Sensitive New York appeals court overturns Harvey Weinstein’s 2020 r*pe conviction from landmark #MeToo trial

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru

NEW YORK (AP) — New York's highest court on Thursday overturned Harvey Weinstein 's 2020 rape conviction, finding the judge at the landmark #MeToo trial prejudiced the ex-movie mogul with "egregious" improper rulings, including a decision to let women testify about allegations that weren't part of the case.

"We conclude that the trial court erroneously admitted testimony of uncharged, alleged prior sexual acts against persons other than the complainants of the underlying crimes," the court's 4-3 decision said. "The remedy for these egregious errors is a new trial."

The state Court of Appeals ruling reopens a painful chapter in America's reckoning with sexual misconduct by powerful figures — an era that began in 2017 with a flood of allegations against Weinstein. His accusers could again be forced to retell their stories on the witness stand.

The court's majority said "it is an abuse of judicial discretion to permit untested allegations of nothing more than bad behavior that destroys a defendant's character but sheds no light on their credibility as related to the criminal charges lodged against them."

In a stinging dissent, Judge Madeline Singas wrote that the majority was "whitewashing the facts to conform to a he-said/she-said narrative," and said the Court of Appeals was continuing a "disturbing trend of overturning juries' guilty verdicts in cases involving sexual violence."

"The majority's determination perpetuates outdated notions of sexual violence and allows predators to escape accountability," Singas wrote.

Weinstein, 72, has been serving a 23-year sentence in a New York prison following his conviction on charges of criminal sex act for forcibly performing oral sex on a TV and film production assistant in 2006 and rape in the third degree for an attack on an aspiring actress in 2013.

He will remain imprisoned because he was convicted in Los Angeles in 2022 of another rape and sentenced to 16 years in prison. Weinstein was acquitted in Los Angeles on charges involving one of the women who testified in New York.

Weinstein lawyer Arthur Aidala said immediately after the ruling came out: "We all worked very hard and this is a tremendous victory for every criminal defendant in the state of New York."

Attorney Douglas H. Wigdor, who has represented eight Harvey Weinstein accusers including two witnesses at the New York criminal trial, called the ruling "a major step back in holding those accountable for acts of sexual violence."

"Courts routinely admit evidence of other uncharged acts where they assist juries in understanding issues concerning the intent, modus operandi or scheme of the defendant. The jury was instructed on the relevance of this testimony and overturning the verdict is tragic in that it will require the victims to endure yet another trial," Wigdor said in a statement.

I hope I tagged the post correctly. Also it's a super long article so the rest is in the link.

It's pathetic because the reason for the overturn is that the prosecutors had testimony and evidence from crimes that were NOT a part of the charges in the trial and the judge didn't disallow them. I'm glad the fucker is still in prison, but this is why it's so hard to convict criminals in this country. Especially ones with money...

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
I haven’t followed this… was this appeal in an attempt for a compassionate release due to his failing health? That was the last thing I’ve heard regarding the case.

(No… I haven’t read the article yet. Just dumbfounded by the fact that this predatory piece of shit is getting his conviction overturned.)

I haven’t followed this… was this appeal in an attempt for a compassionate release due to his failing health? That was the last thing I’ve heard regarding the case.

(No… I haven’t read the article yet. Just dumbfounded by the fact that this predatory piece of shit is getting his conviction overturned.)
Nope, he's still in jail for a different crime. But one of his rape convictions was overturned.

• This Is Fine
Reactions: TD
I'm sure that makes the victim feel fucking wonderful.
The sad thing is, by law they did the right thing. And as a former student of the legal variety, I appreciate seeing our judicial system do the right thing for once. I, however, wish the worst for that POS human Weinstein, so I'm torn.

But I also have the Supreme Court and Trump's cases to destroy my faith in the system again.

Let's call it a double-edged sword.

US Judicial System Following the Law.

Celebrate Season 1 GIF by The Roku Channel

It Overturned the Conviction of a Serial Rapist and Overall Waste of Human Space.

Big Sean Omg GIF

• This is the Way
Reactions: TD
The court's majority said "it is an abuse of judicial discretion to permit untested allegations of nothing more than bad behavior that destroys a defendant's character but sheds no light on their credibility as related to the criminal charges lodged against them."
Bold is the takeaway for me. Blackmailing/coercing/lording power/Boys' Club rhetoric and abuse that will forever see women kept in "their proper place" is simply bad behavior and immaterial to other bad behavior that men do.

Ergo, if you're going to assault and rape women, make sure you do it a lot. And get them all in separate trials! Because it's immaterial that you're a serial predator when the case against you is that you're a serial predator that abuses your power and station to... serially... abuse... people...

WAIT A MINUTE

If the laws are shameful and inadequate, change them. Else, don't be surprised when you get lumped in with the abusers and rapists dipshit NY Appeals Court judges.

Back
Top Bottom