Nintendo Nintendo sues the developers of YUZU, switch emulator

aiat_gamer

GW Elder

Here we go again, I think this might be the fourth or even fifth time these companies try to sue Emulator developers, even though it has been clearly stablished Emulators by themselves are perfectly legal. I thought by now everyone is used to seeing emulators as long as they don't provide roms and copy protected stuff.

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Well, there's couple extra things this time specifically from what I read.

First being the leaked TotK being played on it. Not the devs fault, but supposedly there was a surge of patreon supporters during that time too, so there's an argument for making money on that.

Second is that Nintendo is also saying Yuzu cracked some security things to make the emulator work in the first place. Not entirely sure what kind of security or just a type of copyright protection, but it's there.

Whatever happens with this case, I don't think it would affect emulators now or later. Yuzu might vanish though. Who knows.

Well, there's couple extra things this time specifically from what I read.

First being the leaked TotK being played on it. Not the devs fault, but supposedly there was a surge of patreon supporters during that time too, so there's an argument for making money on that.

Second is that Nintendo is also saying Yuzu cracked some security things to make the emulator work in the first place. Not entirely sure what kind of security or just a type of copyright protection, but it's there.

Whatever happens with this case, I don't think it would affect emulators now or later. Yuzu might vanish though. Who knows.
Yuzu also released a patch specifically geared around TOTK during the pre-release period in order to make the game work. And dangled the TOTK patch pre-release as an incentive to triple their Patreon.

It sucks. I wish Yuzu wasn't so dumb, because it would be really shitty if some of the legality of emulation was taken away by this.

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Welp. I was kind of hoping there was going to be some kind of a case that would've resulted in, at worst, yuzu needing to pay reparations for the leaked TotK sales "lost" and whatnot, but nothing about not get touched on the emulation side. That probably would've been the best case for most people, but it's also not a super good idea to go against Nintendo.

I would say settlement is the best case, generally speaking. No judicial rulings changing anything in any way for anyone else, just a group of dumbasses getting nuked from orbit and life continuing on for others. Plus the internet being forever and all that.

If they settled (and had that amount of money available to settle with), then presumably they did some fuckery with reverse engineering and reusing Nintendo's own code in their product. IIRC that's been the hard stop limit for a hot minute. Like it's fine to make and maintain an emulator, but sharing and distributing BIOS for, say, PS2 emulation was strictly illegal.

Back
Top Bottom