• Celebrating One Year of Revival!

Come and join us in celebrating one year of GW's revival as GWF, share in some statistics and help us push towards the next twenty years! CLICK HERE

We're also looking for suggestions for another community event we can put together that we can all enjoy! Come and give us some suggestions HERE
  • Our second year of the NFL Pick 'Em is open to join now. You can join directly here and get involved in the weekly threads over in the Picks forum.

Well-Hung Jury N64 vs. Playstation

Next up, PlayStation vs N64
Good one! Though I'd rather not do cases too similar to each other back-to-back. Also you're supposed to submit it in the sticky topic! :tease
Has the court even started if you didn't even bang your eggplant?
Season 3 Wtf GIF by The Simpsons

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
That's not even a debate the PlayStation Slaughters the N64

As a loyal PS owner from the first console, I have to disagree on the phrasing “slaughters”. PSX didn’t have game like SM64, Goldeneye, OoT, Pokémon, etc.

PSX absolutely slaughtered when it came to shooters, sports games, wrestling games, and racing games. N64 absolutely slaughtered when it came to multiplayer/party/co-op, platform, and fighting games. They both had their own segments that they dominated in, which is why a lot of people consider that to be a golden era of gaming. Each console offered a different experience, necessitating owning them all if you were really into gaming.

Each has its strengths imo

As a loyal PS owner from the first console, I have to disagree on the phrasing “slaughters”. PSX didn’t have game like SM64, Goldeneye, OoT, Pokémon, etc.

PSX absolutely slaughtered when it came to shooters, sports games, wrestling games, and racing games. N64 absolutely slaughtered when it came to multiplayer/party/co-op, platform, and fighting games. They both had their own segments that they dominated in, which is why a lot of people consider that to be a golden era of gaming. Each console offered a different experience, necessitating owning them all if you were really into gaming.
Yall spoiling a good court case by having it out here before it even starts! :chuckle

I suppose there's no reason we can't have two going simultaneously.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Yall spoiling a good court case by having it out here before it even starts! :chuckle

I suppose there's no reason we can't have two going simultaneously.

I’ll take the contempt charge for that one. At this rate, we’re gonna have to have a whole different record of everyone’s rap sheet.

I give you SM64 and OOT, but Goldeneye doesnt really hold up, and the Pokemon games on the N64 were very lack luster compared to the portable games and would be forgotten if not for the Pokemon coat of paint.

There are good games on the N64, but no where near the number of the PS1

PSX absolutely slaughtered when it came to shooters, sports games, wrestling games, and racing games. N64 absolutely slaughtered when it came to multiplayer/party/co-op, platform, and fighting games.

Dont forget RPGs

All party games suck, fight me!

Other than SM64 the platformers arent that great on the N64, they were nothing but collect a thons and its a horrible game design

Cant comment on fighting, would have thought more PS1 due to the likes Tekken and Dead or Alive

Smacktard

Connoisseur of fine video games
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
but Goldeneye doesnt really hold up
It's funny that I see this claim applied to Goldeneye specifically all the time, but few other games from that era.
the Pokemon games on the N64 were very lack luster compared to the portable games
Stadium 2 was pretty robust and fleshed out, and the minigames in each were pretty great.

PS1 offered more in terms of jRPGs, racing, and fighting. N64 offered more in terms of platformers, action/adventure, party, and couch co-op. PS1 had more titles, and N64 had higher quality titles IMO.

Jawneh

The Courier
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
I can't really hate on Playstation even if I'm probably slightly more biased towards the N64. I did have both and plenty of games for both.

I already declare this contest null. They're both great.

Jawneh

The Courier
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
No.

It would have been monopolized long before it was in the current timeline.
Maybe. But i doubt even nintendo couldve monopolized a home disc gaming console for that long. Hell, maybe Sega could've stayed alive longer without Sony being in the market with their own thing.

The very least Xbox would rattle the market some years later, but that's a whole other thing.

Mark

Dumbass Progenitor
Administrator
GW Elder
Maybe. But i doubt even nintendo couldve monopolized a home disc gaming console for that long. Hell, maybe Sega could've stayed alive longer without Sony being in the market with their own thing.

The very least Xbox would rattle the market some years later, but that's a whole other thing.

It would have likely given them enough breathing room to organically monopolize the market, though. The original PlayStation would have been launched years sooner with no real contender, and set in motion a generation that Microsoft didn’t have an entry to, and Sega Saturn wasn’t quite capable of competing with in terms of library volume.

Jawneh

The Courier
GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
It would have likely given them enough breathing room to organically monopolize the market, though. The original PlayStation would have been launched years sooner with no real contender, and set in motion a generation that Microsoft didn’t have an entry to, and Sega Saturn wasn’t quite capable of competing with in terms of library volume.
For Sega I was thinking more in line of Dreamcast. It's very likely the market was too eaten up by Sonytendo at that point, but there also may not have been such a poaching of developers at lower prices like Sony did solo. So who knows. They did do great by opening the market for many devs to work on the PS.

As for Microsoft, they would've still came and do great. I would say a Sonytendo monopoly would've toppled easier than the duopoly of the two, especially with their respective IPs.

N64.

I don't like JRPGs or the horribly slow load times of the PS1.

The RE2 port proved that you could squeeze almost any game from the era onto a single cart.

The N64 had the worse controller of the generation, especially after the Dual Shock was releases.

The N64 has worse sound, and can have pretty blurry graphics. Funny thing about the blurry graphics was that it was completely unnecessary to add the AA (in many games).
Texture sizes and composite cables did all the work for the AA. I get why they did it, but emulators (or a Game Shark hack) removing the AA filter from games proved that games could look REALLY FUCKING GOOD.
The N64 also suffers from a total lack of 2D games. There are a few that use 2.5D and there's that game from Treasure that appears to use a "3D" like seen in the DKC games, but 2D sidescrollers and fighting games were a non-factor because they leaned heavily into 3D.

3D is MUCH better on the N64. Texture size limitation keep the overall potential of the N64 lower than it should, but one cannot argue that the 3D simply looks much better.add on.

N64 has 4 player MP without an addon. But the PS1 put the memory cards as plug ins for the system instead of the controller and automatically had rumble with the Dual Shock controllers.

PS1 played CDs.

PS1 had a larger library. N64 has better games at the top and aside from a few notorious stinkers didn't really hit the lows that the PS1 had.

The MK games were better on the N64, despite sound deficiencies.

Because of the better 3D performance, racing games were plentiful on the N64 (no Need for Speed for no good reason, though...)

I think the 64 controller was awesome. For all the complaints about having only one stick, controllers typically had zero before the n64 came along. Also was the first idea to make shoulder buttons that were more like triggers, and came up with the rumble feature.

Yes improvements were made, but you have the pioneer to thank for them.

Kind of shocked at all the 64 love

Mario 64, Mario Kart and OOT are the only games I'd consider A Tier (I'm sure I'm forgetting 1 or 2)

Psx has FF7, 8,9 and tactics, Chrono cross, Xenogears, MGS, Symphony of the Night, GT2, Tekken, Twisted Metal, Silent Hill, Brave Fencer Musashi, Suikoden 1&2,and dozens more that if aren't A tier for me, many people loved

I wonder how much of it is the fact it's what they had. I had a Genesis but could admit the SNES was better

I think the 64 controller was awesome. For all the complaints about having only one stick, controllers typically had zero before the n64 came along. Also was the first idea to make shoulder buttons that were more like triggers, and came up with the rumble feature.

Yes improvements were made, but you have the pioneer to thank for them.
I replaced the thumbstick on one of my controllers with an aftermarket one that is like the Gamecube thumbstick. It feels so good.

I need to get around to trying the Retro Fighters Brawler 64 at some point.

I owned both, but the only PS1 games I actually remember having that were enjoyable were GTA2 and some Tony Hawk stuff. I put that console away early and never went back, but I've dug out my N64 on multiple occasions. Maybe I just personally didn't own the good stuff, but I've clocked way more hours into even my Genesis than my PS1. The N64 has way too many great titles for this to even be a fair fight for me. Honestly, the only Sony systems I got thorough enjoyment out of were PS3 and PS4 so far.

canadaguy

Poop Head
GW Elder
I owned both, but the only PS1 games I actually remember having that were enjoyable were GTA2 and some Tony Hawk stuff. I put that console away early and never went back, but I've dug out my N64 on multiple occasions. Maybe I just personally didn't own the good stuff, but I've clocked way more hours into even my Genesis than my PS1. The N64 has way too many great titles for this to even be a fair fight for me. Honestly, the only Sony systems I got thorough enjoyment out of were PS3 and PS4 so far.
Wait... 3 and 4 but not 2?

Like did you not play video games during that generation? Lol

• They’re Right, You Know?
Reactions: Kat
Wait... 3 and 4 but not 2?

Like did you not play video games during that generation? Lol
I really only played Gamecube at that time. I had a PS2 but I couldn't tell you what I even owned besides SmackDown vs. Raw games. There wasn't much PS-exclusive stuff at the time that interested me or that I even knew about, and the Gamecube library was pretty damn strong so I didn't need much else. There's a few PS2 games I wish I had tried looking back, but I wasn't big on the more realistic/violent stuff until later on.

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Mario 64, Mario Kart and OOT are the only games I'd consider A Tier (I'm sure I'm forgetting 1 or 2)
Smash Bros? Star Wars Rogue Squadron? Paper Mario? Star Fox 64? All absolute bangers, too.

Edit:
Also, would argue that Bomberman 64 and the Gorman games ought to be on the list too if Musashi makes the PS1 list.

Last edited:
One of the biggest surprises of my life was when I spent enough time on the internet to find out that the PS1 was generally preferred to the N64 (though that might just have been certain parts of Reddit being Reddit). Every person I knew growing up had an N64 and I didn't know a single person with a PS1. On top of that, you had SM64, OoT, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, DK64, etc. I might argue it has the strongest lineup of games ever. I'm probably just nostalgic for my childhood, but I don't see this as a close competition at all.

Smash Bros? Star Wars Rogue Squadron? Paper Mario? Star Fox 64? All absolute bangers, too.

Smash meh, especially the first one

Star Wars is solid

Paper Mario games I have zero interest in (I also am in the camp that Super Mario RPG is one of the most overrated games ever and it's a C level game only propped up by the Mario paint, looks nice, but there story and characters are lacking even for its time)

Star Fox 64 is a banger though, I always forget about it though

Edit:
Also, would argue that Bomberman 64 and the Gorman games ought to be on the list too if Musashi makes the PS1 list.

Im not a bomberman fan, I havent played the 64's Gorman but I did enjoy the SNES version

One of the biggest surprises of my life was when I spent enough time on the internet to find out that the PS1 was generally preferred to the N64 (though that might just have been certain parts of Reddit being Reddit). Every person I knew growing up had an N64 and I didn't know a single person with a PS1. On top of that, you had SM64, OoT, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Super Smash Bros, Mario Kart, Diddy Kong Racing, DK64, etc. I might argue it has the strongest lineup of games ever. I'm probably just nostalgic for my childhood, but I don't see this as a close competition at all.

I think its an age thing, younger got N64 and older and teens more likely got the PS1

PS1 destroyed the N64 in sales, hell even in Japan I think the Saturn sold more than the N64

Smacktard

GWF Sponsor
GW Elder
Paper Mario games I have zero interest in (I also am in the camp that Super Mario RPG is one of the most overrated games ever and it's a C level game only propped up by the Mario paint, looks nice, but there story and characters are lacking even for its time)
Platformer navigation + timed hits is a recipe for excellent and engaging RPG design, and I don't know why more games don't do this. Paper Mario is excellent. If you were turned off by the aesthetic, you should really give it a shot. Bug Fables is a fantastic Paper Mario-like, but with the difficulty ramped up quite a bit.

Last edited:
My understanding is that PS1 had more good games, but the good games that n64 had were the best ones of the generation. Quagmire is probably the only person I've ever seen take the n64 hits and go "those games were meh."

Also I'm always surprised nobody brings up Ape Escape whenever this topic comes up. That game was gold and it made such fun use of the dual shock controller.

My top PS1 games in no particular order were

FF7
Symphony of the Night
FF9
Ape Escape
Worms Armageddon

Back
Top Bottom