Playing Neo Game Games without Buying an Extremely Expensive Neo Geo Console

Been trying to figure out a realistic manner in which to play Neo Geo games without buying the Neo Geo AES or CMVS (consolized version of the arcade machine). The issue with Neo Geo is that the systems and games are prohibitively expensive because they're literally arcade games and machines. You need two things: Lots of money, and space to store the machines and carts. So, I need to figure out alternatives without going the emulator route. Not everything they released on the Neo Geo got a release on the Saturn and not everything on the Saturn is affordable enough.

Things I've found so far:

To start, I do have some of their ports.

- Fatal Fury (SNES)
- Fatal Fury 2 (Genesis)
- Samuari Shodown (SNES)
- Art of Fighting (SNES)
- Samuari Spirits Best Collection (Saturn) - Japan edition of Samuari Shodown 3 and 4 in a combo collection
- KoF '97 (Saturn) (supposedly the best KoF on the system)
- Fatal Fury Mark of the Wolves (Dreamcast) (I lost the box and manual :( )
- KoF Evolution (Dreamcast) (port of KoF 99)
- KoF EX Neoblood (GBA port of KoF 99)

As well as the following for the Neo Geo Pocket Color that I forever ago altogether:
- Sonic Pocket Adventure
- Pac-Man
- King of Fighters R2
- Fatal Fury Contact
- Puzzle Bobble Mini
- Metal Slug 1st Mission (my only copy of a Metal Slug game)
- SNK vs Capcom The Match of the Millennium
- Samuari Shodown 2
- The Last Blade
- Neo Turf Masters (it's a golf game)

If there's still a version of a game on the Xbox 360 marketplace still, I'm going to try them and maybe buy them before they close the marketplace in June. I think Samuari Shodown 2 still on the marketplace.

Things I'm looking into (note, I do not have a PS4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series S/X):

- Trading in both Genesis and SNES Fatal Fury games for Fatal Fury Special for the SNES. FF 1 for the SNES is garbo, and FF2 for the Genesis is fine, but the FF Special port for the SNES supposedly the best port in those systems.
- Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol 1 - Fatal Fury 1-3 and Special for the PS2.
- Fatal Fury Battle Archives Vol 2 - the FF Real Bout games, on the PS2.
- SNK Arcade Classics Vol 1 (Wii or PS2)
- Metal Slug Athology for the PS2 (supposedly the Wii version doesn't let you use the classic controller, so that's a no go for me)
- Samurai Shodown NeoGeo Collection for the Switch
- Art of Fighting Athology for the PS2

I won't be owning the newest Samuari Shodown game because of it's obnoxious price on the Switch (it's paltable on the PS4, but I don't have a PS4).

Any thought on ports I should be looking into? I've see certain devices designed to play a large host of Neo Geo games, but one is basically an emulator that is a half sized arcade cabnient and the other is the Neo Geo Mini, which is basically a mini arcade cabinent, and unlike the SNES and NES Minis, there is no HDMI port, you have to play on that tiny LED screen. Also, while the Neo Geo CD is much cheaper than the AES or even the MVS, I don't still don't know if that's an acceptable option. PS1 ports are unacceptable options.

Edti: I don't have a PC Engine (TurboGraphix 16).

No option is going to be as good as the authentic real-deal thing. Even Switch ports suffer from input lag in various games.

I don't have much to offer here, but it might be worth checking out jauce.com. You can find better deals there than eBay. You could find a neogeo for a decent price. Might require searching it in Japanese though.

Here's a Neo Geo CD with a few games currently going for around $130 US:

If you're confident with repair, might even find a good deal. This one is currently about $30 and probably only needs a laser repair:

Neo Geo CD has long load times for Fighting games and Metal Slug, and those are the games I'd pretty much be getting for the system. Not to mention, games released after it got discontinued in 97 aren't in the library.

I have too many consoles as is right now. That's why I didn't really want to buy an actual Master System and went with a cheap adapter instead, and why I wanted to get a PS3 that has PS2 backwards compatibility. Not to mention an Atari Jaguar that doesn't work for some reason, and 2 Xboxs, 360s, N64s, and SNES'. Doubles I intend to trade in at some point. Plus, I don't really want to commit a bunch of time and money to another system. If I buy another system, I have to buy a bunch of games for it to make the cost worth it. It's a big reason why I've never touched the Sega CD, 32X, 3DO, and PS4/PS5, XBONE/Series S/X. Would prefer to stick to buying games for systems I already own.

I'm not exactly looking for perfect ports, and a slight "imput lag" isn't going to be that big a deal for someone who is a super casual gamer.

I will say, it took me WAAAAAAY to long to realize how awesome the Turbo setting is in fighting games. The original SF2 and SSF2 is borderline unplayable next to SF2 Turbo with turbo enabled.

I'm not exactly looking for perfect ports, and a slight "imput lag" isn't going to be that big a deal for someone who is a super casual gamer.
I've never thought of you as a "super casual gamer" given your knowledge and some of the games you rhyme off.
Tbf out of all of the games, this would be the easiest system to buy for šŸ˜‚ I think there's, what, 2 games worth owning?
This was my latest dumbass purchase. I thought the library was wayyyy smaller than it was and that it'd be happy with Snatcher and Popful Mail.... I've made a terrible mistake.

I've never thought of you as a "super casual gamer" given your knowledge and some of the games you rhyme off.
when it comes to actually playing the games, I'm pretty casual. I rarely finish games.
Tbf out of all of the games, this would be the easiest system to buy for šŸ˜‚ I think there's, what, 2 games worth owning?
Hence why it wouldn't be worth the cost of buying the add-on. I'd get After Burner maybe. Not worth buying a system for a simple arcade game that has ports on many different systems (most of them shit besides the Saturn and 32x versions).

There is no way you're getting Samurai Shodown on the Switch for 40 bucks. For some reason the price of that version skyrocketed, whereas the PS4 copy can be found for 20 bucks.

Those prices on Game Stop's website are BS, and you can't even add it to your cart because they don't and won't have any copies to sell for 40 bucks unless it's only the cart and it's in bad shape.

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Your only other option then is to get it digitally where it's still $50 bucks. Otherwise you're going to come across all the high reseller prices.

I bought the digital version of Fatal Fury Mark of the Wolves on the Switch.

You can't get a more barebones release than this. It's basically a direct arcade port with an online leaderboard.

It has 4 modes, all are slightly variations of the arcade mode. Japanese language version, English language version, a HI Score Mode, and a "Caravan" mode which is basically a "see how far you can make it in 5 minutes" time attack type mode.

No practice, no online multi-player (I assume local MP works), no extras. Plenty of settings and a digital version of the game manual (which includes the special moves for the characters).

For what is considered to be the pinnacle of the Fatal Fury series, SNK put no effort into bringing it to modern day consoles.

Back
Top Bottom