Old School Chat Rooms

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Who here remembers the days of AOL chat rooms, AIM and other chats as such? If you're not aware, they were basically how Discord is now, except a lot more trolling and people trying to hook up lol. I still have friends that I talk to on occasion from those even to this day.

Ben

Stoned Guardian
Badministrator
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
GW Elder
...What's AIM?

Sarcasm, very much. I think pretty much all of the old members from the original site used AIM heavily. MSN, too. It was essentially our Administrative/Moderator team's Teams/Slack. @Mark literally just reminded me of his blue Book Antiqua text. A trip down memory lane, for sure.

Teamspeak/Ventrillo was also a big thing.

IRC was probably the ultimate place certain people ended up in so far as a "chatroom".

Actual internet chat rooms at the time were horrifically moderated, though. They were just flooded with kids too young to be unsupervised, just like forums were. Probably wasn't good for our generation. 🙃

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
...What's AIM?

Sarcasm, very much. I think pretty much all of the old members from the original site used AIM heavily. MSN, too. It was essentially our Administrative/Moderator team's Teams/Slack. @Mark literally just reminded me of his blue Book Antiqua text. A trip down memory lane, for sure.

Teamspeak/Ventrillo was also a big thing.

IRC was probably the ultimate place certain people ended up in so far as a "chatroom".

Actual internet chat rooms at the time were horrifically moderated, though. They were just flooded with kids too young to be unsupervised, just like forums were. Probably wasn't good for our generation. 🙃

It was Bookman Old Style, but the internet seems to have forgotten it somewhere in time. I picked that color back then because it was the hex code for the blue on one of my tattoos, and I still use it to this day for a setting on my LED lights.

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I didn't really frequent chatrooms. I might've only ever actually joined one for GW/PIMI through ICQ or something similar. Beyond that, it was just forums and IMs.

TS and Vent both got used a lot though. I was more on Vent for forever until TS3. Then it was just whoever preferred to use what at a given time.

Gloom-is-good

2.5 raccoons in a trench coat
GW Elder
Wow I can't recall when I last logged into AIM or MSN.. or why I stopped. I guess when FB added the chat feature..?

I remember being in some of those GW AIM group chats but because some people had blocked me, I was only seeing parts of conversations and that got confusing. Good times 😄

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Wow I can't recall when I last logged into AIM or MSN.. or why I stopped. I guess when FB added the chat feature..?

I remember being in some of those GW AIM group chats but because some people had blocked me, I was only seeing parts of conversations and that got confusing. Good times 😄

How the hell did you manage to piss anyone off enough to block you?

Ben

Stoned Guardian
Badministrator
Executive
GWF Sponsor
Administrator
GW Elder
I never used AIM, believe it or not - I was very much in to MSN messenger and Microsofts network of chat rooms. Back when the internet was really fun.
Honestly, in my experience MSN was the big thing in the UK. Sounds like perhaps all of Europe based on what @Nae'blis said.

I only started using AIM because of Americans.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I also remember the chat Yahoo had within their games. I used to play pool there.
If profile pics were a thing for Yahoo pool, this would be my avatar for shits & giggles: Bret Hart looking like he's headed off to a game of snooker. =P

View attachment 14543

Y’all… I miss Yahoo pool. That 8-Ball Pool game in the App Store couldn’t hold a candle to it.

Remember Yahoo Towers?

Salute Aye Aye Captain GIF

Lee

XF Wizard
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Commissioner
It is funny, because there are literal sub reddits out there of people reminiscing about "the old days of the internet" and only having large corporations owning all the social platforms, with no independent forums / communities to hang around on.

We did this to ourselves. We allowed social media to take over. The internet was a much better place before the social media train ruined everything.

We have all the power to make things right again, but will we do it?

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
It is funny, because there are literal sub reddits out there of people reminiscing about "the old days of the internet" and only having large corporations owning all the social platforms, with no independent forums / communities to hang around on.

We did this to ourselves. We allowed social media to take over. The internet was a much better place before the social media train ruined everything.

We have all the power to make things right again, but will we do it?

We will in our little dark corner over here, but I don’t have much hope elsewhere. Nostalgia is popular, as it always is, but there’s too much corporate power at play for niche communities to ever be more than that, and I’m cool with that.

I’d much rather be a part of a community with a few hundred people than one with a few million where damn near every conversation gets buried unless it goes viral. I remember back when GW was at peak activity, and even that was too much to keep track of some days. That’s part of the reason we really only saw Al in the mod forum, because by the time he got done with his day to day life, he only had a little bit of time left to run through all of the threads there. Some days, he didn’t even finish hitting all of the threads before he ran out of time.

We will in our little dark corner over here, but I don’t have much hope elsewhere. Nostalgia is popular, as it always is, but there’s too much corporate power at play for niche communities to ever be more than that, and I’m cool with that.

I’d much rather be a part of a community with a few hundred people than one with a few million where damn near every conversation gets buried unless it goes viral. I remember back when GW was at peak activity, and even that was too much to keep track of some days. That’s part of the reason we really only saw Al in the mod forum, because by the time he got done with his day to day life, he only had a little bit of time left to run through all of the threads there. Some days, he didn’t even finish hitting all of the threads before he ran out of time.
100%, I've never personally been a fan of centralized platforms. I've always found it to be a toxic cesspool. There's what you mentioned above, people arrogantly bragging about their lives, people whining & bickering back & forth, and all sorts of ridiculous bullshit. That's always been a problem, even when they first started catching on, and that was enough to know it's not for me.

I'm far happier being in a smaller community where people are more closely knit, and can just relax & be themselves.

Back
Top Bottom