NFL Week 8 Thread

A football game was played today.

I completely forgot and missed it as I was trying to log into my Xbox 360 for the first time in almost a decade.

Bills won. NFL.com isn't showing me the stats, so I can't see how well Baker played.
From what I watched he wasn't terrible, didn't throw an interception. Got sacked a few times, fumbled and recovered. Lost

From what I watched he wasn't terrible, didn't throw an interception. Got sacked a few times, fumbled and recovered. Lost
I had the Bills defense in my league of record... and I had Baker in my dynasty league (because Fields is hurt)... I had a mixed bag. A pick 6 would have been nice lol.

But my defense got me 9 points, and Baker got me 20. So I'm ok. Don't wanna quit the week yet this week. That's a plus.

Fire Queen

official GWF wolfmistress (sometimes) | she/they
GW Elder
watching c.j. stroud lead a beautiful 92-yard touchdown drive against my panthers including going 4/4 on third down

I Guess If You Say So GIF

I'm gonna post my analysis here because Reddit will freak out on me, but as a Chiefs fan, there are so many things that went wrong here. Firstly - the defence was amazing. They did their job. There were a lot of calls against Sneed, and I doubt that all of them were legitimate, but it is what it is.

Next - Dave Toub needs to go. This isn't an overreaction to one game, but he is the worst special teams coach in the league. He used to be the best (he was Hester's coach), but it's time to acknowledge that we fumble on punts more than anyone. The Chiefs have tried everyone at that position - Hardman, Moore, Toney, Watson. The only guy who was reliable was Watson, but they need to just never catch a punt again. When you have Patrick Mahomes, you are better off being 5-10 yards further back and never turning the ball over, than you are getting a few yards on a punt return. We don't need our special teams to score; we just need them to allow our offence to get a drive going.

As for the offence, it is well-known that our receivers are terrible. Rashee Rice is our only good WR and he's still developing. But I don't want to focus on the receivers because I think they're only one problem amidst many. The play design that the Chiefs have is really bad. If you watch receivers (what little you can see from the normal camera angles), every receiver runs 5 yards and then stops and stands still. It works for Kelce because he just makes up routes based on where the holes are in the defence, but you can't have 5 guys doing that or else there's no play, nor are the other guys good enough to do it anyways.

So now you get Mahomes holding the ball because he doesn't trust his receivers to make contested catches, and they aren't open anyways. Ironically, our offensive line is so good that it's also causing problems. Before, Mahomes would get pressure and bail out to the right or the left. The receivers would try to follow him and the corners would fall off, allowing for huge gains. But the pocket is clean for so long now that Mahomes just stands still in the pocket, and so the receivers just stand still because they're still in Mahomes' sight.

I'm putting this on Andy Reid (people blame Nagy when the Chiefs offence sucks and credit Reid when it's good; it can't be both). How often do you see the Chiefs run slants or drags? Those are the plays our receivers need to get open, but instead, they run hitches and curls. When we do go horizontal, it's always behind the line of scrimmage to our RBs, so we end up losing yards.

This wasn't as big of a deal yesterday, but our play calling on 3rd and 1/4th and 1 is really bad. We always try to run jet sweeps on 3rd and 1, resulting in losing yards and making it harder to go for it on 4th down. If we don't do that, we try to run the ball out of the shotgun, which never works (I saw several other teams try and fail at this yesterday, so it's not just the Chiefs). Also, Andy Reid chose to punt on 4th and medium from the Broncos' 40 or so yesterday and that was really an instance where we needed to be more aggressive.

Overall, it's tough to be upset with what the team has brought us over the last few years, but if I can see the problems with our offence, you'd think Andy Reid could too.

He shouldn't have gone to the world series in Texas on Friday either. Between jet lag and Taylor, he was bushwhacked.
The world series game was in Dallas, the football game in Denver. You're not going to get jetlag from a one hour difference.

Also, the effect of jet lag not as bad as people like to claim it is. I don't fly often, but when I went to Hawaii last year, I didn't have any issues adjusting. A pro football player in their 20s and in peak physical condition are not going to suffer from jet lag worse than someone in their late 30s who makes no effort to be physically fit.

The world series game was in Dallas, the football game in Denver. You're not going to get jetlag from a one hour difference.

Also, the effect of jet lag not as bad as people like to claim it is. I don't fly often, but when I went to Hawaii last year, I didn't have any issues adjusting. A pro football player in their 20s and in peak physical condition are not going to suffer from jet lag worse than someone in their late 30s who makes no effort to be physically fit.
Friends Lol GIF by Schitt's Creek

Back
Top Bottom