I just don't think this warranted criminal charges. I really don't think there was malice. Just stupidity.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Oh, completely agree. Like I said, I agree with your premise and feelings. And I accept the disagreement and understand why. I'm glad he's not a cop anymore. I just don't think this warranted criminal charges. I really don't think there was malice. Just stupidity.
There doesn't have to be malice involved for something to be a crime. Shooting a gun into the sky typically isn't malicious, but it's still illegal because it's dangerous.

There doesn't have to be malice involved for something to be a crime. Shooting a gun into the sky typically isn't malicious, but it's still illegal because it's dangerous.
Not saying there has to be malice for it to be a crime. Just that I don't think he had it.

It's also Florida. Just driving on I-4 is dangerous. Shit, just stepping outside is dangerous because of idiots.

VashTheStampede

Caterpillar Accountant
Mr. Queen of the Dead
10K Post Club
Executive
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Not saying there has to be malice for it to be a crime. Just that I don't think he had it.

It's also Florida. Just driving on I-4 is dangerous. Shit, just stepping outside is dangerous because of idiots.
Reckless Endangerment is still on the books though.

John Candy No GIF by Laff

So do you think a cop should ever be charged for recklessly firing their gun, or only if it's done maliciously?
I think situation demands that. I do not think they are immune. I called for Derek Chauvin's head immediately. That asshole shouldn't have even gone to prison.

I mean, I'm not a fucking moron that thinks presidents should be able to murder political rivals and not get prosecuted unless they are impeached first... >.>

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder

I see videos on YT talking about how businesses are leaving some areas due to crime or are taking insane steps to avoid being robbed, like locking up underwear. I watch videos of people who have cars that are incredibly dangerous to drive (something I also see in person). I see cars with no headlights and/tail lights all the time. People run reds. I see reviews of apartment complexes complaining about the fucking gunshots. Parents are scared to let their kids walk to and from school like they used to do when they were kids. Many cities have major issues with drug abuse (meth, bathsalts, opiods). Gang warfare and organized crime STILL exists. Drunk drivers are still a massive issue.

But we have cops shooting at people because a fucking acorn fell on a car. We have cops. I see people pulled over with numerous cop cars surrounding it. We have cops shooting kids with toy guns. We have cops choking people out foe "resisting arrest".

When are cops going to actually do their jobs?

Probably never. The bar for being a cop is simultaneously dropping because of what they pay the average cop in a shitty area and rising because of the standards being mandated on a federal level as a direct result of the actions of shitty cops that came before. It’s really no different than teachers, if you think about it. Teachers in inner cities don’t make shit, so the only ones applying are entry-level teachers fresh out of college with no clue what they’re about to enter or people that barely skated by to earn their degrees needed to educate.

Precisely. It’s a part of responsible gun ownership. If you or I would be required to responsibly handle and use a firearm, a cop should be no different.

So do you think a cop should ever be charged for recklessly firing their gun, or only if it's done maliciously?

Personally, it should be as it is in most jurisdictions. Every round you discharge has to be accounted for. You don’t get to act like it’s the Wild West and unload an entire magazine without at the bare minimum, sitting in front of an IA board and explaining yourself. Considering Hernandez resigned, it was likely after that interview stage. In most instances of a resignation, the individual is interviewed first and then in between the interview and the hearing they’re approached by the police union advising them of their best course of action. It was likely at that point that he resigned.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I think situation demands that. I do not think they are immune. I called for Derek Chauvin's head immediately. That asshole shouldn't have even gone to prison.

I mean, I'm not a fucking moron that thinks presidents should be able to murder political rivals and not get prosecuted unless they are impeached first... >.>
I don't think you're a moron =] . I'm just wondering what would qualify as criminal recklessness for cops, in your opinion. Is this situation different for you because nobody got hurt, or because it was a shorter reaction and Chauvin had more time to think, or what?

I don't think you're a moron =] . I'm just wondering what would qualify as criminal recklessness for cops, in your opinion. Is this situation different for you because nobody got hurt, or because it was a shorter reaction and Chauvin had more time to think, or what?
I think with Chauvin the fact there were three others that didn't do anything to stop him and the fact that it's common knowledge that you don't cut off airway for 9 minutes especially when HE'S NOT MOVING OR RESISTING warranted the same thing happening to him. I've actually said that if you're gonna murder someone you should be murdered in the same way... but that's neither here nor there.

The differences to me, personally, are subtle here. Right or wrong, the cop legitimately feared for his life. Yes, he STUPIDLY fired his entire mag into the car. However, there was legitimate pause and you see him go to load another clip, but he stopped firing. When he finally got behind another car, he waited. Monitored... LIKE HE SHOULD HAVE FROM THE START.

I truly think he thought his life was in danger. And I do believe police have the right to defend themselves at that point. I think they need to be trained restraint and safety more, but malice, to me, is important in this instance. It's careless. It's reckless. It's dangerous. 100%. I think I said it above, that this could (and probably should) fall under a misdemeanor. Which could go as low as a fine and as high as jail time. But to classify this as a criminal offense is just too much given the circumstance.

Just my two cents. I have no issue with others believing differently. Contrary to popular belief, I don't argue for the sake of arguing. I'm looking at you, wife!

Since she'll never see this.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder

I’ll start…

Reckless driving.
Reckless endangerment.
Distracted driving.
Improper lane changes.
Changing lanes in the intersection.
Failure to signal intent.

…and that’s just before they get out of the car.

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I truly think he thought his life was in danger. And I do believe police have the right to defend themselves at that point.
What if people who are not cops truly believe their lives are in danger? Are they also allowed to start blasting acorns when they're startled?

I think I said it above, that this could (and probably should) fall under a misdemeanor. Which could go as low as a fine and as high as jail time. But to classify this as a criminal offense is just too much given the circumstance.
Misdemeanor crimes are still crimes, so I think we actually agree but are just using different terms. I don't think he needs to go away for life, and I agree the lack of malice is a mitigating factor. IMO the most important consequence for him should be having his access to firearms removed. Cop or not, that guy needs to never touch a gun again. Also maybe some therapy, it can't be healthy to be that jumpy!

What if people who are not cops truly believe their lives are in danger? Are they also allowed to start blasting acorns when they're startled?
Sadly, this is something that can't be just flat out answered. Most of us do not work inherently violent jobs where that's a daily risk. But in a silo, yes, people have the right to defend themselves. The standard is equal force. So if someone is coming at you with their fists, you shouldn't be pulling out a gun to shoot them. Whether we like it or not, I think cops have different standards... like the military.

But then this opens a whole other discussion about firearm rights, and I am one of the few that believe we've bastardized the second amendment and the NRA is to blame. Firearms are far too accessible in this country and the rules and regulations are far too few. I think we're wrong, but the NRA owns the political right. The data supports that crimes, VIOLENT crimes are lesser in countries with stronger and more restrictive firearms laws. The fact the Republicans want to keep arguing that everyone is entitled to own, conceal AND operate firearms with little to no regulation is absolutely pathetic, and I fear every day I send my kids to a public school in Florida. I never know if they're coming home.

Misdemeanor crimes are still crimes, so I think we actually agree but are just using different terms. I don't think he needs to go away for life, and I agree the lack of malice is a mitigating factor. IMO the most important consequence for him should be having his access to firearms removed. Cop or not, that guy needs to never touch a gun again. Also maybe some therapy, it can't be healthy to be that jumpy!
We probably are. Yes misdemeanor crimes are indeed crimes, but I was always referencing criminal charges, felonies, specifically, where manslaughter, murder and the like fall into. To which I believe this doesn't rise to THAT level.

Statistically, being a police officer is less dangerous than having a delivery job or being a garbage collector.
While I understand your concept, I do not think that's accurate unless you're looking at it in a microscope. Or with some filter on it. Like I know logging workers are consistently one of the most dangerous jobs in America, but for a TOTALLY different reason than police.

I don't disagree with your premise, but I can't find any evidence (in an admittedly super quick search) to either confirm or deny this. Police shows up on nearly every list of most dangerous jobs. Delivery and garbage on none of them. Other jobs with inherent danger (like logging workers, electrical and construction) all appear as well. But not for the violence I was referencing.

Again, I don't deny your claim. I just can neither support nor deny the claim based on what I found.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
While I understand your concept, I do not think that's accurate unless you're looking at it in a microscope. Or with some filter on it. Like I know logging workers are consistently one of the most dangerous jobs in America, but for a TOTALLY different reason than police.

I don't disagree with your premise, but I can't find any evidence (in an admittedly super quick search) to either confirm or deny this. Police shows up on nearly every list of most dangerous jobs. Delivery and garbage on none of them. Other jobs with inherent danger (like logging workers, electrical and construction) all appear as well. But not for the violence I was referencing.

Again, I don't deny your claim. I just can neither support nor deny the claim based on what I found.

They’re all totally circumstantial. A pizza delivery guy in an affluent area won’t become a victim to a robbery nearly as quickly as one in a dangerous area. As far as policing, I know a guy that runs radar on a slow day and is lucky to clock a few hundred cars in the small town he works in, with the worst story I’ve heard out of him was of a violent drunk that sucker punched him because he vomited in the back of the squad car and blamed it on the driving. I also know quite a few city cops that have been shot, shot at, or otherwise physically engaged by people.

• Agree

Kat

Orangekat, not Aphrodite
Kat
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I found this site which has a link to some stats page to back up its claim: https://www.hanningsacchetto.com/bl...-than-construction-workers-or-police-officers

1000006267.png

If you talk to anybody who has delivered pizza for a while, they'll almost certainly have stories to tell you about being robbed.

Here's another list which seems like it comes from the same ultimate source, and it lists both garbage collectors and delivery drivers as more dangerous than cops. It's mostly transportation accidents for them both, but the other site says 17% are due to violence for delivery drivers. Looking at the numbers between the two, it seems like the violence for delivery drivers is just getting drowned out by the accident rate, and it's significantly dangerous in both ways (17% of delivery drivers deaths is more than the total number of cop deaths)

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I found this site which has a link to some stats page to back up its claim: https://www.hanningsacchetto.com/bl...-than-construction-workers-or-police-officers

View attachment 9674

If you talk to anybody who has delivered pizza for a while, they'll almost certainly have stories to tell you about being robbed.

Here's another list which seems like it comes from the same ultimate source, and it lists both garbage collectors and delivery drivers as more dangerous than cops. It's mostly transportation accidents for them both, but the other site says 17% are due to violence for delivery drivers. Looking at the numbers between the two, it seems like the violence for delivery drivers is just getting drowned out by the accident rate, and it's significantly dangerous in both ways (17% of delivery drivers deaths is more than the total number of cop deaths)

Absolutely, and most of those with bad stories come from delivering in urban or impoverished environments where the crime of robbing a pizza delivery person for what equates to petty cash is worth the risk you take robbing them. Nowadays with the popularity of delivery services like UberEats and DoorDash, those kind of drivers are known to be targeted more frequently for their cars or phones than their merchandise since they’re of higher value. There was a story here about people ordering Hyundai Ubers just to carjack them since there’s a massive security issue with those and Kia’s that make them incredibly easy to steal.

Back
Top Bottom