PC Next PC Build

xDXxAscension

Ray
GW Elder
So just want some opinions on my next build. So far I've got these parts I'm keeping an eye on.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus Prime B450M-A II Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard
Memory: TEAMGROUP Elite 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 CL22 Memory
Storage: Western Digital Green SN350 960 GB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive
Video Card: ASRock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6750 XT 12 GB
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold

Mainly use it for gaming but some Blender(3d) work and some photoshop work. Been throwing parts back and forth like crazy. Haven't built a new PC since 2013.

xDXxAscension

Ray
GW Elder
I'd wager you could probably slip by with a 500w, but honestly it never hurts to have a little bit more than you need, so I'm sure the 750 will be fine :)
See that's what I was thinking too, the Graphics Card suggests 700W even though its TDP is 200W.

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Got a budget? I'm pretty good at finding good things and I've been trying to stay on top of what's good in the component world for PCs. And do you have a preference between AMD and Intel?

xDXxAscension

Ray
GW Elder
Got a budget? I'm pretty good at finding good things and I've been trying to stay on top of what's good in the component world for PCs.
Not really man. The build I've got above, I've done some research with YT videos and the GPU and CPU and it's a behemoth with gaming. It's just when it comes to power supplies I generally have absolutely no idea. My last PC i built in 2013 I overkilled with a 850W.

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Not really man. The build I've got above, I've done some research with YT videos and the GPU and CPU and it's a behemoth with gaming. It's just when it comes to power supplies I generally have absolutely no idea. My last PC i built in 2013 I overkilled with a 850W.
Depending on what you had, probably. Granted, even today, having 100W or ever 200W extra is good practice if you can't afford it. Just gives your PC a bit of headroom if/when there's sudden spikes due to... Whatever is happening. And all PSUs, the number on the box just means their top wattage, not what they can sustain. Generally it's 80% of the number that everyone tries to hit at a minimum in varying degrees, so even a 100W is technically only 800W sustained, 500W is 400W and all the gradient in between.

tl;dr, slightly bigger than you need is good.

Striving for one that has a "80+ gold" label on it will be fairly efficient and should also be good quality.

I threw in your parts into pcpartpicker as it looked like that's where you were doing it already. Personally, I find $2000 being the sweet spot for a really good and powerful mid-high range PC that should run you for the next 5-10 years. Technology is changing, for games at least, that leverage software and AI stuff, so there might not even be a need to upgrade that any time soon. But if $2000 seems too much, let me know.

Your current setup, with an added case I like: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/jdRxGP @ ~$1000

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Here's what I came up with:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K 3.4 GHz 16-Core Processor ($364.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: MSI MAG CORELIQUID P240 78.73 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING B760M-PLUS WIFI Micro ATX LGA1700 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL36 Memory ($99.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 PCIe 3.0 X4 NVME Solid State Drive ($85.78 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI VENTUS 2X BLACK OC GeForce RTX 4060 Ti 16 GB Video Card ($449.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow ATX Mid Tower Case ($89.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM750e (2023) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($99.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1460.70
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2023-09-04 14:09 EDT-0400

• Different CPU that's better that doesn't cost a lot more, switching also over to DDR5.
  • MOBO with built in wifi since it's always convenient.
  • AIO water cooling is usually better these days than the tried and true CM Hyper 212. And they're not bad to install.
  • Better storage @2TB. This one is faster and more storage is never bad.
  • Memory is the same 32gb, though depending on your blender level, you might want to get two sets of those sticks. Only another $100
  • GPU wise, I'd really recommend any of the Nvidia 40 series, apart from the 4070. Honestly, the 4080 would be the nicest to get if you got the monies. Just make sure you got 16GB of video memory or more on it. Helps with games and rendering.
  • Case, I got the Corsair 4000D airflow and I like it. So I recommend it.
  • PSU, the one you had also works for this just fine. Not a horrible PSU.
  • And the total is only about $400 more than before and there's a lot more PC than before. Honestly, only a better GPU would bring the price up and/or doubling your ram to 64. Both would bring you to like $2200.

So there you go. Of course, building yourself, especially if you got time and aren't in a hurry, there's always sales where you get things cheaper than they are now. It's def possible to save $100-200 on just the stuff I got listed for you.

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
As for your OS, well... Use whatever you want. :D I'm a basic ass Windows user, so I can't tell you much about the others. And that you can also use these days without needing to buy a license if you can stand the lack of changing the theme, having a watermark at the bottom right, and some other minorish things.

... or I heard there's some cheap ones sold on eBay, but that's just a rumor I heard in passing from some people talking. :paranoid

xDXxAscension

Ray
GW Elder
The Intel vs AMD was a big debate between a buddy and I in discord the last few weeks. I'm torn between the two honestly.

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Honestly, Intel currently has the upper hand, where as AMD does win on anything single threaded and gaming with their 3D v-cache cpus. At least on the higher end of things. As for value in the middle-end cpus... I think AMD does still hold a tight grip there as Zen is just good with power to performance.

I ran AMD in my first couple computers and sadly at that time my choice was poor with subpar ones at the time when I was less informed with everything. Eventually I did land myself in the middle of Zen 2 and was happy with my 2700x. From there I could ride it for a good while until I now got a 13700k that should last me quite a while. There were times when I was tempted to jump get a almost any Zen 3 chip and replace my old with just a bios upgrade, but... At the time I still had all the cpu horsepower I needed and was just running behind on gpu and eventually ram as Chrome kept on growing hungrier.

Jawneh

Full-time time waster
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I like shopping for parts and building computers. At this point, 4/6 computers in the household are built by me. The other two are one for my nephew to use when he's over (since it was a cheap thing) and my mother-in-law has her own that was a good box for what she uses it for.

xDXxAscension

Ray
GW Elder
Bumping for a new build I've put together.
Any suggestions on changes are welcomed before I start grabbing parts.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 7950X3D 4.2 GHz 16-Core Processor ($619.90 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE CAPELLIX XT 65.57 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($199.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Gigabyte X670E AORUS PRO X ATX AM5 Motherboard ($299.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Dominator Titanium 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6600 CL32 Memory ($193.38 @ Amazon)
Video Card: PowerColor Red Devil Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card ($979.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT H6 Flow RGB ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($119.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $2543.23

xDXxAscension

Ray
GW Elder
Do you really need a Ryzen 9?

Wouldn't a Ryzen 7 be fine?
I mean honestly it probably would. But I'll be doing a bunch of photo editing, 3d work(blender, unreal engine).

CPU is the only thing I've been bouncing back and forth with. Reviews say they are great for gaming but productivity with them lacks a little vs say the 14900k. But the 14900k runs super super hot.

Back
Top Bottom